PDA

View Full Version : 1st monotype print - but it'll get better

DuncanBerenice
04-02-2003, 02:40 PM
Hi folks,

here is my first attempt at monotype (well 3rd if you count the mistakes). size is 6" x 4"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/4087-monotype_print_a.jpg
Some detail - I'm hoping it'll show the paper texture
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/4087-monotype_print_b.jpg

What I did, may be a mistake but I have learned, I painted with a brush - that's no a problem but I did dab paint like Bob Ross and that's where I went wrong :D I'll do the image again but I won't dab this time, more careful planning is what I should do.

Choice of paper was wrong too, it has a texture, maybe it would have worked had I had a press, but unfortunately I don't have one, and the nearest printmaker's workshop is an hour's drive away.

I'm happy with my result, but my next image will hopefully be better :D

Duncan

sassybird
04-03-2003, 05:21 PM
The more you do the better feel you get for doing mono types. Are you using plexiglass to paint on? If so you can hold it up to the light to make sure you are getting good coverage. Are you using watercolor or oils to paint with? This looks like watercolor. In doing watercolor mono types you can glaze as you would with painting a watercolor on paper, and it will give you richer color.

You are coming along fine with this. I hope to see more soon.

DuncanBerenice
04-04-2003, 02:01 PM
thanks Sassybird

The monotype was painted with oils straight from the tube, I actually put masking tape around the edge of the paper to protect my white border but, with using the pressure roller I found that the masking tape tore the paper when taken off - I'm learning :D The white clouds were deliberate left unpainted on the perspex.

In my previous post I said that I was going to use some paper used for acrylic painting until I can get some printing paper. Instaed of dabbing I'll use brushstrokes next time, hopefully it won't be long before I get to do one :D

Duncan

sassybird
04-05-2003, 06:04 PM
You can also premix the oils with a bit thinner and pour them on the plexiglass. Then use your brush to move the paint around the way your want it.