PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Cloth?

meowmeow
04-02-2003, 09:28 AM
In the sample pack from Dakota there is a piece of Pastel Cloth. I have not seen anyone post about using this and wondered if anyone here has used it. Aaaand....how the heck do you use it? :D I imagine it needs to be mounted to a support but have never done such a thing. Any tips?
I have noticed that in Best of Pastel there are several paintings which were done on Patel Cloth. I was thinking if I used the cloth maybe my pictures would look as good as theirs! :D

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
04-02-2003, 11:16 AM
I only recently even heard of the stuff when browsing the Dakota website. I would be curious as to how it is used also.

bnoonan
04-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Never even heard of it. Can't wait to see who may be familiar with it. Good question!!! Barb

meowmeow
04-02-2003, 01:29 PM
http://www.dakotapastels.com/paper_pastelcloth.shtml

That is the link the the Dakota page to order it.
There is some info but since I have never mounted anything on anything I was a bit nervous to jump in and try it...well not really nervous but would like to hear from someone who has done it.
I can see it is real popular here at WC! :D
Hopefully someone willl bumble along who has used it.
I do not want to be the guinea pig! :D

Sandy

E-J
04-02-2003, 03:00 PM
hi Sandy ~ I'm working my way slowly through the Dakota sampler but have yet to try the pastel cloth. I believe you can either stretch it like canvas or just use it as you would regular pastel paper ~ keeping it taut, I guess, with bulldog clips or similar. Hoping someone will enlighten us. In the meantime, we'll just have to save the cloth for last :)

Mikki Petersen
04-02-2003, 04:11 PM
I mount my pastel papers to foamcore board before beginning to paint or sketch to provide a rigid surface to work on. I use 3-M Photomount spray glue to do the mounting as it is acid-free. I also use the more expensive archival foamcore board from my art supply dealer instead of the standard office supply kind. I find this makes my pastel paintings more stable for working on and for storing. I would guess you could use the same technique for mounting pastel cloth. Does this cloth have a canvas like texture? I have not used the pastel cloth but the description sounds like something I have done, which is to prep a stretched canvas (like for acrylics, etc) with Art Spectrum's Pastel Primer and done paintings over that. It works very well, too.

Let's hear from someone who has done this! Yoohoo! Hello....

Rick R
04-02-2003, 07:52 PM
I also would like to know. It's very, very strange stuff. It reminds me of a really thick dryer anti-static sheet.

meowmeow
04-02-2003, 08:01 PM
Geez! We are a bundle of information here! :D
I imagine I could try that with mounting it on foamcore or something. I think that is the idea.
I would just love to hear of someone who has used it. I know someone has used it...they probably just don't live here at WC! :D
Patience! Patience...maybe someone will turn up who knows what they are talking about.
If not, eventually I will glue this to something and let you all know how it is. :D
Right now I am busy making a big mess on some Wallis.
:mad:

Sandy

Redsy333
04-02-2003, 08:16 PM
LOL the only pastel cloth ive used is the one for blending:D that lil shammie thangie....lol so best of luck, cant wait to see what this stuff is!

DFGray
04-03-2003, 01:16 AM
Hi
I have used both pastel cloth and sanded canvas from Fredricks
it seems to be too much preparation to mount these before working and too much hassle to mount them after I recently had to redo an old pastel on the sanded canvas as the mounting wasn't done well enough 20 years ago (by yours truly) the cloth will take toning, the canvas less and there seem to be no real advantage for all the work except for the size the canvas came about 42" wide, took a lot of pastel though.
regards
Dan

meowmeow
04-03-2003, 08:19 AM
Aha! Finally someone who has used this stuff...and you are not particularly encouraging! :D
So...I guess I will try it. I need to get some adhesive. I would think if I just mount it to foam core that is not that difficult to do.
I'll let you know when I get to it.
And maybe someone else will come along who has done it before!
Thanks Dan!

SAndy