PDA

View Full Version : Watercolor Societies

laniers
04-03-2003, 03:54 PM
I was wondering how many here are involved with watercolor groups (besides wetcanvas) and do you find them beneficial?

mpopinz
04-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Hi Norm,

Currently, I am not a member, but would like to be. I would love the opportunity to interact with artists and believe the sharing of ideas between those of same interests could only help to improve ones self.

Of course there is that nasty little item called time. That seems to always get in my way. :-)

karenjh
04-03-2003, 04:03 PM
I haven't joined one yet, but have been considering joining Midwest Watercolor Society. I went to their annual show last year and it was awesome!

pampe
04-03-2003, 04:09 PM
Montana W.S

Not immensely helpful, but they are having a show at the local museum this Spring and I have 1 piece in it.

Also have one HUGE juried show in the Fall....with a workshop at the beginning by whomever is the judge that year.

Several WC! artists have entered in the Fall show.

I think belonging is like belonging to my Nursing Organiation, can't be bad.

The watercolor society in Houston is pretty active, Norm and their place on ALabama has wondeful shows and classes....or at least it used to...

mustcreate
04-03-2003, 04:16 PM
my vote is no....because I have been to lazy to attend a meeting :p

em

laniers
04-03-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by pampe
The watercolor society in Houston is pretty active, Norm and their place on ALabama has wondeful shows and classes....or at least it used to...

Yes as a matter of fact they have a HUGE show coming to Houston with several exhibtions, a trade show and demonstrations http://www.watermedia2003.org/ I will probably join then.

Alan Cross
04-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Hi Norm I belong to the Federation of Canadian Artists and I think its good you get to enter juried shows and stuff like that its always nice to belong to a group of like minded people.
Alan :)

pampe
04-03-2003, 04:28 PM
great resource

If you get to the workshops...try to do Jean Grasdorf or Judy Morris...great teachers!

GAWD..the TRADE EXPO alone makes me drool

Isn't life funny, when I lived there, I hardly was beginning to paint....

painterbear
04-03-2003, 04:31 PM
I don't belong to one yet, but I am seriously considering joining the one in Dayton. I need to find out how to go about it and what the requirements are. I think it would be beneficial just for information and exposure. I have no where to show my paintings except here on WC which is very satisfying, but I'm beginning to want to do something locally too.

Yorky
04-03-2003, 04:54 PM
I belong to the Ormskirk Artists. The members use all types of media, and meet monthly during the Autumn, Winter and Spring for talks and demos by visiting artists. We have a selection of videos and books (mainly watercolour) for hire at a nominal charge.

In the summer we meet up every Wednesday afternoon for plein air painting in members gardens and local beauty spots. It's great fun!

Doug

jti
04-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Had to vote no but wanna vote yes. My goal is to be a signature member of NSW or AWS within 2-3 years. Overseas now, but will send in pieces/slide for next years show. I'll probably need WCers help to choose best piece to send. jti

Islandpal
04-03-2003, 06:59 PM
I belong to several art groups and find the interaction with others who have the same interest very valuable.

I also paint with a group each Tuesday and I think we have all grown and developed a better technique with the help we give each other.

Jprice022
04-03-2003, 07:24 PM
I just had another failed attempt to vote in a poll. My vote is no, Norm.

I have nothing against them and may join a local group in the east St. Louis metro area this year.

al22
04-03-2003, 07:40 PM
Yes I belong to Arizona Watercolor Association (http://www.watercolor.org/) and have for 34 years and yes, I've found it to be beneficial.
.....al

Little Old Lady
04-03-2003, 08:03 PM
I belong to the Door County Art League. We have several shows an opportunities to show your work. Meetings in the summer and demos,
The local non profit gallery has juried shows. First time I entered last year I didn't get my watercolor in but did get a wood carving accepted.
JoAnn

Aselka
04-03-2003, 10:55 PM
I belong to two art groups. One of them is purely watercolor group (Blackburn Hamplet) and another large mixed group of artists with its own gallery, shows, newsletter (ArtEast). I find both groups are very helpful. Small group provides me with support, help with my art, framing tips (from prices, to matt cutting workshops). We also have our shows in local library.
Large group is immensly helpful not only for exposing art but with all kinds of information as acrylic, watercolor, craft workshops, update info about art fairs, exhibitions, lectures by well-known artists, critics and photographers such as : Slide making, marketing, etc. Lately I became a Special events coordinator in large group and really happy about it.

Aselka

Rod
04-04-2003, 01:55 AM
I'm a member of the Rangiora Art Society and the Town and Country Art Society.

Being a member gives me the opportunity of entering 6 exhibitions each year .
Also we have organised yuesday and saturday painting days all year round. Summer plein airing and through the winter we hire a local hall.
Tutors are organised and subsidised during the year.

Its great , mixing with other artists is very inspiring,

Rod.

KansasLady
04-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Does an Individual Project art class count? ;) About 4 people in the group are watercolorists and the instructor is President of the Kansas Watercolor Society (not sure of the name).

No, I don't belong to any watercolor groups other than that....and WC.

mchew
04-04-2003, 10:18 AM
I voted NO but I would like to join the Singapore Watercolour Society, of which my teacher is one of the founding member, although he has since withdrawn from the committee, but remain an ordinary member.

One of his more senior student who sometimes join us on the Saturday class is one of the committee member... so, may be I'll approach her.

Here's the website.... some fabulous works in there and there are links to some of the artists' website.... you may want to check out the following artists. Hope you enjoy their works as much as I do.

Loy Chye Chuan (my teacher)
Ong Kim Seng, AWS
Seah Kam Chuan
Chew Piak San (no relation to Marvin Chew, lol)
Lok Kerk Huang
Tia Kee Woon, Jack

I don't know them personally except my teacher.

Lady Carol
04-04-2003, 10:21 AM
I voted no. However, I would like to join one as I think it would be beneficial. I just don't know where to find the info for a local society

coffee_girl3000
04-04-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Lady Carol
I voted no. However, I would like to join one as I think it would be beneficial. I just don't know where to find the info for a local society

Same here! I really would like to go to one. I suppose next year when I do A Level Art I will be in contact with other artists, although I don't think they will be watercolourists :(.

AndreaPaints
04-04-2003, 11:00 AM
In February I joined the Charleston Artist Guild. They meet monthly, and the meetings are very informative. Last time, there was a demonstration and slide show by a local artist who also had an article in Watercolor Magic magazine last spring.
The Guild also features their Signature Juried Exhibition. My watercolor "Magnolia Plantation Lagoon" was one of those selected, and I was just thrilled. The 2-week exhibit runs through this Sunday. There was also a reception for artists and friends last Friday evening. I'm not a "joiner" but this guild has already given me some exposure to the local art scene, and a chance to show my work. It is a good thing for me, as I want to be a full-time artist when I retire in 2005.

Faafil
04-04-2003, 11:03 AM
I belong to the National Watercolor Society (just sent my dues for my 2nd year) but haven't attended a meeting yet. I intend to remedy that this year ! Also, joined the San Diego WC Society and the Orange County Fine Arts Society just last week. I volunteered for several committees on both - so it will be interesting to see what happens - and, I'm looking forward to meeting other artists in the groups. I think it will also help me in making more time for my art! :D

Carrie
04-04-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm in Oregon Society of Artists/ around a thousand menbers
and NW artists support group/ around 40 members

Each group as a monthly critique meeting as well as guest speakers. I get a lot of vluable info as well as opportunity to show in various locations. Feedback from your peers who will give you an honest assesment of your work is pretty much invaluable if you are going to mature as an artist. Just my humble opinion.

Carrie

laniers
04-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Some great feed back to this questions. I was currious because I seldom see anyone mention it here.

R1achel
04-05-2003, 09:51 AM
I belong to SC Watercolor Society - I enjoy being a part of it, even though I don't participate much. I did enter one of their shows, but I didn't get juried in. Just gotta keep trying!!!
Rachel

laudesan
10-30-2006, 08:39 PM
IO think it is good to bring this thread back up.

Reminds us about watercolour Societies and painting groups and the need to belong to one or two.

It is like going to Church you know support in numbers.. :)

JJ

juneto
10-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Always ,
I belonged to the New Canaan , Darien ,Greenwich, Westport and Stamford Art Societies here . here you just pay a Fee to belong .
You get to know people , you learn things and make contacts .You show your work and make sales , Classes and workshops are held . You are also supporting what you do.
Galleries and Agents attend and contact you and you get to know artists from surrounding towns.
Invaluable.
I always enjoyed it when I belonged to them and made many valuable contacts through the years .
June

artdreamer1
10-31-2006, 12:48 AM
I belong to the Central Massachusetts Chapter of the Women's Caucus for Art and the North East Watercolor Society. Considering other (local/national) groups also...

I get quite a few opportunities to show my work through the Women's Caucus for Art (based in New York if I remember correctly)...all are juried; so far (can't believe it's almost 3 yrs. already), I've only been rejected from one! My next show with them will be my first opportunity to be interviewed on a local cable tv show about my art---EEK!

With the North East Watercolor Society, there are members' shows (which are alsol juried) and then there is the big International show(currently running from Oct. 2 to Nov. 5, 2006). It's my second yr. in a row; if I get in next yr., I'll (hopefully) be given "signature status".

I've also been juried into our local museums' annual exhibition twice in a row--71st year this past summer. You don't have to join the Museum to enter tho...

It's really been exciting for me to see what others(society members)--besides family/friends--think of my artwork. This place has really been the best tho...it's so incredible the amount of information/support you get here--I tell everyone about it.

Michele

RonRegan
10-31-2006, 12:51 AM
I'm with the "would like to join or will be joining". I was painting alone in my room and joined the Beach Art Center this past summer. I'm looking around for a local water color group....

hazegry
10-31-2006, 12:58 AM
I am trying to find one in Virgina beach Va