PDA

View Full Version : My Artmate... too cool

E-J
04-02-2003, 04:44 PM
I cross-posted this in the 'Studio Tips' forum... I'm so excited :D

My Artmate (http://www.artmate.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/) arrived today and I've just set it up, donkey-style... I know the still-life setup doesn't match the painting, but I'm terribly excited about my 'studio', I just wanted to give you an idea of how it looks :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/13865-donkey2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/13865-donkey3.jpg

I've tried it out and this is a very comfortable working position for me.

There's a little tray thing on the side of the seat for holding bits and pieces ~ I will of course be using it as a pastel palette!

The photo below, taken from the doorway, shows you how little space I have in which to paint and how cool it is for me to get this contraption! It's like an instant studio!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/13865-donkey1.jpg

It would be light enough to take out with you if you're serious about plein air [there are wheels and adjustable legs for uneven surfaces] and there are a mind-bending number of configurations (http://www.artmate.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/more_configurations.htm) you can put this thing into to turn it into a standing easel, a donkey, a flat working area, a storage space...

Did I mention I'm excited? :D :D :D

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 05:07 PM
erm it looks great EJ :confused: .... do you sit at it and do pull ups? :D
can you post some pics of you at it ....... lol.... the artmatey thingie ..... I cant understand the pics

... recognise the tablecloth and jug..... lol

soap
04-02-2003, 05:21 PM
Gosh, Dawn, you are jolly tonight! LOL

E-J - it looks great. Must say, I had to look at that website to see that you are actually supposed to sit on that thing......ist that comfortable?
But we are now all in waiting for your masterpieces!

Great stuff E-J!

S.

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by soap
Gosh, Dawn, you are jolly tonight! LOL

lol, just gets worse doesnt it lol ...... I answered you again, and my last word seemed wrong or appropriate too ..... ohhhhh eck

..... wheres the blush smilie gone again :o :D ..... its not me, its that cheeky monkey ;)

E-J
04-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
erm it looks great EJ :confused: .... do you sit at it and do pull ups? :D
can you post some pics of you at it ....... lol.... the artmatey thingie ..... I cant understand the pics

Dawn, never done a push-up/pull-up/sit-up in my life and don't intend to start now. Will get husband to take a photo of the artist at work [ha!] sometime. Better still, check out this link (http://www.artmate.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/more_configurations.htm) for a picture ~ will save me having to look like a complete lemon. Re the tablecloth and jug... I'm surprised you didn't recognise the apples too, since they were yesterday's oil pastel sketch! I like to recycle my subjects ad tedium, as well you know :)

Sophie, yes, it's comfortable, but then I have a strong back and up to now I've had to do my art in a sitting position on the floor at a box easel, so compared to that it's luxury. And this is just one of the possibilities, remember... I may reconfigure it into something else soon... Reminds me of "Transformers! Robots in Disguise!" :D

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by E-J

Dawn, never done a push-up/pull-up/sit-up in my life and don't intend to start now. Will get husband to take a photo of the artist at work [ha!] sometime. Better still, check out this link (http://www.artmate.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/more_configurations.htm) for a picture ~ will save me having to look like a complete lemon. Re the tablecloth and jug... I'm surprised you didn't recognise the apples too, since they were yesterday's oil pastel sketch! I like to recycle my subjects ad tedium, as well you know :)

Sophie, yes, it's comfortable, but then I have a strong back and up to now I've had to do my art in a sitting position on the floor at a box easel, so compared to that it's luxury. And this is just one of the possibilities, remember... I may reconfigure it into something else soon... Reminds me of "Transformers! Robots in Disguise!" :D

Lol Ej, you said that soooooo much better than me .... 'artist at work' :D
..... actually did spy the apples, but thought best not to comment ;) ....... thanks for the link thats mighty impressive.... well when you are sitting astride it as in pics....... you could easily lean backwards to check view and do tummy tucks at same time :D ..... who said 'art' isnt healthy..... what with all the fruit in still lifes lol ..... hubby must be pleased.... good result with the football....... 'bend it like Beckham':clap: ..... yeahhhhhh
........ the artmatey is quite expensive then

E-J
04-02-2003, 05:53 PM
The guy who makes them sells on eBay occasionally, so I picked this one up for 100 [and 50p] including postage + packing, instead of full price. Most easels are stupidly expensive, several hundred quid, so this was ideal.

bnoonan
04-02-2003, 06:07 PM
E-J - I'm sharing your joy but I have to say it's not quite as comfy looking for me. It reminds me of the artists horses - at least that's what they call them here in the states where you straddle them and prop up your board - just like this but without wheels.

So... can you put on the wheels and travel around the house in that thing? Painting on the run???

Imagine that - you can do still lifes in every room of the house.

Does it come with a bar? I'd have that installed if I were owning one.

Agree with you about the exercise options.

Barb

BTDogMom
04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
WOW!! EJ that is SWEEET!! I looked on the website 2 c what it was all about - that is REALLY cool!!! This may b a stupid question, but how much did u pay in american dollars - I don't understand how Europe currency (or actually any body else's currency 4 that matter) translates? :rolleyes: :)

Redsy333
04-02-2003, 08:27 PM
OMGoshers...lol with my luck....id lean in to far and flip the damn thang!!!:D:D Then Id end up eating pastels and having chesty prints on my pic!!!!LOL
But......I am soooo excited for you, especially if you were working on the floor:eek: ! That would kill me behind and back!
Anytime I get new art stuff Im like a kid in the candy store...;) so I can understand your excitement:D YAY!:clap:

butterfly
04-03-2003, 12:22 AM
E-J

That really does look rather interesting. Now I'm sorry my hubby bought me that french wood easel for plein aire.

And it does kinda remind me of the horse that we here in America use in class and studios at college

Good luck with it.

Butterfly/Roni

E-J
04-03-2003, 04:28 AM
BTDogMom ~ "Europe currency" LOL ~ I'm in the UK and our currency doesn't have anything to do with most of the rest of Europe's ~ though the Euro should be easy for you to understand as it's more or less the same as US dollars. As for Pound Sterling, 1 is about US$1.60 so the Artmate cost me $157.

BTDogMom
04-03-2003, 09:43 AM
WOW, EJ!! That's not bad at all considering what u got 4 yer money!! Thanx 4 the explanation :rolleyes: :D!!! I'm gonna stare at it some more, heading off 2 the website again - looks so cool.

Redsy - LOL!!! HA HAH EHA HEH AHE - (I'm totally accident prone - know right where u r coming from!) u r a crack up!!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/18803-laugh.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/18803-laugh.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/18803-laugh.gif

jackiesimmonds
04-03-2003, 05:14 PM
I had a chat with the guy who makes these, thanks to you EJ, and I am going to offer to do a piece on it for The Artist mag here in the UK. I think it is a great art "gadget", though the weight would put me off a bit personally - it must get quite heavy when all your equipment is in it. But then again, I have never weighed all my gear put together, when I trek around with all my stuff in a bag, on wheels, plus chair and easel. (Not round the house, I hasten to add..........I have visions of this thing being motorised, and EJ whizzing about the place on it.)

Apparently, he doesn't sell many, probably because it is pretty expensive by UK standards, but he isn't too bothered about it, because he built it initially for himself. However, at 100 on Ebay, I think it is a bargain price.

Exporting to the US would put a huge amount on the price, though, because of the weight of the item, so I think it is really only for UK buyers right now.

J

Mo.
04-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Looks ingenious to me ..as long as you don't go A over apex you'll be fine.:D:.
cheers,
M.o

louiethe_cat
04-04-2003, 12:27 AM
I've been using one of those "craft tables" where the table top adjusts up and down, that's ok, but not the greatest for pastels, dust accumulates. But the other day went to AC Moore, love that store, 40% off, and got one of those table top aluminum easels that locks your pic into place, back rest adjusts to tilting the pic backward and upward, has rubber stoppers so it doesn't slide around. A simple tool, but much better than the table, dust falls to the pic rest, has a handle on top to carry it around. Anyway, the whole point of this is that I felt that same excitement when I used it for the first time, someday I'll afford one of those nicer ones. But, easy to please right now! I'm happy for ya EJ, have a blast with it!:clap:

E-J
04-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by jackiesimmonds
I had a chat with the guy who makes these, thanks to you EJ, and I am going to offer to do a piece on it for The Artist mag here in the UK.

Wonderful, Jackie. I can't believe Martin Wild does this on his own! It's a very sturdy and well-designed item.

Exporting to the US would put a huge amount on the price, though, because of the weight of the item, so I think it is really only for UK buyers right now.

On the Artmate website, the 'introductory price' for US buyers is quoted as being 215.50, which is about US$337 including delivery to the States.

..........I have visions of this thing being motorised, and EJ whizzing about the place on it.

LOL. Don't fancy my chances negotiating the stairs :)