PDA

View Full Version : Mounting - silly question maybe...

soap
04-03-2003, 03:30 AM
This might be a silly question, but I simply don't know. Did a search on the internet - but cannot find anything about mounting and framing.

The question: how do you mount a piece? Ok, you get a mount, but how do you attach the art work to it? Simple tape? And what do you use for backing?
Some works I've got are not framed yet, or will never be, and I'd like to mount them (amd maybe stick them in a cheap frame myself) How do I do that?
Anybody got some tips? Is there a website somewhere that explains? I know there are books on the subject, but I just haven't got them.

Thanks a million!
Soap.

jackiesimmonds
04-03-2003, 03:59 AM
Sophie

A couple of things.

Are you mounting/framing for yourself, or to sell? If for yourself, then by all means use cheapo mounts and frames - tho it wont do anything for the pic. If for selling, then it won't pay to do a cheapo job, believe me. It is a great shame to put your hard work into something which will not do it justice. A good mount, and a nice frame, will add to a picture dramatically. Trust me.

I am sure you will find lessons on framing via Google, but here is what I do, when I do it myself. I do not get into cutting mounts, or making frames - tho you can, certainly.

I "hang" the picture from the mount, by attaching it with masking tape from the top edge. If you stick the tape all round, the pic is likely to buckle somewhere, so top, or top and halfway down the sides, is enough.

Why not have a look at these people, who will provide you with very inexpensive, but really beautiful, mounts and frames.

PICTUREMOUNTS ltd (Glasgow). 0141 646 1231. Ask for their brochure. Their mounts are far cheaper than you can buy in the shops, and you can get marvellous mounts, with backing boards, and also cellophane envelopes to fit. Call them for a brochure.
l
Then have a look at Richard Blakeley's website: www.bjrframing.co.uk. I use his frames often. The standard sizes are REALLY good value, quite inexpensive, and he makes them up and sends them to you. All you have to do is pop in the pic, put in the back, press down the little tabs Richard provides, and put masking tape all around. It is as easy as falling off a log, a kid could do it. He will also provide mounts, and they are about the same price as Picturemounts, maybe fractionally more, but nothing much.

Jackie

soap
04-03-2003, 04:17 AM
Thanks Jackie. No, it is not for selling (well maybe selling prints or something, but I am not into that YET), but mostly for myself. When I sell, I use a professional framer.

So, masking tape is all it takes then.....mmm, that sounds easy. And for backing, just any piece of carton?

Thanks again,
S.

MarshaSavage
04-03-2003, 08:08 AM
Soap,

What I do is this:

I use adhesive backed mounting tape (you could use just about any tape that is low tack) because it can be removed without damaging the paper. I cut pieces about two inches long and place them vertically at the top attached to the back of the artwork. I then lay the artwork down on a piece of foam core and place another piece of tape crossways to attach it to the foam core. This will allow your piece to hang freely from the top - this is called hinging. I then cut strips of left over foam core smaller than the width of my mat. I attach the strips with double stick tape to the back of the mat at the outside edges. This will give you a "spacer" you can't see when the mat is placed on top of your artwork. This will allow any pastel dust to fall between the painting and the mat -- hopefully not on the mat. Then put in your frame. Relatively easy to do and inexpensive. If a piece is larger than say -- 12 inches across, I usually put one piece of tape in the middle and then one at each edge.

Hope this helps.

soap
04-03-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks, er...I think I get it.....it reads as very complicated, but I am sure it is not in reality. I suppose I should just get some mats/mounts in, in the sizes I need, and a load of carton for backing. Then, a frame......done.
right?

Thanks to both of you.

jackiesimmonds
04-03-2003, 12:54 PM
Sophie, if you buy the mounts from Picturemounts, they can provide card backings for you, to size.

If you want to frame, and buy the frames from Richard, he will provide the backing board, the frame and the glass, even the hanging rings and string, and you don't need to buy anything else at all, not even "carton", as you call it.

Everyone has their own ideas. Marsha likes spacers - I don't, because I find that when the picture is hanging, the spacer gap throws a shadow, (depending on the direction of the light hitting the picture). Spacers do stop the problem of crumbs dropping down, but I have always just used a double mount, and made sure that the picture has been given a damn good bash on the back before framing. The only ones which have shed a few spots of pastel dust, were those where I had overpainted so much that the pastel was very thick indeed, and Ihadn't used much fix.

Do try my sources, they are tried and tested by me for the past three years and I bet you won't beat the prices. A large double mount, from Picturemounts, costs less than 2!!

Jackie

Bobbie
04-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Jackie,
I hate cutting mats & framing my work. By any chance would you know of any good sources in US?
Are you going to apply to PSA? I think they would accept you as member with GREAT pleasure. How could they not!

jackiesimmonds
04-04-2003, 02:36 AM
Sorry, Bobbie, no I don't have any sources in the USA, there would be no point, as postage costs would be ridiculous AND they hit us with customs duty.

Why not do a search on the internet, for ready-made mats and frames? There should be somebody there who does the same kind of things as Picturemounts, and my chum Richard.

I have the forms all signed for the bank drafts for the PSA and will get around to it shortly.

Jackie

Dreams-of-Flight
04-04-2003, 05:47 PM
As I have an exhibition coming up, I tried to contact Richard Blakeley, but his site is no longer operational - just get an ads page for his hosting company - do you have any other contact details for him?

Many thanks
Lisa

jackiesimmonds
04-05-2003, 12:25 PM
Lisa, how odd, I looked at his site last week and sent him an email through it, which he has recieved and responded to. Anyway, his tel. no is 01924 479179. He will send you a catalogue.

And (edit here) I just tried it, without problems: here is a link:
http://www.bjrframing.co.uk/

Jackie

Bobbie
04-05-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Jackie.
Of course you are right about the shipping, frames are pretty heavy - will search on line.

BTW, I have ordered Unisons from Jackson Art Supply http://www.jacksonsart.com/ in England & found that even with shipping their costs are lower than US. It's well worth a look. In addition their service is fantastic. What a joy to order from them.

Can hardly wait to hear about our newest member in PSA.

jackiesimmonds
04-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Hey Bobbie, that is amazing! I do hope yu don't have to payduty on them when they come in. If not, you should let everyone here know.

haven't sent off to the PSA just yet, am awaiting the bank drafts. I doubt anyway that I would be afforded membership the first time I apply, surely. That would really surprise me. I will keep you posted tho.

Jackie

margoK
09-18-2004, 05:41 PM
Hi,

Good advice, all, on matting pastels. Does it matter what you use for a mounting board? Does it have to be acid-free? -margok

jackiesimmonds
09-20-2004, 04:49 AM
If you ask a conservation framer, he will tell you that he always uses acid-free materials, incluidng acid-free tape!

It depends what you plan to do with the picture. If you are matting and framing for yourself, then frankly, it doesn't matter a whole lot what you use. If you are framing for a customer, then acid-free is certainly the best way to go.

Jackie