PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Max Shirt - from Sendak Doll still life

ribeyedsmile
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
shirt
acrylic
10 x 7 apprx

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2012/188783-2012_max_shirt_lr.jpg

in studio, the still life in lower left

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Feb-2012/188783-maxwork_lr.jpg

susme48
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
This is nice!! Which way with the angel face on the shirt? how well do they last?

ribeyedsmile
02-06-2012, 07:26 AM
hi susan, Max is no angel in Sendaks' book. :)

The paint is done in the safest method I know. "Liquitex Artists" are used.
I thoroughly soak the colors into the fabric.

I expect loss of fine detail after third wash n dry. Then it will stabilize and cracking is expected. As long as nobody picks at it, this should hold.

I haven't coated it with a topcoat and maybe I should have. My niece will wear it in junior high school. I will ask about it to watch the expected decay.

Michael

Linee
02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Love that story. Great job on the still life.

noodle1
02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Agree great job!!

I use to paint on shirts, coats etc. a lot, for kids, grandkids and fun gifts to friends with acrylics and the Folk Art gold cap paints, they lasted a very long time before they or the details faded so yours may as well, some never faded. My granddaughter Karlie has several she's kept since she was like three..haha and now she's 20 and they're just fine course she can't wear them anymore...LOL
I'd use a hot iron on the reverse side of the shirt, couple of seconds but it seemed to set the paint even more since acrylics dry to touch quickly they still don't cure as quickly as people think especially on fabric and I always washed the shirts first, all cotton works the best I've found. Never used a topcoat tho.

She will love it I'm sure.

Elaine

susme48
02-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the info, Michael! :) Just never thought about doing it...:lol: . Never read the book, so I just guessed at the image...won't be the first time I was mistaken. :o

Smoker
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Susan this is sooo pretty! Great job!