PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh....... yes ...... another Still Life.....

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 04:55 PM
...... sorry Im just getting sort of addicted to them. I did a painting of a still life and wasnt to happy with some of it, the fruit seemed swamped by the size of the composition.... (one I will have to rework) ..... but I decided to emphasise the part of the fruit and this is the result

Yet another sheet from the sample pack, this one is something like Schminkle.... felt very hard and rough, and didnt like using it.... the end result is quite pretty as the little bits of sand glimmer

9 x12" - Nupastels and FC pencils

thanks for looking

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/12116-Image9.jpg

... sorry for large pic...... for some reason WC wont let me make them smaller tonight ... ?

..... oops forgot to add, ..... thanks to BevL for use of her photo

soap
04-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Hey!More lace and fruit! Great.
Fruit looks fruity (those apples are perfect!), lacy looks gorgeous as before.
Looking Good!:cool:

(don't really understand why the table cloth has to go upwards in the background.....sorry:( )

bnoonan
04-02-2003, 05:01 PM
wow - Dawn this is fantastic!!! Your work is so much richer in leaps and bounds and this is just one more example.

I love the reflection on the bowl and the tremendous job you did on the detail of each grape. The apple - perfect.

This piece just takes my breath away!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It's a winner - sign that baby and frame it!!!!!

Barb

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by soap
Hey!More lace and fruit! Great.
Fruit looks fruity (those apples are perfect!), lacy looks gorgeous as before.
Looking Good!:cool:

(don't really understand why the table cloth has to go upwards in the background.....sorry:( )

.... sorry soap, all I can say is it does that in the photo lol ..... hee hee ask BevL why she put the the lace cloth up against the back cloth..... perhaps she thought it added some interest,...... I dont know...... I kindda like it :)

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by bnoonan
wow - Dawn this is fantastic!!! Your work is so much richer in leaps and bounds and this is just one more example.

I love the reflection on the bowl and the tremendous job you did on the detail of each grape. The apple - perfect.

This piece just takes my breath away!!!!

It's a winner - sign that baby and frame it!!!!!

Barb

Wow, thanks Barb :) ...... such lovely comments ........ I give credit apart from Bev's wonderful photos ...... to this textured paper..... I dont think Im doing anything different from before, its just the paper seems to act differently to what I do lol .... if that makes sense :)

thanks again

BTDogMom
04-02-2003, 05:30 PM
DAWN!! This is fantabulous!! I love how you used the light on everything - your fruit looks down right tasty - can I come over 4 a snack?? I really think it's lovely!!:D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

meowmeow
04-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Beautiful job Dawn! It really is quite nice. I think the more you do of this stuff the better you get...sometimes! :D I have a big mess going right now. Looking at this feels good. Maybe I can get some encouragement from it!
I'm glad you are enjoying the sample pack!

Sandy

Mo.
04-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Dawn... this is just gorgeous!! :clap:Well done you..those grapes are so luscious, the apples crisp and juicy....beautiful lace and colours!

Why are you apologising for a large pic? :confused: :) All the better to see your lovely work....now get it framed.

cheers,
Mo.

bnoonan
04-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Mo, don't you agree that this is one of Dawn's finest pieces? I'm so impressed.

B:) :D

butterfly
04-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Dawn:
This is absolutely stunning. I just kept going back to look at it over and over :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful !!!

Butterfly/Roni

Smudger
04-03-2003, 03:02 AM
Dawn... I love it!!:clap: :clap:

angeline
04-03-2003, 03:31 AM
Wow this is gorgeous!

E-J
04-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Dawn, you really are becoming the master of fruit & lace arrangements! I love all the colours in your whites. The apples look good enough to crunch into and I'm very impressed by your grapes ~ the black grapes look especially juicy ~ I have never been able to paint a convincing grape.

Just to clarify for Dawn ~ it's DAWN's painting we're saying all these nice things about ;)

Is the grey area under the edge of the lace the actual colour of your sheet of Schmincke paper?

Redsy333
04-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Im with Barb on this one...that reflection and apple are "da Bomb baby!" lol Love it! :D
This is a great picture all the way around...and it has GLIMMER TOO!!!!:eek: :cool: coooooool

sundiver
04-03-2003, 06:04 AM
This is so soft and velvety and tranquil and beautiful! :clap:

(I think I'm getting addicted to still lifes, too. They are fun to do.)

Dark_Shades
04-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Ohhhhhhh WOW guys ......... thanks for all the lovely comments, and compliments....... you sure know how to make a girl feel good lol

.. yeah BT come on over....... welcome any time :)

lol EJ, thanks for the clarification on this one hee hee ;)

lol Redsy, thankyou Smudger, butterfly, Meow, angeline

.. thanks too Mo and Barb, ya making me blush lol

gredelin
04-03-2003, 07:34 AM
Beautiful!
/Gunilla

Dark_Shades
04-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Thanks Gunilla.... thank you too sundiver ..... good fun arent they.... cant wait to try this type of paper out on a portrait

krico
04-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Yes, this is a very nice pastel painting. If it were mine I wouldn't hesitate framing it.

keep up the good work!
Krico

Dark_Shades
04-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn
Is the grey area under the edge of the lace the actual colour of your sheet of Schmincke paper?

EJ, the paper is actually green on this one, the grey is what I have used ......... was the sheet you got of this in your sample pack not green?

E-J
04-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
EJ, the paper is actually green on this one, the grey is what I have used ......... was the sheet you got of this in your sample pack not green?

I can't remember offhand... I only asked to try and get an idea of how you'd applied the pastel in that part of the picture ~ these things aren't always clear, esp. on a crappy monitor like the one I've got at work [it's lunchtime, before you comment on that, hehe]. Just studying your technique :)

zilloot
04-03-2003, 08:01 AM
the fruit and the lace are soooo beautiful...you have a lovely touch!

louiethe_cat
04-04-2003, 12:17 AM
I don't know if this is a known fact or not, but I'm a big fan of still life, this is sooo beautiful. The lighting you capture is glowing, like morning light coming in through an open window. This is absolutely beauriful Dawn, and pleeeeese keep on doing them! :clap:

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 06:29 AM
Thank you Krico ......... I dont know about framing, I normally just leave my paintings on the mantlepiece for awhile then just put them away in a box

thanks Zilloot

.... many thanks Alan, thought that was lovely what you said :)

louiethe_cat
04-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Please tell me you're kidding! At least get a nice "cheapo" frame and put them on Ebay....I guess I don't understand if you don't think they're good enough, or you're just not interested in selling them. If it's the latter, then forget this post, if not... oooh are they good enough, and you are giving someone else a pleasure to behold! :clap:

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 04:00 PM
Sorry Alan, Im not kidding ........ I put them away after awhile in a box ..... framed the ones I gave as Christmas presents :) - sold a couple on Ebay, one framed, one not .... but Ebayers want to buy really really cheaply, one artist here in WC sold a line drawing for $1.00!!! - I have heard that you really have to get a following on Ebay and then can gradually increase your charge......... so for now they go in my little box :) ...... but I have got a website started ...... so at least they are there for me to see..... my little place in space .... lolol

.... would love to sell them, a couple of artists here have given me a rough guide of how much things should sell for...... but if no one is interested ...... they remain in the box hee hee....... Mo's signature says something like....... selling art work is an art ... Ha!

.... thanks again for your really nice words ....... much appreciated

E-J
04-04-2003, 04:05 PM
So, ahem, Dawn, where's the link to this website? *tap tap tap*

I bought some webspace too but have been hopeless about putting anything up there. I will get around to it. One day.

soap
04-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Yes, yes.....I've looked at it! Great, great.....very impressive. Done it yourself, or do you have a web designer?
Your guestbook is very unusual! LOL

You're bookmarked on my pc.

Soap

E-J - come on, join the web!

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 04:25 PM
Yes, yes.....I've looked at it! Great, great.....very impressive. Done it yourself, or do you have a web designer?

Soap

Blinking heck Soap lolol.... your quick off the mark hee hee, I was trying to see how you got websites in WC under the www at the bottom, tried it out and took it off..... (was embarrassed lolol) and you had been there and signed the book ROFL :D ...... lol, Im trying to fill up the World hee hee ..... thanks for commenting by the way

soap
04-04-2003, 04:29 PM
He....that's me......so fast.........always ready to hand out comments on everything...he he.....No really, it looks great.

(oh, just noticed, your www button is gone now! huh?!)

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 04:40 PM

Soap

Thanks Soap :) ...... noooo lol no webdesigner...... just me and me sis :)

Lolol EJ, ....... well seeing as Soap sneaked in already lolol .....

its all only what Ive done whilst in WC, so you probably have seen them all already.....

My Little Place in Space :) (http://www.shadesofdawn.com)

EJ .... for some unknown reason lol I decided to buy a name the other week :eek: lolol.... seemed a good idea at the time :confused: ... the webspace Ive had for quite a few years..... its FREE!!! :clap: ..... I was so fascinated by the internet and what I saw, wanted to try it out myself, so at the time 'friendship emails' were very popular.... so started a site, I wanted to do all what I saw for myself, ...... you might find it gushy!! lol..... but it kept me off the streets for a couple of years hee hee

... so anyone feel free to have a look around, seeing as Im bearing my soul tonight ha ha ha

Friendship Emails (http://www16.brinkster.com/darkshades/DarkShades.html)

E-J
04-04-2003, 04:46 PM
Dawn ... it's like looking at an old family album... recognise so many of the pics! Whose feet are those by the way? Very sexy :D

Sophie, I did have a website, in 1999. After spending the intervening four years working on subscription web services, I can honestly say I know less about html than I did back then, LOL. I will have to get my ar........tistry in gear and design myself a simple web page, just somewhere to put my pastels and acrylics.

guilliame
04-04-2003, 04:49 PM
DS,i want to see you post this again signed mounted and framed and hanging on your wall,no way does it deserve to go in your box,superb,excellent bootylicious oh and some:clap: :clap: :clap:

E-J
04-04-2003, 04:52 PM
OMG Dawn I've just visited the second link.... LOLOLOL

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by E-J
Dawn ... it's like looking at an old family album... recognise so many of the pics! Whose feet are those by the way? Very sexy :D

:eek: ya better watch it!! lolol .... they belong to our very own Miss Mouse

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by guilliame
DS,i want to see you post this again signed mounted and framed and hanging on your wall,no way does it deserve to go in your box,superb,excellent bootylicious oh and some:clap: :clap: :clap:

Awwwwww thanks Guilly :) ....... but, you might have a long wait :( ....... but we'll see, ......its balanced over my fireplace on the mantlepiece at the moment lolol

soap
04-04-2003, 05:25 PM
ROFL.....great website (the second older one I mean).......very sweet........:D

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 05:45 PM
Lol, well the second site hasnt done that bad ...... its had 18956 visitors ....... and the counter was set at 'nil' when I started it :D

Mo.
04-04-2003, 06:11 PM
Wow Dawn... love your websites, now I know why your nick is Dark-shades, keeping things close to your chest. :)

I left a little message for you...good luck and how about a few lessons? I mean it. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

xaenee
04-04-2003, 06:31 PM
I really like how you handled the lace. I have never tried painting lace before. I have heard it is a challange. Fraid I've been slackin this week. Perhaps tonight I will break out some fruit... :)

Dark_Shades
04-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Mo.
Wow Dawn... love your websites, now I know why your nick is Dark-shades, keeping things close to your chest. :)

I left a little message for you...good luck and how about a few lessons? I mean it. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

Thanks Mo :) ...... lolol If you only knew how I came about this name hee hee..... you'd crack up :D
.... well if I can help out at all, let me know....... email me

Hi Xaenee ...... thanks for your comments....... well no excuses now, get that fruit going :)

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 08:32 AM
......... the frame not that you can tell, also has muted gold in with the silver

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/12116-bowlfruitf.jpg

.. trying diff pic

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-May-2003/12116-bowlfruitf1.jpg

soap
05-05-2003, 08:59 AM
WOW!

Kathryn Wilson
05-05-2003, 09:14 AM
Wow Dawn - the frame finishes off a spectacular painting. I love the softness - so tranquil. Keep going with the still lifes - I love to do them too, but they are a challenge and you did very well on this one.

E-J
05-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Dawn ~ beautiful! The frame sets it off so nicely ~ told you we needed a thread for framed work :) ;)

Dark_Shades
05-05-2003, 11:18 AM
Thank you Soap..... and thank you Kyle :)

Originally posted by E-J
Dawn ~ beautiful! The frame sets it off so nicely ~ told you we needed a thread for framed work :) ;)

lol Ej, yes you did :) ...... as I said before..... I dont normally frame them...... its only Guilly kept on at me to frame some lolol ..... now what on earth do I do with them !!!!

I put the Lemon Tea one in a frame, and Im pleased with that one too .... dont worry I wont bore you with that one hee hee

mhimeswc
05-05-2003, 12:26 PM
This is beautiful! I love how you handled the lace.

Michelle

guilliame
05-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks DS.see told you my perserverance finally paid off,look at all the compliments you are getting and well deserved too .both this one and the lemon tea look great:clap: now what will you do with them,lets say your house has 6 rooms +hall thats 7 and each room has 4 walls,so 7x4 =28walls:D

flower
05-05-2003, 02:27 PM
Hi Dawn,

I love this pic, the background is so soft and the fruit looks so eatable, is that possible? Oh well back to the board for me LOL.

I can believe that about the paper since i bought different pastel paper in ireland i notice im getting better effects, well better for me..................

Mo.
05-05-2003, 06:28 PM
OMG!!! How beautiful it looks in that frame...not that it didn't before...this must tell you.....Get 'em framed...Guilli's right.... It's gorgeous. :)

Cheers,
Mo.

angecald
05-06-2003, 12:48 AM
Dawn, as you've already been told enough times maybe you're starting to believe it - that's a very fine still life. I love the warm and cool contrasts, that misty blue light, and the way the lace fades into the shadows.

It looks wonderful in the frame, by the way. Framing really does add a lot to the work. So hang it in the best parlour with pride!:)