PDA

View Full Version : ((Daily Wash, March 31, 2003))

Kari
03-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Good morning, all! Did everyone in Europe remember to change their clocks and be on time this morning?
Did a painting from a magazine this weekend to try out Em's underpainting technique. I liked it in just the ultramarine/alizarin combination, before I started adding color. Then ruined it adding a table for the vase to sit on and messed up the shadow. Oh, well. Will try again.
Em, after you do your underpainting, do you add colors with just glazing, or do you mix colors, painting wet in wet or wet on dry? I painted way too much with the blue and then everthing got too dark.
Does anyone have any reference photos to post that could be considered patriotic? I would like to paint something patriotic but don't have any references.
Have a nice day! I'm off to do some laundry. I painted on Saturday and my son had no clean socks this morning! Oops!

artijan
03-31-2003, 01:32 AM
Hiya,

It's been a lovely sunny day and I got the washing dry after a week of rain. Our clocks went back a couple of weeks ago so it's nearly dark at 6:30pm.

Hope everyone has a great painting day.

Jan

madmum
03-31-2003, 05:46 AM
Morning washer women and men :D

I snapped some pretty narcissi this morning in garden, please feel free to paint them should you want :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/10535-Narcissus_1_small.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/10535-Narcissus_4_small.jpg

I'll upload them all into the ref. library too.

Nothing exciting happening, still no change with MIL.

Have a good day, everyone :)

Ruth

Yorky
03-31-2003, 05:49 AM
Morning all washers! Another lovely sunny day here.

Yes Kari, managed to put the clocks on an hour:) Can't find out when/if the USA puts theirs on so I can ring my son at the appropriate time. (He doesn't know either).

Been out to the local library this morning to put up 4 of my paintings with members of the Ormskirk Artists. I didn't really want to sell my Ponte Vecchio and Staithes paintings, they look so nice on my wall, so I put a 50 price tag on them, 25 on the Swaledale Summer and 30 on the Hawes Waterfall paintings. In all there were 29 paintings there when I left, mostly watercolours.

I hope to finish off the cabbage painting today, I can't make it to my art class, the chairs are too low for my back.

It's lovely to see new members coming along, I tell everyone I meet about Wetcanvas!:)

Cheers!

Doug

PS Lovely Narcissi, Ruth and a black background to boot! :D

M.A.
03-31-2003, 05:59 AM
Good morning all! Yikes, for a minute there I was worried but then I realized we don't change our clocks until next weekend (I hope!). The narcissi are beautiful!

Have a wonderful day!

Happy Monday.

artmom
03-31-2003, 06:40 AM
Good morning!

Kari, I'll see if I have something that could be considered patriotic; if so, I'll post it:)

Jan, hope your weather will be better!

Ruth, what beautiful narcissi! A cheery start to the day--thanks.

Doug, let us know the result of the sale--and watch that back! We change our clocks in the US on the 1st Sunday of April and change them back the last Sunday in October--in some states:evil: Some of the western states don't change them.

Fun2cook--hope your day is great!

Happy painting, all!

Lyn

Gisele
03-31-2003, 08:05 AM
we're changing the clock next week-end here; that's what it says on the calendar. It will be more like spring ....I think....after that...

Gisele:)

Strawberry Wine
03-31-2003, 08:15 AM
Good Day All:

Hope everyone had a great weekend. Colder today but the snow has melted except a bit in the really shaded areas The daffodils and tulips are poking their heads up

I have 3 more post cards to put in the mail today and 2 more about halfway.

Doug: Next Sunday 2 am clocks go ahead here in Canada and in the US.

Beautiful Narcissis Ruth. Once I pratice a bit more from my new book I will head over to R.I.L. You have posted so many beauties it will be hard to choose.

Everyone have a great day as I am off to work

Gail

Little Old Lady
03-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Good day All. Those flowers sure cheer me up today.Still cold here and a dusting of snow on the ground. Where is spring.
Trying to get out a newsletter. Had to replace the black cartridge and the one I had on hand was a dud. Have to wait for the local stroe to open so I can finish.
Have a fun day whatever you plan to do.
JoAnn

mchew
03-31-2003, 08:56 AM
Hi everyone!

Beautiful flowers, Ruth... thanks for sharing.

Doug, so glad to hear you're moving about.... and painting again :)

No need for me to change any clock here... ;)

I'm trying to continue my zodiac series but couldn't find some decent pics of rabbit... found a few in the Internet but wary about copyright law. I'm going to look harder in the Reference Library.

Also, I still haven't found any good reference image for the other animals in the series... hmmm :(

bswilson1147
03-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Good Morning, everybody,

From the looks of the new posts, it's been a busy weekend for many of you.

Two interesting bits of news...got a call yesterday from a former student. She had put a painting that she did in my class in a show in her art league. (4 daffodils). It sold for $300. Cause for celebration!

My sister took some paintings along with one that I did to the frame shop. Mine disappeared, and, we think, was stolen. It had more sentimental value than anything. :p

mustcreate
03-31-2003, 10:02 AM
Happy Monday!

beautiful blooms Ruth!! thanks :)

Kari, lately, I've been adding only single colour glazes wet on dry and then letting that dry before adding another colour. But I have in the past used mixtures wet on dry as well. I hardly ever use wet in wet over an underpainting. too much colour lifts and the subsequent layers dull or muddy. Getting values correct with the underpainting can be tricky depending on what local colour will go over top. Experimenting is the best way to figure that one out. I'm so glad you gave it a try :)

Quiet weekend here. Did some cleaning with my daughter on Saturday and then we did a little shopping :) Yesterday both Karly and Ellen were home and we baked 6 dozen cupcakes and decorated them :eek: Sent some home with various friends and we will go deliver some today to cousins for a surprise visit. Should be fun :) Today Ellen and I are also taking the paintings for my June show to the framers. yikes. I cannot even begin to think what that will cost me to frame 23 paintings!! :D

I haven't painted since Friday. :( I don't think I will get to do that for a couple of days yet. Spring break here and the girls are home. But I also have some reciepts to sort through for my tax return. yuck. double yuck and groan. I hate hate HATE numbers. *sigh* I just want to paint.

Here are some yummy photos to drool over.....

have a creative day all

em
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/9879-DSC01869cupcakeswc.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/9879-DSC01876cupcakeswc.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/9879-DSC01871cupcakeswc.jpg

javierroca
03-31-2003, 10:05 AM
Good morning everybody.
Cold here in NYC, very cold, winter is back and the weekend was nasty, rain and rain no chances to go outside and do any outside work, although I spend some time indoors doing some doodles and trying to lose my strokes and making some mixing and learn about a little bit about the propieties of my colors, so when I go outside the mixes hopefully they become semiautomatic.
we will see.
Javier

Lady Carol
03-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Another day........another 2 cents.

Morning all. There is nothing exciting happening today beyond the usual work load of writing, directing experiments and analyzing data.

My watercolors are in a slump. I haven't painted anything for a week. It is interesting in that I think I have to paint. I am concerned that I haven't painted in so long (I know 7 days isn't that long) and I am putting unnecessary pressure on myself. I've surfed the reference library and although I have found some very nice photos, I still haven't picked up a brush :crying: I love WC! and maybe this adds to the undue pressue when I see how prolific some painters are...?

Am I being silly?

Lady Carol
03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
:eek: Look at those cup cakes.

Can I have one please?

jkook
03-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Good morning everyone ! Well all ready spent over an hour cruising the forum. This site is way to addictive .:D

I finished my painting the 4th of July so...........what's next ? I think another one to try and make it better or....some clear glass or colored glass . I have always wanted to try that after seeing some of Pampe's work.

Doug, good luck on your art show. I'm not sure you will be happy or sad if you sell one ? hehehe Don't push it with the bad back. We all would hate it if you had a relapse.

Morning Em, you are one busy lady ! Those cup cakes look great and so artistic . I think that's great ...being able to eat your art work.:D

Gail, JoAnn , stay warm ! Your days in the sun are coming soon.

Ruth, great photo's . I go to the ref library often to see what you have posted new. Your photos are great. Thanks for sharing.

coffee_girl3000
03-31-2003, 10:32 AM
Afternoon :cool:. Beautiful weather again BUT it is going to pour tonight! So our spell of sunshine may be over for a while. I'll miss it - my freckles are starting to show, something that doesn't usually happen until May.

Not the best day today. Within my group of friends, two of us fell out over a silly argument, so we are being divided into who supports one or the other. Trying to stay neutral but I am leaning towards one side. Hopefully will be sorted out by the end of the week :).

I haven't painted or even felt the urge since Saturday's marathon. I think I'll do something really loose when I get round to picking up the brushes. Or perhaps I'll do a floral and try Em's underpainting technique.

Mmm, cupcakes. But must eat healthily to prepare myself for skiing (less than 2 weeks now!).

Sylvielu
03-31-2003, 10:33 AM
Good morning! I hope all had a good weekend.

Yesterday, we decided to go for a drive. It was overcast in parts an d sunny in others. We drove to Snoqualmie Falls and it was unusually warm there and many people had the same idea as us.

It was our third time there and the falls were as magnificent as always. We took some photos and I hope to paint it very soon.

For now I have to do some laundry. While the laundry is going I'll start sketching.

lyn lynch
03-31-2003, 10:33 AM
8:25am SW US of A

Morning all. Kari here is photo of US Flag w/palm trees:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/16729-Flag-Palms.jpg
Here is Peace Rose:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/16729-Peace-Rose.jpg
Lovely flowers, Maddie, make beautiful painting if one can paint flowers. Sorry MIL in same condition, so hard on family {Maddie, and family}

I am still emotionally wasted after intensity of last days. Started new work yesterday and am pleased with it. Get emails from art group members...so silly issues, glad I stayed away from the show--too politically charged environment for me. Once I get patio screened in I think I will start my own art group. :D First Rule: Play nice w/everyone!

Best to all whose work sold or was stolen--all sign of good work. :D Auntie

pampe
03-31-2003, 11:32 AM
morning, best buddies

I want to be in fookie's art group...only rule to play nice...I like that

Lovely photos !!

EM...one of those cupcakes would go really well with this latte:angel:

syl...I love those falls and that whole area....when I drive to your town from my mountain...I love that pass the best of the whole ride!

Carol...feeling are never silly...when I joined WC! I was in a horrible slump.....then WC! helped me...so don't give up...maybe it is a re-charging time...those are ok too!

Sometimes we have to sit

or wait

or hold sacred space

and that's all we can do for a while

and that's ok...the Universe needs sitters too

*end of sermon*

Have a wonderful day!

Pam

BobH
03-31-2003, 11:43 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't been around for quite a while. I think that old curse "may you live in interesting times" really took hold the last few months. But things are starting to clear (I hope) and I've started painting again. I'll post some a little later. I think I'm making some progress!
What's been going on you ask? (or at least I'll pretend you asked ;) ) ... My mother-in-law had altzheimers and that downward spiral just got worse and worse and she did pass away early this year. It was very tough on my wife. I got laid off and am still out of work. I was taking a review class in mathmatics (I'm planning to get my teaching certificate) so was spending 8-10 hours daily on math for a couple months. And to top it off I contracted Bell's Palsy the week before I had to take an all day test (step 1 towards the teaching cert.) I'm still waiting for the test results. I've very worried 'cause I wasn't exactly on top of my game, physically, on test day.

However, on the good side my daughter got offered a phenomenal merit-based scholarship at a fabulous university! So there is good news :D .

It's good to be back. I've been lurking now and then but just haven't posted. I hope to participate more. I've missed all you guys.

Bob

pampe
03-31-2003, 11:54 AM
(((((BOB)))))

so sorry...we missed you too!

Little Old Lady
03-31-2003, 03:05 PM
So much going on today. Got my cartridge and got my newsletter in the mail.
Em your cup cakes are really works of art. You are talented in whatever you do.
Carol I know how you feel. Sometimes I want to paint and just cnant go over and pick ou the burshes.
Glad to have you back Bob. Looking forward to seeing your work. I am all tood familiar with Alzheimers and the horrors it creates.
Sarah that is the problem teen age girls keep getting into.
JoAnn

mustcreate
03-31-2003, 05:26 PM
Is anyone else having trouble seeing uploaded and attached images today? I can't see any of the new works posted :(

none of the tinyheads are coming through either.

I wanted to make the confused smilie.....but that didn't load either.

*grump*

is it just me?

em

MALARKEY
03-31-2003, 05:40 PM
Hi ya'll

I want cupcakes now !!!

it's so nice to hear how everybody's doing.... welcome back Bobh

I've been working hard on one painting ... I saved it yesterday from the burn pile, now I like it a lot. I should be done and will post it tomorrow... maybe even show my booboo's and how i fixed it ;)

Y'all take care, Sandy

Yorky
03-31-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by mustcreate
Is anyone else having trouble seeing uploaded and attached images today? I can't see any of the new works posted :(
.......is it just me?

em

Everything seems normal here, Em. I'm using a PC with W2000 and Microsoft Explorer 6.

Sounds as if Pam is having trouble too.

Doug

PS I'll take a dozen cupcakes :D

pampe
03-31-2003, 06:14 PM
I was having trouble

Thought it might be my cache.....re-booted and it's fine except for that first photo of PMurphy....every time I try to see it, it freezes my machine....and I have a BIG machine

Em....I don't kow...wonder if you need to check your machine before we call scott to the rescue....I seem ok now....

mustcreate
03-31-2003, 06:36 PM
I have rebooted, cleared my cookies, emptied my temp internet files and still having problems. It's not just on PMurphy's post either. The images in Lynn's new macro thread or Anita's comparison thread are a couple of examples of threads that won't fully open.

There was a thread in the Site Discussions Forum the past couple of days regarding this same thing and it hasn't been responded to by Scott.

I'll keep trying.

frustrating for sure and I had some time to comment too but it's hard to comment when you can't see the image. lol

em

Little Old Lady
03-31-2003, 07:43 PM
I had the same problem after trying to view that thread. It wouldn't load and after that nothing else showed up until after I got out of WC and came back. Can't figure what is in that thread that causes that.
JoAnn

mustcreate
03-31-2003, 07:43 PM
well I go away and do some number crunching and voila!! it works now. lol

that's it....I was being punished for procrastinating with my tax receipts :p

em

Little Old Lady
03-31-2003, 08:21 PM
when I just checked PMurphy's hibiscus and it wouldn't come completely up and then couldn't see any other images until I left WC and came back. Something funny there!
JoAnn

pampe
03-31-2003, 08:36 PM
yup, me too, gals

just that one thread

whoooo woooo woooooo:evil: