WetCanvas

WetCanvas (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/index.php)
-   Artwork from Life (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   Dec 06 Sketchcrawl #3 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387640)

wabbitt 12-11-2006 02:24 AM

Dec 06 Sketchcrawl #3

Went out on Saturday but had to change plans on where I wanted to go because I had my Mom with me and the weather turned windy & wet. All these are pen, watersoluble graphite, and/or watercolor in the large Moleskine watercolor sketchbook. I use the Koi pan watercolors with a waterbrush.

Started with a cup of coffee & cake at the beach house we were visiting...

Walked down to the beach. My first attempt at doing waves with watercolor, not that I'm any better in another medium. I seem to have lost some detail in the scan :confused:

I tried a tree at the street corner. Watercolor didn't come out as I had hoped but I think it looked better after I added ink.

wabbitt 12-11-2006 02:28 AM

Re: Dec 06 Sketchcrawl #3

Drove out to the mall after the walk at the beach.

This reindeer surfer dude was hanging everywhere in giant 10 foot wreaths.

This guy was sitting on a bench waiting for his wife who was shopping in JC Penny's.

Had lunch at Chester's Restaurant, where their Christmas theme was toy soldiers.

wabbitt 12-11-2006 02:31 AM

My most disappointing sketch...Out at Ventura Harbor / Channel Islands National Park Center. Overdid the coloring on the white boat. Skies were turning very gray and it was getting cold. Edit: Oh, it doesn't look as bad on the computer, hehe :)

Followed by my favorite sketch of the day..Mom took a rest on top of a park bench.

I tried to get back out to the beach this morning for more sketches but it was way too windy to get out paints. I went back to the car and threw my chair & stuff into the trunk and went for a long windy walk. Afterward I wish I would have kept the sketch book & a pen with me. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

JamieWG 12-11-2006 08:54 AM

Julie, these are great! You were really prolific. I have lots of favorites:
The tree at the street corner
The mall ink sketch
Reindeer surfer
Toy soldiers

Thanks so much for taking us along on your day. I hope to do mine tomorrow.

Don't you love that little Koi set? I have one too. :D

Please post a link to this thread from the main sketchcrawl thread when you get a chance. :)

Jamie

hopalong 12-11-2006 12:48 PM

Really nice set of sketchcrawl sketches. I love that you used wc. I like to do that too

wabbitt 12-11-2006 01:00 PM

Thanks for dropping by, Jamie & Linsay.

Jamie - For some reason I like the colors in the Koi set over the the W&N Cotman set of pocket watercolors.

arnica 12-11-2006 06:47 PM

I love the bright colors in your sketches, Julie. I think the one of your Mom on the bench is my favorite. I like the way you did her feet and kees. The mall sketch is super!

wabbitt 12-12-2006 08:37 PM

Thanks for dropping by, Arnica :)

gilligan1977 12-12-2006 09:41 PM

Hi, wabbitt! These are great! And how fun is it to see palm trees and Christmas decorations together :) .
I really like the one of your mom - good shadows & tones. The surfing reindeer is fun. And I like the bold, confident ink lines of your mall.
I use the Cotman pocket set, and I think your Koi set looks very vibrant and juicy. I really like the effect.
:)Monica

"J" 12-12-2006 10:06 PM

All very nice. I really like the way the tree turned out with the ink. The soldiers are really detailed and cute.

Mom looks comfy despite her bench. My first sketchcrawl I took two teens and they ended the day asleep too. At a park one on the bench and one on the table top. Fun time to sketch a person. At least they dont' move.

reiza 12-13-2006 05:45 AM

:eek: are u kidding wabbit????????? dissapointing with u're sketces???

Those are really GREAT.... almost all of them is my fave... really :thumbsup:
and the waves look real.. ^^ thanx for sharing it to us/me...:D

brianc 12-13-2006 08:54 AM

The mall sketch is my favorite of the bunch... or maybe breakfast.