PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Waterfalls -Discussion

Johannes Instructor
01-25-2012, 08:52 AM
The registration for the Essentials of Painting Waterfalls is now open:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jan-2012/135220-Red_Rock_Falls,_BC.jpg

Once again the publishers of The Artist's Magazine and Nortlight books have requested our resident artist, Johannes Vloothuis, to share his secrets on how to effectively paint convincing waterfalls that seem like the water is actually moving. Waterfalls make some of the most gorgeous paintings ever. Join him and thousands of worldwide students on the most advanced online teaching system. This workshop will include demos in several mediums. You don't want to miss it. It is free!
TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM EST.
DATES: 3 Saturdays from February 11, 18 & 25
Fee: Free (Sponsored by F&W Media Inc. publishers of The Artist's Magazine.)
A certificate of completion will be given to those who attend the course.
REQUIREMENTS: A computer with a broadband internet connection, sound coming out of your computer and enough ram.

To register:
https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/585247208

just having fun
01-25-2012, 09:51 AM
I posted your link on Idrawandpaint, :thumbsup: Everett

4evrAutumn
01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Signed up and eagerly looking forward to it! I've learned so much from the few classes I've been able to watch and the lessons I've purchased. I'm hoping to get the tree series soon.

Oh, and because the class time is 10 a.m. here in So.Cal, I have an excuse to have popcorn for breakfast. :D

Sonni
01-28-2012, 04:00 PM
I signed up, but I will miss the first one as I have a 5-day plein air workshop running down here in Mexico, which begins on the 11th.

CatherineOnTheLake
01-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Hi Johannes. I am also signed up for waterfalls. Thanks so very much for the class today and for including my homework during the review time. :) The class today was superb and inspring. Catherine

carol_lee
01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Registered... on first notice.... thanks for the great sessions on skies....

artist31
01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
I am so looking forward to this session.

wetbob
01-31-2012, 07:11 AM
I am so looking forward to this session
me too!

Jessica M
01-31-2012, 10:44 PM
I can't wait for this new class to begin! Thank you, Johannes, for offering these classes both for free and the downloads at such a reasonable price. Your teaching has given me a whole new perspective on landscape painting. I know I still have a long way to go (ie. lots of practice), but it means so much to have consistent input along the way!

Johannes Instructor
01-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Do you remember I told you that sky holes need to appear the same value as the sky but must be mixed darker. Check this illusion out. It just goes to show that you can also make cast shadows quite luminious and yet the viewer will feel the shadows are dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2012/135220-82978496-ADA7-423C-CED9DB6BDA94D22B_1.jpg
In this illusion created by vision scientist Edward H. Adelson of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, squares A and B are the same shade of gray

Mustbenuts
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for posting this....a great reminder that a picture is worth a thousand words. :thumbsup: Amazing to see such a dramatic illustration. I'm saving a copy to my computer.

While I'm at it, thank you, deep appreciation, and gratitude for everything you give to our education. :heart:

nougat
02-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Do you remember I told you that sky holes need to appear the same value as the sky but must be mixed darker. Check this illusion out. It just goes to show that you can also make cast shadows quite luminious and yet the viewer will feel the shadows are dark.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jan-2012/135220-82978496-ADA7-423C-CED9DB6BDA94D22B_1.jpg
In this illusion created by vision scientist Edward H. Adelson of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, squares A and B are the same shade of gray

i looked at this for a long time.

and i can't see it..

:(

nougat
02-02-2012, 03:19 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/puzzle/puzz10b.htm

here's a demo - it is really quite amazing!!!

robertsloan2
02-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Wow! Thanks for that illusion, Johannes! That's startling - and yep, that's brilliant, it's all context how dark or light something is. Or how bright or muted when it comes to color.

I've already signed up for Waterfalls. Actually registered twice and got a nice little note reminding me I had already registered. Good thing they do that because I have a bad memory.

Now for the bad news for everyone else.

I am stepping down as the Scribe of Johannes.

I'm not going to be posting my notes any more. I've got two big reasons. Both of them are important.

1) I am tired of doing it. What I used to do mainly for myself so that I wouldn't forget anything important has become a chore and an obligation. I don't feel unappreciated. I feel overwhelmed. Several times already I have tried to back off, do something else like paint along during class. I've encouraged others to post their notes.

The result is that someone does for a week or two and then they stop. People say "But your notes are so much better." They're not. You don't get the real benefit of writing it down for yourself. When you write it down, you tell your brain "Put this in long term memory." When you try to copy a shape he's just drawn, your hands are learning the shapes and it's not just remembering the mantra "abstract shapes." Your eyes see it and your hands know how to do one, the same way you don't think about doing stick figures.

Yes, it's hard. It's hard for me too, I've just been doing it so long that it became almost a reflex - until it started to interfere with my learning. I'm at a point now when most of the time what I need for my own growth is to paint along, or ask a question. Most of all to watch Johannes, look at his hands moving, see what the paint does when he's actually doing that thing he just described. If I'm looking at the page writing it all down, I miss a lot of it until I get the downloads - and I miss out on asking about it in the moment when he's there.

2) Some people told me they're using my notes instead of making it to class or buying the downloads. When it was just "I missed class, so glad you took notes, I can catch up better" I didn't feel bad about it. Life happens. I dreaded what would happen if I missed class.

But when they talked about using my notes as a substitute for the downloads, that's just too much. That's like taking one of those Metropolitan Opera broadcasts, blacking out the screen except for the subtitles and turning the sound off. You haven't seen or heard the opera. You're reading chopped-down captions with no reference to anything real.

If you learn better from written material, try the "Four Aces" that Johannes recommended. You get the class discount on them and they're already very cheap. North Light is great that way. They even stack discounts. I bought the VIP program last year before I got them and they stacked the VIP discount on top of the class discount.

The downloads are worth the money. They're already cheap. There's a lot of them, but if you get them one at a time it's easy to squeeze them into even a tight budget and take your time studying the one you got this time, watching it more than once.

If taking notes is hard work, interfering with my growth as an artist, interfering with other people's getting the most out of the class and on top of that not helping Johannes publicize the class, then why am I doing it?

I had thought of tapering off gradually, but maybe it's better to just get the shock out of the way. From now on I won't be taking notes. Whether you do and whether you share them is entirely up to you. I'll enjoy them if you do and keep on painting if you don't, because the one that'll get the most out of it if you take notes is you.

nougat
02-02-2012, 04:28 AM
wow robert!!

you are so right!!! you have been sacrificing your own enjoyment and advancement for us!!!
thank you sooo much for your notes. they were appreciated.
i so hope you start enjoying and making the most out of the classes for yourself - you will post your paintings? :)
hope to see you for the waterfalls :)
and your kitty too :)

artastic
02-02-2012, 07:05 AM
I have signed up too, I mised all of the sky lessons due to a death in the family, so hope to get a chance to see these
thanks for the illustration Johannes, amazing perspective on light,
Robert, good for you, it is alot of work,a nd I know you have not been able to participate inthe painting aspect,your notes are wonderful and thank you so much for giving us your time and work.

Tattau
02-02-2012, 08:00 AM
I am stepping down as the Scribe of Johannes.

Perfectly understandable, Robert, and I do so hope that you know how much you are appreciated. The hard work that you have done has gone a lot further than you may realize. There are several children here, in the remote areas of Wyoming, with little to no art education opportunities, or access to the internet, that have been learning to draw and paint through your notes, and your Blog, which I have been sharing and explaining to them. You and Johannes Vloothuis (I won't even go into the various ways his name has been mangled/pronounced) have both become celebrities with the young ones here. You've become Robert Sloan, the "Cat Man" of San Francisco (though most the kids aren't really quite sure where that is) and his side-kick "Ari," who has become a celebrity in his own right.

We've been discovering quite a remarkable vein of talent running through the children of ranch workers, and oil field workers.

http://www.wyolifestyle.com/blog/?p=581

Thank you so much for all the work that you've done, and be assured that your fan club out here will be following your career with great admiration and anticipation.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sgourlayart
02-02-2012, 10:02 AM
http://www.chessbase.com/puzzle/puzz10b.htm

here's a demo - it is really quite amazing!!!
Nougat, thanks for posting that website reference. It really strengthens Jo's point about skyhole values. Stu

nougat
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
exactly!! and seeing the explanation really helps.

its also nice to know that you're not supposed to actually SEE the 2 squares as the same shade cos i sure couldn't!!

ecloudy
02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Robert,
Thank you and your retirement is long overdue. You deserve it. What you said about the usefullness of everyone doing their own notes is so true.
Enjoy the class along with the rest of us.

billy boy
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Thank you so much for all of these sessions. I have missed a few but will
purchase them. I can't wait for the waterfall session.

Robert, I will miss your class notes. You did a wonderful job. But
I don't blame you for wanting to be more involved in the classes.

Terry

robertsloan2
02-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Wow! Thank you! It took me a couple of days of thinking about it just to dare to write that post, also to edit it down to a mere 500 words or so instead of 2,500 words of personal reasons why I'm getting that tired of doing it.

I was dead scared there'd be a riot or 35 pages of people begging me not to stop. This is an incredible relief. Thank you!

Of course I'll post my class paintings. I think some of why I finally decided to let go is that Waterfalls are something I always wanted to paint. There are lots of really good waterfall photos in Johannes's big pack of photo references. I bought that when he first offered it. Every time I go through it, I get drawn to painting waterfalls. Something about water slamming over rocks always grabs me.

Tattau, now that I know my Art Lessons blog is becoming a resource for these Wyoming kids, I'll make an effort to post entries every week on schedule. It is the Art Lessons blog, right? That is so totally awesome. I'll see if I can post a little more about San Francisco and give a better idea of where it is and what it's like.

Johannes Vloothuis is pronounced like Float House. I remember that from the first few lessons and got used to it.

Your blog entry link was wonderful. I commented on it. Whoever painted the cat at the top is very good at cat proportions and used initials. The other two were great too, that first cat I had to smile because she or he was very observant on proportions. That young artist is someone who will be able to start tapping the market I have going on Facebook, cat lovers who want a portrait of their furry beloveds.

It sounds like you're either inviting them over to watch the classes or buying the downloads and showing them to the kids. Either way this is fantastic. If you pass on their questions in comments on the blog, I'll be happy to answer them either on the comments thread or in the next entry if it's something that sparks an entire article.

I'm really looking forward to participating more. This is going to be great. That and posting in here more often, commenting in the Student Critique Thread. I need more practice on critique in order to critique my own paintings, that works for writing and it works for art.

Bring on the white water! This is going to be fun!

Amandine
02-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Robert, I'll miss your notes. But, I really understand your point of view. You're a painter - a pastellist - so, you should have time to watch Johannes painting, paint along if you wish, ask questions, etc. Your job is not to take notes for all of us, even though they were so much appreciated. It was your decision to share them with us, it's your decision to stop doing it. We'll still love you :grouphug: .
Happy painting !

jillmc3
02-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Thank you, Robert, for your honesty and courage to tell it like it is. Too often, we don't do that and the consequences are huge!

i agree that we learn more by writing these notes ourselves, I have always been an avid note-taker (hence my 'real' job as a legal assistant!) and believe it really helps to retain information. In fact, I copy passages from books (i.e. The Bible) when I want to memorize them. The act of writing implants them into my brain!

I am glad to hear that you will still be in the workshops - when I saw that you would not be posting notes, I was worried about you! Thank you for all you have shared, and ENJOY! :)

Your fellow artist,
Jill

CatherineOnTheLake
02-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Robert. I am a newbie (having started with Johannes in December for "Water"). Being new, I had (and still have!) so much to learn. I am a believer in taking one's own notes, (5 years University!) but I used your notes to supplement mine when I did not understand something. So I thank you so very much for your notes and your generosity. Will you keep your previous notes posted so we can continue to reference them if need be? You are a gem and are treasured by all who know you I am sure. Plus anyone who loves cats is extra special anyway right? :) Enjoy your "retirement"! 'Cat'herinne :)

mickisew
02-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Robert: I also express appreciation for your notes and understand/agree with your reasoning. We all look forward to your active participation in class.

Micki

carol_lee
02-04-2012, 12:18 AM
I am glad to hear that you will still be in the workshops - when I saw that you would not be posting notes, I was worried about you! Thank you for all you have shared, and ENJOY! that was my first reaction too! Very wrong choice of wording in that post on your note thread!!! Then I saw your post. Fully understand your position!!!! All the best!!!

Johannes Instructor
02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Dear Johannes,

I have been taking watercolor lessons for seven years. I heard about your class on painting water and decided to give it a try. Afterthe first week I down loaded your class on painting landscapes fromphotos. I am on lesson five at this time and have learned more from yourcourses than I have in seven years with my instructor. All he ever said wasdonít copy the photo but never gave your reasons, i.e. golden nuggets, as towhat to do. So, I want to say thanks and I will be taking all theclasses you offer. Your one great instructor.
Now for my question. You are constantly talking aboutcolor value and I understand why. However, I have problems evaluating thevalue of a color. I try to use the gray scale values I purchased, but Ijust canít get within +/- two values of what I think is the correct answer. Isthere some technique I need to know or is it just a matter or practice? Also, is a color at its maximum value when it comes out of the tube? I know youcan add water to reduce its value but what do you use to increase its value. I have heard that you should add itís compliment or paynes gray toincrease the value, but doesnít that change the original color to another colorof a higher value? I have asked several instructors and never got astraight answer. I look forward to your answer. Perhaps others in youclass would like to hear your answer too.

An appreciative student

Thanks for your compliment. I receive that with gratitude.
About judging the values (degrees of lights and darks). In my course you will hear me mention that I have the same problem to. All artists have problems determining what exactly what value something is on a gray scale from a certain colored area. All we can do is give it our best educated guess. That is why I suggested in the course to break everything into 3 main values. You convert your color mixtures into an imaginary gray scale or pretend you take black and white photo. What shades of grays will appear? This way when mixing paint all you do is concentrate on these three:

mid light
mid value
mid dark
You add one more value which is white in case you have a snow scene, waterfall or white buildings.

Of course inadvertently once you finish the painting, it will end up with many more values than the ones mentioned above. That happens naturally when you mix. One technique is to mix a perfect mid value with black and white, a perfect mid dark value (7) 10 being black and a perfect mid light (3) . I would suggest you have three squares of the three values above and place them on top of your watercolor paper before you begin to paint. Then you squint your eyes and make the comparison. Squinting is the technique you are looking for value - color comparisons. Take into account that watercolor does not dry the same as when the paint is wet, which even justifies more so that you are to only think in 3 gray values.
There are many pigments in tubes for sale. Some of the colors are already grayed down from their mother hue on the color wheel. For example burnt sienna is more subdued than cadmium orange.

When you add water it makes the value go lighter not darker because more white of the paper shows thru. You are confusing color value (how dark or light something is) with color intensity (how saturated a color is) . The compliment of a color subdues the saturation somewhat like putting sun glasses on. It can make a color darker as well if the secondary pigment is darker, For example if you add ultramarine blue to orange of course the orange will get darker (ultramarine blue is quite dark) and also less intense because of the complement. Dioxazine Purple is a handy way to increase the value or better understood as "darken" a value.
You are correct to criticize that artist that just says don't copy the photo with no further explanation. I have always objected against mediocre effort when teaching students. For some unknown reason this seems to be a typical scenario.

Now about why photos should not be copied. The artist has to understand that once you crop something and limit a scene on a small area such as a painting, you will have a totally artificial scene. Normally in the real world things slowly become blurred out in the peripheral vision but in a rectangle, the eye flow comes to a full stop where the side of the painting area ends. This already is an unnatural process because in nature nothing stops the eye from moving and flowing. Therefore we need to implement techniques to make that small area interesting enough to compensate for the constricted area so the painting captures the viewer's attention long enough. That is what that course, "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos" comes in handy.

uthule13
02-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Good for you, Robert! You're doing the right thing for all the right reasons. I get tired of comments like, "It's OK if I miss part of the class because I'll always have Robert's notes." You've done a great service, and everyone appreciates it, but some have become a little too dependent. Now you can relax and enjoy learning along with the rest of us. I look forward to your comments in the chat.

sapphirelynn
02-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Robert I wish to thank you for all that you have done. I too always take notes but YOU are the KING of note taking. Mine are a pathetic mess in compared with yours. That said on the blank side of your notes I would jot down things that resonated with me and reinforced items that I needed to learn or remember. I shall really miss your notes. I totally understand your position and want you to know that I wish you well in your learning and am so glad that you are OK....Also wish to thank you for teaching me how to take better notes..lol..guess I had better write a little neater so I can understand my own scribble...hugs Lynn

tedzart
02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Robert: You have done such a wonderful job in showing us a better way to enhance our note taking skills. We are all better for what you have shared with us. I sincerely appreciate all that you have done. I know you will greatly benefit from being able to participate in the classes with your own personal goals in mind. We will miss your notes. You have spoiled us so richly.
Robert, I hope you will enjoy the classes..even more than you have in the past.
Thank you again for showing us the way.
Teddy

tedzart
02-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Johannes:
I am so looking forward to the Waterfalls classes. Waterfalls have always been one of my very favorite subjects to paint. I know I will learn so much and will greatly improve my skills. You are the most awesome instructor and give some much of yourself with each class you present.
Thanks a million, billion, trillion....
Teddy

Banner
02-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Thank you, Robert, I have appreciated your notes that you have shared with all of us, you certainly deserve a chance to concentrate on what Johannes is teaching. I have marvelled how you could do such lovely sketches & write your notes so accurately. Kind regards & my best wishes from New Zealand

Artistic License
02-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Just wondering, how do we get the certificates for the courses? I enrolled and attended the painting sky classes and am signed up for waterfalls.
Thank you,
Marilyn, Artistic License

Johannes Instructor
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Just wondering, how do we get the certificates for the courses? I enrolled and attended the painting sky classes and am signed up for waterfalls.
Thank you,
Marilyn, Artistic License

As soon as I find some time I will email them to you.

Artistic License
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
I attended the painting sky class. Now, how do I go about receiving a certificate? Just curious. Thank you, Marilyn

LionessOfArt
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Robert, How well said. No one benefits more from note taking than the person doing it. I know I am one of those people who only remembers things well if I write them down. I am new to the classes, this is my first, so I have not benefited from your note taking on the other hand, I won't miss what I haven't been accustomed to using, right? LOL! :-) I can't blame you for not wanting to be unit secretary and minutes taker though and the part about folks using the notes instead of attending the class at all is just crazy! I get so excited when I have the opportunity to attend a live class! I can't imagine someone wanting to substitute that experience for reading over notes instead? No offense toward you of course, actually you must be one awesome note taker!! Ha, Ha, Ha.

Anyway, I side with you 100% for your decision and I believe you have all the right reasons for doing so. I look forward to attending the live classes with you and getting all we can out of them. Bravo Robert!!

Johannes Instructor
02-10-2012, 06:57 PM
I attended the painting sky class. Now, how do I go about receiving a certificate? Just curious. Thank you, Marilyn
I have your data registered. They will be emailed out.

spudsmom
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Robert I'll miss your notes! You are one of the best note takers I have ever encountered! But I truly understand why, so enjoy the classes!

I am so excited that this class is beginning tomorrow. I missed the last two weeks in the sky class because I was in South Africa. It was a really cool trip and I have tons of new photos that I can use for painting. We did a week's safari and now I think I need to paint landscapes with animals in them. I have fabulous pictures of elephants, giraffes, cheetahs, leopards, lions... so many and so little time to paint!

I just started working in oils and am finding them way easier than watercolor! However I find myself much messier when I'm done painting. ;-)

See you in class tomorrow,
Sherri

Tresgatos
02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Robert - thank you for all the hard work you put in on note taking - it really was appreciated.

Kenots
02-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Thanks Robert for all you have done!!! Your notes were always great! But you deserve to have some freedom!
Enjoy class! And keep on painting!

mickisew
02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi Johannes: Thank you for the lecture and demonstration today. I, for one, learn so much from the demonstrations irrespective of medium. After "Paint Stunning Landscapes from Photos", the detailed Webinars hone in on specifics and reinforce what we learned last year and then some. Exceptional teaching, my friend! Also, a big "thanks" to Patty, Ken and Judy.

donnagail
02-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Robert, I join the chorus of those saying thank you for the notes you have taken so thoroughly & for the wonderful illustrations. I have appreciated them very much, especially since I am not much at taking notes. I completely understand your "retiring" and applaud you for taking the time back as your own, unrestricted by all these expectations, so that you can enjoy the webinars and get the maximum out of them. Enjoy!

Of course, a HUGE thank you to Johannes for the teaching! I am finally at a place that I plan to buy some of the webinars and actually start trying to paint! I have a place to organize my painting materials, so now I just have to make the time to learn to do something I love.... paint!

Donna

Bjorngunnarschou
02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Roberts, thank you for all the notes that you have taken. The notes have ben weary impotreent to me. Thanks

LADickerman
02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Johannes, I took your Essentials of Painting Skies and am not taking your Waterfall class. I am so very impressed with your teaching style as well as your talent. I have just made me thirst for more. I'll be looking into your videos for sure. Thank you to you, WC and NL so much for this opportunity.
lorianne1955

Artcat369
02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Robert, Megathanks to you for your wonderful notes - the fact that you gave of your time and efforts freely is a wonderful testament to who you are...a lovely and talented person. I hope you're feeling better...enjoy your art! (and thanks for the pastel info - my pans just arrived! can't wait to "fix" all of my old watercolors I was just about to toss!) Blessings, Artcat369

Sgourlayart
02-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Jo, great course. I like your speeded up videos and the points you want to make in print overlying the canvas during the demo; very helpful. No more video glitches or complaints, all the video streams seem to be working. Thanks for all your hard work to continuously improve the courses. People may want to know that there is an app for the iPad to stream the video from Justin.TV and they can also stream it from Justin.TV with Google TV on their large screen TV if they have the Sony Google TV or the Logitech Revue box. It all comes in with good quality video and sound. Stu

SalzburgBJ
02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic License

I was wondering the same thing. I attended the photos/landscape webinars (all but 2) and 2 of the 3 sessions of the skies webinar. Now I'm enjoying the waterfalls webinar, but have somehow always missed the instructions (if any) about how one registers to receive a certificate afterwards for our "attendance/completion" of these courses.

thanks (for everything),
SalzburgBJ:clap:

Spudisle2
02-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Johannes _ thank you so much for your wonderful instruction and generosity of spirit to share so much of your knowledge. I am really looking forward to the waterfall class as this has been an area that I have wanted to paint for some time now.

Robert _ You were a master of note taking. It always amazed me how you were able to do such a thorough and neat job and sketch too , while mine looked a mess and only contained about half of what you captured. I fully unnderstand why you have decided to no longer produce them. Thank you so much for sharing and I hope you enjoy your new freedom to paint along. It will be a nice change I am sure.

Tonalist
02-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Johannes.. Superb class today.. many thanks to you.
water and water falls have always been a little weak point for me.

woody

Shadow_2010
02-11-2012, 09:14 PM
rob you are an incredible human being or just my angel for this week. You look so young for 310 yrs. old.(you must be that old to have reached the wisdom levels you have) I went and read your Jan. 31st blog and found my own answer to something I have been pondering. Retirement, the freedom to do anything I choose. Sounds great right then why am I stalemated unable to do anything. I think I know now...thank you for sharing.
After looking at my notes sans the wonderful drawings you did, I can be happy with them. I will put in the drawings when I have bought the class that goes with them. It will help me review. Stay well, keep painting, see you next Saturday! Love and appreciation Peggysue1971 ...Sue Brady

robertsloan2
02-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh purr thank you everybody! I'm very relieved now. Most of all that so many others are now taking notes!

Tips on note taking - write everything in all caps, block letters, even if your handwriting is faster. When you write fast in cursive unless your handwriting is amazing, it will get scrunched up or scribbly and hard to read afterward. Doing a few pages of it makes the block lettering routine and it starts to go faster - and then it's always legible afterward.

Even I can't write fast enough to get everything he says. So be selective and write down the things that are most new to you, most eye-opening, most important to remember. Paraphrase it so it's shorter especially if he repeats it.

Copy his diagrams and sketches, they're important.

Last, try doing tiny sketches when something would take longer to explain in words or you won't remember what the words mean. Like shapes of pine trees - drawing it also teaches your hands those shapes and it comes back when painting. Any felt tip pens will work, or use colored pencils. If you're just using a regular cheap notebook, don't bother with artist pens, just get the one or two dollar sets of children's felt tip pens in 24-36 colors from the dollar store. I've seen them for a dollar even recently.

Today... I painted. I had a wonderful time. I chatted on Justin 1 and found myself typing some of the things I'd have put in my notes. Then I painted along once he got going on the demo. I used Pan Pastels because he was using oils, I was set up for that or for watercolor if today's demo was watercolor. I'll probably block in with Pans and use sticks next week, then use watercolor when he does the third one.

My painting isn't an exact copy. I simplified it because I worked smaller and also changed the aspect ratio - mine's 8" x 10" and I did not have space to put in as much water at the base so I didn't do rocks under water in it. What I'm happiest with in it is the water and the flatness of the little bit of the pool. The whole thing looks better hanging across the room than it did when I was leaning over it. I'll see what critiques I get on it - might mat it sometime since it's coming out well.

Johannes, when you take a look at it, would you say that's a copy or just inspired by you? Should I keep it treating it as a copy or is it okay to sell it crediting that it was done during your class? Please let me know.

Johannes Instructor
02-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic License

I was wondering the same thing. I attended the photos/landscape webinars (all but 2) and 2 of the 3 sessions of the skies webinar. Now I'm enjoying the waterfalls webinar, but have somehow always missed the instructions (if any) about how one registers to receive a certificate afterwards for our "attendance/completion" of these courses.

thanks (for everything),
SalzburgBJ:clap:

I will email them when I have a break in between classes.

nougat
02-12-2012, 03:52 AM
ooh good :)

i wasn't really interested in getting certificates at first - but circumstances have changed and now i see the use for them and indeed added the 2 that you sent to my cv :) (trees and buildings)
so thanks johannes for your foresight :)

nougat
02-12-2012, 03:53 AM
robert - i'm glad you could enjoy the class :)

i would love to see your painting :)

and thanks for the tips on taking notes - they are invaluable!!

DaveGhmn
02-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Very good session yesterday, particularly the painting demo and Johannes's ongoing discussion of it.

Will there be homework?

painteriam
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks Johannes. The demo and discussion was great. I learned a great deal.

raxu
02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Robert, I need to thank you for your valuable notes - already wondered if you ever have time to paint :rolleyes: . I'm really glad you found the courage to ask yourself what you want, and to tell it all of us in such an honest way. You deserve the freedom! I saw this coming, haha, and started making my own notes already early last year with the big landscapes class of Johannes. And you know what? My English has improved, and today I can make notes in English at a speed I never thought as being possible, as my strongest languages are Finnish and German... I have still enjoyed your notes Robert, they are great.

So folks, wite down the golden nuggets if you wish, follow the classes, make the homework, buy the classes - enjoy and learn!

Johannes and Robert - you are my heros, too :grouphug:

karenlee
02-13-2012, 09:20 AM
In the waterfalls thread, Johannes posted this demonstration of the illusion of different shades.

In the picture to the left, squares A and B are the same shade, but its hard to believe, isn't it?

In the image to the right, connecting squares A and B with parallel lines of the same shade, you can see A and B are the same!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Feb-2012/45183-proof.jpg

Here's a link to the site with more information:
http://web.mit.edu/persci/people/adelson/checkershadow_proof.html

Amazing demonstration, Johannes! Thank you so much!

Johannes Instructor
02-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Here is the finished painting of a waterfall demo Johannes will be doing on streaming video this Saturday, February 18 at 2;15 PM EST. This was done with PanPastel. If you want to see how he did it. Just click go to http://improvemypaintings.com (http://improvemypaintings.com/) and click on "Watch Free Live class". Join thousands of other wetcanvas members! Johannes is an endorsed art instructor for F&W media, the publishers of Pastel Journal.
The owners of the PanPastel company will be in the text chat room to address your questions at the video link posted above.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Feb-2012/135220-Finished-Painting-for-wetca.jpg

GriselMontes
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Just went to your website and signed your guestbook....here's what i wrote:
Wow....what a journey, and i'm not talking about yours.....I just felt like i traveled in and out of places and times. Thank you for the experience. Your art is beautiful and very inspiring. I love that you paint all things and all mediums. I just started watercoloring two years ago....self-taught...and i constantly struggle because i think maybe i should concentrate on one area instead of trying to paint everything. Looking through your work just made me realize that its quite alright not to just focus on say, landscapes or portraits. I think i will stay off track and maybe someday i, too can take someone on an artistic journey. Thanks, again. (ps....i see you have quite a few paintings with guns....one of my first watercolors was of a pietta-colt...i'd love to share it with you if i can find your email address.)

Johannes Instructor
02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Just went to your website and signed your guestbook....here's what i wrote:
Wow....what a journey, and i'm not talking about yours.....I just felt like i traveled in and out of places and times. Thank you for the experience. Your art is beautiful and very inspiring. I love that you paint all things and all mediums. I just started watercoloring two years ago....self-taught...and i constantly struggle because i think maybe i should concentrate on one area instead of trying to paint everything. Looking through your work just made me realize that its quite alright not to just focus on say, landscapes or portraits. I think i will stay off track and maybe someday i, too can take someone on an artistic journey. Thanks, again. (ps....i see you have quite a few paintings with guns....one of my first watercolors was of a pietta-colt...i'd love to share it with you if i can find your email address.)
You can post your painting here in the critique section.

GriselMontes
02-16-2012, 08:50 AM
You can post your painting here in the critique section.

Thanks, Johannes....i will try that right now. Still figuring my way around this forum.

crazywoman53
02-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm really looking forward to this upcoming class especially since you are doing it in pastel. The painting is beautiful! If you have time will you please address the water before it hits the falls. I have always thought it would be more rapid but on second thought that isn't necessarily so. Would the fall look more dramatic if the water were more calm? I see in this painting the water is not rushing to hit the falls. And it seems if it is not rushing then some strong colors could be worked in to give more contrast? Thanks.. Christine

island_jewel
02-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Hi, I'm new...I just started here last week. I really enjoyed both sessions so far but I missed the homework because I didn't know it existed. The information was wonderful but I know I'll need to work with it right away in order to make it 'stick'. Where do I find a link for this week's homework assignment? Thanks a bunch Jo...this is great!

judyfilarecki
02-18-2012, 06:32 PM
You'll find the first weeks homework for waterfalls here
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1007962
The new one for week 2 probably won't get posted until Monday or Tuesday and it will probably be posted right next to the link I gave you.

island_jewel
02-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Judy
Unfortunately I work long hours during the week. Sunday is my only day to paint. I'll try last week's painting tomorrow (19th).

eslart
02-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Robert...you are so right. When you take your own notes you DO remember better. And...it also makes you pay attention to the class. So many times in the chat room I see so many folks ask a question on something that Jo has just mentioned. They should pay closer attention to what he is saying and take their own notes. I have not painted along with him because I am taking as many notes as I possibly can. And what I often do is rewrite them...then it sinks in. Thanks again for all the notes you did take and
post. I think we all appreciate what you did. Happy painting.
Eleanor:)

eslart
02-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Jo...am thoroughly enjoying this session on painting waterfalls. After todays session and your enthusiasm for pan pastels you make me want to try them.
I work in oils and have never toned the canvas using acrylics....but after watching your demo....will definitely try it. Thanks.:clap:

Sienna black
02-18-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi all, can someone tell me why a few of us had our posts with our homework pictures completely deleted from the homework thread yesterday. I only noticed when Jo said today that he got through all of them and quite a few people in the chat were saying theirs were not , mine was not there anymore.
:confused:

libby2
02-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Mine wasn't reviewed either, I really wanted feedback on it and I'm a little disappointed too.

nougat
02-19-2012, 12:52 AM
i would suggest you re-post your homework. Jo will critique it there.
it happened to me last time.

DaveGhmn
02-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Hi all, can someone tell me why a few of us had our posts with our homework pictures completely deleted from the homework thread yesterday. I only noticed when Jo said today that he got through all of them and quite a few people in the chat were saying theirs were not , mine was not there anymore.
:confused:

Sienna - there was a general WetCanvas problem at some point late on Friday. Many threads over many forums and sub-forums -- not just this one -- had posts go missing.

Apparently, all these lost threads are completely lost.

The first hour + of yesterday's session was invaluable to me, and I'll be reposting my lost homework after I've reworked it with Johannes's points in mind.

marsva
02-19-2012, 06:39 AM
My artwork from last weeks waterfall homework was also left out of the critique. I have been trying to post it in the critique area of this forum but I have had no luck uploading it. I know that the size does not exceed the limits I posted it in the homework the other day. Is wet canvas having problems? Also I notice that it offers the opportunity to put the photo in using a url, where would you put the photo on the web to get the url? Maybe that would work better. Thanks for any input. I will continue to try to upload my painting. Thanks so much to Jo for all the prep and time he puts into these classes for us. I gain so much.

Johannes Instructor
02-19-2012, 07:19 AM
My artwork from last weeks waterfall homework was also left out of the critique. I have been trying to post it in the critique area of this forum but I have had no luck uploading it. I know that the size does not exceed the limits I posted it in the homework the other day. Is wet canvas having problems? Also I notice that it offers the opportunity to put the photo in using a url, where would you put the photo on the web to get the url? Maybe that would work better. Thanks for any input. I will continue to try to upload my painting. Thanks so much to Jo for all the prep and time he puts into these classes for us. I gain so much.
It seems from what I am reading that wetcanvas lost some posts so that could be a reason wahy some of you were left out.

DaveGhmn
02-19-2012, 07:32 AM
....Also I notice that it offers the opportunity to put the photo in using a url, where would you put the photo on the web to get the url? ....

Any free photo album site, such as Flickr.com or Webshots.com, would work. Each has its own uploader, but most are fairly easy to master.

marsva
02-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Any free photo album site, such as Flickr.com or Webshots.com, would work. Each has its own uploader, but most are fairly easy to master.

Thank you Dave. I tried photobucket, but it it still didn't work yesterday morning. Maybe it was just a wetcanvas problem. I will try that again sometime.

spudsmom
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
Jo,

I was just wondering if you could please post the two pictures from yesterday's class? I absolutely loved them and want to go over them again while looking at my notes.

Thank you!

Sherri

Shadow_2010
02-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Hi, Saturday's class was awesome (as usual). Can anyone tell me if there is homework for next Saturday? If so where do I find it? Thanks a million, sue b. in Utah

carol_lee
02-19-2012, 11:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016632Link to homework week 2
Scroll down to first post!

Shadow_2010
02-20-2012, 12:05 AM
thank you Carol, I feel so dumb that I'm still struggling with this website. with any luck maybe I can slow my life down enough to get the hw done this time. Sue B :crossfingers:

Johannes Instructor
02-20-2012, 09:01 AM
Here are the photos from the video

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/135220-Finished_Painting.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Feb-2012/135220-FinishedGlacierWaterfall.jpg

Artcat369
02-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi all fellow painters!
Just wanted to say I'm finding Johannes' classes a great inspiration and motivator to improve my art. Having dabbled in watercolor florals on and off for around 7 years, I've decided to seriously focus on painting, and grow as an artist. Johannes' classes and the networking here on wetcanvas is such a great opportunity! I'm relatively new here, and intend on purchasing the rest of his landscape courses.
So, I took the plunge and purchased the Panpastels and ancillary equipment to attempt to add pastels - I found that Dick Blick had a 15% off sale; that, plus the wide array of pastel set options (other art suppliers didn't have all of the sets, trays, etc. that DB had) made the investment relatively less "painful". I went to Robert Sloan's website (http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com/ ) and clicked on the Dick Blick banner, so he would get the credit. I just felt that Robert gave freely of his time to write all of the wonderful class notes for us - so, consider doing that. Also, Johannes' 10% off of his recommended books on improvemypaintings.com helped as well. Having looked at them all, and coming from a novice landscape artist, I really gleaned a lot of helpful information from Carlson's landscape Painting, Your Artist's Brain, Mastering Composition, and Albala's book on Landscape Painting - these all had the basics one would need. I also bought Richard McKinley's book Pastel Pointers...if nothing else, I was transfixed by the "color field" beauty of his landscapes.
I just wanted to share this with other fledgling landscape painters, especially those who are aslo taking the plunge into using other mediums, like pastel. Happy painting, and will see you on Saturday!!!

GriselMontes
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi all fellow painters!
Just wanted to say I'm finding Johannes' classes a great inspiration and motivator to improve my art. Having dabbled in watercolor florals on and off for around 7 years, I've decided to seriously focus on painting, and grow as an artist. Johannes' classes and the networking here on wetcanvas is such a great opportunity! I'm relatively new here, and intend on purchasing the rest of his landscape courses.
So, I took the plunge and purchased the Panpastels and ancillary equipment to attempt to add pastels - I found that Dick Blick had a 15% off sale; that, plus the wide array of pastel set options (other art suppliers didn't have all of the sets, trays, etc. that DB had) made the investment relatively less "painful". I went to Robert Sloan's website (http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com/ ) and clicked on the Dick Blick banner, so he would get the credit. I just felt that Robert gave freely of his time to write all of the wonderful class notes for us - so, consider doing that. Also, Johannes' 10% off of his recommended books on improvemypaintings.com helped as well. Having looked at them all, and coming from a novice landscape artist, I really gleaned a lot of helpful information from Carlson's landscape Painting, Your Artist's Brain, Mastering Composition, and Albala's book on Landscape Painting - these all had the basics one would need. I also bought Richard McKinley's book Pastel Pointers...if nothing else, I was transfixed by the "color field" beauty of his landscapes.
I just wanted to share this with other fledgling landscape painters, especially those who are aslo taking the plunge into using other mediums, like pastel. Happy painting, and will see you on Saturday!!!

Thanks for these tips....i buy from Dick Blick and am about to put in another order with them. I'll go to Robert's link and buy through there. I also didn't know i could get 10% off for The Artist's Brain...another purchase i'm making this week. Great info.....thx.

Grisel Montes

Artcat369
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
hello Grisel and other painters,
Thanks I could be of assistance. Just checked, and Dick Blick is having 20% off of $150 or more...dang! I should have waited a day or too! Anyway, this sale ends tomorrow. Also, a nice friend shared a hint with me...it was more $$ to purchase the full panpastel set of 82 - so, I bought the individual sets of 20 - 20 painting colors, 20 tints, 20 shades, and 20 dark shades/shadows, and it was less! Can't figure that one out...Anyway, good luck with the order, and happy painting! I'm trying my watercolor underpainting for this week's assigment right now. :wave:

Johannes Instructor
02-24-2012, 02:49 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2012/135220-V8743.jpg

Johannes Vloothuis' Landscape Photo Reference Pack
Over the years and during all his travels Johannes has been accumulating his own personal library of reference landscape photos. From all these photos he has handpicked the best from some of his favorite painting spots. These will make good reference photos for painting landscapes. The difference with these photos compared to others is that they were carefully selected and taken by an expert landscape artist so they are very supportive in composition. Whereas as other photos by professional photographers are not taken with the intent of painting from them. That's why these photos are so special and are now available to you. By purchasing these reference photos, Johannes grants you the right to use these photos and waves the copyrights for you to use for paintings.

Click on this link to purchase:
http://www.northlightshop.com/product/landscape_photo_reference_pack?utm_source=linkconnector&utm_medium=affiliate&cid=54918

Improv
02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2012/135220-V8743.jpg

Johannes Vloothuis' Landscape Photo Reference Pack

Thanks, Jo. Purchased and downloading now. These will make a nice companion to our video lessons.

Cheers

Tonalist
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks Jo..
got them and I'm downloading them now.. I'm very stoked to have these.

woody

Johannes Instructor
02-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Here are the paintings I will do in the demo Saturday February 25
The top one is a watercolour. The bottom one is mixed watercolor and PanPastel. I am posting them early because I know some of you want to follow along. That way you can get the drawing in early.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2012/135220-Finished_Bow_River.jpg

Bow Falls, Banff

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Feb-2012/135220-Early_Morning.jpg

Twilight Wonder

robertsloan2
02-25-2012, 04:10 PM
Both of these are incredible. I love the way Pans work over the watercolor rocks, they are so much richer and more lovely than trying that with gouache.

DMTYRO
02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
in which discussion form did you post the 13 commandments -- I would sure like them again in one area so I don't have to read through all my notes
Thanks for the great classes I have sure enjoyed them

ArtbyPeggy
02-25-2012, 04:46 PM
in which discussion form did you post the 13 commandments -- I would sure like them again in one area so I don't have to read through all my notes
Thanks for the great classes I have sure enjoyed them
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949048&page=91

lilly111
02-25-2012, 07:14 PM
How exactly do you receive the certificates of completion for the last two sessions (and any other session)? I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of every online class offered by Johannes since last year. I went on improvemypaintings.com to email Johannes but that didn't work out. Thanks

Johannes Instructor
02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
How exactly do you receive the certificates of completion for the last two sessions (and any other session)? I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of every online class offered by Johannes since last year. I went on improvemypaintings.com to email Johannes but that didn't work out. Thanks
I will send an email in the next days.

uthule13
02-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Jo, I think you threw the class a curve ball with that 2nd week reference. The hangman's noose waterfall was a composition killer, and the only submissions that I liked changed the picture completely. Nevertheless, the faithful carried on and deserve a lot of credit. Kudos to you brave souls!!

Sonni
02-25-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm glad someone brought up the 13 commandments. Looking for them, I keyed in "commandments" and I hit this thread first as it was the shortest-- only 95 posts.

From this one it goes down hill... Skies with 233 posts then Jo's student question and answer with a whopping 1, 370 posts. YIKES :eek: Who in their right mind would want to trip through that many posts to find a single one? Perhaps it was yet another brilliant glitch in WC technical maneuvers.:rolleyes:

Maybe a sticky would be a simple solution? Please?

Also, could I have a certificate that says I SURVIVED VLOOTHUIS' WATERFALLS ? ? Or maybe a T shirt...

crazywoman53
02-25-2012, 09:48 PM
That's a cute idea... Jo could take everyone's paintings and put them on a T-shirt in thumbnail size.. What a project that would be? Thanks again for a wonderful class. I see a great many more waterfalls in the future to get this subject matter down. Now that we have a break from classes I'll have more time to paint and am looking forward to the next class.

nougat
02-26-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm glad someone brought up the 13 commandments. Looking for them, I keyed in "commandments" and I hit this thread first as it was the shortest-- only 95 posts.

From this one it goes down hill... Skies with 233 posts then Jo's student question and answer with a whopping 1, 370 posts. YIKES :eek: Who in their right mind would want to trip through that many posts to find a single one? Perhaps it was yet another brilliant glitch in WC technical maneuvers.:rolleyes:

Maybe a sticky would be a simple solution? Please?

Also, could I have a certificate that says I SURVIVED VLOOTHUIS' WATERFALLS ? ? Or maybe a T shirt...

a mug??? a bumper sticker??? :D :D

nougat
02-26-2012, 01:00 AM
Johannes - thanks for the great course - again :)

2 little niggles...after the painting demo, altho we could hear your voice in livestream, the screen was blank so we could not see the explanation of the commandments :)
do you think, in the next courses, you could remember to look at the livestream chat a little more frequently? i can imagine that you will be being bombarded with questions from the justin room, but we had queries too - we also shouted and shouted that we had no picture but you didn't 'hear us' :D

I (and all the others on livestream i'm sure) LOOOOVE the classes and we sooo appreciate your generosity as a teacher.
Thanks again :)

Johannes Instructor
02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Johannes - thanks for the great course - again :)

2 little niggles...after the painting demo, altho we could hear your voice in livestream, the screen was blank so we could not see the explanation of the commandments :)
do you think, in the next courses, you could remember to look at the livestream chat a little more frequently? i can imagine that you will be being bombarded with questions from the justin room, but we had queries too - we also shouted and shouted that we had no picture but you didn't 'hear us' :D

I (and all the others on livestream i'm sure) LOOOOVE the classes and we sooo appreciate your generosity as a teacher.
Thanks again :)
There were no pictures and it was basically verbal information. I did not see the need to display a written list.

Thou shalt create abstract shapes.
Thou shalt create eye flow.
Thou shalt create graceful and melodic lines.
Thou shalt variegate the colors.
Thou shalt create depth.
Thou shalt not clone.
Thou shalt simplify.
Thou shalt create gradient planes.
Thou shalt respect the no fly zone.
Thou shalt vary edges.
Thou shalt not paint dark areas that are too dark.
Thou shalt have two different sides to the painting.
Thou shalt have interest in every 2 inches.

Of course within these commandments are subindexes thatneed expansion to be explained in more detail. For example there are severaltechniques to create depth that were addressed in my Painting Stunning Landscapesfrom Photos. These simple "commandments" if you can put them on yourstudio wall andyou will find yourself repeating them every time you feel youare trying to copy the photo. The "thou shalt" makes a catchy phraseto remember them.

This is not a commandment but the secret to successful painting.

1. Create an abstract shape. When applicable the contourof that shape should be melodic and when compared the two sides of that shapeshould be visually different. Then variegate inside that abstract shape. Thencreate depth by protrusions and indentations in that shape. If applicable movethe eye in the shape.

nougat
02-27-2012, 02:01 AM
thank you johannes. :)

there was nothing to see? we livestreamers got the inpression that you were indeed showing examples.

thanks again :)

Johannes Instructor
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
thank you johannes. :)

there was nothing to see? we livestreamers got the inpression that you were indeed showing examples.

thanks again :)
Oh wait you are right I did a drawing at the end. I forgot that. Ok next time I make sure I broadcast that to you too.

nancysue10
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I have loved these classes! The last one I was kicked off the computer for the first 20 minutes of the demo. Question is how much drawing did you do and how much water coloring before applying the PP's? Also does water-coloring on Pastel-mat not destroy the watercolor brushes?

I am expecting my set of PP's tomorrow and would like to try the last picture you did, but am not sure how to start.... Any help would be soooo appreciated!
Have already signed up for the Rocks classes, and do I ever need help there.
Eager to learn as always,
Gratefully,
Nancy

lizbenn1905
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Hello,

I really enjoyed learning how to handle painting waterfalls using pan pastels. I think I am going to really love pan pastels. I am looking forward to your classes in portraits and especially when you get to the pastel segment.
Thanks for your patience and expertise.

Elizabeth Bennett
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Johannes Instructor
02-27-2012, 07:14 PM
There were no pictures and it was basically verbal information. I did not see the need to display a written list.

Thou shalt create abstract shapes.
Thou shalt create eye flow.
Thou shalt create graceful and melodic lines.
Thou shalt variegate the colors.
Thou shalt create depth.
Thou shalt not clone.
Thou shalt simplify.
Thou shalt create gradient planes.
Thou shalt respect the no fly zone.
Thou shalt vary edges.
Thou shalt not paint dark areas that are too dark.
Thou shalt have two different sides to the painting.
Thou shalt have interest in every 2 inches.

Of course within these commandments are subindexes thatneed expansion to be explained in more detail. For example there are severaltechniques to create depth that were addressed in my Painting Stunning Landscapesfrom Photos. These simple "commandments" if you can put them on yourstudio wall andyou will find yourself repeating them every time you feel youare trying to copy the photo. The "thou shalt" makes a catchy phraseto remember them.

This is not a commandment but the secret to successful painting.

1. Create an abstract shape. When applicable the contourof that shape should be melodic and when compared the two sides of that shapeshould be visually different. Then variegate inside that abstract shape. Thencreate depth by protrusions and indentations in that shape. If applicable movethe eye in the shape.
I am adding a new commandment:
Thou shalt harmonize colors.
That makes 14 so far.

Johannes Instructor
02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
I have loved these classes! The last one I was kicked off the computer for the first 20 minutes of the demo. Question is how much drawing did you do and how much water coloring before applying the PP's? Also does water-coloring on Pastel-mat not destroy the watercolor brushes?

I am expecting my set of PP's tomorrow and would like to try the last picture you did, but am not sure how to start.... Any help would be soooo appreciated!
Have already signed up for the Rocks classes, and do I ever need help there.
Eager to learn as always,
Gratefully,
Nancy
I did the shape block ins only without detail. The detail went on with the PanPastel. I only draw the major shapes. One way to visualize tghis is to pretend you surround an object with a bed sheet. You would not see what is in that shape right? Only its contour. That's what your draw.

CatherineOnTheLake
02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Johannes -- After participating with you since "Water" in December, may I humbly suggest a 15th commandment?

"THOU SHALT NOT PAINT WHAT IS IN THE PHOTOGRAPH! " --- or something similar?

16 anyone???? :)

Johannes Instructor
02-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Johannes -- After participating with you since "Water" in December, may I humbly suggest a 15th commandment?

"THOU SHALT NOT PAINT WHAT IS IN THE PHOTOGRAPH! " --- or something similar?

16 anyone???? :)
The commandments precisely sum up to getting off photo slavery.

painterted
02-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Joe, you probable have stated this many times, but I need to ask. For the color of water do you mainly use viridian green and ultra marine blue?

thanks ted

winniety
02-29-2012, 01:10 AM
"This Webinar is over"
i am late:crying: :crying:

Johannes Instructor
02-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Joe, you probable have stated this many times, but I need to ask. For the color of water do you mainly use viridian green and ultra marine blue?

thanks ted
I don't use viridian in watercolor Ted because it is grainy. I use hooker's green + ultramaribe blue + burnt sienna (knock back chroma) or instead of ultramarine and hooker's you can use payne's gray
Basically payne's gray and hooker's makes a good color for water.

painterted
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks Joe.

ted

karlenebeth
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I really learned a lot, thanks

Johannes Instructor
04-17-2012, 10:50 PM

thanks ted
Also add a little red to gray the hue. For watercolor I would use cobalt blue, or prussian blue or payne;s gray instead of Ultramarine blue because the latter is sedentary. If you use paynes then you don't need red.

painterted
04-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks again Jo, I tried those colors, the water is much better, not so bright.

ted