WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Florals and Botanical (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   Plant Parade: May 2010 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619927)

Sharrm 05-01-2010 08:47 PM

Plant Parade: May 2010

Welcome to the May 2010 edition of the Floral/Botanical project

Spring is in Full Bloom now in the Northern Hemisphere………..
So I thought that this month, we’d do a flower that blooms this time of year, for a few weeks that we all Oh, and Ah….about, and then wait until they open their fabulous blooms again next year,
…….“The Poppy”…… .

These wonderful flowers, of many different varieties, are found all over the world, from the Antelope Valley, in California, to the Himalayan mountains, to the fields of France and Iceland.
They are also used as a symbol all over the world for War Veterans.
There’s even some poems about them, one of the most famous being…” In Flanders Fields”………the Poppies blow, Beneath the crosses, row on row………written by Canadian John McCrae (link to more info: HERE )

They come in some fabulous colors, from Orange to purple red to whites. Many varieties, from singles, to double, Oriental and Ice Poppies. So many to choose.

There are few 'rules' - the main one being we do not reveal any work until 25th of the month.

Any medium Any size, is welcomed
Use any one or more of the photos shown here, or in the RIL.
You are also free to use your own photo’s.
Crop, enlarge, (I would love to see some macros), miniaturize, simplify, and exaggerate ... whatever you wish, but make your main focus
The........"POPPY"

Above all - enjoy yourselves!!!

This Months References:

These are all from our own Reference Library.
larger versions can be found there here's the link for the
Poppies.......HERE
and a thank you to all the members who contributed them who's names will be beside each photo. :)

madmum
IRONHORSE
janezel
noreenemc
Pilan
shannonsart
olika
HollyLL
bairam

sweFanta

Hope you can join us this month for some painting and fun.
Start early, but don't post it/them till the 25th.
See You There..... :wave:

artastic 05-01-2010 09:38 PM

Re: Plant Parade: May 2010

wonderful theme! I see one poppy ref I have painted from the RIL

hope I can get it done LONG before the day OF

Antiqueteacher 05-02-2010 01:00 AM

I just asked. . .and you answered: Poppies!! I have always wanted to paint them, so let's do it!!! Great choice, Sharron!! I'm in!!

Katherine

Signchick 05-02-2010 10:32 AM

Oh YAY, Sharrm!! I love poppies! WooHoo!! :D

Charlie's Mum 05-02-2010 11:58 AM

Gorgeous refs Sharron - and I feel inclined to paint HUGE!! - Ya never know ;)

Thanks for hosting - hope you enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Sharrm 05-02-2010 01:45 PM

Well, with Artists like you guys on board I know for sure this is going to be a great month. Thank you !!! :)
So get your creative juices flowing, and paint some fantastic POPPIES, for all to see!!!

Katherine......I'm like you, I love Poppies, but have never done a poppy painting as yet. Most of these refs have been sitting in my files for some time. They are some of my favorites, future paintings, you know the files, we all have them.

I've got some huge canvases here just waiting. Tomorrow I go get huge brushes, I'm going Large too Maureen!!! And probably a Macro. Shall we challenge each other Maureen ??? :evil: and anyone else that wants to paint HUGE as Marueen stated.......want to Join in ???? We can spur each other on. :)
I especially love that second from the top reference with all the wonderful colors, and it's frilly top. Wonderful composition from Ironhorse.
:wave:

Vivien Maloney 05-02-2010 03:37 PM

Gorgeous photos Sharron! I don't know what size I'll do yet, still thinking about it, but I'm in for it too, as I've always wanted to paint poppies.

maryhysong 05-02-2010 05:18 PM

ooh yummy poppies; it is the height of the California poppy season here right now [those are those little orange ones] sometimes when the sun is bright a big patch of them will be so bright it hurts your eyes! But I also love all the oriental and field ones too.... And then there is a wild one you don't have in the refs... I'm not sure of the botanical name, we call it prickle poppy, the flowers look a lot like the orientals but the plant is bushy and prickly! I'll post a ref photo for you if I can get out and find some growing and get a good pic.

Ruthie57 05-02-2010 05:41 PM

Wow Sharm, great theme and wonderful photos to work from. I'll try and do at least one and give a bit more time to it than I did last month.

Judy2U 05-02-2010 10:08 PM

I'm in! I'm in! :)
Judy

Sharrm 05-03-2010 12:17 AM

Vivien, Mary, Ruthie, and Judy, you are so welcomed, glad you are here, and like what I came up with. :D
We are so lucky to have such a wonderful Library, with such fabulous Refs. That's why I think it is so important that we mark down the members names when we use them, and thank them personally in our posts, when we show our paintings.
I've PM'd every one of the members who's Ref I've posted here, so they can see the results of their contribution., maybe even join in our Project too.
Mary.....yes, please do post a photo of the wild ones you are talking about. Would love to see them. :)
That first photo with the mountains in the background I think is from the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve in California. I've seen many pictures of it, would love to see it one day. It's really something!!!

Something to think about too,........ if you sell your paintings. Poppy paintings sell very well, everybody, loves them, they put smiles on people's faces. I find it hard to say the word poppy without smiling myself. :D
So lets do some good paintings this month. :evil:
Also if you are good with landscapes, there are loads of refs in the poppy file to do some from FR. Eng. and Italy. I just had to limit myself, or I'd have posted the whole bunch.:lol: ;)

peak 05-03-2010 06:17 AM

Yeah! Poppies! Great!
I didn't participate before because I make it a rule never to paint solely from other people's photos... and I haven't seen tulips and daffodils for close on 40 years!
But poppies I know, and I've got plenty of reference material of my own! (Not that your photos aren't beautiful, mind you, on the contrary: breath-taking would be more like it, especially photo no. 6 - that one really knocked my socks off!)
So - YES! Count me in for some poppies! :) :) :)

noodle1 05-03-2010 10:28 AM

Poppies, love them, mine are just about to pop too! Thanks for doing this and for the wonderful selections. I'm definitely going to give it a go!

Elaine

geminisinger 05-03-2010 04:44 PM

Oh goody! Poppies are my favorite flowers to paint. I just finished a poppy painting that was 48" x36", Sharron...and it was really fun to paint those bold blooms BIG!!! Please count me in for this project. Thanks for coming up with a great idea!
Jackie

Scattykat 05-03-2010 05:21 PM

wonderful subject, hope I can play...