PDA

View Full Version : Different Strokes: February 2012 Challenge

PattiLou
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the February 2012 edition of Different Strokes.

If you would like to host a Different Strokes, please see the Schedule thread here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864282) - it is a sticky near the top of the main forum page.

Please read the guidelines below carefully.

GUIDELINES:
On the first of each month a reference photo (or photos) will be posted in a thread entitled "Different Strokes".

Artwork can be any size on any surface but MUST be acrylic.
Each member interested in taking the challenge will create a painting using the chosen reference(s) (whole or cropped)
and on the 20th of each month participants will upload their interpretation of the reference for discussion within this thread, finished or not.
Be as inventive, creative and different as you wish!

PLEASE DO NOT UPLOAD WORK TO THE THREAD BEFORE THE 20TH OF THE MONTH.**

At the end of the month the thread /discussion will be closed and a new challenge will begin.

**Please note, the single 'reveal' date is chosen so that we do not influence each other with our individual interpretations ......
that's the whole point of it being called 'Different Strokes'!
By all means ask questions in the thread or initiate discussion about the challenge - just don't post images!!!:)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought we all needed some cheerful colors to get us through this taxing time.
My DH gets stressed at tax time and I try to avoid him whenever possible. :lol:

When we we visited Maine these bright, colorful lobster pot floats caught my eye and I just had to take a picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2012/125378-LobstermanMemorial-w_pgh.jpg
and one I zoomed in.........
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2012/125378-LobstermanMemorial2-w_pbh.jpg
Feel free to crop the images, add to, or take out things if you wish.

As a challenge try an unusual composition or colors (or both) if you're of a mind to do so.

Remember to have fun... I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Ready.... set..... go!

JFountain
02-01-2012, 06:41 AM
:) I like this one what part of Maine is this. Ive been there before in bar harbor beautiful place. Looking forward to this challenge. Thanks Patty :thumbsup: JAY

PattiLou
02-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi Jay, this was in Bass Harbor on Mount Desert Island in Acadia National Park. If I remember right this was a bookstore, not an actual lighthouse.

Glad you like it.

halthepainter
02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Hi Patti Lou, looks to be a fun challenge. I look forward to it.

There are many decorative "Lighthouses" along the north east coast.

Charlie's Mum
02-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Oooh - very pretty - and not a rock in sight!

Thanks for stepping in for me Patti - and I think I'll enjoy painting from the refs :D

PattiLou
02-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Welcome aboard Hal.:wave:

Maureen, just for you I made sure there were no rocks.:D I have plenty of pictures that do have rocks though, if you feel like painting one.:evil:

skappy
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Great pict Patti it reminds me of Massa hope to join
Robert

Mustbenuts
02-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Wow! I'll have to see if I can think of a way to approach this. It looks really complex and difficult for a beginner. The colors are wonderful, Patti.

Charlie's Mum
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Andrea - don't forget, you can home in on a small section if the whole is overwhelming :lol: ........

...... might be interesting to do a 'Where is this from...?' piece! :lol:

PattiLou
02-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Hope you can join us Robert.:wave:

Andrea it's just little patches of color. You will do fine... it's all for fun and learning. I'm still learning after many years of practicing.:D

Kathrin G.
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Got to get a commission finished by the 11th, but hoping to join in after that :crossfingers:
Fabulous photo and thanks for hosting :wave:

DeeCee
02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
This will be the first challenge I participate in, wonderful!! This will be fun!!

bluemoonstar
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Nice photos! I have a brother in Maine, I recall seeing these up there, too. I'll give it a whirl- great challenge!
~Pat

JFountain
02-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Arcadia national park brings back good memories the thunder hole and the view from cadillac mountain is amazing Patti thanks again for the wonderful pic Jay

Charlie's Mum
02-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Pat -give it a whirlNow there's a thought - once did this with a dahlia painting - fun ;) It's good to play with images:D

PattiLou
02-02-2012, 09:18 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Yea, more people... lots to look forward to.

Hope to see you Kathrin... I know your commission will be perfect... they always are.:thumbsup:

Glad you are joining us Dee, can't wait to see what you do... and don't forget to join in the conversation, it's part of the fun.:D

Do give it a whirl Pat... stir those colors, twist and turn!:lol:

Maureen you always come up with some wonderful colors. When you use acrylic ink do you use watercolor paper of matboard or something else? Can you use it on canvas?

Jay, we enjoyed our visit to Maine, some pretty scenery. The bad thing was the traffic and the toll roads getting there. We don't care for all the traffic when we are in a motorhome... guess that's why we go west a lot.:o

purplefire1
02-03-2012, 01:00 AM
Wow these are tough not sure I'm up to trying these but we will see if I can I might give it a try.

PattiLou
02-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Wow these are tough not sure I'm up to trying these but we will see if I can I might give it a try.
Hi Purple... you don't have to paint the whole picture, you can pick a small crop and paint it... you can even pick one float to paint if you want. Hope you give it a try.:wave:

Charlie's Mum
02-03-2012, 09:19 AM
When you use acrylic ink do you use watercolor paper of matboard or something else? Can you use it on canvas?

Pati, I use w/c paper - Hahnnemule (Sp?) Brittania is my favourite - it's a fairly 'hard' paper, not too much texture and can stand wetting quite a lot.
Because of the amount of water I often use, a heavier paper is better - from 140lbs up.

I've used matboard but it's very absorbent and when I tried gessoing first, it took ages for the inks to dry - but can get some nice effects like that:D
I've tried on canvas but don't find it as successful as paper.
On canvas though, it's good for covering an area quickly!
I also use a lot of w/c techniques - like salt and clingfilm (foodwrap).

Purple1 - don't be larmed by the complexity of the images - open it on screen and zoom in to a much smaller area looking huge - that'll take away the fear:D

PattiLou
02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Thank you Maureen, I bought myself a set of inks for Christmas. Have not used them yet and probably won't on this... need to play first.:lol:

OMG I didn't realize their was so many perspective lines in this picture.:eek:

Charlie's Mum
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Lol Patti - the playing part is fun ........... and I need to play too, I want to get back to some delicacy:lol:

Worked out my comp for this and printed it ready - now to choose the size:D

Of course, you could ignore the perspective and do it flat :D

AllisonR
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Never tried one of these, but I need something to practice new techniques. So looks like I am game.

PattiLou
02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey, glad to have you join us Allison. Looking forward to hearing about your new techniques and seeing the result.

Charlie's Mum
02-06-2012, 01:19 PM
*Gasp* - I'm finished!
Must be some kind of record!:lol:

PattiLou
02-06-2012, 02:18 PM
*Gasp* - I'm finished!
Must be some kind of record!:lol:
Clearly not allowed.... you have to do another.:D :lol:

PattiLou
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
How is everyone doing? I'm thinking I need to rethink what I sketched and start over.:o :lol: It's my right.... I'm female.:D

Ferlian
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Patty, the picture you chose looks great! Im so tempted thought Im not sure Ill be able to find the time.

Allison, Im always fascinated by the different methods people employ - even when they use one and the same, the results show up so different. Exciting :clap:

Ferlian

PattiLou
02-10-2012, 09:31 AM
I agree Ferlian, the results are amazingly different and interesting. They can provide inspiration and new ideas.

I hope you do find time to join us.:wave: I like your avatar.:thumbsup:

JFountain
02-10-2012, 03:57 PM
This one is definitely challenging Patti I will come up with something though

PattiLou
02-11-2012, 08:27 AM
This one is definitely challenging Patti I will come up with something though
Great to have you aboard and look forward to seeing what you "come up with". Now, I need to come up with something.... quick.:lol:

PattiLou
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Starting to count down the days 'til reveal date.:lol:

:heart: Happy Valentines Day:heart: to all... keep those brushes moving.

JFountain
02-15-2012, 06:39 AM
OMG!!!! I haven't even started yet

PattiLou
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
I finally started... but not what I originally had planned. It's taking a few twists and turns of it's own.:D I still have the original drawing that I plan on doing sometime... just don't know when. Having fun playing with something different.:lol:

AllisonR
02-17-2012, 02:39 PM
OMG. DONE. Done. Done. Beyond done.
It isn't actually DONE to my criteria, but I accept it now, as is. I can not look at it anymore. You know, sometimes you look so much and you can not actually see what you are painting anymore? All those boat thingies (what are they called), all their shadows on all those shingles - what a p.i.t.a. But I learned a ton, mostly about how to NOT glaze. So it was worth it.

PattiLou
02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
:thumbsup: :clap: Good for you Allison. :clap: :thumbsup: I'm sure it is fine and we will all love it.

I'm almost afraid to post, since some posts have gone missing... gremlins again.

purplefire1
02-18-2012, 11:56 PM
I started something hopefully it will work out and I can post. We'll see.

PattiLou
02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Feb-2012/125378-117343-artist_painting.gif

bluemoonstar
02-19-2012, 03:39 PM
As it turns out, I didn't have time this month, but I am anxiously awaiting the reveal to see the wonderful paintings you all did!

Charlie's Mum
02-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I was hoping someone from further East would post by now so I could post before beddy-byes:(

Ah well, guess Allison and I will have to wait until tomorrow after all:lol:

Looking forward eagerly to ............. tomorrow ............. :D

PattiLou
02-19-2012, 11:21 PM
As it turns out, I didn't have time this month, but I am anxiously awaiting the reveal to see the wonderful paintings you all did!
I'm waiting also.:lol: You still have until the end of the month... plenty of time *she says with tongue in cheek*. :D

I have another meeting tomorrow and after that I can paint.

skappy
02-20-2012, 05:33 AM
Here I am Thanks Pat for the picture
Ikes I'm the first I'm blushing it is size 24 X 34 cm on Schoellershammer linen paper, the buiding is a bit wonky but idid a wick sketch and painted over so the base was'nt accurate the result is not but I like it this way I ve tried to do like a plein air painting

Robert:cat: :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/[email protected]

AllisonR
02-20-2012, 05:37 AM
Well, it's 10:30am my time, so here goes.

I am not impressed with the results. Colors are way too intense. Sky is too saturated and dark, and my "fake" clouds on top left to cover my blending mistakes look wrong. The house is red and not neutral. The lobster thingys highlights' do not pop out enough and they are too saturated and new looking, when they should be worn and sun-bleached. My bushes and trees are the wrong hues and have no oomph I could go on and on.

However, I am satisfied, because I learned tremendously. In fact I learned so very much, about grisaille and glazing, that I had to make a list to keep track of everything I learned! So, I am so GLAD I did this. :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/133314-1st_grisaille_and_glaze_Lobsterman_WC.jpg

skappy
02-20-2012, 05:43 AM
Allison we almost posted at the same time You did very well your drawing is very good the work on the floats and the wood shingle on the wall is gorgeous:clap:

Sorry for posting just before hope I'm still a gentleman:angel:
Robert:cat:

Charlie's Mum
02-20-2012, 06:33 AM
You're always a gentleman Robert! - and especially for breaking the ice by posting first!:)

I like your painting - the cool light is really lovely.

Allison - stop beating yourself up - this is a really nice painting - and I like the intense colour!

Here's mine - I cropped it, played around with saturation, posterisation and other things to get something a wee bit different.
It's about A$ size - approx 11" high I thnk, on a piece of mountboard - mat board.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/30494-Feb_12_Lobster_floats-,_Patt_wc_size.jpg

Thanks for the challenge Patti - I don't think I'd have painted this otherwise and I did enjoy it .......... and not a rock in sight!:lol:

PattiLou
02-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Robert that is wonderful and of course you are a gentleman. That is about the same crop that I drew out and abandoned which I plan on doing when I have plenty of time and no meetings.:o :lol: The texture on your shingle siding is great, looks perfect to me.

Allison I think you are being a little hard on yourself... I know, we all tend to do that. Your painting looks like a bright day full of sunshine and your texture on the shingle siding is also great.

You both did a good job of keeping the weathered look of the building.:thumbsup:

Nice crop Maureen and the floats look like they probably are in real life if you are close to them... paint worn, faded and cracked. I like it! Sorry you had such a bad month with your computer woes and the loss of your furry friend.:heart: I hope March will be better for you.

I will be back later to check on ya'll, but right now I have to get ready for a meeting. cya

old_hobbyist
02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
ITSO Monet
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/214919-itso_monet_12_x_16.jpg

JFountain
02-20-2012, 03:32 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/775222-jays_painting.jpeg This is my rendition my computer broke yesterday but my friend was nice enough to let me use his will comment on everyone's in the near future.

purplefire1
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Robert I love it great work.

purplefire1
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/985791-IMG_7095_2.jpg

I took a little different view.

Sorry for the extra post.

Allison - I love the bright colors. Great job.
Maureen - I like the way you did it great job
Old Hobbiest - Great job I love it
JFountain - I like it and the sky is gorgeous. great job.

AllisonR
02-20-2012, 06:37 PM
So fun to see what everyone did. Robert, I like all your artistic licenses - the seagulls and extra clouds really add interest. I really like how you did your bushes and trees. They look so natural, and blend in so seamlessly with the sky and water. I also like your boats.

Maureen - interesting approach. I can see the photoshop work. Fun.
I don't think I would know what they were if they were by themselves.

Old Hobbyist - what great, thick, rich strokes. Can you put up a bigger picture or a zoomed in area? I'd like to see your strokes. Interesting. Looks more Van Gogh-ish to me than Monet though.

JFountain, interesting sky.

Marge Cameron
02-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't have any painting to contribute (new to the forum), but I just wanted to say what a cool idea this is! I'm loving what everyone came up with. Thanks to those who've taken the time to create something. It's interesting to see all the different approaches. Happy eyes! :)

old_hobbyist
02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/214919-monet-abstract_impression-close-up.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/214919-itso_monet_12_x_16-close-up.jpg
Monet

bluemoonstar
02-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Robert, Allison, & Maureen: first ones posting!
3 cheers for you three! wonderful paintings! I really like all of them. Maureen, that's similar crop to what I intended to paint, I like how yours turned out.

Old Hobbyist - nice take on Monet!
JF, beautiful colors in that sky!
Purplefire1, interesting crop - good start. Are you going to develop the painting further? Its a bit hard to tell what's going on right now.

purplefire1
02-21-2012, 03:17 AM
I would love to be able to develop the painting but I am a beginner I've only painted two other pictures. When I tried to develop the painting I ruined it several times so I settled for what I could do I probably shouldn't have even posted it. I almost didn't even try probably shouldn't have too difficult for me.

PattiLou
02-21-2012, 11:09 AM
old_hobbyist -- better than Van Gogh... I really like it. Bold strokes of color!

Jay what a pretty sky and interesting that you flipped it around. I like where you signed your name, looks like part of the painting.

Purple--the only way to learn is to paint more so don't be afraid to experiment and post. We just like to have fun in here and it is so interesting to see what everyone does... at least it is to me.

Hi Marge and welcome to the forum. Maybe you can join the challenge next month??? Although you still have a few days left in this one if you want to contribute. :lol:

Now I have to go see what I can do to salvage the mess I made.:eek: Be back later.

purplefire1
02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm sorry if I came across too touchy :( I had a bad day yesterday (no excuse I know) :o I should have waited to reply so sorry I do appreciate the advice.

PattiLou
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm sorry if I came across too touchy :( I had a bad day yesterday (no excuse I know) :o I should have waited to reply so sorry I do appreciate the advice. I didn't think that at all... sorry you had a bad day though. Here's a hug. :grouphug: I just didn't want you to get discouraged and not join in again.

I finished mine but it is not scanned yet. Darn scanner won't work on my computer and DH said he would take a look at it... but, he was busy. Couldn't get on the internet until now for some reason, neither could hubby. Frustrating when something is wrong with the connection. :(

Tomorrow will be better I'm sure.:D

skappy
02-24-2012, 03:38 AM
Thanks for you comments

Maureen I like you coped version with all the nice colors it looks like the paint is chped from the sea and weather

old Hobbyist Monet or Van gogh [ they both lived in my neighbourhood] but impressionistic for sure

J fountain nice light effect

Purplefire we all did first painting just keep on working it only get better

Robert

chammi kaiser
02-27-2012, 05:09 AM
Some super paintings here. Quite a challenge and you all did so well. I really enjoyed the burst of colours.

PattiLou
02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Hmph... I gave up with the scanner and my computer. Had to use DH's computer, which I don't like 'cause he is so un-organized and I can't find anything.:eek:

So here is my story... I said I was not going to play with the new acrylic inks and then I just couldn't resist. Then I discovered I need to play a lot more... didn't know what I was doing, honest.:o So I painted over it with regular acrylics. The crop is 8.66 x 3.25 in. to fit on a mug at Zazzle and I was trying to do something different. Sounds like a good story to me.:lol:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2012/125378-LobsterFloats-pbh-w.jpg

I collected all the pictures for our scrapbook, 7 including mine. Let me know if someone's has gone missing like some of the posts this month.

Thanks for stopping by Chammi, we like visitors.:D

purplefire1
02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
I love your playing

I have developed mine a bit I wasn't happy with it either but couldn't figure out what to do so I took some creative license I will post later today.

JFountain
02-27-2012, 12:31 PM
I love all the paintings this month have to get a new computer on a friends now so don't have time to comment idividually on everyones work. But I did love each and everyones painting can't wait till the first

PattiLou
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Looking forward to your revised one Purple. Post as many as you want. I will collect it with the rest for the scrapbook.

Hi Jay:wave: Who is doing next month? Wonder what surprise we will have in store? I never thought I would join in these because I am so slow and not as talented as many at WC, but I found that by joining I am painting faster and learning new tricks. Still need to conquer those acrylic inks I bought though.:lol:

Charlie's Mum
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Now that's what I call different Patti!
Love the clean colours and the arrangement - want to see the mug when done! Very nice:D

O_H - don't know the size but I like the textures!

Jermel - very nice building and lovely sky/sea ...... guess you didn't like the lobster floats much? :lol:

Purplefire - I can see where/how you cropped and went for a land/sea scape:) Vivid blue - keep painting and joining us, you'll soon learn - and keep looking for the 'different ' aspect of the ref. too, just as here:D

Patti - thanks for taking this on this month - good, different challenge:thumbsup: :lol:

Dewi is hosting nexxt month:thumbsup:

purplefire1
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Here's my development I tried.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Feb-2012/985791-IMG_7104_2.jpg

chammi kaiser
02-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Patti. Really like yours. Very creative. Like the sort of line and wash effect.
Can see you had fun Purple. Like those puffy clouds. The whole effect is like a fairytale.

Charlie's Mum
02-28-2012, 09:06 AM
Good addition Purple :thumbsup: :)

bluemoonstar
02-28-2012, 11:28 PM
Great pictures!
Maureen, I love that crop- that's what I had sketched out when I planing to do a painting. (Maybe I'll still get to it next month). Your colors are super - love those shingles! Its a very nice painting.

Marilou- what a cute cup that will make! Great idea!

Purple, your efforts are paying off! Nice addition of the lighthouse, and the nicer shape and texture of the land works better, too. :thumbsup: Just stick with it, you learn something new with every painting!

JFountain
02-29-2012, 06:32 AM
Since my computer is down for the count I have to do everything from my phone so please. Bear with me family yes I loved the floats just went for a certain look

PattiLou
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Jay, sorry your computer is down. I hate when that happens.:(

Be back in a couple minutes or so with the scrapbook page.

PattiLou
02-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Ok, think I have all of them.... let me know if I missed one.

Aren't we a colorful bunch? Good job everyone.:thumbsup:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Feb-2012/125378-Feb2012_DS.jpg

Can't believe another month has gone by already, but it does help make time go by faster when you visit such nice friends everyday.:wave: :heart:

LavenderFrost
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Nice job everyone!

Charlie's Mum
02-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Smart gallery Patti :thumbsup: - thanks for this and for hosting :)

skappy
02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for hosting and Gallery Patti I did nt comment on yours but it is nice they seem to be Happy laundry on a line
Bravo everyone
Robert

Charlie's Mum
02-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Lovely description Robert - 'Happy laundry ...' :lol:

Dewi
02-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Lovely work everyone, like yours too Maureen, Patti and thank you for the gallery.

Hope to see you all again :wave:

PattiLou
03-01-2012, 07:05 AM
I like that "Happy Laundry".

Hi Michelle and Dewi. :wave: