PDA

View Full Version : 2012 untitled -nebula technique

ribeyedsmile
02-02-2012, 08:08 AM
2-1-2012

8x10 acrylic on canvas

Mostly inks but suspended in medium. Throwback to a style I did in late 80's which typicaly resulted in outer space nebulas. Well, I felt it needed to be brought back into my lil repetoire of techniques.

C&C of course and dont be shy (good or bad).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Feb-2012/188783-2012_UNTITLED_LR.jpg

JeffGordon
02-02-2012, 08:16 AM
that looks like fun! I love finding new techniques, usually by a misfortune, that result that spark of ingenuity. Excellent work and thanks for sharing!

ribeyedsmile
02-02-2012, 04:30 PM
hi jeff, thanx

Go ahead and start pouring the paint

chammi kaiser
02-02-2012, 04:32 PM
That is lovely. Reminds me of some of the beautiful things ones sees whilst diving.

Chia
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Looks like a fun process! My brain is such that it wants to identify shapes and I see a very menacing face back there - like something out of a scary sci-fi movie. Lots for the eyes to play with here. I like it!

skappy
02-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Beautiful light and action
Robert

lt_scout
02-02-2012, 09:18 PM
I like it a lot, great effect

ribeyedsmile
02-03-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks for taking a look guys :D (Chammi, Coralie, Robert, lt_scout)

Hey, technical. Since I used ink, I post it in ink groups at this deviant art thingy. But if I am suspending the ink in an isolation pour of medium... is it "Paint"?

Out of convenience to myself I interpret it as ink so I post there and in paint but I think if someone said "Mike, its an acrylic painting and those groups probably mean Ink as in drawing".

There are all these interpretations. If I take sumi ink and brush...its a drawing...duh, Huh?

Robwood
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Michael- very cool technique! You manage somehow to create depth with a totally abstract subject. As I stare at it awhile I start to see Gumby laying down playing guitar at the bottom of the frame!

Rob

AllisonR
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
This is soooo much fun. I love the neon yellow edges. The funky ice blue reminds me of jellyfish. I can't find gumby though, too bad. ;) It does have that 70s-80s acid look though. Small crit - I don't like the way the blacks blend in the upper left. I get that you want to have the purples in there - I think that is good. But the way the blacks and purples blend is just off somehow, imo. Maybe better blending, and then some purple glazes on the top instead?

ribeyedsmile
02-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Hey Rob, I SEE GUMBY! didn't notice it till ya pointed it out. He is huge. Literaly all that blue across bottom with a misshaped head.

Hi Allison, Your absolutly right but, The scanner isn't playing well. The colors in reality are a nearly transparent glaze with a slight hint of purple.

If you saw the actual. But Your crit is dead on, that area bothers me, the purple isnt nearly smooth enough in the inserted JPG. Good eye Alison.