PDA

View Full Version : Unison?


kitaye
04-03-2003, 11:59 PM
While I was browsing in my local art store the owner showed me a set of Unison Soft Chalk Pastels. They come in sets of Dark, light, Reds, Greens, and Landscape. I also saw a Starter set of 36 colours.

The colour was thick and rich and just so smooth, but I wanted to know if any of you had used them and what you thought of them.

ptantono
04-04-2003, 01:28 AM
Hi Kitaye,

According to the test of Virgil Elliot, Unison is the best as the colors would stay longer or wont fade comparing to others.
Please check this thread " What pastel brand to you favour?"
here is the link : http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=977512#post977512


How much is the price sold in your local art store ? I would purchase if it is available in my art store.

Best regards,
Patricia

jackiesimmonds
04-04-2003, 01:54 AM
I use them all the time, they are my second favourites after Schminke. They are WONDERFUL pastels, excellent quality, great colours. Cannot go wrong.

kitaye
04-04-2003, 09:19 AM
I'll read the article this evening but the price was $219.00 for the starter set.

Originally posted by ptantono

How much is the price sold in your local art store ? I would purchase if it is available in my art store.
Best regards,
Patricia

Redsy333
04-04-2003, 09:59 AM
This link should lead you to some great prices on Unisons!
Jerrys Artarama (http://www.jerrysartarama.com/shop/Catalog.asp?Parent_ID=536)
I love them, they are one of my faves too!:) I purchased my set for a veryyyy good rate from ebay! A set of 72 for 100$ less then sale prices! If I can find the guy (who sells many sets) I will send ya the info! My set came in perfect condition:D Love em

kitaye
04-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Thanks Redsy. I checked out the prices and got all excited until I added customs, shipping, GST, and Visa conversion charges. Based on those calculations my art store isn't selling them any more expensive than Jerry's is. It's nice to have a base to work from though.

Redsy333
04-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Aw sorry to hear that Kitaye! I had hoped that Canadian wouldnt change much!
Maybe if you sent another form of payment like money order??? Not to sure on all that, but sorry never the less!

kitaye
04-04-2003, 10:07 PM
Well Cdn is equal to about 1.67 US, customs charges for anything art related is about 20% of the value, GST is 7%, shipping is $11.00, and the post office charges $5.00 for money orders. Visa charges 1% of total purchase. It was a great thought though.

Shari
04-05-2003, 04:14 AM
I love the Unisons. You should check out alliedartstore.com as I think they are $2.25 in U.S. currency there which is about half of anywhere else. Also, they are always on ebay for a very low price. I bought a set from ebay for about half. Unisons are my favorites after Schmincke, and I also love the Great Americans.

Shari

ptantono
04-05-2003, 06:17 AM
Well, good quality, good price. :) I would keep Unison for serious work and use others for practicing. I would also combine with other brands. Based on the test of Elliot if I am not wrong, Rembrant earth colors could pass the test. Good Luck Kitaye !

Bobbie
04-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Unisons are my favorite too. Have you tried www.jackonartsupply.com? Take a look at their site.

Inkling
04-05-2003, 08:44 PM
I use Unisons alot of the time. They are so smooth. I especially like their light set and Dark set I.

kitaye
04-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the information and thoughts on Unison. I have officially asked for a starter set and it has officially been deferred until Christmas at least :D Hubby says my art has already cost to much this year. He bid on some stuff for me from Ebay but we only won the Chinese Watercolour set. Oh well. I'll be keeping my eyes open.

jackiesimmonds
04-06-2003, 06:33 AM
OD GRIEF! OUCH!! Are you sure you got that right? $219 for 36 Unisons is a very high price indeed - from Jacksons in the UK, they only cost 42 - which is about $96 Canadian for a starter set of 36. !!!!!

Why not enquire how much it would cost to have them sent over frm England, which is where they are made. Someone wrote to me recently (sorry, I deleted the pm, think it might have been Bobbie ?my memory is awful for these nicknames) and said that even with postage and duty, they still found it cheaper to buy from the UK.

Incidentally......................
re your husband's comment .... How can anyone put a price on something which feeds your heart and soul? Learning to paint isn't like buying a car, or a sofa, or spending money on clothes. Unless you are on a very tight budget, I suppose, and finding it hard to make ends meet. Sorry, but that kind of comment really upsets me.

Maybe you could cut down in other areas - as I said, less clothes for instance - rather than deprive yourself of anything to do with your art.

Having said all of that, ( which was probably well out of order, I know, but it pushed my buttons .)........I do recognise there is such a thing as going berserk buying up materials left, right and centre - so take a long hard look at what you have, make sure it is enough to serve your purposes, and perhaps you can manage without more stuff. I have worked at art materials exhibitions, and I see how people buy up stuff.....as if having just the right paper, or right colour, will change their lives. And then, I went away once with a group of artists, and the most professional of them all had a tiny kit, just a small watercolour box and a sketch book and a little pot of white gouache, and he filled the sketchbook with the most fabulous paintings. Big lesson for me there, as I am often like a kid let loose when I go to the art store!

Why not try to sell some of your art,( lots of people do via Ebay), to pay for your materials yourself?

Jackie

Bobbie
04-06-2003, 02:12 PM
I did just yesterday check on a 72 pc. set from Jacksons. The 72 pc. set would be about $105 US + $30 shipping. In addition their service is truly superior to any other mail order company I've ever used. They are really terrific - but then I would expect that from the U.K! I don't think you can beat that price! I did check Allied Art & they do not carry Unsion pastels.
Jackie, your idea of selling on E-bay is SUPER. What are requirements to become a Seller? Thank you for all your wonderful, heartfelt comments, lessons & expertise

kitaye
04-06-2003, 03:53 PM
LOL I tend to be one of the ones that goes a little berserk about art supplies. I have several mediums I work with and we just added pastels. Less than 2 weeks ago Hubby spent a huge sum of money buying me different kinds of pastels. We found out about the Unisons after the fact.

Hubby is VERY GOOD and supportive of my habit but since we are tying to save up for a house we have to cut spending. The only thing we spend on is art supplies.

No, I'm not offended by your comment. I've known to many people who have had to place art in the lowest priorty in their life because of mates, parents, or siblings opinions on art in general. It pushes my buttons too, especially when the person is a great artist and could easily make money at their art if they got even a smidgen of support from family. I am very, very lucky to have my hubby.

LOL I'm not a clothes horse and only buy new clothes when my old ones become indecent to wear into public. All of our furniture is used from the thrift store or were gifts 6 years ago. I have 2 pair of shoes: 1 I bought 4 years ago and the other a pair of work boots required for work. Sometimes I think I should spend more on clothing an less on art supplies :D

Hubby is looking into selling his photographs and some of my artwork as well.

$219.00 Cdn - $20.00 Cdn customs - $11.00 Cdn Shipping = $112.00 US

I haven't priced shipping and customs from the UK yet.

Originally posted by jackiesimmonds

Incidentally......................
re your husband's comment .... How can anyone put a price on something which feeds your heart and soul? Learning to paint isn't like buying a car, or a sofa, or spending money on clothes. Unless you are on a very tight budget, I suppose, and finding it hard to make ends meet. Sorry, but that kind of comment really upsets me.

Maybe you could cut down in other areas - as I said, less clothes for instance - rather than deprive yourself of anything to do with your art.

Having said all of that, ( which was probably well out of order, I know, but it pushed my buttons .)........I do recognise there is such a thing as going berserk buying up materials left, right and centre - so take a long hard look at what you have, make sure it is enough to serve your purposes, and perhaps you can manage without more stuff. I have worked at art materials exhibitions, and I see how people buy up stuff.....as if having just the right paper, or right colour, will change their lives. And then, I went away once with a group of artists, and the most professional of them all had a tiny kit, just a small watercolour box and a sketch book and a little pot of white gouache, and he filled the sketchbook with the most fabulous paintings. Big lesson for me there, as I am often like a kid let loose when I go to the art store!

Why not try to sell some of your art,( lots of people do via Ebay), to pay for your materials yourself?

Jackie

kitaye
04-06-2003, 04:01 PM
Bobbie, I can't get this link to work. What's the name of the place your trying to link me to?

I've tried jacksonsartsupply and jacksonartsupply

Originally posted by Bobbie
Unisons are my favorite too. Have you tried www.jackonartsupply.com? Take a look at their site.

sundiver
04-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Just a note about E-Bay. It was on the news the other night that there is a "Boycott Canada" movement and that a lot of Americans will neither buy from nor sell to Canadians these days.
But there might be something on E-Bay Canada.

sailmary
04-06-2003, 07:29 PM
kitaye, try : www.jacksonsart.com

kitaye
04-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks Sailmary. They do have cheap prices.

Sundiver- I've seen and heard about this Anti Candian sentiment for several months now. It isn't just Ebay. There are several US internet companies who are refusing Canadian orders and there have been threats towards Canadian shoppers at border towns.

When I run into it I simply remove that retailer from my contact list and find someone else to buy my items from. It's frustrating and annoying but what can you do. They don't want my business then I will keep it home.

jackiesimmonds
04-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Most amused by your reply to my post. Sorry to imply that you were an art materials junkie! It is good to have a wonderfully supportive hubby - mine is, too.

Bobbie - I sent this to you as a pm in case you didn't get back here:

For info about selling on ebay you cannot dobetter than look at the WC forum called Internet Sales Strategies. Go to Communities/Message Forums/Internet Sales Strategies. Any questions you have will be cheerfully answered by the helpful folks there. I think, when I was trying out selling some videos on ebay, that I was able to print off some helpful instructions from one of the sticky's.

Jackie

kitaye
04-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
Most amused by your reply to my post. Sorry to imply that you were an art materials junkie! It is good to have a wonderfully supportive hubby - mine is, too.
Jackie

Don't be sorry. You pretty much nailed the monkey on the head. I am a total art supply junkie. It takes great willpower on my part not to visit the art store every week. :D

jackiesimmonds
04-08-2003, 03:50 AM
;) Well, it takes one to know one.