PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Juried Art Shows

laneart
01-28-2012, 10:35 PM
I have been submitting/showing my work in juried shows for a number of years, now. My plan is to increase my "exposure", by getting more active in this type of venue and I wondered about how successful a venture can it be?
Feed-back is most appreciated, as I read somewhere the juried show "scene" is a road to nowhere, in the art world.
Thank you in advance.

WFMartin
01-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, if you manage to sell at them, and to receive a monetary award once in awhile for entering your work in a few juried shows, it may not seem very "nowhere" at all. I've had exceptionally good success with juried shows, I believe. I surely have nothing but good to report about entering juried shows. And, I consider it to be great exposure.

The local state fair is a juried show that I enter each year. Two years ago, I entered 3 paintings, and received 4 monetary awards for them. I have also sold perhaps 3 or 4 paintings because of the state fair, either directly, or indirectly. I don't believe it gets much better'n that. :D :D

Juried shows have most certainly not been a "nowhere venue" for me.

RCharleston
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Speaking within the context of the USA, there is an "art world" which exists in the rarified air of high-end-academia and which runs thru NYC galleries whose full page ads adorn the back covers of blue chip art periodicals...all this on the way to Big-City-Museum-dom. It's the only MFA requiring society which tells us it does not require an MFA for membership and a resume' full of best in shows or honorable mentions from one's local juried show circuit is meaningless within it. This is probably where this persistent "road to nowhere" myth has its origins. One has to consider, though, that the number of artists which inhabit this aforementioned art world is infinitesimally small compared with the actual world of artists. For better or worse, the "art world" inhabited by the rest of us generally includes the occasional submission of work to a "local" juried show of some sort. Only downside is the inevitable rejections we all face at such venues sooner or later but this can be in any endeavor. As the friendly lottery officials in my state always say, "Gotta play to win."

mame
01-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Early on when I felt ready to "emerge" I found juried exhibits a low cost marketing vehicle for exposure. I concentrated locally and regionally. I entered state commission on the arts vehicles, local university calls for work and state museum special opportunities. I had no expectation for sales but just to get in the show.
It worked for me and I soon began getting inquiries for more upscale opportunites.
I don't get involved in juried shows anymore unless they are for grants , applications for residencies, or high visibility exposure and/or involve a well established/important juror. I get into fewer than I apply for.

laneart
01-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replies all.....this re-affirms it for me: I am on the right track.
Any more feed-back on the topic is welcome.
Off-topic a bit, I have been reading a great little book on the Impressionist movement (lord, what they went through to get their art even accepted). Juried shows proved to be extremely daunting.....But now I know where "Cafe Guerbois" comes from: It was the "hang-out" for artists and writers to discuss art, politics, whatever, in a sector of Paris they frequented/lived, in the era of Impressionism.

winking cat press
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
I've come to believe that Juried Shows are more about marketing and folks with little talent trying to boost their own self-worth than they are about Artistic Merit. In my 40 years of being an artist, I've only encountered one or two Art Show Juries that were not dominated by folks trying to be a big fish in a little pond.... so I tend to ignore what they say.

winking cat press
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
BUT.... if you happen to be on a jury, read the above rant, and are wondering whether or not to admit my work into your show..... please remember that us artists are always opinionated, and don't let that influence your decision. ;)

laneart
02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
Of two juried shows I submit my work to, I always get something in, or have so far.....which makes me almost "blase'" about it. ("Ha! Yet another exhibit at so and so's gallery.") Perhaps I need to be humbled by rejection......As for jurists, I have mixed thoughts about them. Perhaps if we all had the dubious honor of jurying an art show, we could grasp the seeming caprice of their choices.

Horsa
02-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Pick your shows right and it can be fairly low cost exposure to a large audience. It also provides artistic resume building.

The truth may be that saying you were in the such-and-such juried show may be more impressive to non-art world people, but who are you trying to sell to?

We have a local art museum and several local artist associations that sponsor annual "members" juried shows. If you are a member of the organization you are guaranteed to have a least one pice accepted into the show. This is not going to be very impressive to gallery owners and fellow artists, but to the art buying public who don't know better... you were in a juried show. That means your work must be good.

bleu
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, the question is: are the juried shows the road to nowhere?

Maybe. I don't think I got 'anywhere' entering the shows. But there were many perks entering shows we could drive to.

The biggest was that after entering one show over several years, the curator saw my work again at another juried show and gave me a solo exhibit. Huge attendance and fair sales -- all my own crowd though, no new buyer.

The other perks have to do with meeting artists and getting to know their work. I seldom attended unless I was in the show, usually because of a long drive at night. I feel expanded by the activity.