PDA

View Full Version : Pansy

JanJones
03-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Here I go again, today I decided to try a pansy. Please critique. Thank you. Jan

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2003/15484-pansy0001.jpg

wilmas
03-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi Jan :)
There good to me.I love them.
They fit perfectly on my kitchen table:D :D

Mary Smith
03-30-2003, 09:50 PM
nice flowers but you need some dark in the flower and the pot and the shadows.

surreal
03-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Very delicate and lovely rendition.
:)

chookbrown
03-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Lovely pansies..

:D:D:D

Lady Carol
03-30-2003, 10:36 PM
The almost monochromatic colors works well.

Nicely done

lyn lynch
03-30-2003, 11:57 PM
It very nice. I wqouldn't mind seeing a bit more darks, too. Like at the center of a few pansey faces. And more terra cotta bits, and yello on the pot, and strengthen the shadow.

Very nice, overall, though and I would like it, too.

madmum
03-31-2003, 02:53 AM
Very nice, Jan. I'm wondering whether you are aiming for more vibrant paintings but your materials are preventing you from achieving it? I would personally like more contrasts in the flowers and the pot/shadow.

Ruth

Astur
03-31-2003, 04:23 AM
Nice.... colors work armonioush... agree with some darks can help..

M.A.
03-31-2003, 05:27 AM
Very lovely. :clap:

artmom
03-31-2003, 06:56 AM
Very nicely rendered--but agree w/the others about some shadows and a little more color for punch:)

Lyn

painterbear
03-31-2003, 07:02 AM
Hi Jan,

The drawing of your pot and pansies is really nicely done. The colors are good too. If you look at your painting in grayscale, I think you would see it is all mid tone in value. It needs some more dark areas and a few lighter highlight areas.

Pick out one or two of the flowers and make them your focal point--where you want the viewer's eyes to go first. You have two that are a little lighter than the others already, maybe you could start there with the darks and details and see if that is enough to do the trick.

Little Old Lady
03-31-2003, 08:48 AM
Lovely flowers. Pansies are my favorite. Good advice.
JoAnn

JanJones
03-31-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. I will work more on the pot and pansy faces and maybe add some darks to some pansys. I do appreciate your comments. My paintings probably do not seem vibrant enough but I like colors that are not so bright. I just cannot get into bright colors even in my clothing and in my house. Guess I'm just drab. I love the soft colors, or should I strive to change?

artmom
03-31-2003, 11:37 AM
Jan, there is a definite difference between soft colors and drab colors!:D

You asked "should I strive to change?" That's up to you--you are the artist! Your composition and your drawing skills make me envious, but I find this painting a little "drab," as opposed to "soft." Now, this is just my opinion. I believe that you could still have a lovely, soft painting with a few more shadows as suggested, and a little highlighting of a couple of the flowers. Are you happy with this painting? If so, leave it. If not, decide what you can change and still be you. I hope you take this in the spirit it is meant; a learning tool.:)

Lyn

lyn lynch
03-31-2003, 11:44 AM
Jan, this painting is not drab. I rarely use Value 1-4 either, so my "dark" would be somewhere about a 5 on the value scale. I apologize for not having been clearer in my post.

Even just a bit of a local color wash in shadow areas would strengthen the shadow. Let it dry and apply again. I say a hit of dark in the bowl of the pansey will give it a lift. I am not advocating overall value scale of low, just a bit of emphasize.

sorry that I misled you with my intention.

JanJones
03-31-2003, 01:29 PM
Artmom and Fookie: Thanks so much for the explanation, this does help me understand. These are the kind of lessons I need. I will try to add more shadows and darks. I always take this kind of advise as it is intended so don't be afraid to tell me the way it is. Thanks again for your help.

ColorMeSunny!
03-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Beautiful pansies, Jan!:clap: Darks in the center will make them sing, IMHO.

madmum
03-31-2003, 03:08 PM
Jan, I'm glad you clarified your own personal style, now we (or I) won't offer the wrong advice :) Soft is lovely, if that is what you prefer to paint, so don't change! The world would be a dull place if we all did things the same way ;)

Ruth

ptantono
03-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Lovely Flowers !