PDA

View Full Version : Lids

cosmek1
01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
I am curious to know if any other painters have this problem.

I have used Liquitex acrylic paints for a very long time. I have also used M. Graham acrylics. I find that when I use Graham acrylics the lids will invariably dry rock solid to the tube, and I have to use pliers to TRY to get the lids off, sometimes successfully, sometimes not. For me it's a constant battle with Graham lids. Using the pliers, the tubes become wrinkled and sometimes a hole in the tube will develop. Recently when trying to remove one of the lids, the paint spewed all over the room.

Frankly, I don't know why I have continued to battle with the Graham lids. I'm at the point of NEVER buying another tube of Graham acrylic paints.

I have used Liquitex acrylics for years and never experienced a problem with lids sticking to the tubes or requiring pliers to remove them.

Just curious to see if anyone else has had similar experiences with Graham acrylics.

Thanks!

Mel

George Servais
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I have had that problem with other brands,especially brands with metal tubes. A bit of a pain but wipe the threads before you replace the lids and use a bit of Vaseline (a tiny bit) on the threads.

cosmek1
01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
Ok, so it's not just me that finds the lids to be last century technology. Surprised they don't come with a warning label: Necessary pliars and Vaseline not included. Thanks, George, for the tip about Vaseline, but for me the Graham paints are not worth the bother. Liquitex and probably others make lids that come off easily and don't get stuck solid. I'll stick with them from now on. :-)

Mel

FoxEnova
01-30-2012, 11:22 PM
try a little PAM, Vicks or babyoil in the treads before closing

querin
01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
I use white plumbers tape it's very thin and wined it around a few times I do it with oils also.It works.
querin

Lady Carol
01-31-2012, 11:28 PM
I have my set of paint pliers and woe be told any one who touches them other than me :D

cosmek1
01-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Just sayin'....I emailed Graham to mention my peeve about the stuck rock solid caps, and Ms. Graham replied that she had only heard of such a complaint one other time in the last 20 years! Seems there are artists like you guys who know the work-around for what I call last century technology. I'm just irritated I guess and tired of using pliers when all I have to do is buy a different brand of paint (Liquitex) and put the pliers, Pam, Vaseline, tape, and whatever away...where they belong. Thanks for all the tips. You guys rock!

Mel