PDA

View Full Version : scratchboard & airbrush helmet

Rodman
03-31-2003, 07:15 PM
This is my latest helmet. I did the background like a scratchboard. It's the first time I tried to do the scratchboard thing on a helmet. It seems to work pretty good. the other parts of this job is done with airbrush and paint brush. I hope you like it. Thanks for looking. Rod-Manhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/19717-helmet_left.JPG

Dahzl
03-31-2003, 08:45 PM
Looks great Rod!

Nice design and use of color. It was interesting to view, as I have never really looked at helmets before.
Anyway I'm glad you managed to upload the image as I was going to post you on the last thread as to its whereabouts. Tricky and confusing business at times.

Well done. :D

Cheers Dahzl. :)

myorca
04-01-2003, 09:28 PM
THis is too cool!! Phenominal joB!!!!

Bob

sassybird
04-02-2003, 01:47 PM
This came out very nice. I know some BMX and motorcyclist that would love to have something like this :D

Mikey B.
04-08-2003, 10:53 PM
Hello Fellow Airhead,I'm working on a helmet myself. I was was wondering what type clearcoat you used ? I purchased top of the line Du Pont for the helmet I'm working on. Always good to get some input> God Bless Mikey B.:cat:

Rodman
04-10-2003, 08:28 PM
well..i've used a bunch of different brands. Yes, I have used dupont but, I think i like Transtar the best...well really i like nason for the base coat of clear.It seems to go on nice and thick with out too much problem with running. Then after i sand everything flat..i like the transtar for the final clear coat...both the Trans and the nason are cheaper than the dupont but, that isn't the reason i use them...i think they both sand nicer than the dupont..i hope this helps...you do wear a charcoal mask when spraying the clears? right? THAT'S BAD STUFF...Rod-Man..hey, my NEW web site is up and running,at least on the helmet part..i'll invite you to check it out at www.rodmansvisuals.com If i can help in any other way...i'd be glad to.

msue
04-10-2003, 08:56 PM
What an awesome job you did. Did you start with a black helmet or white? Paint then scratch? I find this fasinating.

Rodman
04-11-2003, 01:39 PM
this helmet was started by basing it out in silver...the graphic was taped off using 1/16" fine line tape. the( what will be later) background is covered with masking tape..then i shot the red inside the graphic.i then layed another row of tape right beside the tape that is covering the silver.this will leave a red pinstrip beside the silver one. then i shot the inside of this with pearl red, shot some red metalflake over that...i then covered the red with masking tape to protect it then ,removed the tape that was masking the background..i shot it white..rather thick with thin coats...next, i shot india ink over the white. then comes all the scratching...after that's done..i un-mask everything and shoot the whole thing with some automotive clear. i let that set a day then sand the whole thing smooth, using 600 grit wet sand paper. I then reshoot the clear and it's done. I hope this helps...Rod-Man

Rodman
04-11-2003, 01:42 PM
oooops..i forgot the flames...lol..the flames were done after the first coat of clear...maked off and airbrushed then hand pinstriped. THEN the final coat of clear....Rod-Man

msue
04-11-2003, 06:23 PM
WOW, I'm tired just from reading all that work.:cat:

Rodman
08-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Here it is tapecat

Tapecat
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
KILLER!

Dudes gotta be REALLY happy to be sportin THAT!

Rodman
08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Well. The story went. A nastruck team shipped me 3 helmets. 1 needed to be done in a hurry. The 2nd in a couple weeks and the 3rd when ever. They called on like a Friday when the helmets got here. On Monday they called and said to hold up. That they were going to move to indy car. I said I have the 1st one done! They said just ship them back. I said I wasn't shipping anything until I received payment. They said keep the helmets. I painted this one as a test to see if the scratchboard thing would work. I use it when we go rent the go-carts.

Tapecat
08-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Then you must be pretty happy with it!

lorna12
08-01-2008, 02:04 PM
That is one very very cool helmet...wow! Wonderful work!

Rodman
08-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks

PatrickHedges
08-01-2008, 08:44 PM
What an old thread!! Great to see these gems brought back from the dungeons of WC. Cool result and you got to keep it too :clap:

Diana Lee
08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Is there anything you can't scratch? Beautiful helmet!

Diana

ARTMUTT
08-02-2008, 06:42 PM
That is cool!!

Rodman
08-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks you guys. I'm working on mech-fish 7. I'm taking pix. I'l post when I can.

ElizaLeahy
08-03-2008, 06:54 AM
That is incredible work! They don't know what they are missing out on!

MychaelShane
08-03-2008, 12:27 PM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Yeah, don't know how I missed this post previously but glad to see it never the less.

did I mention how sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet that helmet is?

Rodman
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
LOL!!! thanks