colourwheel123
02-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Hi,

Today I tried painting acrylic.

I painted 2 spheres:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2012/973134-photo1.jpeg

Questions:

1) Are these spheres okay?

2) How come there are many lines? Look at the texture of the painting! How do I get rid of them and achieve a smooth leveled painting texture? SEE BELOW:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Feb-2012/973134-photo.jpeg

Thanks111

vmrs
02-02-2012, 02:03 AM
The lines could be from brushes that are too stiff or maybe you're not using enough paint. Or maybe the paper had scratches on it. Or you could be overworking the paint as it dries. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos.
The spheres look good though.

colourwheel123
02-02-2012, 03:29 AM
Okay! Thanks for ur advice~

chammi kaiser
02-02-2012, 04:48 AM
I think your spheres are jolly good. As for the paint, I think you are trying to cover your first layers with more paint while they are still a little tacky. Might be a good idea to start with to spray your surface very lightly, then apply the paint smoothing or blending the colours together with a soft brush.Once the first layer is completely dry, then add the next. A hairdryer will hasten the process. There is lots of advice in our classroom section so worth paying it a visit. Enjoy.

Einion
02-02-2012, 05:00 AM
1) Are these spheres okay?
Compared to what? :) Seriously, some painters would be perfectly happy with these but your standards are your own, so if you're not happy with them continue practising and experimenting.

2) How come there are many lines? Look at the texture of the painting! How do I get rid of them and achieve a smooth leveled painting texture?
Any or all of these:
dilute the paint;
use softer brushes;
work in layers (making sure each is dry before applying the next).

Quite a few prior threads on achieving a smooth finish so well worth trying a search.

Einion

fiddlinjohn
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I think these are good. They look just like spheres. I would also like to say that I actually like the fact that they are not smooth. I like the texture.

colourwheel123
02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
^ Thanks! I still feel that I need A LOT more work. However, I prefer it to be smooth :P Just my personality I guess

Rick G
02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
You may want to try Golden Open Acrylics. They are formulated to allow a longer open time, which lets you blend colors more smoothly.

Debbie.lee Miszaniec
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Lots of great tips! Also, you can try adding Golden's Polymer medium and a bit of retarder to your paint to thin the colour and promote levelling. Keep your paints on the palette moist while you work, a fine mist spray bottle (don't buy one, just wash out an old one from spray in conditioner or such) of water used every few minutes on your palette works well for this.

colourwheel123
02-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all your great advices!!