WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Illustration (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Coffee Break! 9/27 - 10/3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218986)

designbyjen 09-27-2004 10:31 AM

Coffee Break! 9/27 - 10/3

1 Attachment(s)
Mornin' y'all - welcome to the weekly chat thread in the Illustration Forum. Pull up a chair, grab your favorite beverage and tell us what's happening with you this week. If this is your first time joining us, this is the thread where you share your thoughts, dreams, challenges, woes with your neighbors across the world - so come on in and tell us about what's happening -

Grab a cuppa joe and here we go!
Last weeks thread for you partying weekenders:
http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthre...9&page=2&pp=15

again.....overwhelmed w/ all sorts of stuff & no time to check all the threads...but i just had to share my new 'threads'! check out my new jammies ;)
i'll be pasting down all these neato recipes...keep em' com'in!
also...welcome new posters....what's in your daily grind?--this is the place to share :wave:

Sketch22 09-27-2004 01:39 PM

thoughts, dreams, challenges.... ect.

Good morning all, and a happy new week to you.

Here are my thoughts for the week, this week will mark the end of my second month at home. In two months of being purposefully unemployed, I haven't begun to work on my portfolio. The first month was moving, settling in, unpacking ect. The second month is sort of a blur, what did I do with all the time? laundry?
Hubby is off to work each morning and getting used to his new job and I am squandering all this free time that I used to cherish SO much! My goal is to have a great portfolio and to have a killer sample sheet to send to children's book publishers and magazines. It is going to take some major work and concentration, some focus, I am starting to wonder if I am capable.
If another month goes by and I can't get myself in gear, I may have to consider other options, I hate to waste time, I feel like this is my big chance to go for my dream career, but if I end up not accomplishing anything then I will feel like I made a big mistake.
Heavy thoughts I know, maybe I need another cup of coffee to get me going :)
Anyway, Thanks for the posts, I have begun to find this site a big encouragement and learning tool. Later!

AFM159 09-27-2004 05:49 PM

Re: Coffee Break! 9/27 - 10/3

Hey gang! In and out quick today, busy, busy, busy.

Had an impromtu feast this last Saturday! Invited some friends over for dinner, figured just some brats and dogs, nothing big, and they show up with two ice chests full of seafood and a 10gallon propane cooker! So we had an awesome seafood boil! Crablegs, Shrimp, fresh Corn on the Cob, New Potatoes, Cajun Sausage! And to be authentic, we covered the picnic table in newspaper and just dumped the food out, gathered round, and pigged out! What a surprise and lotsa fun!

Sketch22 - you can do it! Think of yourself as a professional, act like a professional, be the professional. Before you know it, it'll happen!

TedDawson 09-27-2004 06:57 PM

Sketchy, that's easy... all you need is a deadline! :evil:

Your assignment is to write or find an 8-line poem and create an illustration for it. Due next Monday. :angel:

Axl 09-27-2004 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFM159
Sketch22 - you can do it! Think of yourself as a professional, act like a professional, be the professional. Before you know it, it'll happen!

Haha thats some good advice!! Perhaps I shall start abiding by it myself :D

Axl 09-27-2004 07:40 PM

ok so I said I'd post recipes last time too. heh. Hopefully y'all find these one handy. They get me through the year. heh. Theres a few more I gotta type up. I merely went back and copied pasted these from an old thread in the students dorm. They are yummy tho!

No Chicken Chicken Noodle Soup

* 1 pkg of No Name Chicken Noodle Soup (big yellow package, makes 4 servings of soup
* 2 or 3 stalks of Green Onions
* 1 or 2 medium carrots, chopped
* A handfull of noodles (those spiral ones are good)
* A handfull of Rice
* Some chopped, cooked chicken, if you have it (but then it wouldnt be no chicken chicken noodle soup now would it?? )
* Atleast 5 cups of water - depending on how much of the ingredients you add, it could need more. If your worried about adding tooo much water, you can add some additional chicken stalk if you want
* Curry Powder (your preference as to how much)

Put the water in a pot and add some curry, and bring it to a boil. When it boils, throw in the carrots, rice, and noodles. Bring back up to a boil, and then simmer for some 10 minutes, to cook the rice, noodles, and to make the carrots soft. Then, add the green onions, chicken if you have it, and the package of soup. Stir well, to make sure everything is all stired together, and continue to simmer for about 5 - 7 more minutes, until the little noodles in the soup package are done. Voila, good soup and it was super easy to do! Usually this lasts me for a couple days, and it goes good with grilled cheese.

-------------------------

Tuna Casserole

* 1 can of Tuna or Chicken, drained and mashed up
* 1 can of Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Celery soup
* 1/4 cup of Milk
* Salt, Pepper, and some allspice if you want
* 2 or 3 cups of Cooked Noodles (The spiral ones, or macaroni work well)
* Some frozen veggies, cooked (like the mixed pees, carrots, and beans)
* 3 or 4 slices of bread - better if stale, or the heals
* 3 or 4 tbsp butter
* Gratted cheese, or Slices of processed cheese

If you havent already dont so, cook your noodles and your frozen veggies - you can even cook them in the same pot if you want, since you are only doing it in water, and it'll probably take around the same amount of time to do anyways. Dump this mixture in the bottom of your casserole dish. Also, add in your can of Tuna or Chicken, mashed up and seperated with a fork. Stir it all together. After this is done, put it aside, and you'll need to get a measuring cup and a small bowl (unless you have a big measuring cup in which case just do it all in the measuring cup). In your 1/4 cup of milk, mix in the can of soup, and add your salt, pepper, and allspice. Combine well, and then dump it overtop of the noodles n stuff. Mix it together well, so its all blended together. Then, take your bread, and rip it up into loonie-sized chunks. Melt your butter in the microwave, or over the stove, and then mix it over the bread to cover the bread in butter. Lay these out overtop of the caserole as a crust, and sprinkle with grated cheese (or lay out a few slices of processed cheese)
Bake in the oven for around 15-20 minutes, at 350*, until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden brown.

------------------------------

Curry Rice

* Rice
* Water (The rice ratio is 1 part rice to 2 parts water, but we'll need a plash more than that because we are also cooking veggies)
* Curry Powder
* Handful Frozen veggies, like pees and carrots
* Handful of Raisens
* Handful of chopped Almonds
* Handful of Pine Nuts if you found some money on the ground and don't know wha to do with it - lol

Add curry powder to the water, and then boil the rice and veggies at the same time. Cook until rice and veggies are done. Add raisens and nuts, and mix together. Eat and be happy!

----------------------------------

Chunky Tomato Chicken Soup

* 1 can of diced chopped tomatoes, juice and all
* Cooked chunks of chicken or turkey, or cooked hamburger or chickenburger
* 1 can of Tomato Soup
* 1 tomatoe soup-sized can of Water
* 1 can of whole Corn kernels, drained
* 1 can of Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
* Mushrooms, chopped
* 1 Onion, chopped
* 1 clove Garlic, chopped
* 1 tbsp Cyanne Pepper
* 1 tsp Worchesterchire Sauce

In a small frying pan, fry up your onion and garlic until soft and slightly brown. From there, basically throw all the inredients into one big pot, stir well, and then simmer over the stove for about 30 minutes, until heated well and it has slightly thickened. Its very good, expecially with some nice chunky bread.

Like I said there are a few more. heh I'm going to post my recipe for sushi of anyone feel adventurous. And I'm going to bugg matt for the morrocan lemon chicken with green olive recipe because its to die for!!!

Axl 09-27-2004 08:03 PM

But anyways. I've been SWAMPED with school work lately. Heh. Fun. I''ve been trying to keep everything to a healthy balance. But is has been pretty demanding. I spend most of my time on the computer doing homework, or other assignments. This whole animation thing is making me tear my head off. I've worked, some 5 hours every day since thursday. and i only have 30 seconds of it compltely. I need a minute come thursday. Wee.

I'm thinking about hiring people..

Anyways. Today we did the absolute funnest thing. We each were assigned different body parts and had to sculpt them life-size in paper. then put it all together in one live-size paper freak man/girl. It was awesome. Now we're drawing it. Ohh.. what a character it is...

Anyways. yeah. Animation. And big drawing have been consuming my life. Tonight i need to make a priliminary sketch for an ilustration to go on a bottle of body lotion. Speaking of body lotion I need to take a shower. Drawing in charcoal makes me lookg like a miner.

In an attempt to get myself out of the house I've decided to by a laptop with some of my student loany money since I dont have to pay all $5,000 of the tuition... ahh... so then I can work my ass off in rather social environments. Even if that just means at the local coffee shop.

I'm going to become one of those people who just sit in coffee shops with their laptop and drink expresso all day :)

In other news i'm GOING TO ONTARIO!!!!!

woooo

I scored a $1 flight from jetsgo.ca. The return flight I managed to scam for $70. heh. So from the 15th to the 18th of october i'm going to ontario to visit ma man... hehehe. Anyways I havent been there before and i'm encredibly excited about going! Ahhhh yeahhhh. We're going to chill in Toronto for a day or 2, and then go back to his home in Kitchener. Cant wait :D

Anyways. WHen I ge the laptop I'll fill you all in about it. heheh. Right now i think supper is done... must go eat now...

designbyjen 09-27-2004 11:01 PM

hey sketch...honestly...the best thing to happen to me motivational-wise was listening to what else...'motivational speakers'. ha ha! this happened when my husband got laid off for 4 months & investigated a multi-level mktg. company (hey, he got free training) but didn't stick w/ them cuz pay & product was lousey. anyways...they pushed all this kinda 'self improvement' tapes & cd's to listen to & i listened to everything he did. at first i thought it seemed cheesy, but in listening to the stuff like steven covey's '7 habits of highly effective people'...i realized i never thought about ordering my life around my desires & striving for goals in an organized manner. i still do a weekly sit-down w/ my husband & we go over what all has to be done in a week & i always try to put extra stuff down on there to push me w/ my art. covey has a 'weekly worksheet' in that book that is good to jump-start from--i just scribble stuff out--his is pretty anal going down to hourly committments.
but anyways...it IS hard to encourage yourself...esp. if your spouse isn't a total artist & you've moved away from any support group you've had. so hang out here for the encouragement...but give yourself a 'kick in the butt plan' and put the writing on the wall.
p.s....if your husband listens to a tape or cd or reads something like this with you...then you BOTH can hold eachother accountable to achieve your goals & dreams. this of course being a super kick in the pants for both of you.
p.s.s....how 'bout taking ted's advice?

anyone ever had glorified ramen noodle soup? i did that in college...boil the noodles w/ peeler-thin carrots & thin celery & then add an egg at the end of the 3 minutes. trust me...not expensive & a person can live on that...living proof here.
i think i had sushi stuff in the seaweed rolls w/ rice. i could hardly get past the seaweed...think i plugged my nose, crammed it & had a coke chaser. so, don't think i've really gotten to appreciate the sushi alone, but i am adventurous. my dad made us kids eat deep-fried dandylion flowers & other assorted 'weird' things & i lived :p

wonderful idea to get the laptop axl! gonna get it thru the good ol' employee discount, at work?

~~~jen

TedDawson 09-28-2004 12:01 AM

I was talking with a friend last night who's a freelance children's illustrator. She talked very enthusiastically about the SCBWI conferences. There's one in Houston in November. She said they really fired her up, and the speakers are great. You can attend whether you're a member or not. There'll be everyone from veteran writers and illustrators to folks like us who are just starting out in the field. Something to think about.

SCBWI Houston

Sketch22 09-28-2004 12:46 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all of the advice, I really appreciate it. I feel like I really have found a support group!

Ted, I may take you up on that assignment, I am already racking my brain to come up with a poem :) Deadline by Monday!

AFM159, I am going to try to think, act and be proffesional this week! (can one be proffesional in one's pajamas?)

DesignbyJen, Thank you for the great advice. I really could use some help organizing my time, I haven't read the 7 habits stuff, but it sounds good, I will try to look into that. A book that I have found helpful in other areas of life is "Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I just thougth I would throw a plug for that one out there, or if you want to know the principals that book is based on, just pick up The Good Book. ;) I like your idea (or Covey's) of making out a schedule. I should, but I also like to be flexible each day.

Ted, again thanks. The conference in Houston sounds like a great idea. I am definately going to look into it. Thanks!!

Axl, I love the idea of working on a laptop at a coffee shop all day... you get extra artist brownie points for every hour spent in a trendy coffee shop!

ok, one more question, I recently worked with a Wacom pad at my last job. I LOVED IT!!!! it made my job 20 times easier and faster. Now I am without one :( I want one! I am spoiled. The one I used was a giant one that appearanly costs like 3 thousand... My question, are the smallest ones worth buying? (the 4 x 6 ones or whatever the sizes.. they are $100 - $200 bucks.)
thanks for any info on this...

Sketch

ps. I put up a caricature of myself in the crazy caricatures project sticky, I had fun with it, but I don't think anyone has seen it yet, feel free to comment!

Axl 09-28-2004 03:00 AM

Mine is only, like, 4x6 but it definately does the job. I love it. it is awesome.

I agree that i would love a larger one too, and was hessitant about buying the small one because I didnt think it would suit my needs. But i've found out that it was much much handier than i would have ever imagined. its great. Best $100 i ever spent :D

Axl 09-28-2004 02:32 PM

Feeling a bit Old School Today

Sketch22 09-28-2004 05:27 PM

Axl, Thanks for the advice, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I think it will be my next major purchase, (yes a hundred dollars is major for me right now!!)

Ted!!! I have completed my assignment! I have written an 8 line poem and created an illustration for it. Now, what do I do with it? Should I post it here? If so, how?

Axl 09-28-2004 05:35 PM

How to post an image article:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/44487/496/

If you need more help you can pm me or ask in the new user channel ;)

Sketch22 09-28-2004 10:03 PM

My Assignment :)

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Axl, that was quite helpful.

Here is my piece in response to Ted's proposed assignment. I wrote the poem myself. It is pretty silly and childish, but that is what I was going for. Beneath is the illustration.

The poem:

There once was a woman who lived in a shoe,
She rented out the heel for a buck twenty-two.
She sat in the toe and sewed all the day
on a little scrap quilt where her kittens would lay.

One breezy spring morn, she walked into town
and bought a red shoelace for her house of brown,
She strung it up nice and tied it real tight,
and thought it looked fine in the bright sunlight.

From that morning on, children came to play
They swung on the laces from April to May.
The kittens were frightened and the renter left town
so the lady said "Goodness!" and took it back down.