PDA

View Full Version : Trouble applying varnish to finished piece

Cherylal7
01-22-2012, 12:01 PM
For the second time now I have ruined an acrylic painting attempting to varnish it. Both times the piece was liquitex brilliant blue and liquitex titanium white mixed to a thin consistency with water and Liq Flow Aid. I applied the individual paints and allowed them to flow all over the canvas. On had been drying for 6 days and was quite dry and the otherw was sitting for two weeks and was also dry.

I tried applying Liq gloss medium and varnish to the first piece with a sponge and the blue came off on the sponge but did not appear to smear, the white smeared and left a thing white haze.

On the second piece I used a different varnish, Deco Art Satin applied with a sponge and the same result.

Anyone have experience with this happening?

Thanks,
Cheryl

idylbrush
01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Sounds as though you may have thinned the paint to the point that the adhesion failed. When the brush or sponge was applied there was not enough adhesion to keep the pigment in place.

My suggestion would be to spray with several layers of thinned gloss medium (maybe up to six or more layers allowing each to dry before spraying the next). Then you may want to either spray or brush your varnish layer.

Cherylal7
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Thanks Idylbrush for the information and suggestion!
I have not had the same issue with paints done in a class using the instructor artists's mixture. So, I think I will add more paint to the mixtures and experiment before touching another piece that I like! I will also use spray varnish for the first few coats on pieces using this technique in the future.:)