PDA

View Full Version : The Argument

TJS
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2012/147595-TheArgument.JPG

Comments and criticism welcome.

davefriend
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
I love it when the negative spaces become the subject. Nice job TJS and welcome to WC and the Abstract and Contemporary Forum.

Inluvwithparis
02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Oooh I really like this, would love to know what medium you used though, and your process. Great name btw.

TJS
02-02-2012, 04:09 PM
Thank you davefriend and Inluvwithparis. This is an Acrylic on 24" X 18" stretched canvas. I used a combination of throwing, pouring and blending (with an old sock).

Inluvwithparis
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
''With an old sock'':) ?
I'm only just starting down the road of abstract expressionism, that's a new one on me. I'm working on a Pollock style piece at the moment and a 'sock' never occured to me. I cut a tiny hole in the lid of a bottle today, now the sock I may try over the weekend,:lol:
Can I ask how did you get you acrylic to 'flow' I've resorted to using household emulsion?.

RandyC
02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Very cool. I like the addition of the bold lines that rives an overhead winding river impression.

davefriend
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
''With an old sock'':) ?
I'm only just starting down the road of abstract expressionism, that's a new one on me. I'm working on a Pollock style piece at the moment and a 'sock' never occured to me. I cut a tiny hole in the lid of a bottle today, now the sock I may try over the weekend,:lol:
Can I ask how did you get you acrylic to 'flow' I've resorted to using household emulsion?.I found this quote on Pollock and his method quite interesting and I believe that enamel paint was household paint which I assume was oil based in his day.

"Pollock began laying canvas on the floor and pouring, dribbling, and flicking enamel paint onto the surface, sometimes straight from the can, or with sticks and stiffened brushes. The density of interlacing liquid threads of paint is balanced and offset by puddles of muted colors and by allover spattering."

From http://www.moma.org/collection/object.php?object_id=78386

TJS
02-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I use acrylic house paint that I mix with a paint paddle. To pour I pull the paddle from the paint, hold it over the canvas and allow it to drizzle onto the surface. I do this several times over the course of several days.

PushingPixels
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
FINALLY a use for those random socks that loose their mates! And all this time I have been tossing them :). Great piece BTW.

RTT
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Nice work - an attractive piece!