PDA

View Full Version : The Spotlight - September 2011 - Form

DAK723
08-31-2011, 11:30 PM
Welcome artists! :wave:

Here is a quick recap of what The Spotlight is all about!

The Spotlight is an activity thread for pastel artists of all experience levels working from photos chosen by a monthly host. Most months, the host will choose photos from only one subject, putting that subject into “the spotlight,” so to speak! For example, one month the subject will be painting water, another month will spotlight flowers, etc.

Some months, rather than spotlight a subject, the focus will be on a challenge of some sort. In those cases, we might have a wider variety of photo references, but “the spotlight” will be on the challenge itself.

Since this is a group activity, we can pool our knowledge and resources, and grow as artists in a fun, “no-pressure” atmosphere. And no critiques unless specifically asked for. The intent is to have fun, try new things, experiment, and perhaps most of all, to see what our friends and colleagues are painting from the same reference material!

Please note: The photos this month are taken by me, or are from the Reference Image Library. You have permission to use the photos as reference to create your artwork and to sell them and/or exhibit them. The actual photos still retain the copyright of the photographer. So you cannot copy the photo to your blog, for example, without the permission of the photographer, or digitally alter or reproduce the photo for any purpose other than for your personal use, with the exception of crops, digital alterations and posts of these photos within "The Spotlight" thread.

This month, “The Spotlight” is on...Form!

There are many aspects that go into making a painting, and sometimes it can seem overwhelming. Color, the manipulation of edges, atmospheric perspective, finding the right values – so many decisions to make! Sometimes, we are in such a hurry to get on with the painting process, we rush through the initial stages of composition and the sketching in of the major elements of the painting. But, these initial design decisions are often the backbone of the entire painting.

So, this month I thought it might be a good idea to try to simplify things a little and concentrate on one of the basic elements of any drawing or painting – and that is form.

I’ve tried to choose references where the big, basic forms are predominant. While there are many ways to start a painting, one of the most popular is by beginning with the largest shapes and arranging them into your design or composition. You can sketch in outlines of your main forms or you can block them in as silhouettes. Thinking of them as silhouettes is often a good idea in painting, as you give the shape mass as well as its basic form. Doing some thumbnails to help you compose the basic shapes into a composition is also a good starting point.

Since we are concentrating on the basic forms – both of individual objects in the painting and the design of those forms into compositions, let’s think about how we can make those forms as artistic as possible. Remember, you never have to follow the reference exactly (whether photo or real life) – you can recompose and manipulate references as much as you want. In fact, it is almost always a good idea to interpret the reference with the goal of making the painting as artistic as possible, in my opinion.

To those who may be unfamiliar with the idea of going beyond just representing the objects accurately, here are some possible thoughts and ideas about creating more artistic shapes and forms. You might ask yourself:

Should I try to make the forms or shapes more beautiful?

Should I try to make the forms more interesting or varied? Or simpler?

What is the basic character or essence of the form - for example, is it massive (like a mountain), or graceful, angular, tall, slender, delicate, straight, curvy, etc.?

Can I use exaggeration to help emphasize the basic character or essence of the form?

What do I put in and what do I leave out that might help emphasize the basic character or essence of the form(s) or improve the composition?

Those are some basic questions I often ask myself. How about you, any ideas on creating artistic shapes and forms? If you have some in mind – or if some of mine give you any ideas – please experiment and try them out! And this is the place to do it – here in the Spotlight!

And here are the refs:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-pears_by_ivyleaf.jpg
Photo by Ivyleaf

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-still_life_by_She-She.JPG
Photo by She-She

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-desert_by_carollynn.JPG
Photo by Carollynn

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-agnes4_yolanta.jpg
Photo by yolanta

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-horses_by_bookscorpion.jpg
Photo by Bookscorpion

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-irises.jpg
Photo by me

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Aug-2011/82335-trees.jpg
Photo by me

Hopefully, I've found a wide variety of subjects that will inspire everybody! Our challenge this month is creating artistic forms!

Please, post all your efforts here in this thread! All discussion, questions, and brainstorming welcome as well!

Have fun!

Don

mij
09-01-2011, 06:48 AM
That is a wide selection Don, thanks for some lovely choices. I'll pass on the trees :D but I'll have a go at one of the rest of these this month all being well.
jim

Colorix
09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey, Don, good lesson (yours are always good!). I'd love to play, I need some sketches/small paintings. I'm in, but later, gotta finish the one on the easel first.

Jim, tired of trees already?

ncgirl
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Don, what a great idea! Great photos to work with - I'm definitely in!

barriespapa
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi Don great selection I will try one of them this month Do we only enter finished pieces or can they be entered as wips. David

tklinda
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Hi Don, this looks like fun and challenging! I'm definitely in and I will try one soon. :) Linda

DAK723
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks everybody! I look forward to seeing what we all come up with!

Jim, I was thinking of you when I put in the tree ref!!

You don't need to wait until you are finished with your painting to post. WIPs are perfectly fine to post. In fact, you can post thumbnails, block-ins or any initial sketches if you are looking for opinion and feedback, too.

Don

Colorix
09-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Good to know, Don. I'm eyeing that rock, it is a good photo, but the rock is like a hand with fingers, a bit creepy, and very curious looking. I'm thinking of making it more beautiful (and it is the thought that counts, right? Not the result... :-)

SoulBro82
09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
looks like fun. im in!

mij
09-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Some promising images this month then.
I've promised to do a tree already this month Don so I'll not want to do another - no not tired of them Charlie - just sick sore and fed up with them :lol:

Oooh I am having probs here. Forgot the passwords (I'm on SWMBOs pooter) and the alterative email addy I forgot also....forgot the WC one as well. The other pooter is busy wiping old drives for donating.
I'd better go and check the other machine- there are two more HDD to do.
jim

Ruthie57
09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Another good lesson Don. I hope I have time to do one. I rather like the Dancer................

barriespapa
09-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks Don Here is my effort so far definitelyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2011/448181-DSC_0217.JPG would like advice it seems that if I had 100 greens i would never have the right one This is on mat board and is 20" x 16" using my mungyos and F.C.

Colorix
09-01-2011, 04:43 PM
My, you're fast, BP. Looks great, better than the photo! (Sorry, Don, but the sky and water *are* burned out.) You simplified and added bg, good. No, there are never the right greens, but you can modify them by using other colours under or over them (lightly). Only advice I have is to use less dots for foliage, and paint larger 'clumps' of them. Trees can be seriously slimplified, and then just have a bit of 'fluff' at the edge.

barriespapa
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks charlie I really do appreciate the advice after i posted it I thought right away that I had made the stupid mistake of putting the 3 trees to central to the painting, and I do know better.

DAK723
09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
David, Thanks for starting us off this month! This looks really good! Glad you added some blue to the sky!

Yes, the pic is overexposed! I actually took this with a new camera that I bought over a year ago. It tended to overexpose, so I sent it back!

Don

robertsloan2
09-01-2011, 10:26 PM
BP, wow! Gorgeous interpretation of the trees and water scene. I like the way you created a beautiful sky. You're so right about the greens. I could probably get all the "greens" collections in several brands and still want more. Sometimes it helps to throw in a few golds, browns, oranges and violet bits into foliage.

Don, thank you for a great challenge! Some of these are so easy I can squeeze them in even if I'm insanely busy. Others so challenging if I want to really dive in I can practice difficult forms. You chose a great variety of subjects and several favorites among them. Pears are the most fun fruit for still lifes, easy to anthropomorphize like fat-bottomed little people. Irises are among my all time favorite flowers, especially to paint. The trees have great forms, bending and swaying like dancers. The dancer's got great curves and a relatively easy pose... all of them are fascinating each in its own way. Thank you!

tvandeb
09-02-2011, 03:11 PM
BP-Beautiful painting of the trees and the reflection in the water is great!

I did the still life, of the pears- Thanks DAK- Ireally like doing still lifes...I am a bit stuck though, The pears look fine but the cloth has me a bit stumped:confused:
I had this problem awhile back with a still life of gourds but was able to work it out, but I sure could use some pointers on this white cloth- Thanks.
Done on sienna pastelmat with various softies.. Also did an underpainting with pastls blended with alcohol...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2011/71359-7-final_with_fixative-need_to_rework_cloth_later...JPG

barriespapa
09-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi Tammy good start I actually dont think your folds are very far of quite good really I know they are off a little but not sure how to correct myself I think it is mostly a color adjustment needed I am sure some one will come along with the answer for you sorry not much help.
David

Dougwas
09-02-2011, 05:29 PM
barriespapa- Good job on the trees. They are a tricky subject and all I can say is keep it up. You will never find the right green....or blue....or red :lol: Pastels are addictive and now you know why. We want them all! Have fun!

Tammy- You did a good job on the pears and your folds look fine to me. I think we are sometimes our worst critic. Enjoy your creation!:thumbsup:

I took a stab at the pears as well. I LOVE painting pears. We had all three of our kids home a few days ago for the first time in over a year and they still ask me if the pears are for eating or painting.:D I have them trained.

This is done on 5 x 8 Uart 800 grit paper using Pan pastels. I laid in the shapes of the pears using the edge of one of the blue tools and then put the pastel to paper. No drawing this time, just let go and had a fun 20 minutes. I might give this one another try. C & C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Thanks for hosting, Don.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2011/102199-Sept_02_Spotlight_Pears.jpg

Doug

tuscanni
09-02-2011, 06:01 PM
don...
wow! quite a different theme this month.
I am not talented enough to attempt any type of glass or cannister.
I seem to gravitate toward the iris picture, maybe its the beautiful colors. The tree picture I did last year for another monthly challenge. I dont know if I can post it here or is this just for pieces we do now.
Since I am busy doing paintings for my upcoming show, I will attempt to do one of the monthly challenges at the end of the month.
Thanks for the wonderful pics
ANN

Judibelle
09-02-2011, 06:10 PM
WOW...Doug and Tammy...Terrific pears, both of you!
I'm hoping to try them, also...very tempting.
Barriespapa...very nice job on the trees....I like the way you did the sky, too.
great photos, Don...good challenges!

Ruthie57
09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
BP, Great tree scene. The water shimmers. Wish I could see it a little bigger......
Tammy, your pears are great, lovely depth in the form! Re the cloth, the left side shows faitly well. On the right, just squint your eyes at the ref and you'll see that there is a gradation of colour and value from left to right, darker on the left. Instead of making lines of colour try and concentrate on the value shifts. Could make it look even better!
Doug, Lovely shiny juicy Pears! How's the new studio performing? I'm looking forward to seeing paintings of the view from your house too!!
This is the first day for ages I've had a chance to relax outdoors in gorgeous sunshine. Wouldn't you know it there is a burglar alarm going off constantly in a neighbouring house! Happened yesterday too. Grrrrrrr!!!!!
So I'm going in the studio, with the radio on, to paint a Spotlight challenge piece!

DAK723
09-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Tammy, Very nice job on the pears! The folds look OK to me!

Doug, Your pears look good, too!

Ann, I don't want to sound annoying, but there is nothing special about glass or canisters, so you shouldn't feel like you are not talented enough for them. One thing to remember is that everything can be reduced to a shape. Don't think "this is glass - how does one paint glass?" Instead, it is "here is a shape of blue-green next to a shape of light blue, etc."

I guess I'll have to pay more attention when choosing my refs - I had forgotten that I had used the trees before! Instead of posting that painting, maybe you might want to tackle the same ref again and see how you can do it differently - perhaps focusing on the shapes of the big silhouettes, or cropping to make a different composition. Just a thought! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Don

chuas2
09-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Don, those pears are speaking to me! Both the photograph and your beautiful painting (although I may have to try the glass...:evil: ). Fantastic color Tammy! Great job on the landscape David, you tackled those reflections wonderfully!

Like Charlie, I got something on the easel to finish first, but September is young, I'll get there!
Chuas

Ruthie57
09-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Great to "see" you here Chuas! :thumbsup:

Well, I've done one. Hour and a half, including a failed drawing (couldn't fit her feet on the paper :o ) and putting a load of washing out! Burglar alarm seems to have stopped now :)
About 12x5" on re-claimed pastelmat. It ain't perfect, especially the face, but it's OK for the time taken.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2011/189061-dancer.jpg

barriespapa
09-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Hope that was a false alarm Ruthie. I love your rendition it amazes me that you can produce a painting of this caliber in just 1.5 hrs. I have a halve symbol on my keyboard but don't know how to get it.:o

sketchZ1ol
09-03-2011, 02:59 PM
hello
good pix and an important consideration
as to what catches the eye, and how to render it within a frame/edges .

i wil say that a silhouette and blocking are Not the same thing
- a silhouette is understood as black/white
- blocking/mass is about value And colour
> imagine a scene where there are no deep darks
such as an egg on a white cloth ...

i'm enjoying all the pics and comments
- good to see and read the dialogue :)

Ed :}

mij
09-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Good trees and water BP. lovely pears tammy and folds get to me so I have managed to avoid them until now anyway. Oops no I did one in class 101 drawing - how did I get away with that :lol:
Fine pair of pears Doug, your getting them ok.
Ruth I can only re-iterate the other poster. How you mange to turn out such good work in such a short time is beyond me.
I've done the wine caraff and glasses and it's taken me last part of the afternoon and most of this evening.
All Derwent pastel pencils except white unison to cover where I had to erase.
Oh Photo by flash and size is 7.5" x 16" (should be same ratio as the original)
jim

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2011/69634-wine_caraff_and_glasses.jpg

Judibelle
09-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Ruthie...I love dyour ballet dancer....well done!
and Jim....your bottles are topnotch! I have laid in the block for the bottles, but havent started adding color yet...hope mine turn out as well as yours did!
Here are my pears....no wonder you like doing pears, Doug....really fun.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2011/103700-scan0001.jpg_pear_study..spotlight.jpg
I sure didnt get the folds right, but I love the shapes within this photo...

barriespapa
09-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Jim very nice job on the classware i always find them hard to do specially in a opaque medium. Judi Great shapes is correct as is painting in pastels is so much fun no matter the subject.
David

mij
09-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks BP and Judi for the comments. Lovely pears Judi and yes they are good to paint (and eat :lol: )

Coming back to it I can see an error. I print these out on A4 without losing the aspect ratio and the because it's pastel I enlarge it somewhat. I use a proportional divider, but in one measuremnet I omitted to turn the divider over and used the wrong end for a reference. Drat! Must get more practise!
jim

barriespapa
09-03-2011, 09:20 PM
know where your coming from there Jim i use a proportional divider all the time and i have made that mistake a few times. But they sure save time. david

tuscanni
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
ruthie....very nicely done. I especially like the red color and the way you have rendered her legs.
ANN

Great to "see" you here Chuas! :thumbsup:

Well, I've done one. Hour and a half, including a failed drawing (couldn't fit her feet on the paper :o ) and putting a load of washing out! Burglar alarm seems to have stopped now :)
About 12x5" on re-claimed pastelmat. It ain't perfect, especially the face, but it's OK for the time taken.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2011/189061-dancer.jpg

mij
09-04-2011, 08:24 AM
know where your coming from there Jim i use a proportional divider all the time and i have made that mistake a few times. But they sure save time. david

I know, I'll paint one ned in red acrylic :lol: then only use that end for one or t'other.
jim

DAK723
09-04-2011, 09:26 AM
Ruthie, Great job on the dancer! You've captured her form perfectly!

Jim, Great job on the glassware! The forms are great!

Judy, Very nice job on the pears! Nice job with the shapes within your painting!

Don

Judibelle
09-04-2011, 12:14 PM
thanks, Jim and Don..
I may have some time to work on the glass photo today...I love the shadows/shapes iln the photo.

barriespapa
09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Back again With the same scene. I really like harsh critique as I always take it as the very best kind of help. I have made some changes and I want to know if this is a small improvement or big improvement maybe it's not an improvement at all. One of the things that I changed was the trees as per Charlie's suggestion I also lightened the shadow under the midground hedge as I thought it was drawing the eye to that area to much.The area that I need help with is from the water edge to the bottom of the painting I feel that there is no depth perception there I have tried Darkening the very bottom and progessing lighter back to the waters edge but still doesnt seem to work I think the problem lies in the warm/ cool area and I am not sure how to get a warm blue and still stay in the proper value. I have also increased the size of my uploads as per Deirdre's suggestion.http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/448181-DSC_0221.JPG

Ruthie57
09-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Jim, that's a really good rendition! Simply done but very effective. Beautiful colour too!
Judy, the Pears are popular! Yours look nice and juicy!
Thanks for your comments about mine. I did used to be really slow....in the days when I had to get down every last detail! Take a look at the ref for the Dancer...it's quite pixelated and you cannot see the detail. I find that sort of thing frees me up. Once you have done enough drawing it becomes easier to do it more quickly (except for when you don't check the length first and fail to get the feet on :o ). Then you can just lay in colour where it's needed to show the "form"!

Today I decided to do the Pears. They were so red and reminded me of my "substitution" palette from this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944921 So I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone as it were...one painting for both challenges :)

I thought they may look better overlapped so that's what I did. I looked at the towel (?) on which they're displayed...the folds....and thought, no that does nothing for the image, so out they went in favour of a few colours stroked across and downwards. Whenever you look at a ref pic remember you don't have to copy it exactly. I learnt that here on WC and the Spotlight. I'm still learning what to change or leave out of a ref :cat:

It's about 8x6" on re-claimed fisher 400. I've also included a photo of my palette. For this I did not use the reddish brown or the pale cream. Used all the others though!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/189061-189061-IMG_0196.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/189061-IMG_0233.JPG

barriespapa
09-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Ruthie, Very well done your pears are great the painting is so painterly and Pastelish, that doesn't sound right but thats how it feels beautiful job.
David

Ruthie57
09-04-2011, 01:42 PM
David, Thanks! We cross posted. I wasn't ignoring you when i posted mine! I'll comment later...now the dinner's nearly ready.

barriespapa
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
David, Thanks! We cross posted. I wasn't ignoring you when i posted mine! I'll comment later...now the dinner's nearly ready.
Ha ha, dont blame you a bit Ruthie We used to call it high tea in Scotland But that was another life time ago.:lol: :lol:

Colorix
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
A girl gets busy during the weekend, and comes back here to see all these good works! Well done, all of you!

BP, i like the changes in the trees! Less dots, less 'mental itching', as it is much calmer now and definitely looks like trees. Reflections do go straight down, as they're a mirror image, so the fg water looks right, but for more depth, a wind-ripple would do wonders.

Crude photoshopping, just to show the thought:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/117343-BP_ripples.jpg

tuscanni
09-04-2011, 03:07 PM
ruthie....great pears! do you ever do any bad pieces?? LOL
Alot of us learned about not copying photos from Johanneses free webinar, did you attend? I know robertsloan was there.
Before I took the free webinar, I always copied the photo, was I dumb. Now I cherry pick the best of several photos and piece them together or do what you do, leave out unimportant aspects of the photo. I also crop the photo to just render the best parts of the photo.
Beautiful pears.
ANN

Jim, that's a really good rendition! Simply done but very effective. Beautiful colour too!
Judy, the Pears are popular! Yours look nice and juicy!
Thanks for your comments about mine. I did used to be really slow....in the days when I had to get down every last detail! Take a look at the ref for the Dancer...it's quite pixelated and you cannot see the detail. I find that sort of thing frees me up. Once you have done enough drawing it becomes easier to do it more quickly (except for when you don't check the length first and fail to get the feet on :o ). Then you can just lay in colour where it's needed to show the "form"!

Today I decided to do the Pears. They were so red and reminded me of my "substitution" palette from this thread http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=944921 So I thought I'd kill 2 birds with one stone as it were...one painting for both challenges :)

I thought they may look better overlapped so that's what I did. I looked at the towel (?) on which they're displayed...the folds....and thought, no that does nothing for the image, so out they went in favour of a few colours stroked across and downwards. Whenever you look at a ref pic remember you don't have to copy it exactly. I learnt that here on WC and the Spotlight. I'm still learning what to change or leave out of a ref :cat:

It's about 8x6" on re-claimed fisher 400. I've also included a photo of my palette. For this I did not use the reddish brown or the pale cream. Used all the others though!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/189061-189061-IMG_0196.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/189061-IMG_0233.JPG

tuscanni
09-04-2011, 03:20 PM
don....I have seen other artists here on wetcanvas render glass in artwork so well, that it makes my jaw drop (meaning, I am impressed). I know that I have my limitations when it comes to art. I cant do people or cutesie, easter bunny, santa or animation. I have limited time, so I stick to subjects that I know I can do. Maybe when I retire I can challenge myself to do subjects that I am not good at, but for now, I would rather do pieces that I know will turn out well. If I had unlimited time, I would love to do all the reference pics that you posted. I think every artist needs to practice, especially with subjects that they dont normally do. I challenge myself by working in different mediums, acrylic, pastel and pen ink, to keep my mind fresh and to give me inspiration.
ANN
PS...you are NOT annoying. You are helpful to we fellow artists

Tammy, Very nice job on the pears! The folds look OK to me!

Doug, Your pears look good, too!

Ann, I don't want to sound annoying, but there is nothing special about glass or canisters, so you shouldn't feel like you are not talented enough for them. One thing to remember is that everything can be reduced to a shape. Don't think "this is glass - how does one paint glass?" Instead, it is "here is a shape of blue-green next to a shape of light blue, etc."

I guess I'll have to pay more attention when choosing my refs - I had forgotten that I had used the trees before! Instead of posting that painting, maybe you might want to tackle the same ref again and see how you can do it differently - perhaps focusing on the shapes of the big silhouettes, or cropping to make a different composition. Just a thought! Looking forward to see what you come up with!

Don

Ruthie57
09-04-2011, 03:30 PM
David, I liked this before but it's better now. Nice to see it bigger too. Charlie's idea is a good one about the water ripples.
Ann. Where do you think I got the "re-claimed" paper from?? A failed painting of course!!! Yes, I attended the free webinars. I learned a lot. And it's not dumb to copy a photo when you start out! I couldn't do anything else at that time. But you have to pace yourself in art I think. As you successfully copy photos and gain confidence I think you start to realise how limiting the photo is and then you begin to see ways to improve on it. Johannes helped me see the light too!

Dougwas
09-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Ruthie- The ballerina painting is beautiful! You captured the pose. Your limited palette pear painting shows what can be done with a few sticks. They glow nicely. Well done on both paintings. I am so glad you made time to paint.

Jim- Good job on the glass. Not an easy subject, but as Don said, just paint the shapes and don't even think it is glass. Just like trees.:evil:

Judi- :clap: You are painting!:clap: Good shading on the pears. They are the magical fruit. No pear is shaped the same and they have so many neat colors. You can never go wrong painting pears.:D

David- I think the trees are looking better. The reflections look good too. Just keep at and take the advice of the helpful painters we have here. I find it is trial and error and you just have to keep painting. Good luck and have fun.

Here is my stab at the landscape. I cropped and removed a tree. I don't think I left enough room at the bottom of the painting. Oh well, live and learn. I did a FC pastel and alcohol under painting and used a variety of softies on top. It is painted on 10 x 8 Wallis paper. Thanks for looking. C & C welcomed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/102199-Sept_04_Spotlight_Landscape.jpg

Here is the under painting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2011/102199-Sept_04_Spotlight_Underpainting.jpg

Judibelle
09-04-2011, 05:24 PM
thanks, Doug. And you 'done good' on your landscape. The trees especially are well done!
Ruthie...beautiful pears...look real enough to eat...

DAK723
09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
David, I think your Pond painting came out just fine. Your gradation from a darker to lighter blue works well, but without any other "clues" as to perspective, it is hard to create depth on the water's surface. That's why Charlie's suggestion of a little surface ripple or two is always a good idea with still water. If there were waves, you could make the waves get smaller as they get more distant as a perspective clue, but since the water is still you don't have that option. But, you can do the same with water ripples.

Ruth, Great job on the pears! Everything about it is just right!

Doug, Nice job on the Pond painting! Interesting underpainting - thanks for showing us! Glad you cropped, too! Good reminder to everyone that that can re-compose the photos into their own compositions!

Don

tvandeb
09-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Dougwas: Great painting on the pears; I like your simplistic view of the cloth, wished I'd done that. Vibrant colors on your landscape; very nice surealistic approach to it!
Ruthie: Beautiful painting of the ballerina; wonderful intricate details! great job on the pears!
mij: Beautiful graduations of lights and darks on the glass!
judibelle: beautiful colors on the pears, nice lights and darks, and I also like your simplistic view of the cloth also!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Greenbrier33
09-05-2011, 11:11 AM
The rocks were looking kind of lonely.

I finally moved to Frankfurt, Germany and brought my pastels along. Funny that the first scene painted was from the American Southwest. But, am sure will have plenty of opportunity to paint beautiful Germany.

Missed everyone since last fall... David

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/227425-Desert.jpg

barriespapa
09-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Awesome david very painterly such great depth in the sky.
David

barriespapa
09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Here's my glass This is on pastelmat with mungyos little or no blending size about 12 x6 Davidhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/448181-DSC_0222.JPG

tvandeb
09-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Greenbrier33- Gorgeous work on the desert scene!
Barrespapa: beautiful work on the glass very nice reflections and use of lights and darks!
:clap: :clap:

I reworked the cloth on the pears, and I'm satisfied with it now. Also did the desert scene very early this morning . On white pastelmat 7"x 4" with various softies. :wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/71359-Final-Spotlite-Pears-Sept..JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/71359-spotlite-Sept._Desert..JPG

Judibelle
09-05-2011, 03:40 PM
David and David...beautiful job, both of you. nice to see you back, greenbrier David...are you liking Germany?
Tammy...your pears are gorgeous. love the desert one, also!

Greenbrier33
09-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Hey Judi... I've missed you and your inspiring work!

I do love Germany. Wonderful country to experience. I will discipline enough time to paint! Look forward to seeing you on here and getting motivated by your awesome pastels.

David (Greenbrier)

tuscanni
09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
hi david
its nice to see you posting again.
and a wonderful post it is....
I think you have gotten better with time. Your southwest scene is beautiful. I hope we get to see more of your work.
ANN

The rocks were looking kind of lonely.

I finally moved to Frankfurt, Germany and brought my pastels along. Funny that the first scene painted was from the American Southwest. But, am sure will have plenty of opportunity to paint beautiful Germany.

Missed everyone since last fall... David

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/227425-Desert.jpg

barriespapa
09-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Love your pears and landscape Tammy.
David

barriespapa
09-05-2011, 05:58 PM
David and David...beautiful job, both of you. nice to see you back, greenbrier David...are you liking Germany?
Tammy...your pears are gorgeous. love the desert one, also!
Nice to get such a great compliment from such an accomplished Artist Thanks judi

cristiona
09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Hello! Long time lurker, first time spotlight try-er. I went with the pears, because I wanted to practice my color blending skills. As with others, the folds in the cloth in the background had me stumped. At least I tried? :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/213834-Form_09.05.11.JPG

tuscanni
09-05-2011, 08:11 PM
david....your glass cannister piece is very nice. Its so life-like. To me, glass seems hard to render. Any shiney surface has me stumped.
ANN

Here's my glass This is on pastelmat with mungyos little or no blending size about 12 x6 Davidhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/448181-DSC_0222.JPG

Dougwas
09-05-2011, 10:24 PM
David (Greenbrier)- Welcome back! You did a great job on those rocks. You shaded them just right. Hope to see more paintings.

David (BP)- Fantastic! Wonderful glass painting. It is a subject that many have a problem with. Not mentioning any names.:o Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Tammy- Those folds look good. I think sometimes less is best. I know I am trying to get away from over working my paintings. It is hard to know when to stop. Great job on the rocks. They are standing tall and proud. Way to go.:thumbsup:

cristona- Welcome. I am glad you decided to leave Lurkdom and join us. I wish more people would join in instead of just watching fron the sidelines. You did a fine job on your pears. They are well rounded and shaded. The folds look fine. I like your use of yellow for the background. It shows a good sense of light. Welcome again. I hope you take a stab at other photos.

Doug

chuas2
09-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Wow, so much terrific work, and not even a full week into September! Kudos would go on for several pages, fantastic work everyone, welcome back David, and excellent, excellent work on the glass other David!

I'm back to work tomorrow, which means 0 time for painting, so I played a little with the pears. 10 1/2 x 12, Unison, Schmincke, Ludwig pastels on light grey LaCarte card, with torn LaCarte and gold Joss paper collaged (yes, you can stick collage on LaCarte with gesso!) Really, just for fun, but thinking about form!
Chuas
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2011/208492-painting_pears6v2.jpg

Vivien Maloney
09-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Everyone has done such great work and I'm too far behind to comment on it all but congratulations to everybody.

Don - Thanks for this September Spotlight on Form. Your Spotlight's are always so informative and such fun. I liked the horse and will try to get one done soon.

robertsloan2
09-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Tammy, your pears do look good and so do the folds in the background. The trick with it is making the foreground cloth lay flat and come forward. If you use very light colors and shift the hues on the “white” cloth warmer in front, cooler in back, that helps. It can be very subtle but it does the trick. Charlie taught me that in http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527268 Still Life the Colourful Way.

Doug, your pears are totally different. Very bright and lively, enjoy seeing your Pans painting. The texture’s so cool. Love the depth and rounded shapes they have.

Ruthie, wow! I love your dancer’s legs and the light. You got her hand on her hip spot on too, both hands. That’s tough! Her face changed a little but she looks good.

Jim, awesome layered transparencies in your bottles. I really love the spire on top of the tall one and the bases of the goblets. You got the feel of glass well.

Judibelle, fun pears! Your folds aren’t too distracting, the pears are the main event. They push to background by hue and texture, the pears look more worked and their color makes them jump out as the main attraction.

BP, I see some major improvements in your waterside scene. Love the texture of the water, it lays flat and it’s so much softer than the land areas. The light is blazing in this one. I don’t see all your changes but they helped, it’s looking even more lyrical and draws me right in.

My one suggestion now is that the tree on the far left still looks very symmetrical. Break the symmetry by creating a gap on one side or pull out a protrusion or two. Other than that it’s splendid, the changes really helped.

I love the way you handled the sandy banks. That may be part of your changes, it really works now. Dappled shadow and sun on it with its softer reflections is wonderful.

Ruthie, I commented on your pears in the Mystery Palette thread. So this is my second look at them. Wow. The texture of the background is something that really sets them off. The left pear is definitely more of a focal area and now I can see that you softened the right pear to draw my eye in that direction. It’s beautiful. So much richness with so few colors! Well done!

Doug, wow! You totally changed the feeling of the landscape. Yours is almost somber but rich with color and very dramatic. I like how you clumped the trees closer together. I like the masses of color and value and the way the colors dance within them. This is a slightly less realist painting but it’s gorgeous. There’s something dramatic and compelling about the way you made it work, and it gives good recession too.

I like your crop, the reflections are not the main element in this painting. Oddly enough I feel as if the sunlit field is, the trees are guiding me into it to enjoy some last warmth at the end of the day. Cool crazy super-brights underpainting!

David! Your rocks are so dramatic. I love that eerie spire. It looks wild and glows with light. The foliage is excellent too, I like the clouds as backdrop - my eye keeps coming back to that focal area, the well defined rocky protrusions in the foreground spire. Gorgeous! You have a dreamy quality in this one, almost surreal mingled with impressionism.

Great glass bottles, Barriespapa! I love how you captured the roundness of the bottles and the clarity of the glass. Cool shadows too. Well done!

Tammy, I like the way you reworked the cloth on your pears. That really works now. Your desert scene came out great, love how you did the red spire and the distant rocks. There’s a dizzying slant to the ground that helps make the spire look even rougher.

Cristiona, your pears look great. I like the way you varied their shape so well and the softness of your folds and shadows. Great color blending and mixing, it’s softened but not overblended. Good highlights.

Chuas, I love your wild take on the pears! So cool with the gold joss paper and the lettering - that just made me smile. It looks true and it’s also got that crazy whimsy. I like the way it looks like they’re sitting on a sheet of rough paper or cloth that ends, putting the edge of the cloth they’re on into the painting is a fine point that helps the whole. Now that’s creative!

Now that I'm all caught up and done writing my 3 Day Novel, I may follow Ruthie's example and use one of these references for either my Mystery Box painting or Mystery Palette painting. This is just so much fun - and Doug, you gave such a good vairety of references that I'm sure I can find something that'll work with either of those palettes.

cfo
09-06-2011, 07:03 AM
O, what fantastic entries! I am inspired! All those brave enough to do the rocks: Well Done! They look better than the photo itself!! Ruthie, your pears look so edible, yum!
Definately think I'll give pastel a go, although I've never taken part in this forum before.
Happy painting everyone,
Charri:cat:

DAK723
09-06-2011, 07:33 AM
David (Greenbrier33) - Welcome back! You've done a fabulous job on the Southwest desert painting!

David (barriespapa) - Great job on the glassware! You've captured the forms and colors really well!

Tammy - The pears (and the folds) look great! Nice job on the Desert painting, too!

Cristiona - Welcome to the Spotlight! So glad you joined us! Very nice job on the pears!

Chuas - Glad you joined us this month! Thanks for putting your original touch on the pear painting!

So many wonderful paintings! Hope I didn't miss anyone!

Charri, Thanks for joining us, too! We look forward to seeing your work! Glad you want to join the fun!

Don

Judibelle
09-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Robert....thanks so much for cheering me on...
I had a chance to do the bottles, but I'm embarrassed to show it, after Jim's and David's which were both so beautifully done...
This took about an hour, and since I love the photo so much, I may try it again, using some different shadings...and a different colr background paper.
(Didnt have blue)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2011/103700-scan0002.jpg_spotlight_glass_bottles.jpg
anyway, it was fun...AND a challenge!

tvandeb
09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Judibelle-Gorgeous colors on your glass!:clap:

Robert thanks for the link, that is really super helpful!:thumbsup:

And I re-worked the rocks a bit a few more darks... picky me :lol:

I'll be leaving in a couple of days for New Mexico, but will comment and do some more of the refs when I back in about a week.. I'm hoping to get plein aire pastel painting while I'm out there..
Happy painting all!:wave: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2011/71359-Spotlite-UPDATE-desert-Sept..jpg

barriespapa
09-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi All thanks to everyone who made comment on my paintings. You are all very thoughtful.
Robert you are amazing in the time that you put in to critiquing,cant thank you enough.
chuas love your rendition of pears so very imaginative and great work.:clap: :clap: :clap:
Doug good job on the pond scene such bold colours, and great trees.
Don thanks for the critique on my ponds and the suggestions.
Charlie thank you also for the kind words and critique i am not sure that I can pull of the ripples suggestion without messing it up.
Cristionawelcome and nice pears hope to see you here in future.
david
P.S. hope I didnt miss anyone gets confusing jumping back and forth in the pages,well for me anyway:lol: :lol:

barriespapa
09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
Judi and Tammy sorry but i think we must have been posting at the same time I take for ever to post, no steno for sure. Judi lovely colors in the glass
Tammy. Great Job, and have fun in New mexico,happy plein aire.
david

Colorix
09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
David (Greenbrier), lovely to see you again, and the painting looks like you painted it on location, it has such presence.

Doug, great glow, love the crop.

BP, very good difference between glass and cast shadow.

Tammy, good job on both.

Cristiona, glad you 'un-lurked', nice 3D on the pears.

Chuas, love your humour!

Judi, I like it, it is great for just one hour, and IMO, the peach paper adds sparkle!

NC-artist
09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone....back again!

Gonna admit that I find many of these Spotlight topics scary scary but extremely educational all at the same time :o. So like a moth drawn to the flame I'm going to dive right into the deep end.

Thank-you for providing a lovely learning center! I'm always awed by how awesome some of the exercises turn out - nice job EVERYONE!!!

http://i55.tinypic.com/eu0scw.jpg

Just sketching, not sure about the proportions, I tried using fingers, pencils to try to estimate them. The butt and the feet/ankles are grrrrr...........frustrating but fun to figure out.

mij
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Awwww crumbs, I had typed out a full answer when 'H' came in for a natter. Without thinking I closed the browser and lost it all! GRRRRRRRR....

Also was stupid enough to click on a url a couple of days ago where it did not open the expected U tube French horn players but started downloading the Personal Shield.Pro fake virus scam that leads to Spyware Dr.....

It's taken me hours of scanning to get rid.
Can I organise a group scream please? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
jim

NC-artist
09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
I thoroughly enjoy a silent scream or online snarl every now and again LOL...

Been there, done that with disappearing posts and completely understand your frustrations.

cristiona
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Ok, how do I say this properly?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone for the feedback! I'm here bouncing with joy for any comments, let alone the wonderful and specific ones you all gave.

I will try to participate more. Work's been busy so I don't have as much time during the week as on the weekends, but it's such a wonderful community here that I want to (hopefully) add to all the good. :)

mij
09-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks Chistiona, I'm glad that I don't scream alone :lol:
jim

NC-artist
09-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I promise not to spam anymore. It's funny how you see really obvious stuff after you've posted (like the right shoulder :o)

This paper isn't going to take many layers of corrections and erasures so I think I'll call it a day on the ballerina lady maybe transfer over to something with more toothiness.

Fun stuff - excuse the flash glare.

http://i56.tinypic.com/vo8ioi.jpg

cristiona
09-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks Chistiona, I'm glad that I don't scream alone :lol:
jim

Hey, I'm glad I don't either! Granted my cats would probably prefer that I used my inside voice when I do that...

robertsloan2
09-06-2011, 10:08 PM
NC-artist, your ballerina came out charming. I think you're a little too worried about proportions. Her feet are that big. Sometimes true proportions come out looking wrong if you're not used to them. Her cute rear end looks entirely accurate and I love the freshness of the whole piece in the finish. I love the way the light dances over her body. Well done!

Tammy, I'm curious about why you reworked the rocks so dark. It still looks cool but they look very dark, like it just rained.

Judibelle, your glass bottles look good! They definitely look like glass, you got more of a frosted glass effect than clear but the colors are spot on and I love how you did the clear parts - they do look like clear glass. Perfect clear glass. You also successfully captured the symmetry of the objects, the shapes, the composition. Looking good!

DAK723
09-07-2011, 08:08 AM
Judi, No need to be embarrassed - your bottles and glasses came out very well!

Tammy, We're all picky - aren't we? Adding a few dark accents is usually a good idea!

Lyn, You've done an excellent job on the dancer! You've caught the pose!

Don

NC-artist
09-07-2011, 08:14 AM
:D Had to laugh at the obvious issues I had with her hindparts and feet - foot fetish really exposed itself and I will certainly keep your words in mind for the next time a figure strolls onto my paper! Thank you for your advice!

Thank-you DAK, this was actually a fun exercise and I learned much. There's a couple more photos that have caught my eye and I'm looking forward to attempting them.

NC-artist
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Really liked the photo of those horses. Here's my attempt.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w1yy5e.jpg

mij
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Well done on the horses and the ballet dancer Ncartist, you are brave to do something which has the potential for self movement i.e. has a heart beat and a will of it's own. The biggest things I can remember doing is birds, herons and things like that. :lol:

Lovely glass Judi as it's not easy to show is it. The old adage of paint what you see comes to mind. And it does take practise to get those sticks/pencils to do the same as what your eyes see. You have the shadow of the caraff going in the right direction as well. Well done.
jim

tuscanni
09-07-2011, 11:00 PM
lyn...I love your bold use of color on this horse piece. As an artist myself, I love color, especially bright ones.
Your ballerina is very nice also, she looks so sweet. I love both your pieces.
ANN

Really liked the photo of those horses. Here's my attempt.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2w1yy5e.jpg

artyjim
09-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Hello people, a newbie here browsing all the options. Found this thread and as I have recently decided to major in pastels, I guess the spotlight will give me something fresh to get my teeth into.
I have not posted previously so am unable to upload pics yet. I will have to post a few more time before throwing myself open to your comments!!

mij
09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Welcome to you artyjim and I think you'll like pastels. I like the lot. All mediums and have a hard job choosing between them. And yes the spotlight is a good place to start and finish. Plenty of good references each month.
Just duck in and try it, it's good fun with plenty of help here.
jim

artyjim
09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi Mij, thanks for your welcome, I have been using all types of medium over the years, but as I said, my intention is to stick with the pastels, this comes about from the comments of friends and family who are very encouraging. I am using mainly Unison, Sennelier soft and some Conte hard pastels.

snowfall
09-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Hi everyone

I haven't posted in pastels forum for a long, long time now as I am concentrating on learning to draw and painting in acrylics. However, I thought I would have a go at the spotlight challenge. Really enjoyed the challenge even though the pastel dust seems to really bother me.

Iris on velour paper

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2011/142898-iris_pastel_on_velour_06.09.11_002.jpg

Beautiful work from everyone so far.

Pam

ncgirl
09-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Pam, lovely iris and welcome! artyjim, welcome to you too, can't wait to see your work!

Everyone else, sorry I haven't had a chance to comment, all these paintings are wonderful, hope to join you soon with one of my own. Especially like the work y'all are doing with the ballet dancer, what style and energy!

Colorix
09-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi artyJim, welcome! Pastels are a wonderful medium. You can post images now, btw.

Pam, lovely iris. Other mediums, that explains why we have not seen you for a good while.

I have a spectacularly failed sketch of the pears. I have never seen red pears, and my mind didn't want to accept red pears. They 'should' be yellow, yellow-brown-green or green! Anyway, the stinker is history, brushed off, so I'll try again!

NC-artist
09-08-2011, 12:45 PM
~Welcome~ artyjim - the Spotlight threads are so wonderful. You can learn, observe and just enjoy the atmosphere. No pressures here - unless it's of your own doing LOL!

Love your irises Pam and the velour makes them look especially sumptuous :thumbsup:

Thanks Ann - I love colors, especially the colors we see with pastels. There's nothing quite like it and I can't resist putting some different ones in odd places. In some cases it seems to add a special something special.

Colorix
09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Lyn, the pose of the ballerina is well caught, and the horses have really nice volume!

(Didn't mean to skip you, I was so sure I'd commented... )

Ruthie57
09-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm sorry I've got sooooo behind with this thread....and the more behind I get the harder it is to find time to come and comment!

Doug, Colourful piece! I like the crop you chose.
Welcome back David! Good piece, the rocks look so solid and I like the colours you have chosen and the way you've used them.
David (BP) Great glass! Looks really glass like. Don't you think the pastel sparkles more when you don't blend?
Tammy, the cloth looks better now. Love the complementary sky and rock colours in your desert one!
Hey Cristiona! Welcome. Luscious pears! And the folds in the cloth are understated enough not to grab unwanted attention.
Chuas, this is so you :) Imaginitive and humorous and very well done!
Charri, Hi :wave: Hope you give it a go....and show!
Judi, I'm only looking at the paintings so forgive me if I repeat what may already have been said! The Glass is well done! The only thing really lacking is the value shifts...not enough darks. Also the shadow of the glass should be a lower chroma colour than the glass itself. On my monitor it looks almost the same. Before you actually do it again why not work on this some more. May save you starting afresh or it may inform you for when you do!
Lyn, Great dancer! Your lines are confident, economical and true. good stuff! Good looking Horses too!
Hi Artyjim and welcome :wave:
Pam, nice to see you here! Great Iris, it looks so soft and the colours are lovely.
Charlie, we don't see many Red Pears here either. Twas a bit of a culture shock to me too. Looking forward to seeing your next "sketch".

Don't know if I'll get any more done but I will try and keep up in future!!!

DAK723
09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Artyjim - Welcome! We look forward to seeing your work in the future!

Lyn - Very nice job on the horses! As Charlie mentioned, they have great volume!

Pam - Wonderful job on the irises! Hopefully you'll be doing more pastels again! Pastel dust always bothered me, too, but I have no troubles now that I wear a dust mask. I would recommend it!

Don

barriespapa
09-08-2011, 03:59 PM
CharlieI cant believe you fail at pears you are far too good for that.
Pam lovely job on the lilac have yet to try the velour yet.
lyn Love your horses so brave of you to tackle the hardest subject this month at least in my opinion it is.
Ann I apologise for missing you back a couple of pages thank you for the kind comments and I am sure you will get the glass in time It only takes practice.
Ruth Yes I agree 100% blending does dull the colors some what.
David

mij
09-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Sorry Pam did I omit you somehow? Lovely iris, full bodied colour and on velour makes it look so soft and velvety. Glad you are posting.

I had noticed that everytime I 'get dusty' I start a little cough, sort of can't clear my throat if you know what I mean. But I do have some of those masks in the garage for dealing with mdf. I'll have to see if that works for the pastels.
jim

robertsloan2
09-08-2011, 08:18 PM
NCartist, your horses came out very well. I love the way you captured their eerie color, they're an unusual gray. Well done!

Pam, I love that iris. Irises are one of my favorite flowers, the softness of the velour really helps with its texture. So delicate.

Aww Charlie, it's too bad you brushed off the pears. I would've liked to see them first.

Dougwas
09-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Chuas- Great take on the pears. You added your touch to them.

Judi- You have nothing to be embarrassed about. Your glass looks like....glass! Good job. Keep at it.:thumbsup:

Tammy- Have a good time in NM. Maybe you will get a chance to paint more rocks and desert.

Lyn- You did a fine job on the ballerina. You are braver than I am. I won't be doing that photo. Glad you had fun doing it. That's why we do this, right? I really like your horses. You did a great job on the proportions. Well done.:thumbsup:

Pam- Too bad the dust bothers you, because you did a fantastic job with those sticks. You managed a soft look for the iris. Way to go.

Doug

snowfall
09-09-2011, 05:34 AM
ncgirl, charlie, ncartist, ruthie, don, barriespapa, jim, robert and doug - thank you for all your lovely comments. I think I need to dig out that mask and body armour and get some more pastels done!

Pam

artyjim
09-09-2011, 06:28 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2011/975995-pears.jpg

Here goes for my first entry for the spotlight.
Piece done on grade 600 sandpaper 8x10inch with soft pastels during our club meet last night. I went for the contrasting background rather than the cloth in the photo!

Jim
c&c always welcome.

mij
09-09-2011, 08:06 AM
That's really good Jim, they have roundness (something I struggle with) and the contrasting background fits well.
jimW

DAK723
09-09-2011, 08:32 AM
(Arty)Jim - A great first entry into the Spotlight! The pears are excellent and the green background does work very well!

Don

Judibelle
09-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Oh Pooh! I just finished a long post, catching up on welcomes and comments... and it all just disappeared!
Wont try to recreate it, but know that I am impressed with everyone's spotlights.
Ruthie, thank you for your comments on my glass painting...I apppreciate you input, and will take another look at it through those eyes...
Meanwhile, I have done the desert rocks, my own take on them... I was focused more on the shapes this time...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Sep-2011/103700-scan0004.jpg__desert_spotlight.jpg

9x12, Mt. V's and Ludwigs, which I am really aprreciating more and more...

artyjim
09-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Hi Jim, Don, thank you for your comments, having seen the work produced by all the pastellists in WC, I am in awe of alll the talent out there!

Judi, I like your take on the rocks, I am guessing that Mt. V's and Ludwigs are a brand of pastels your side of the pond!

Jim

ncgirl
09-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Judibelle and artyjim, outstanding work, the pears really jump out with the green background, good choice and the rocks look just wonderful with the dramatic sky behind them!

japonaise
09-09-2011, 12:16 PM
Artyjim: Your pears are wonderful. You have a terrific "painterly touch". Excellent use of contrast, shadow, and form. The halcyon hi-lights are very effective, and I partiularly like the way you allowed the sand paper to become a part of your over all image - not just the support for the marks. When you write "600 sand paper" are you referring to a prepared paper like UArt or did you actually use SAND paper? J

Ruthie57
09-09-2011, 01:36 PM
ArtyJim, Great Pears, very 3D and the painting is full of energy with that zingy background.
Judi, interesting take on the Rocks. Good work!

artyjim
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
ncgirl, Ruth, thank you for looking and your comments, also Japonaise. The answer to your question on the sandpaper, although I do use specialised sanded supports as well as Ti Mientes paper, on this occasion I have used sandpaper purchased from the good old DIY store. It comes in packs with different grades from 200 to 600 and also comes in the normal sandy colour as well as black and sized around A4, which is good for small works. I quite often have a black background for still life paintings.

Jim

snowfall
09-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Jim - lovely work on the pears! The background is fab - I know I really struggle with backgrounds.
Judi - Good work on the rocks. That's a difficult one to attempt, you're much braver than I am!

Pam

japonaise
09-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Jim: Thanks for the info. Our US big box DIYs sell packs of sand paper, but the sizes are smaller than 8x10 - more like 4x6. I will search the local hardware stores for bigger pieces. I am not fond of doing small works unless it's a study like your beautiful pears. Your choice of complimentaries is very effective. J

robertsloan2
09-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Artyjim, wow! I love the contrast and the way you chose the background. The complementary background gives gorgeous depth and punch to the pears. The forms are wonderful, such beautiful depth in your painting. Please recreate it on archival sanded paper, it's worth framing!

Judi, congratulations! Paying attention to form on the rocks you gave them loads of depth and the whole painting has a great 3D emphasis. The cool sky looks stormy while sunlight is coming from the left side behind me. Gorgeous shapes on those rocks.

Colorix
09-09-2011, 06:03 PM
artyJim, really nice pears, and the green glow is just perfect to bring out the reds!

Judi, Love how you made the rocks to be nice and friendly rocks!

tuscanni
09-09-2011, 11:51 PM
artyjim....I really love your pears, I love your use of bright bold colors. The shapes are wonderful also, unique, not so rounded. Good imagination you have, changing the background like that, a creative artist, thinking outside the box.
ANN

artyjim
09-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Thank you, Pam, Rob, Charlie, and Ann for all your comments. Japonaise, I hope you can find the larger size of sandpaper, it is ideal for small excercises.

Jim

DAK723
09-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Judi, Very nice job on the "rocks". Glad you focused on their forms!

Don

Colorix
09-10-2011, 03:27 PM
OK, here goes,

but the picture is not so good, there's a shadow effect to the left (paper slightly curved, didn't notice that curve stole light that much...), and different sticks reflect light differently. It does not look as splotchy IRL.

So, I worked with both shape and form. Changed shapes to more dynamic, and let those planes help define form. Didn't notice I got an unfortunate symmetry in the negative space between the pears until I was finished.

Are these pears as violently red in real life? Or are they kind of brownish muted, and the ref was hysterical?

A4 (about 8x12")

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2011/117343-RP-iz-6806.jpg

ncgirl
09-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Charlie, I've only seen red pears once, and they really are that red! I didn't have the courage to purchase and taste one, the pears I know are

ncgirl
09-10-2011, 09:43 PM
As I was saying, the pears I know are green and come from the tree on my dad's farm or the one in our old neighborhood - long gone by now I'm sure. I've finished my version of the pears, and keep getting an "upload failed" message. Grrr! :crying:

Turpintine45
09-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Charlie amazing pears. I love the firey red! Great job on all the pears, Ballet dancers, rocks and horses everyone!:clap:

I decided to go for a little colour and so used my half box of Remmies to make this colourful horse. RIL it almost looks like moonlight but the yellow greens are brighter here.
9 x 12 wallis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2011/216461-IMG_6689_Medium.jpg

snowfall
09-11-2011, 05:35 AM
Charlie - lovely work on the pears - great shapes!
Jen - love your "moonlit" horse!

Pam

Judibelle
09-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Charlie....Your pears are gorgeous! Love the way you changed their shapes.
Jen...Your moonlit horse looks almost psychodelic! Great use of the colors!

chuas2
09-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow, fantastic job on the rocky landscape Judi! I love the line work in your rocks and the colors are wonderful.

Fantastic pears Jim! I love that green in the background!

Great horse Jen, the color is so delightfully bold, and the horse is wonderfully painted!

Fantabulous pears Charlie! Can pears sing? Yours do!
Chuas

chuas2
09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Here's my take on the irises. 10x12, Wallis, Schmincke and Mt. Vision pastels.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/208492-painting_iris_sept_spotlightv2.jpg

Turpintine45
09-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Wow Kris love the crop and you made those petals look so soft and velvety! The bg really shows off the flowers well too. Great job.

ncgirl
09-11-2011, 02:07 PM
chuas what wonderful irises! I love the crop, the vibrant colors! Wow! Turpentine, what an original take on the horses, truly you have the ability to see things differently but capture their essence at the same time. Charlie, your pears are wonderful, very active and lovely coloring.

Finally I can upload my pears! Had a few suggestions for improving them, so will go work on them more and hopefully can upload the revised version too. :crossfingers: C & C most welcome!

robertsloan2
09-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Chuas, wow! Your irises are so lively! What an interesting crop. I love it. That's like a little window into the world of the irises, very original and powerful. The contrast between the flat simple background and the sensuous shading and detail of the flowers is gorgeous. I love the dramatic values and perfect form - you really captured their three dimensional shape with so much power. I can't take my eyes off of them. Wonderful painting.

NCgirl, love the shine on your pears. It's awesome how you flattened the surface below them, the little bit of color on the ground makes it sit so horizontal. Great progress, looking forward to your next stage.

Jen, your "moonlit" Horse is great! Looks so wild with all those gorgeous colors. It's bright and dramatic, very pop art, wonderful and original in its style. The searing light greens against all those warms and electric blue make me think of the sixties, it's something that would be a great print. Fun adaptation!

I love all the variety in these paintings.

robertsloan2
09-11-2011, 02:22 PM
OK, here goes,

but the picture is not so good, there's a shadow effect to the left (paper slightly curved, didn't notice that curve stole light that much...), and different sticks reflect light differently. It does not look as splotchy IRL.

So, I worked with both shape and form. Changed shapes to more dynamic, and let those planes help define form. Didn't notice I got an unfortunate symmetry in the negative space between the pears until I was finished.

Are these pears as violently red in real life? Or are they kind of brownish muted, and the ref was hysterical?

A4 (about 8x12")

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Sep-2011/117343-RP-iz-6806.jpg

Charlie, this took my breath away! You kept the forms a little more angular and exaggerated the irregularities in a cool way. I don't think the space between them is too symmetrical, it leans more toward the left side than the right and does have a distinct shape.

The background is spectacular. I love that creamy projection of several hues. It's got this feel of something I saw in a Monet, it's got the sunlight in a way that just warms my bones to look at it. The fruit are a bit abstracted and they glow. I have seen pears as red as you just painted, even if the muted-red russet ones are more common.

It's gorgeous. Frame and keep it, sell it, this came out fantastic.

DAK723
09-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Charlie, The pears are very nicely done! Lots of volume and of course great color. The negative shape between the pears would only be noticeable if the painting were cropped under the top of the stems (in my opinion) and even then it is not symmetrical. I would call it a rhythmic similarity, which is a good thing in a painting (also my opinion).

Jen, Nice job on the form of the horse, and the color is...kind of cosmic! Reminded me of Peter Max (from the 1960's, for those youngsters out there!).

Chuas, Really interesting crop of the irises! Even cropped, you've caught the form of the irises very well!

ncgirl, Your pears are very nice, too! Interesting how different from Charlie's, but I like your interpretation of the forms! While Charlie concentrated on the angular nature of the form, you have concentrated on the curved!

Don

robertsloan2
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Come into the shadow of the red rocks...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/70184-9-11-2011-Storm-Spire-WC-Spotlight-MB1.jpg
Storm and Sun
5" x 7"
Terry Ludwig "Mystery Box" pastels
Light Umber Richeson Premium Pastel Surface (sanded hardboard)
Photo reference by carollynn from RIL

This photo made me think of the spooky poem that Stephen King kept quoting in The Dark Tower series.

DAK723
09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Robert - Very nice and very dramatic! Love the contrast between the up-thrusting linear forms of the rocks and the (somewhat) horizontal, rolling bands of clouds with their curved forms! Excellent!

Don

robertsloan2
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks! That kind of clouds always gave me problems and I like how these came out better than any of my earlier attempts.

robertsloan2
09-11-2011, 07:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/70184-9-11-2011-2-Pears-Spotlight-Sept.jpg
Two Red Pears
5 1/2" x 8"
Various pastels on Winsor & Newton pastel paper (unsanded)
Photo reference by ivyleaf for Pastel Spotlight Sept. 2011

ncgirl
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Robert, two wonderful paintings! Love the rocks, the clouds, the drama, the colors!! The textured surface really enhaces the pears, what a fine job, again the colors are wonderful!

Cn andyone advise me on how to post with a kitten in my lap? He likes to helpd

robertsloan2
09-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Awww pet the kitten! That's so cool. Ari tries to help me too sometimes but if I scritch him long enough he'll lay down and go to sleep. Thank you! So glad you like both of these! I looked at my colors and the red rocks screamed at me. I knew I could use that bright orange if I muted it a bit.

chuas2
09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Inspired paintings Robert! Is it San Francisco? :)

And with your MB palette? Fantastic!
Chuas

allydoodle
09-12-2011, 12:26 AM
Hi everybody! I'm late to the party it seems, so many wonderful paintings this month. I needed to warm up a bit before starting my next project, so I thought I would do a spotlight reference. I'm not used to painting still life from a photo, I don't know how you all do it! I had a hard time figuring out color, I see it better IRL I guess. I think I used some pretty bright reds, maybe brighter than the photo, but I think it works.

Anyway, I painted the two red pears, and took some artist license with the background. I may bring the yellow more to the right, not sure yet. I tried to vary it to keep it interesting. I used all of my knowledge to figure out the colors and right now my brain hurts :lol: . Also, I usually spend much more time on a still life, so to me this sort of feels unfinished. I could spend two or three days just doing one pear, and right now I see some things I could refine. The stem on that left pear looks wonky to me :eek: . I'll probably let it be though, as this was supposed to be a just something to get my engines started.

Size is 5 1/2" x 12", done on some unknown scrap of sanded paper that I found lying around. I used stricly Unisons for the entire painting. I hadn't used them in a while, so that was fun.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/93075-two_red_pears.jpg

tuscanni
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
oooooooooooohhhhh Robert....nice one!!
I love it! :)
I love your clouds
ANN

Come into the shadow of the red rocks...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Sep-2011/70184-9-11-2011-Storm-Spire-WC-Spotlight-MB1.jpg
Storm and Sun
5" x 7"
Terry Ludwig "Mystery Box" pastels
Light Umber Richeson Premium Pastel Surface (sanded hardboard)
Photo reference by carollynn from RIL

This photo made me think of the spooky poem that Stephen King kept quoting in The Dark Tower series.

robertsloan2
09-12-2011, 05:27 AM
Chris, I love your red pears. They're brilliant! I like the way you varied the background and disagree with you on whether it looks unfinished - it feels very refined to me. The contrasting texture of the horizontal surface and the background is great. I like the yellow falling where it does, the cooler right area helps push it back and the color shifts draw more attention to the pears. I don't see a problem with the left pear stem either, it looks so natural. Utterly beautiful. My hat's off to you!

Ann, thank you! I loved those clouds, always had trouble with cumulus clouds but this time the reference helped me a lot.

Chuas, thank you! I'm glad you like my pears too, it was a completely different approach with much more muted colors than I normally use.

snowfall
09-12-2011, 05:36 AM
chuas - gorgeous work on the irises and a lovely crop.
ncgirl - lovely job on the pears.
robert - the red rocks do have a spooky feel to them! Like your take on the pears too.
allydoodle - superb work on the pears.

Pam

Colorix
09-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Jen, love your colourful horse, it shows so well that a colour change is a plane change!

Chuas, gorgeous crop of the irises! It is nearly abstract, very good!

ncgirl, lovely pears, and you really got the texture of the cloth, it adds a lot of depth!

Robert, love how you combined loose/sketchy/lively, and friendly warmth with a bit of spookiness in your Rocks. Lovely colours. Pears are beautiful and edible! Great handling of the kiss! The folds are so well done! Did you use the white of the paper as white?

Chris, very fine pears, interesting comp. To me it looks finished, love the colours! And the varied texture, the 3D-ness. Me too, I usually avoid still-lifes from photos, for exactly the reasons you mention. Good thought to extend the yellow (alternatively to lessen it at the negative upside down peak between pears) to get a continuity of the bg.

For the comments on my pears, I Thank you, Jen, Pam, Judi, Chuas (they sing high C!), ncgirl

Robert, aw, thanks! Your comments are an art, and warm my heart. Had I made shorter straight lines, they would have gotten rounder and rounder with each layer. This is the first time i went this far in angularity, and it was great fun and looks rather OK at a distance.

Don, thank you! Rhythmic similarity is a fine thing! :-) And it is pretty unavoidable when painting fruit... not to mention eggs!

I hope I didn't miss anyone, if so, entirely un-intentional.

robertsloan2
09-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Charlie, I used the white paper as white in the cloth behind the pears, but not on the highlights on the pears. I used a very pale pink in the highlights over white, which softened them and unified them with the color of the pears. Thanks for asking! Yeah, the kiss in the photo reference was pretty tricky. Sometimes a beautiful reference has one crazy thing like that and it needs to be handled with care. I tilted one of them too to try to break the symmetry.

Funny about the spookiness of the red rocks. That landscape always makes me think of fossils and the memory of animals millions of years old. I went out to the Badlands on family vacations as a kid with my dad the paleontologist. He would look at the strata and tell me how old this layer was, what animals lived at that time, which ones were younger - usually the younger rocks are on top unless a fold turns the strata upside down.

So to me any formation like that brings back the long history of the Earth in all its beauty. I fell in love with the storm clouds too. I'd always wanted to do clouds well and this painting has the best clouds I've ever done.

allydoodle
09-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I have a bit of time right now, so I'll try and catch up with everybody's paintings.

Nice Landscape David, I love the sky especially.

Super pears Tammy and Doug! You're braver than me, I avoided the folds in the fabric, I couldn't get enough visuals from the photo.

Portraits and figures are your thing Ruthie - great job on the ballerina!

Your wine caraff and glasses turned out wonderful Jim, don't you love that green?

Wonderful pears Judi, you've got some beautiful reds going on there!

Very economical Ruthie! Two challenges with one painting, and a super painting at that! You're really figuring out the still life subject, great!

Great underpainting for your landscape Doug. The landscape is so impressionistic, wonderful.

Your rocks rock David, wonderful pallet. Great job on that dramatic sky.

Love your caraff David, great shine on the glass.

Wow Tammy, you're on a roll, two paintings! Great job on the rocks,!

Glad you're un-lurking Cristiona, your pears are wonderful. The fabric looks great.

Kris, you're always so creative. I love your take on the pears, you always make me smile :) .

Love your caraff Judi, that violet in the foreground is great!

Great sketch Lyn, you've got the proportions down really well. And the horses are great, a difficult subject to get right and you did!

Love your iris Pam, beautifully soft.

Great pears Jim, your colors just glow!

I like the crop you did on the rocks Judi, excellent!

As usual Charlie, your colors are georgous. Those pears just glow, fantastic!

What a neat take on the horse Jen. Great use of color, you go girl!

Another neat crop from Kris, those irises are georgous. I can see that in a super large size hanging in someone's fancy livingroom.

Great shine on those pears Ncgirl!

You're copying Ruthie Robert, using one painting to cover two challenges! Great job, your colors are georgous. I also love your pears, nice and sketchy.

Phew...... I hope I got everybody! If not, I so apologize. I'm dizzy from going back and forth! Now that's a lot of paintings!

Great thread Don, lots of beautiful work here!

robertsloan2
09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Purr thank you Chris! I love using Spotlight photos to do other challenges. It dovetails so well and lets me really explore the Spotlight. This month's is so exciting anyway. They're also all serving the dual purpose of giving me some cool pieces to show on the 29th at my Street Art Screening.

I had a mat with an 8" square opening that I took out a piece I sold to someone just sitting around in a frame. I tucked that into one of the first boxes I packed because it filled a random space, so I had it here. After hanging it empty on the wall to get it out of my way and living with a framed piece of plain cardboard, today I decided to do one of the Spotlight photos in square format.

I couldn't resist using the Terry Ludwig Mystery Box for it again either, the violet in my MB was so rich and colorful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2011/70184-9-12-2011-2-Irises-post.jpg
Two Irises
8" square
Terry Ludwig "Mystery Box" pastels on gray Canson Mi-Tientes pastel paper
Photo reference by DAK723 for September 2011 Pastel Spotlight

That Mystery Box set is turning into an awesome sketch set. I'm having so much fun with it.

Judibelle
09-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Robert....As usual, beautiful renderings....love the highlights on the iris, and the pears are so nicely done. I really like the simplified background. and your rocks well...that rocks! Love the clouds...love the whole thing!
Chuas..your iris is stunning, as are the pears! always love your work.
ncgirl...great-looking pears. WEll done!
Chris...beautiful pears. Love the background, as well.... and thanks for your comments on my posts....

Turpintine45
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks ncgirl, Charlie, Robert, Don, Chris, Kris, for the good words on my in your face horse! I just felt like kicking up the traces!

Everyone has done some excellent work and I will just catch up on the last few.
Ncgirl: love those pears! They are so smooth they look like those wooden ones. I like how you have made the textured bg. And the slight touch of colour under the pears.

Robert: wow you are on a roll! I like how your clouds roll and the rocks thrust into them. Very dramatic. Those MB colours served you well.
The pears are great too they look like a bride and groom standing on the church steps!
The iris really glow with those yellow green stems and purple blue petals. I like the square format for them too.

Chris really admire the shine on your pears and the purple shadows. I like how you made the colorful bg too. Colour rocks!!!

DAK723
09-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Robert, Nice job on the pears and the irises! The irises especially have wonderful, curving forms! A nice use of line, too, to help define the forms - especially on the highlights of the purple petals!

Chris, Beautiful pears! Wonderful background, although I agree with a little more yellow gradating to the right.

Don

Colorix
09-13-2011, 11:21 AM
Robert, beautiful vignette of the irises, you do have a knack for capturing the essence with a few strokes. Thanks for the clarifying re cloth, you handled that really well.

We are having Irene visiting, the former Hurricane who now is not even a storm, it's become a gale.

Anyhoo, I did the rocks... and I post them "in the spirit of", as I didn't get the result I wanted. The foreground isn't finished, nor the rock, and it will not be, as the landscape is too alien for me to invent things. I don't know, I just got fed up with it. :p

The pears were much more fun!

A4 8x12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2011/117343-OR1-iz_6819.jpg

Turpintine45
09-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Charlie I do understand getting fed up with something I just completed a drawing that I hated last night but in the light of day looks much better !! However, the rock looks great. It has all your colour and passion and the bg looks wonderful too. It all works so I think you should look at it another day and finish it.

allydoodle
09-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Great colors Charlie. I do understand that painting something that feels from another planet doesn't work, I have a hard time doing that also. I guess that is why most of us stick to our local area, or at least paint things we've seen like on vacation. Our western landscape is definitely different. I've been there and seen it, even have photos I could paint from. It's definitely a different thing altogether.

I do think this turned out beautiful, it certainly looks like our western landscape!

allydoodle
09-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Beautiful irises Robert. Graceful and sketchy, and I love the way you've used the paper. This is one of my favorites of yours!

DAK723
09-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Charlie, I guess it is a sad day for me when someone's disappointing painting is twice as good as anything I'll ever do! I especially like the shape that you have made the main "rocks" and also like the atmospheric background rocks!

Don

robertsloan2
09-13-2011, 10:39 PM
Robert, beautiful vignette of the irises, you do have a knack for capturing the essence with a few strokes. Thanks for the clarifying re cloth, you handled that really well.

We are having Irene visiting, the former Hurricane who now is not even a storm, it's become a gale.

Anyhoo, I did the rocks... and I post them "in the spirit of", as I didn't get the result I wanted. The foreground isn't finished, nor the rock, and it will not be, as the landscape is too alien for me to invent things. I don't know, I just got fed up with it. :p

The pears were much more fun!

A4 8x12"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2011/117343-OR1-iz_6819.jpg

You might be frustrated with this. I can see where it's unfinished. But as far as you've gotten - wow! The shapes of your spire are beautiful, the land lays flat, the sky is rich and lovely. It's too bad you aren't going to finish it. I can understand that the scene is too alien though, having been there I know it's so unlike anything else.

Still this is a beautiful result! Your color mastery is wonderful.

In fact, just as it is, a second look and what I see is a rich late sunset scene. That time of day the light goes past golden orange into a rich reddish hue and it's just on the edge of getting dark. Well done!

sjb
09-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Hi all,

I'm warming up for a weekend trip to visit the in-laws: they have a cottage on an island not too far from here. I'm taking my easel and my pastels and we'll see what happens. So here's an effort at the iris:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2011/94247-imgp9726.ii.jpg

It's a mix of Rembrandt, Sennelier and Grumbacher pastels on whatever-the-yellowish-color-is-in-a-pad-of Canson paper. :) About two hours worth. When the flower was done, I didn't like the contrast with the yellow paper (the pale parts of the flower practically disappeared), so out came the green, yellow and medium green to give it a contrasting background.

Thanks Don for putting together the spotlight. I enjoyed playing along. Congratulations to everyone else and their submissions. I really enjoyed looking through them.

Simon

Colorix
09-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Simon, you offset the symmetry of the iris beautifully!

Jen, Chris, Don, Robert, thank you, I hear you, I'll let it rest for a while, until I'm less mentally stressed, as right now I just want to play a bit while I do other important things. See, my aim was to simplify the rock, and then it turned out symmetrical... and I got fascinated by the clouds (and they're almost OK in the actual painting, colour-wise), plus the distant mountains intrigued me (they too are OK in the painting). I think I lost focus, crammed too much into what was supposed to be a study, a sketch. And of course I jumped right into it, without doing notans or value studies or compositional thumbs... Robert, you made my day, I was thinking late afternoon!

allydoodle
09-14-2011, 07:59 AM
Beautiful Iris Simon. Great idea to put the background in, I don't like that particular color of Canson myself, I won't even try to use it anymore. I just can't get it to work for me, but you made it work quite nicely, the green was an excellent choice.

Colorix
09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Ah, mmmm, back in the old old comfy zone. Drama!

You know how I swear by sanded papers, loving tooth that allows for so many layers. So, I take some old Canson MT that has been sitting around for years, and the pastels I choose are Unisons, Giraults, Schminckes, Terry Ludwigs, Sennelier = all of them soft and highly reflective pastels, of excellent quality. They go beautifully on Canson -- and *stay* on -- with enough layers to make me happy.

The right paper/pastel combo.

You also know I prefer to work on white or light papers, so this time I chose black Canson. A vignette, but I know from before that it is pure h-- it is *difficult* to keep the black clean. There are some near blacks in the bg, lightly applied, and I used them also as 'erasers' for the dust that couldn't be blown away. (A huge patience-saver, I tell you.)

A4 (ca 8x12", or 9x12")

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/117343-Iris-iz-6826.jpg

robertsloan2
09-14-2011, 01:38 PM
Simon, your iris is great. I like the style, it's three dimensional and detailed. Cool green background, I like how you killed the yellow paper. The contrast makes the light petals look a lot better.

Charlie... wow! Drama! That's wonderful. I love the way you used the black paper. In person it must be even more beautiful with those strokes of near-black modifying it even if they're just to clear up smudges. Wonderful shimmering color and I love the way the stem fades out down to black, it looks like it's coming into focus. So dramatic. I look at the whites and see all those colors in the shadows and smile - they do mix optically and it is so much richer!

sjb
09-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Charlie: Nice one. I like using black paper as well. There's something about it that really kicks some life into the painting. I bumped up the colors in the white petals of the iris, but you took that even farther. Nice. Good change in the shapes of the stalks to give it a more fluid composition.

Thanks for the comments, all.

Simon

DAK723
09-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Simon, Thanks for joining us! Very nice job on the iris! Good decision on the background - making it darker to show off the white of the flower!

Charlie, Wonderful painting - on Canson, no less! The way the iris emerges from the background is truly magical! This may be the painting that inspires me to paint a painting this month!

Don

NC-artist
09-14-2011, 02:59 PM
You guys have been busy!! I don't even know where to begin.

There are some absolutely stunning paintings added!!

Fabulous job everybody!

robertsloan2
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2011/70184-9-14-2011-Spotlight-Landscape-Reflections.jpg
Trees and Reflections
6" x 9"
Pastel on paper
Photo reference by DAK723

allydoodle
09-14-2011, 09:39 PM
OMG Charlie, that is just georgous! You've nailed it, that iris just glows! I think you should do more work on black, your colors just sing! Beautiful, really beautiful....... (can you tell I really love it?)

Hey Robert, another beauty from you. I love those strong confident strokes of color, excellent!

robertsloan2
09-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Thank you! I'm itching to do more, getting dusty lately!

Colorix
09-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Robert, lovely warm feeling, and it is all about the sky which glows beautifully.

Simon, thank you. I love colour..., and yes, stalks/stems usually need to be 'jazzed', or at least downplayed -- green is a colour that attracts the eye, if not as much as yellow.

Don, thanks! If you're inspired to paint (you *are*, aren't you?), then the weeks good deed is made!

Robert, thanks! It does 'flow together' much better in real life, but I've given up on trying the "re-painting" the photo in PSE. What mixes optically in real life comes out as spotty and blotchy in a photo (less so when one brand is used, and when the pthalos are avoided).

Chris, thanks! Are you sure?.... LOL! Hey, it hit me it is a bit like your style, with drama of a still-life, which you do so exceptionally well.

Now I have to find another flower which can be this one's companion pice. I have one sheet of black left.

NC-artist
09-15-2011, 09:16 AM
After soaking in all the beautiful colors of Colorix's version, here's my attempt after about 2 hours.

Sorry Colorix, that's one beautiful 'scape.

http://i56.tinypic.com/km5a1.jpg

bluefish
09-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Charlie......stunning.......black backrounds make them 'pop'...on your one piece of black, try 'sunflowers'....the multi yellow petals look fabulous on black and then the blackish center ties it all together......you can't miss with this combo......

but don't cut off your ear.....that's already been done....:D

'blue......:wave: '

sjb
09-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Robert: Nice and loose. Sky is dramatic with its consistent direction on strokes. I like the trees above the waterline more than I like their reflections, for some reason. If the reflections were re-worked, I think this would be a great work.

Lyn: Good work with the bold colors and bold strokes. I think it's partly the angle of the photo, but the foreshortening on the tower of rocks gives it a look of an imposing height. I'm thinking Barad-dur from LoTR... :-)

Simon

NC-artist
09-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks sjb - I had fun with this one. Probably because I just love lots of shiny, bright colors LOL.

The photo itself is so other worldly and I think someone used the term "alien". It is but it's so wonderfu that things like this exist in naturel!

I finished it off much as I could before I ruined the spirit of the painting.

Ruthie57
09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
OMG!!! I have got so behind again :o There's been some great stuff on this thread so here goes.....

Charlie, Love the Pears, unusual angular shapes but they still look juicy and the Bg colours are beautiful!

Jen, I love your psychedelic Horse! Those mad colours actually work really well.

Chuas, Glorious Irises! This painting is so loose (and very successful). It amazes me that yo can do all those precise still lifes with the writing etc yet produce something like this! You are very versatile :clap:

NCGirl, I like your Pears! They are beautifully 3D and somehow look so natural, despite the red they have a calming effect on me.

Robert, Love your rock formation! Take a few steps back and it's a real wow :thumbsup: Those clouds are great! And the Pears. You really muted the colours, yet it still works! The Irises....you used the rough side of the canson! This is seriously good. those deft swift strokes really tell a story. Great stuff!

Chris, your "kissing" Pears are fabulous!

Charlie, whatever your feelings about the rocks this is a brilliant painting. You have made those (rather ugly IMO) rocks into something beautiful! The colours are great (as always) and I think you've givben them a presence which they just did not have in the photo.

Simon, good to see you here. Excellent rendition of the Iris pic!

Charlie (again) you have been busy. I just love this Iris :heart: Not always a fan of the vignette style but, oh, it's just lovely. Actually I want it and will e mail you about it :wave:

Robert (again) Great feel to this one. glowing sky!

Lyn, your rocks really glow! Charlie's work can be pretty inspiring can't it :)

Oooh, I'm through :evil: what a great half hour I've spent viewing all these....thanks!

May have an hour or so to do one tomorrow.......

DAK723
09-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Robert, Very nice job on the landscape pond! Your sketchy style always has lots of energy!

Lyn, I think Charlie's inspiration worked! You've really made the rocks very dramatic with some great warm/cool contrasts!

Don

allydoodle
09-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice one Lyn, those colors are fantastic!

robertsloan2
09-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Wow, thank you! Simon, I smudged the reflections and didn't restate them, unlike the rest of the painting. Is that what's off about the reflections? Or is it something else about them? I might play with it again, then replace the image on the Etsy listing.

Or just try the scene again on different paper and see what I get using different pastels.

Ruthie57
09-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Yay! I made time to do one! took me 2 hours, on canson. Now I see the image it is not actually finished. Don't know if/when I'll get back to it though so here it is with all it's errors.
It was great fun to do :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2011/189061-turquoise_vase.jpg

mij
09-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Crumbs a few days away and I feel I have been taken over by the time lords.

Judi, nice take on the rock formation.

Turpentine going for different colours in the horse and it worked.

Chuas a nice 'take' on the iris. That blue /purple looks lovely against the green bg.

Ncgirl, yes you should have re-named the image. The stem at that angle makes it look as if the one on the our left is all puckered up with stem (hair) swept back ready for action :lol:

I liked your's Robert. The forms of the rocky out crop and the pears.. The irises are very painterly. The trees well done – not that I'm qualified on trees yet (:wink2:)The strokes let me know who did them

Allydoodle, similar to the comment above this could be re-named and the stem left at that angle. I'd also (like you suggest) like the lighter value taken a little more across the image to show the shape of the pair to our right. But it looks fine anyway.

Charlie I'd go along with the others in saying that rock looks fine. If you are disappointed with it that means you wanted something else here- you intended another outcome? It looks lovely to me.
The dramatic view of the iris on a black bg is very striking. I love the black support in this.

Simon I agree about the change in bg colour. You needed that to show the 'flahr' in it's true colours. Lovely.

NC-artist, yes it does look rather alien doesn't it. I'd expect some alien life 'form' (there's that word again) to pop out from behind the rock any time soon. (:lol:)

Glad you found time to have a go Ruth and it looks good. It seems finished to me so I am unsure of what you mean by that. You have put the high lights in the carafe as well as having the projection on the wall going the correct way. Great choice of colours/shades.
jim

allydoodle
09-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Nice job on the glass Ruthie! Great shine, excellent use of Canson paper!

sketchZ1ol
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
hello
great pieces all around . i do enjoy seeing them .

Ruthie - curious ; i had the same subject in mind for awhile .
- not as quick or as complete as your piece
but enough for one session .

Ed }

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2011/203336-100_5014.jpg

9 x 5 1/2 " Canson white with Nupastel , Rembies , and Grumbies - no fixative

Judibelle
09-16-2011, 11:51 AM
Oh ...Ruthie and Ed....beautiful, beautiful! great shine, reflections, and shadows!
Good crop on it, too, Ed...

sketchZ1ol
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
hello

correction :
Ruthie - i meant to say 'complex' regarding your piece
> you've painted all of the ref pix
and wrote you knew that some things were unfinished .

my apology for any misunderstanding all round .

sketchZ1ol
09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
hello
thx Judi :)
my hat's off to Ruthie for working the entire image
and in less than half the the time i spent .

Ruthie57
09-16-2011, 12:50 PM
No problem Ed! when you said complete I just thought you meant you hadn't done the complete ref and I had! Yours is definitely more refined than mine and the crop is a good one.
I probably won't go back to this anyway, quite like the unfinished look of some of it. The glasses are both somewhat wonky though and the bottle itself is too tall, the shadow is wrong etc etc....But it was fun!
Thanks Jim, Chris and Judi too!

sketchZ1ol
09-16-2011, 02:32 PM
hello
Ruthie - thx , yes , maybe , maybe :)
the objects are tight ,
but you pushed in some strong colour
to take it beyond the ref pix .

DAK723
09-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Ruth and Ed - great job on both of your paintings! You both have given the the items a sense of transparency and a sense of mass - not easy to do! Wonderful forms and a very nice crop, Ed!

Don

robertsloan2
09-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Ruth, I love your version of the blue glass still life. It's rich and transparent, has beautiful depth and solidity. Most of all the shadow vibrates with refracted light and you got the colors in the shadow so well. The whole piece is lovely. I can see the areas where you haven't refined it yet, especially the clear bases of the objects. I hope you do decide to go back and finish those last details, the painting is so worth it.

Ed, yours is gorgeous too. Your unusual crop is so striking! It becomes almost abstract by cropping in that tight. Beautiful transparency and depth. The shadows feel insubstantial. Well done!

Both of you just knocked my eyes out. I haven't even tried that reference, you're soaring with it.

artyjim
09-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Ruthie, Ed, seems like the glass has gotten a hold just lately, I did this one during our weekly club meet last night. Both of your efforts are applauded!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2011/975995-glass.jpg

Ruthie57
09-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, maybe we're psychic!! Three the same one after the other. Great work Arty Jim! You've captured the form and the 3D and the sense of glass beautifully!

JDunn
09-16-2011, 05:03 PM
So many gorgeous pieces, it has inspired me to jump in. I am relatively new to pastel, only about 4 or 5 months of playing around; mostly with life drawing.

I will comment on several of the more recent drawings, but Ruthie, Ed, and Jim, I am joining you with the glassware. I did a slightly different crop. It is 18" x 24", on a grey-blue tinted charcoal paper. I spent almost 2 hours on it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Sep-2011/975561-110916GlasswareWetCanvasPastelSept.jpg

I took some liberties with the background in order for the glass to pop. I think it could you some more work/refinement, but for my first real stab at glassware, I am pretty happy.
C & C more than welcome! I am learning here!:)

Thanks!

Judy

JDunn
09-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Simon, I love the crop of your iris. Those deep, deep purples on the petals capture that velvety feel of the real thing, and your background works perfectly.
Charlie, everything I have seen has been spectacular. I love your approach to color. The irises sparkle, and that is not something I usually think of with irises. The angularity of the pears was fun….something that is so curvy to develop a little bit of an angle was fresh, and inviting. Your rocks were vibrating with energy. Beautiful.
Robert, the trees were beautifully rendered. Soft and energetic at the same time.
Lyn, your sky is magical. The clouds seem to be dancing. A lovely soft touch of color there that beautifully balances out the colors in the rocks.
Ruthie, your glassware is gorgeous. The colors are spot on, and the sparkle is perfect. I love the soft transition you have between the wall and the table, and the stopper beautifully executed. I agree that going a little further might we worth it.
Ed, great crop! I love the smooth finish you have achieved, along with the crisp definition of your forms. I found that to be challenging. Great job!
Jim, great job with the glass as well! You have really gotten that transition in value at the edges of the forms very nicely. And your reflections just brings it alive. Nice work!

There were so many more wonderful pieces, but I figured I have a post a mile long if I tried to comment on them all....so I limited myself to the most recent posts.

JDunn
09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
Simon, I love the crop of your iris. Those deep, deep purples on the petals capture that velvety feel of the real thing, and your background works perfectly.
Charlie, everything I have seen has been spectacular. I love your approach to color. The irises sparkle, and that is not something I usually think of with irises. The angularity of the pears was fun….something that is so curvy to develop a little bit of an angle was fresh, and inviting. Your rocks were vibrating with energy. Beautiful.
Robert, the trees were beautifully rendered. Soft and energetic at the same time.
Lyn, your sky is magical. The clouds seem to be dancing. A lovely soft touch of color there that beautifully balances out the colors in the rocks.
Ruthie, your glassware is gorgeous. The colors are spot on, and the sparkle is perfect. I love the soft transition you have between the wall and the table, and the stopper beautifully executed. I agree that going a little further might we worth it.
Ed, great crop! I love the smooth finish you have achieved, along with the crisp definition of your forms. I found that to be challenging. Great job!
Jim, great job with the glass as well! You have really gotten that transition in value at the edges of the forms very nicely. And your reflections just brings it alive. Nice work!

There were so many more wonderful pieces, but I figured I have a post a mile long if I tried to comment on them all....so I limited myself to the most recent posts.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/smilies/clap.gif to all who dove in and then shared their work.

robertsloan2
09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Jim, your glassware is gorgeous. Beautiful rendering and great symmetry on the carafe and glasses. Well done! I like the way you changed the color of the glass too, it's beautiful in green.

Judy, your crop is great. I love the rich color and beautiful glass effects. You got the transparency too and the painting is elegant.

I love seeing everything that's coming up in this challenge.

allydoodle
09-17-2011, 12:32 AM
I like your crop Ed, and the glass looks great!

DAK723
09-18-2011, 10:01 AM
It seems like almost all the posts from yesterday have disappeared. I know the site has been having technical problems, but not sure what happened.

Hopefully there will be some word from the technical staff soon! Sorry for all the lost posts. Hopefully they can be recovered.

And hopefully this post won't disappear....

Don

JDunn
09-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks to all who gave me such generous feedback on my glass piece. It was fun to do and has inspired me to try a few more still life pieces....and that is what it is all about, huh??

sketchZ1ol
09-18-2011, 12:33 PM
hello
FYI , Sat threads have disappeared from the Studio as well .
whaddahyahgonnahdoo :rolleyes:

Colorix
09-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Don, all, this has happened before, and it seems that normally lost posts are gobbled up by the Cyber Gremlins, never to be seen again.

Lyn, totally wonderful colour in your Rock, it rocks! (Sorry, couldn't resist...) Love how you lightened the shadows so the colour in them is singing!

Blue, thank you, I'll keep my ear then. Maybe a little toe....? :-)

Jim, thank you. You're absolutely right, it (rocks) is nothing like I wanted. I lost the vision there. (But I'm not brushing it out, might just try again.)

Jim, lovely glass, I really like how you shifted the colour towards more green, and got the volume.

Judy, thanks a lot. The iris does sparkle, that black background pops colours wonderfully.

Judy, good convincing glass, and the bg definitely made them pop!, goes a long way to reduce the monochromatic sense of the pic.

Ed, a cool crop! Good 'glassiness'.

Ruthie, (the comment to you went missing, am editing it in). Gorgeous glasses, they sparkle wonderfully. And thank you so much for comments re my efforts, the rock is 'gestating', it probably only needs a few strokes (but it ain't what I wanted it to be). Iris is talked about privately, thanks!

Ruthie57
09-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Hurray, I'm back on WC! Haven't been able to get here all day....some server problem. Probably the same thing which gobbled up all those posts from yesterday.

Judy, good to see you here! Gorgeous glass, good crop and the bottle looks beautifully rounded. Thanks for your comments on mine.

Charlie, thank you!

Still can't get over all these glass bottles coming up one after the other!

Colorix
09-18-2011, 02:59 PM
It is pretty cool to see how most of the pics were painted in the same order by all participants!

*Deirdre*
09-18-2011, 03:11 PM
We know the site went down for a while on Saturday and can only assume there was a database error....we won't know more until work resumes tomorrow...sorry! If you can...please repost:)

robertsloan2
09-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Charlie, that's an interesting observation. You're right. I was thinking of sketching the bottles next. lol

robertsloan2
09-18-2011, 06:05 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2011/70184-9-18-2011-Dancer-Post.jpg
Dancer
5 1/2" x 8"
Conte 12 color Portrait set
Stillman & Birn Delta journal heavy ivory paper.
Photo reference by yolanta, featured in Sept. 2011 Pastel Spotlight.

So once I got the references open, I decided to do the dancer first. I was testing the skin tones I'd get with the Portrait set and pretty happy with it. I might develop her into a larger painting later on but I'm happy with her proportions - that was a big part of what I was trying to get. Her form. Her shape in three dimensions.

I love this challenge and I may wind up doing all of them by the end of the month, it's been a joy.

robertsloan2
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2011/70184-9-19-2011-Blue-Glass.jpg
Blue-Green Glass
5.5" x 8"
Carb-Othello pastel pencils on Stillman & Birn "Delta" journal
Photo reference by She-She from Sept. 2011 Pastel Spotlight

My go at the ultra popular still life in this month's Spotlight. I'm happy with the symmetry on the objects but I could probably do better with this if I did it again, maybe several times. It's a tough one!

JDunn
09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Nice job on both pieces Robert. I like your glass piece a lot. The stopper is nicely sculpted, and I like the way you resolved the stems and bases of the glasses,....I know how challenging they were!

Your dancer is very well executed as well. You really captured her form perfectly.

DAK723
09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Robert, Very nice job on both of these! The glassware has a real nice sense of confident execution! No extraneous marks - every stroke with a purpose!

Don

robertsloan2
09-20-2011, 01:25 AM
Thank you! I loved all the references in this month's Spotlight.

Colorix
09-20-2011, 06:09 AM
Robert, both are really nice, and the glass still-life -- I love how you differentiated the shadow from the objects!

sjb
09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm back from my plein air excursion and the posts have multiplied! Lots of interest in the glassware. That one just scares me, but so did the idea of portraits before I tried them out. :-) Nice work on them. Jim and Judy, good work playing with the colors, taking them in different directions. Very believable glass effects. Robert, the shadow in your take on the glassware made me think of the painting Puberty by Edvard Munch. The form and color choices (larger and darker) draw the eye to the shadow and away from the obvious subject.

Simon

robertsloan2
09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Thank you! I worked harder on the shadow than any other part of the painting. It took many layers and some dusting-off to get it right.

NC-artist
09-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I'm sad so many posts disappeared :(.

Robert - glad you did the ballarina!! She's gorgeous! The glass is also very well done and what you've done with the shadow is fascinating! It's almost as if it's telling it's own story inside of the painting. Really cool stuff :thumbsup:

tvandeb
09-20-2011, 06:53 PM
I just got back from New Mexico late last week, Friday, so first time to check all the work, being done in here.. wow, you all have been busy in a weeks time, gorgeous paintings all!!!:clap: :clap:

I did the wine carafe and glasses, I've done this ref before when I was just starting out in pastel, and this one is a bit better. Done on 4" x 10" white pastelmat with carb-othello pastel pencils...:) Great refs this month, Thanks!!!!:clap: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2011/71359-spotline_winecarfateand_glasses-09.20.11-Sept.2011.jpg

Five
09-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Here is my version of the Iris.
8x10 smooth side of Canson, grey green color, with Derwent Pastel pencils.

Turpintine45
09-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Wow I have got some catching up to do. Will comment after this. Here is my version of the dancer. It is on canson with pastel pencils. 7 x 11

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2011/216461-IMG_6723_Medium.jpg

Turpintine45
09-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Charlie: beautiful Iris in all your signiture colours!! The black background really showcases it too.
Robert: love the strokes in your wonderfully loose landscape!
Lyn: love the colours in the rocks and the big puffy cloud. Charlie is a good artist to imitate.
Ruthie: great job on the sparkly glass, you have really captured the delicacy and transparency of the glass.
Ed: interesting crop. I like how you handled the shadow.
Jim: I love the glass colour, you have a nice sense of space and lightness and sparkle in the shadow as well as the glass.
Judy: another nice crop. Great work on the glass.
Robert: nice work on the dancer, good sense of light and form.
The glasses are good too and I really like how to made the twist on the stopper.
Linda: great little painting you got a lot of good stuff in that small size.
Five: wonderful irises!!! Very smooth and well balanced. The background is perfect for showcasing them!!!
I think that is everybody, please forgive me if I have missed anyone.

robertsloan2
09-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Jen, your version of the dancer is delightful! She looks so sprightly and intense, I love how you captured the tension of her body. Proportions are perfect and her face is sweet. Beautiful!

Thanks for your comments on mine. Much appreciated. I've been working at getting looser.

Five, beautiful irises. I like the wisps of background you put in, the subtle variations that blend softly into the background. Perfect form and elegant rendering.

Tammy, wow! You really got the clarity and shine of the glass. Great symmetry and detail. I love how you did the highlights and captured the feeling of the shadow with its rippled variations. Gorgeous.

DAK723
09-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Tammy - Great Job on the glassware! Very strong piece!

Five - Thanks for joining us! Very nice job on the irises! They really jump out from the background!

Jen - Very nice rendition of the dancer! You've definitely caught the pose!

Don

spirothet
09-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I finally completed a July Spotlight Painting. Work was done on Mi Tientes paper and the size is 14 x 11. C & C welcome. I also posted this in Gallery, I wasn't sure if that was the right place. Hopefully I will start one or two September Spotlight paintings next. Thanks, Cali

*Deirdre*
09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
The right place is within the Spotlight thread Cali...never mind...you'll know next time...this time I'll move it there for you!:D

robertsloan2
09-23-2011, 12:10 AM
I remember that reference and it looks great, Cali!

Turpintine45
09-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Calli lovely vibrant painting of the water and upper village.

I did this tonight. I thought I would try an abstract version of the rocks. I'm not sure it is particulaly successful but it was fun to do. 7x14 canson with MV pastels

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2011/216461-IMG_6733RR_Medium.jpg

Dharma_bum
09-23-2011, 03:36 AM
Well, I've been away from the easel for quite a while, thought I would pop in and add something, my pair of pears. Fun to get dusty again, will see if I can keep it up. I took certain liberties with the shapes, and put them in conversation. I see now the shadows still need some work to more fully anchor them.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0353_2.jpg

Dan

spirothet
09-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Dierdre – Thanks, I’ll try to remember for the next time.

Robert, jen, & Doug – Thanks for your comments

Dak, Great pictures for this month. I have been dying to try a few, but alas, a badly sprained arm doesn’t help. I’ve started the mountain and as soon as I’m finished I will post it. In the meantime, I have to say I’ve seen some great work this month. . I looked at all of these amazing paintings, and I have to admit, there were a few that just stood out.

Pears – Tammy, Doug, Judi, Ruthie, Cristiona, Chaus, Jim, Charlie, NCGirl, Robert, Chris, Dan

Ballerina – Ruthie, Lyn, Robert, Jen,

Bottles – Jim, Barriespapa, Judi, Ruthie, Ed, Jim, Judy, Robert, Tammy,

Trees – Barriespapa, Charlie, Doug, Robert,

Mountain – David, Tammy, Judi, Robert, Charlie, Lyn, Jen,

Horses – Lyn, Jen,

Iris– Pam, Chaus, Robert, Simon, Charlie, Five,

Charlie, your work leaves me breathless. Your pears were out of the box in their shape, the trees and their reflection are soft and soothing, and your Iris with the colors you used are exquisite! The other painting that jumped out at me was the mountain painting done first by David, and Roberts’ as well.

What amazes me is that the month is not over. So I’m sure there are more great pieces to come.

Thanks all for the great art show. Cali

Five
09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Here is my version of the grazing horses.
9x12 smooth side of Strathmore Pure Color Tints, Derwent Pastel Pencils and some Rembrants.
C & C always welcome.

spirothet
09-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Hi Five,

Very well done! Cali

DAK723
09-23-2011, 07:58 PM
Cali - Nice job on the July Spotlight painting! It is certainly OK to post previous Spotlight paintings finished after the month in the "Gallery." You'll notice that some folks looking for more critique will x-post current Spotlight paintings in the Gallery, too.

Jen - You have definitely taken these month's theme to another level! You have really designed all the forms here - and I think the result is excellent!

Dan - Thanks for joining us! The pears are very nicely done! I like the way they are huddled together!

Five - Really nice job on the horses! The forms really stand out on the green background! Nice modeling of light on the horses back's, too!

Don

robertsloan2
09-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Jen, your abstract rocks are cool! Beautiful shapes and patterns.

Dan, great looking pears. They look almost romantic, very emotional rendering, so cool. Love the colors too.

Five, your horses are fantastic. Great modeling and anatomy. I struggle a lot with equine anatomy so my hat's off to you on those!

Turpintine45
09-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Thanks Cali, Don and Robert.

Dan love your pears I wonder what they are saying?!!

Five great job with the horses, not the easiest animals to do. I like the smoothness of their coats.

Dharma_bum
09-24-2011, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. For some reason I find it easy to see pears as having human characteristics, and find them a lot of fun to paint, but then I also see a hand reaching to the sky in Jen's rock painting. :)

Five's horses would be much more difficult for me to get the proportions right - nice job.

Dan

Greenbrier33
09-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Instead of wasting this brown paper shopping bag...thought I'd recycle at least a piece of it for an Iris sketch.

Fun flower, and funny sketched upon a piece of would-be trash. :)

It's great to see so many participants...this thread lives well.

Dave (Greenbrier33)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2011/227425-100_2287.jpg

SoulBro82
09-24-2011, 10:50 AM
Almost missed this one!
but I gave a shot with the ballerina, wanted to try using some of my harder pastels again. these spotlights are great for experimentation...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2011/32557-326973796-500x500.jpg

Judibelle
09-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Well done on the ballerina, Soulbro! very nice.
Dave, your iris is lovely! and on a brown paper bag! Wow!
Dharmabum...very nice pears..I like the way you varied their shapes.
Jen.... I LOVE your abstract rocks...and yes, I saw the hand reaching up immediately! Liked you planned it that way...
cali...i like your version of that spotlight photo...nicely done!
five...very well-done horses! Glad you joined in...
Tammy...Love your take on the glass...beautifully done!

Everyone has done such a great job in the Spotlight this month! Kudos all around...

robertsloan2
09-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Dave, I love your iris on a brown paper shopping bag. That's so gorgeous. Since it came out so well, I seriously recommend you get a can of Krylon "Make It Acid Free" spray and spray it on the back - it'll help make the acidic paper last longer. That's too beautiful to just let it fall apart in a few years from the cheap paper.

SoulBro, your version of the dancer is gorgeous. I love the warm colors and soft light in it, you created something wonderful with your color harmony. Her face is subtle and powerful. Well done!

DAK723
09-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Dave (Greenbrier33) - Very nice job on the iris! Your forms have captured the delicacy of the iris very well!

SoulBro - Very nice job on the dancer! Good pose and I like some of the glow you have created with the intense ocher color!

Don

mij
09-25-2011, 04:06 AM
Ed Lovely round form on your glass carafe.

Arty Jim A nice take on the glassware also nicely rounded. You have a nicely placed highlight on the stopper at the top which can only be seen on a non white bg.

Nice one Judy, that blue looks all glass. Surprising isn't it that an opaque medium can look so transparent.

Robert a good rendering of the ballet dancer. You are very painterly and loose in this. A nice take on the glass as well.

Tammy well done in giving this another go. Yes this month has been quite busy on this page. Good inspirational photos and support – essential ingredients here. Lovely glass and high-lights.

Five the iris is very well drawn and painted in. Those stems look very real and the petals so delicate. What a beautiful blue that is. Your horses Look so good as well. Very successfully done.

Jen, you are brave to do the dancer. I struggle with human proportions and you have made her fit that bill so well. You rocks are almost abstract – well done.

Cali I remember that scene from the previous month but I wouldn't have gone back to look without a pointer. You have recession in them thar hills and the houses are colourfull against their bg.

Dan you have re-arranged the pears just a little and I think it makes this take all the more interesting. Yes they do look as if they are talking.

Dave (Greenbrier) Liked your iris and especially done on a brown paper bag. Yes very 'green' and considerate of our use of resources.

SoulBro82 I'm a recent addition to this group so a hello from me and well done on the ballet dancer. Very atmospheric and agree that the spotlight encourages us to be experimental in our approach.

I am still trying trees but other things got in the way this month or I would have tried a few more of these.
There are only five more days to the end of this month so not a lot of time to squash much more in. Thanks to Don for hosting and for the inspirational images. I was itching to do more every time I looked but other things here at home were more pressing.
jimW

Dougwas
09-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I have been off tackling landscapes and haven't been to this thread for a while. I just looked at all of the paintings and I enjoyed every minute. It is great to see some new faces here and maybe it will entice some of the LURKERS out there to get off their butts ond join in the fun!

Don, you do a great job hosting this thread. As you can see, there are many painters at WC who enjoy the monthly challenge. Thanks for taking the time to organize and host The Spotlight every month.

Doug

robertsloan2
09-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Jim, thank you!

Doug, I second that remark. Hey Lurkers - have a go at these great references. I'd love to see your versions. They're probably better than you think they are, we're always our own worst critics.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2011/70184-9-26-2011-Horses-Pears-Sketches.jpg
Gray Horses, Red Pears
5 1/2" x 8"
Carb-Othello pastel pencils
Stillman & Birn Delta Journal (cream heavy paper)
Photo references - horses by bookscorpion, pears by ivyleaf, both from RIL used for Sept. 2011 Pastel Spotlight.

I had to finish doing all the Spotlight references at least once. Don, this month's references were all amazing and I had so much fun. A second version of the pears made sense when the horses wound up using only half the page. I didn't want to turn the journal on its side.

mij
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Robert I like your horses, very painterly, in proprotion place and perspective as well. I do admire peeps that do animals so well.
Your pairs look as if they are taking centre stage, the folds could be taken for a 'curtain up'. :lol: They also look as if they are whispering to one another.
Made me smile :)
jimW

mij
09-27-2011, 04:41 AM
aplogies for the mis-tryping on proportion and pears in the foregoing post- sometimes these big fingers just hits more than one key at a time- or get dyslexic even.
jimW

DAK723
09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
Robert,

Wonderful job on the last 2 paintings! And congratulations on doing all the references! The horses and the pears both have excellent form and volume!

Don

spirothet
09-27-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi Robert,

Your horses look amazing! I'm not an expert but the certainly look well proportioned. As for your pears, they look good enough to eat. Nicely done. Thanks for sharing. Cali

robertsloan2
09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Wow, thank you! As I got closer and closer I started hoping I could do all of the references and then I realized I had only one left. I had to do those horses. Thank you for such a great topic too, Don! Throughout all of them I was concentrating on form, trying to either get the form accurate or change it in pleasing ways.

Purr thanks for all your comments! I hope I can come back to some of the sketches and develop them into serious paintings later too.

Davkin
09-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I decided to do this for my 30 minute painting tonight. 9x12 on Canson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2011/201970-pastel-06.jpg

David

DAK723
09-29-2011, 10:55 PM
David, I really like this!

Don

Davkin
09-30-2011, 12:05 AM
Thanks Don.

robertsloan2
09-30-2011, 12:39 AM
I decided to do this for my 30 minute painting tonight. 9x12 on Canson.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2011/201970-pastel-06.jpg

David

David, this is gorgeous! You've captured a moody storm-and-sunny day with strong shadows in the sunlit areas and strong cloud shadows on the spire - wow this reads so true for mad wild weather! Welcome the annual rains! It's wonderful! Beautiful version of the red spire reference! Go you!

Davkin
09-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Thanks Robert. These 30 minute exercises sure are teaching me to loosen up and get creative. I don't have time to overthink things. :D

David

DAK723
09-30-2011, 10:40 PM
I'd like to extend a huge thank you to all the participants of this month's Spotlight. It has certainly has gotten the most participation of any of the Spotlights that I have hosted - and an incredible number of great paintings! Thank you for making the Spotlight a success!

Don