View Full Version : despair

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
i did this is a smaller size - i decided to it bigger and bolder
c and c please
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2012/23418-despair.jpg

elisabethk
01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
There is a beautiful tension here between luminous light and flat darkness. It is unclear if the dark encroaches the remaining light or if a new light source illuminates despite the night's tenacity. I would say that the balance tends towards a forbidding feeling, hence the title. I do like the minimal use of yellow. This is not complete despair.

ribeyedsmile
01-29-2012, 09:05 AM
huge diference between the prior watercolor and this piece and yet it has the same basic elements. I think this piece breathes better. The darks and lights do not trap each other. One key distinction is the horizon element which gives great depth to this work.

The despair perspective is from the black and the handling. The blurry shadow technique lends itself to interpretaions of mystery. The horizon being deep in the picture plane says "lost in the woods". This coupled with no stable foreground is a dramatic effect that I feel as despair.

It is very foreboding and ominous. Good work Mz Sketch.

Flopka
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
The splashes of yellow really throw the rest of the painting into sharp emotional relief.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-30-2012, 02:01 PM
good afternoon all- thanks for the comments

AllisonR
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
looks like despair to me, but I am depressed at the moment, so everything is coloring my judgment. Like the grayscale values. Like the little punch of yellow. But yellow symbolizes sunshine and happiness and hope and energy. Sort of the opposite of Despair.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-30-2012, 07:35 PM
thanks y'all i'm thinking of changing the title to Out of despair
allison thanks hope you get a sunny moment soon if you havent already

Ms Nan
01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
This is an interesting piece, and i like it (if one can "like" despair"). Very moving. I love your website pics too.

Mz_Sketch_Pad
01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
hi all thanks for the comments- the slitting wrist comments ummm :grouphug:
group hug maybe