WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Current Projects in the Classical Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=338)
-   -   Cafe Michelangelo- May- 2016 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404517)

artbyjune 05-01-2016 03:23 AM

Cafe Michelangelo- May- 2016

Happy May Day!

What are you all planning to do artistically for May?

I am starting another Surrealism thread soon...requested by Lisa. (Lisaastrup)

Hope you are in for a bit of surrealism this month!

:thumbsup: :grouphug:

Nickel 05-01-2016 10:32 AM

Re: Cafe Michelangelo- May- 2016

Happy May Day!

Queen Guinevere's Maying, by John Collier

artbyjune 05-03-2016 02:46 AM

I love the film musical Camelot!

brianvds 05-05-2016 06:20 AM

Today's sketch - the Anglican church in the mining town of Cullinan. It's more than a hundred years old:

brianvds 05-13-2016 02:42 AM

Been playing around with pen and wash. The camera messed up the colours a bit:

brianvds 05-13-2016 03:40 AM

I have found a way to deal with boring conversations without seeming rude or unsociable. What is the point nowadays of meeting in groups anyway, seeing as everyone just sit there staring at their infernal cell phones or the TV? I don't have a smart phone, so when that happens, there I sit, bored out of my skull.

But there's a simple solution: I nowadays always keep a little mini-clipboard at hand, with pieces of scrap paper, so when the people around me get dull, I get scribbling in a thoroughly non-serious way. It's fun, and one actually learns a great deal in the process.

So here are some random, utterly non-serious scribbles:

brianvds 05-18-2016 11:54 PM

I have taken to making handmade greeting cards again - some small pen and wash sketches for the purpose:

tyree 05-19-2016 03:04 PM

hi everyone !!!

brian ...glad your keeping busy with your little drawings ...at work:lol:..great idea ! i like the lord commander too ! and the w/c wash is quite lovely !

nothing much going on with me...work..and home ...work and home..and the rainy season is here in southwest floriday..wow !!
i did do a parrot ..w/c and mech pencil ! nothing great..but it was fun !!!

tyree:grouphug:

tyree 05-21-2016 12:37 PM

well the summertime weather is here...hot..muggy..buggy..rainy:)
having alot of trouble with my right eye ..flashes of light..specs..etc..guess its back to the eye doctor:(...
did work on these grapes last nite...w/c with pencil..
have a great weekend...tyree :wink2:

brianvds 05-21-2016 12:49 PM

Nice watercolors. Sorry to hear about your eye trouble. My own right eye is not the best either. I seem to have lost a great deal of visual acuity in the right eye. Noticed yesterday when watching a TV show at a friend's house, that with my right eye, I cannot read the subtitles. They mostly disappear into a blur.

I guess we're getting old...

artbyjune 05-22-2016 01:35 PM

Lovely sketches Brian and Tyree! I am kind of engrossed in making art journal pages for a group swap...4 people in the group...subject is Indian elephants. Its taking me a lot longer than I expected.

My eyes are not great either..but I am not keen on the eye doctor visits and so I am battling on regardless. With hope I guess!

I hope your eyes get better Tyree. Is it a problem you've had before? Iseem to remember.

I am using my android so its taking ages to type..I really should get up off my armchair and go to the computer!!!

tyree 05-22-2016 05:11 PM

Hi June ! i had my cataracts removed last year from both eyes..
today its not quite as furious with the flashes of light and squiggles..but im hoping it will go away soon...very soon !
that sounds like a very interesting project your working on..
maybe you can show us !!!

Hi nickel ..brian...robin...janet !!! happy sunday !:wave:

azulparsnip 05-23-2016 08:15 AM

So good to see your wonderful art:thumbsup:

Susan - even before I read the words of you post I could see the enthusasim in that parrot portrait....and the grapes,,,, wow, they look like quasi pastel or gouach.....unusual solid for watercolor.....very nice. Sorry about the eye troubles. What are we gonna do, eh.......A friend was telling me the other that a while back when she and her husband were sitting outside in shorts with their grandchild the child looked at granpa's age spotted legs and cried out in dismay - Grandma! Grandma! Grandpa's got oldness on him:( .....of course they laughed - what are ya gonna do..........:lol:

Brian - your sketches are so ALIVE......interestingly born from a place of peer-avoidance thru cell devices......it makes me sad so much how disconnected alot of people seem to be........alll the time flippin' out the phone/internet.........I think cards are a good art form cause you get the work into other hands and acquire skills alll at the same time:clap:

June - that sounds like a big project.....but since I made the junk journal I simply adore hand made books........aaaah, so many wonderful things to do, the real work seems to be being satisfied in the moment, not get "under" all that stuff........

Nickel - thanks for posting that painting.......makes wanna get out a quick sketch of it......but presently here and then have a meeting with some friends...so maybe later today.......Hope you May is lovely.

I've been working on accumulated sewing projects....here is a tea cozy I just finished! and a few sketches I manage because I can't bear to do something:lol: Like Brian said....it is really interesting how just these little doodle moments enrich...

love you guys........hope you get to some great place in your art work this week:grouphug:

brianvds 05-23-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azulparsnip
Brian - your sketches are so ALIVE......interestingly born from a place of peer-avoidance thru cell devices......it makes me sad so much how disconnected alot of people seem to be........alll the time flippin' out the phone/internet.........I think cards are a good art form cause you get the work into other hands and acquire skills alll at the same time:clap:

Thanks. And I like your whimsical sketch of umbrella people. ;-)

You are right: the greetings cards are a nice way to "work your way through art school", so to speak. Here are some more:

artbyjune 05-23-2016 04:34 PM

Beautiful tea cosy robin. It reminds me of a wonderful knitted one my aunt kept in her caravan. The tea in the pot kept warm for hours under it!! So amazingly effective!

Brian your pen and watercolour postcards are terrific.

I'm still slogging away painting elephants. Its enjoyable but since I have a deadline...its not as enjoyable as stress free painting. I'm thinking of it as practise for future paintings with elephants in them..practise helping me to discover quicker ways to paint them!!

Will post photos when I can. Have a lovely week.