PDA

View Full Version : Having fun with The Undertaker...

susme48
02-04-2012, 01:19 AM
I figured that while I was watching wrestling on tv, I would work on a wrestler...I thought nascar drivers would sell...but not so far. So the tacky part of me, that has to make a living, thought I'd see how wrestlers did...:lol: :lol: :crossfingers:

I am trying to learn when to quit, and paint looser...:confused: :lol:

The ref I got from taking a photos of the tv program on my big screen...it sux, but it is 'mine'....:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2012/51170-underref.JPG

This is a pitiful pic, but all I can get at night....lots of fun to do. Took about an hour...9x12 acrylic paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Feb-2012/51170-undertaker2a.JPG

Thanks for looking...C&C is welcome...

mooz49
02-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Susan this is great :thumbsup: .....he looks like he is trying to be a big mean man but I can see a little bit of fear in his eyes .....or is just it sympathy for his rival..... :eek:

Karen70
02-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Great picture, and nicely done.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
02-04-2012, 09:08 AM
i love the brush strokes and the colors u used

Wassie
02-04-2012, 12:12 PM
The ref I got from taking a photos of the tv program on my big screen...it sux, but it is 'mine'....:lol:

I have thought of taking photos of a tv image and using it for reference. But is this a copyright issue?

Charlie's Mum
02-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Definitely looser Sue and pretty good - I like the brushstrokes too.

As for copyright - it'll depend on the country - some do say that images such as these are copyright because the image is already made - by the tv cameras - don't know what the WC owners' legal team would say! - they haven't told us:)

susme48
02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
Here's a bit better photo...tho' with the rain, there is not so much light outside either...:o

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Feb-2012/51170-undertaker3a.JPG

Anne, Karen, Mz, and Wassie....thanks for looking!

Can't see how there would be a copyright issue, tho' I have been known to be wrong (:lol: :lol: :lol: ), as I see it, if I am at a public event, where cameras are not banned and any photo I take is mine...then it seems it would apply to tv as well. It is a public show...and I am not using their film to get a still shot, I am taking pot luck, the same as you would be at the event in person. I can see where they own the "best" shots, which can be had by sorting thru' each millisecond of film, to get a clear crisp shot.; but me, I am taking a shot at random, at a dif speed, view, etc...not sure if they could even duplicate it, or why they would want to. Then add the fact that I am trying to express what I see, which won't be anything like the photo. If I sketch while I watch, or from the way I have of making them 'stand still' for a minute...not sure either of them is different. If I took a photo of a still photo, such as a glamor shot or specific pose...that would definitely be copyright infringement, because someone else did the work to get the pose, the tilt of the head, etc....this, I don't think is the same. I believe from reading it would come under what is called "fair use" in copyright laws...since we are talking about a second of film at most, out of a two hour show.

As I said, I could be wrong, and my justifications could be way off.

Maureen...we cross posted. Would love to know what the legal team thinks, as my hours of studying copyright laws is a drop in the bucket compared to someone whose life is legal issues. I think my justification would stand, but I could be wrong. I have written to the tv people, but never got an answer; I am sure I should not just assume disinterest over something dumb to be the result of their not answering...tho' one might tend to. Will have to ask one of my lawyers, and see if they have an answer.

noodle1
02-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi Sue, you always did and obviously still do, do very well when you fly by the seat of your pants..haha Nice job girlfriend.

This copyright thing, have to say what makes sense to us often times does not make sense to the lawmakers, as well we know. All I know is that in truth, Screenshots are subject to the copyright of the displayed work, a video, television program, or a computer program unless it's published under a free license relating to 'all' content shown. In this case the Broadcaster or Producer of the show owns what is broadcasting in total...in essence. Falls under Audiovisual works eg..films, television broadcasts, video clips..all negated again with an issuing of a free license...actually I'm wondering if in the credits it's stated, never watch those myself tho..:D

Now whether or not that includes peoples faces in a general way or not..??
But with these guys it is there professional persona so does that change things, again don't know. I do know that if you are a photographer and want to take random photos of the public or an individual you actually have to ask them for permission. I'd be interested in hearing what a legal beagle would say too. The copyright laws are so involved with so many tunnels and ally ways..haha you could be reading and trying to make sense of them forever...:lol: Wonder if God can sue..we copy his stuff all the time..:D
Just being silly of course but that's how intense these copyright laws can get for goodness sake.

Elaine

Chia
02-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Whoa - scary looking dude! I think you could add a little to the feeling of menace by deepening that shadow over his eyes created by his hat. I like the looser background treatment & choice of colours. I can't add much to the copyright question, but I don't think I'd be too concerned being that it's a screen grab from a moving shot. Heaven knows, the paparazzi take unsolicited shots all the time, which are published by the thousands!

susme48
02-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Elaine...thanks so much for your input!! And your encouragement! It is not a screenshot...that I would worry about, since you have some control over it. I took a picture with my camera, of the moving pictures on the television....which left me absolutely no control over what I would catch...kind of like taking a photo at a sporting event....you might get a good shot, but likely as not it will be blurry, unless you have super camera equipment and know all those F-stop things...lol.

Thanks, Coralie! I might do that...tho' I am under orders to leave it alone...lol You know me, I don't know when to stop!

OkeeKat
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Real scarey looking fellow Susan, Great loose technique!!
Love the background colors too!!

susme48
02-04-2012, 11:34 PM
ty Kathie

chammi kaiser
02-08-2012, 05:52 AM
What a mean looking fellow. Susan, I like this a lot. Love the strong brushstrokes - gives the whole work so much more strength. Don't know too much about copyright but I hope you can get past that because I'm sure this will sell.

susme48
02-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Thank you so much Chammi!!