PDA

View Full Version : advice for the new guy

fortytwodollars
04-03-2003, 08:02 PM
hello-

im new here. this is my first post. i would like some suggestions on my new piece. it is an editorial illustration for a poem by a friend of mine. this is just a rough test and i found that im having some difficulty rendering the water/steam/glass combination in watercolor. if anybody has some suggestions for what i can do when i start the final piece, please post. all critiques welcome. thanks.

fortytwodollars

al22
04-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Probably needs reflections......... there are many here who do glass very well.......I'm sure they will bounce in with words of wisdom.....
And Welcome to WC....this is a nice piece........
......al

Little Old Lady
04-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Welcome. It looks good to me. I'm sure the more experienced can give you some good advice.
JoAnn

Uschi
04-03-2003, 09:16 PM
Ohhh, I love it!!!!! Needs the edge on top of the glass door painted in. No help from here re water and glass - and Welcome!!!!
Uschi

Starsprite
04-03-2003, 09:20 PM
Welcome fortytwodollars!! I'm sure there is a story to your name.:) I am not a glass expert either...sorry, but there really are some here who are. LOL. I do like the umbrella and the guy's raincoat...I think you did fantastically on those! So, he's going into the shower with a raincoat and umbrella eh? I'm sure it goes well with the poem.

mpopinz
04-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Welcome...

This is a very nice piece.

madmum
04-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Hi, welcome to WC!

I have never painted much glass, but what I think you need to do is reflect the man in the glass in areas, have some areas steamed up, and also some areas with drops of water, all of which sound very difficult to me.

I think to suggest steam you need to apply the local colour, then lift it unevenly. There is a great tutorial for doing raindrops, have a search through the sticky thread at the top of this forum "useful threads and links".

Not sure I was much help, good luck!

Ruth

painterbear
04-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Hi $42,

This is a clever painting and you've got a terrific start. It looks pretty steamy inside the shower to me and the glass door is looking good too. I think you need to show the top of it more, like you did the side where the man's hand is, and perhaps show the back edge a little more than you have now, not as sharply as the front, just a little more than is there presently.

Ruth's idea of a few waterdrops on the glass panel is a good one too.

Other than that, I think you've got a great picture going.

Oh, welcome to the Watercolor Forum, I think you'll find it a fun place to be.

fortytwodollars
04-04-2003, 12:59 PM
thanks guys.

so far your input has been great. anything else you see that needs addressing? how about the water coming out of the showerhead? any ideas on how to approach that?

fortytwodollars

indigobluetwo
04-04-2003, 01:26 PM
I saw in a watercolor painting in a magazine, where a forcefull stream of spray was rendered with scraping the paper with sand paper. But you will have to do it on a test sheet and see if you can regain the white paper back from the colors you have used. Also whether it will work together with the process you have chosen to render the mist.

Kristy

Joni St. Martin
04-04-2003, 01:27 PM
Welcome to WC, $42!

Your painting is fantastic. You have received some good advice. As far as the water coming from the shower head -- I would lift some color off, nearest the shower head, kind of leaving some soft edges. Maybe scratch a few bits of white to suggest a few tiny streams of water coming from the shower head, but mostly suggestive. Please repost the final painting. This is really nice.

Regards,

Joni

indigobluetwo
04-04-2003, 01:32 PM
And welcome.

wilkinsonart
04-05-2003, 08:46 AM
Sorry nothing negative to say - great job. To enhance further you may want to include a few water droplets. Welcome to WC hope to see more of your work.

Crystal Owl
04-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Hi 42D,

This is a really cool piece, agree about painting in the top of glass door and maybe a faint line to the left where the door would close to show that's a glass wall too. That's about it. Wecome to WC you'll love it here :).

Irene

lyn lynch
04-05-2003, 11:31 AM
Well, perhaps it is a language thing, but I would hardly call this "illustration" in any form. This is a remarkable work. Welcome to this forum. It is a great learning place and nice people. Please cruise by the Daily Wash when you have time...it is where we post personal stuff and get to know one another better, which helps in critiquing work.

As I see it, only the illusion of water is missing, as you have said. Certainly we know what is portrayed because you figure is so outstanding. The sharp blue of the shower door is mistifying to me because it is too detailed, rather like an over-compensation for what else is missing.

You have some good suggestions for the shower head spray, and it might help further to show the water bouncing onto the raincoat. It appears that the shower head should be much higher though, otherwise why the umbrella? Perhaps this is where the illustrative part comes in.

Also, the wall outside the shower reads as inside the shower, but perhaps this is also the illustrative part and we are trying to make the work into more of a realistic journey than you intended.

Our resident glass expert screen name is "Mustcreate", so if you do a search on her screenname of click on her profile you can pull up all her threads. Em has done WIP [Work in Progress] on glass and reflections, and you will get much help from them.

But, it is really a good work and I am happy camper to find a new figure painter here.

Rose Queen
04-05-2003, 11:49 AM
This is a really charming piece, $42! Welcome to WetCanvas and do post more when you can!

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

100% free webcam site! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=0) | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=2) | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3 (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=4)

fortytwodollars
04-06-2003, 11:17 PM
well thank you for your advice everyone. i really appreciate your time. it looks as though i have plenty to think about now. ill be sure to post the final piece as soon as i'm done.

$42

rapolina
04-07-2003, 04:44 AM
beautiful!! :clap:
rapolina.