WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Watercolor Studio (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=306)
-   -   March 2013 Watercolor Challenge - Tulips (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1309534)

Yorky 03-01-2013 03:05 AM

March 2013 Watercolor Challenge - Tulips

I was taken with Kreativek's Tutorial on Spring Florals starting at post#2 and I edited her Velvet Valentines tulips reference to use in my class. Unfortunately Kay couldn't find the original to put a large copy in the RIL, but here is her original:

Here is my simplified version which I used in class:

Here is my class demo, painted vertically. I placed them in a vase took around an hour including the sketch. on a quarter sheet of Saunders Waterford 200lb rough. Needs a little more work, another tulip and looks a bit wonky :) I know you can do better.

Hope you like the reference, have fun. You can follow Kay's tutorial if you wish.

here's a link to last month's Challenge. There's no real time limit on these challenges.

Doug

WthrLady 03-01-2013 07:06 AM

Re: March 2013 Watercolor Challenge - Tulips

Ahhhhhh!
Stress reliever, had to be done.

Hmmm. Now, how to approach this one?

Loose? Tight?
Change the flower colours?
Realistic? Impressionistic? Cubist?

Think think think. .......

Terranova 03-01-2013 07:53 AM

Hi Doug,
thanks for this challenge :)
I've seen the ref photo in the daily wash the other day and wanted to ask, whether I could use that... so this challenge fits perfectly :)

A happy painting to everybody
Gaby

ArtsyMom 03-01-2013 08:19 AM

Hi Doug, a sure sign of Spring, tulips, love how you painted them. Will try my hand at these tulips.

KreativeK 03-01-2013 10:53 AM

Hey Doug, so good to see the tutorial being revived, just like Spring time, when all comes back to life. You've done a super job on the tulips. Sorry could not find a digital file for you; the editing looks great. Who knows? I might try it again.

WthrLady 03-01-2013 11:00 AM

Started..... Hmmmmm we shall see

Mike3839 03-01-2013 11:18 AM

Doug, You did a fantastic job on your painting. This should be an interesting challenge.

Mike

Artcat369 03-01-2013 05:44 PM

Dang...they're beautiful, but those reds and purples are challenging! Could I make yellow or peach ones????!!!:lol:

M.L. Schaefer 03-01-2013 07:56 PM

Well, dang, Doug...how can we compete?

Right now, I'm still working on the Hibiscus challenge...I can't paint everyday so I'm way behind (I'm determined to paint green leaves natural to the Hibiscus but not as shown in the reference!) (I love autumn leaves and want to try to bring the same kind of excitement to green leaves - good luck to me on that one!)

So, can we paint another tulip picture if we are scarey of not being able to paint the reference as beautifully as it's already been done? Or, as asked above, different colors?

:heart: Margarete

Yorky 03-02-2013 03:21 AM

Come now Margarethe, we are not counting the number of leaves here :)

Artcat, it's a Valentine tulip, you wouldn't get away with yellow ones :lol:

I used Permanent Rose and Napthol Red but any warm and cool reds would do.

Doug

kayakartist 03-02-2013 10:41 AM

Looks good, Doug...like the blue vase. Not very good at florals, but will give it a try!

WthrLady 03-02-2013 10:57 AM

They are slowly driving me insane!

M.L. Schaefer 03-02-2013 11:42 AM

Poor, Margarethe, SHE would NEVER ask a question like that!:) Okay, Doug, I will give it a try...I do have some ideas for the subtle color changes on the reds!

:heart: Margarete

WthrLady 03-02-2013 12:23 PM

Please tell me this was the simpler of the two choices for this month. I can't imagine the hard one!!

Slowly ploughing along.

I'm waiting for someone to do this one really loose and fast. I love those, but can't do it!

Yorky 03-02-2013 12:30 PM

You will thank me Caryl, here was the other candidate :)

Doug