PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot 30 March - 6 April (Water Torture)

Smudger
03-30-2003, 05:52 AM
A new week and a new riot, this week i have the honor and i have selected 2 pics to choose from, a portrait and an architectural landscape both featuring water (feel free to ignore the water if you like) showing two of it's magical properties, reflection and refraction.

For those of you new to this weekly thread, Rd2ruin came up with the idea of having a weekly subject that we all paint and post so we can compare each artist's interpretation of the subject. These are not timed paintings. They are studies of a subject.

Hope you like the pictures for this week...

The first is my Son Ben taken about 2 years ago:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2003/19369-ben-water.jpg
Larger version here: http://www.aranawebs.com/ben-waterl.jpg

and this is the Waterfront Hall in Belfast (courtasy of Joe Majury)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2003/19369-2071waterfronthalljm.jpg
Larger version here: http://www.aranawebs.com/2071waterfronthalljml.jpg

Have Fun.
Smudger

sundiver
03-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanks, smudger! They both look fun and challenging.

Dark_Shades
03-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Yup, look good smudger...... hopefully this week will be able to put more than scribbles onto paper :crying:

ginatec
03-30-2003, 04:40 PM
Hi
This was fun to do...I don't know if I have done that little beauty justice or not!!:D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2003/14534-baby.JPG

Dark_Shades
03-30-2003, 05:05 PM
This is really good Gina...... and Im still giggling ;) ..... I like how the hand and lower body goes all wibbley wobbley .. definately get a sense of being underwater .... cant wait to try it myself as well .....lol.... painting that is .... not going wibbley wobbley underwater....

Ohhhh eck Im *giggling again :D

Smudger
03-31-2003, 03:06 AM
Gina, how quick off the mark are you! :D you have indeed done him justice and i glad you enjoyed it i was a bit worried that the water would scare people off.:clap:

Dark (the giggler) Shades... are you sure that was just a vitamin pill you took this morning?

ginatec
03-31-2003, 08:51 AM
Goodness D, I am still giggling about last night and now you go all Wibbley Wobbley on me!!!:D :D
Thanks Smudger...he was so adorable I tried to capture the water as best I could...this is only my 4th attempt at pastels and it leaves a lot to be desired.

Smudger
03-31-2003, 12:11 PM
this is only my 4th attempt at pastels

now i'm really impressed!:clap: :clap:

butterfly
03-31-2003, 12:23 PM
Smudger:

What an adorable little boy! I'm a little timid about painting a portrait of someone someone knows (what if I don't capture the likeness), but I'm scared to death of the ellipses of that building and reflection. Guess the whole point of this exercise is to learn so I'm willing to give them a try.

Now which one I post may be another story.

Thank you for allowing us to try your little boy, he's adorable!

Butterfly/Roni:rolleyes:

Drumbeat-trish
03-31-2003, 01:14 PM
Both fabulous pics smudger but OHHHHHH SCARY SCARY !!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Smudger
03-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Oh guys, please don't be scared... just have fun:D

Dark_Shades
03-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Well I dont know how Gina worked so fast....... Ive just spent what seems like a couple of hours on mine..... just looks all smudgy..... ohhhh erm :D hee hee

.... will have to work on it again tomorrow :(

ginatec
03-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Dark_Shades
Well I dont know how Gina worked so fast....... Ive just spent what seems like a couple of hours on mine..... just looks all smudgy..... ohhhh erm :D hee hee

.... will have to work on it again tomorrow :(

I had a mask and snorkel D...just go with the flow, Whibbley Wobbley hey ho!!:clap:

Mo.
03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Sheesh Smudger.... Interesting pics...do you generally take delight in dishing out torture :D:p

These look very challenging...not for the feint hearted hey?

Gina : You are off to a flying...mmm swimming start, Love your painting, you've captured everything so right there..even the wibbley wobbley bits. :D it's Excellent! :clap: :clap:

Mo.

ginatec
03-31-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks so much Mo!

guilliame
03-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Hey Smudger,had a burst of energy tonight and decided to try little smudge:D started around 5.30 and worked until just gone 8 the time seemed to fly by couldn,t believe that was the time when i looked at the clock,had to quickly wash the pastel dust off grab a snack and a cup of tea and put my feet up fot the inspector lynley mysteries,when it was over i tried to restart but my energy bubble had burst so i thought i would post now in case i dont do anymore this week as i have 2/3 others on the go.just need to work on ben and that hard to do rubber water ring behind him:D

Smudger
04-01-2003, 03:31 AM
well done guilliame, little smudge is great :clap: but if you think painting the rubber pool is hard you should try inflating it on a hot summers day after several large Rum and Cokes:D

Dark_Shades
04-01-2003, 03:20 PM
Well second night and Im still working on the wibbley wobbley bits :)

will work on this some more...... Im finding it a real challenge to get the effect I want....... thanks Smudger

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2003/12116-Pool.jpg

Smudger
04-02-2003, 03:08 AM
Looking good DS... cant wait for the finale:D

sundiver
04-02-2003, 07:19 AM
Look at all these wonderful portraits and wibbly wobbly water!:)
I tried a cropped version of this little cutie in oil pastel, and decided to also try a complementary underpainting with pastel pencils. Uh-huh. Are you familiar with Van Gogh's green baby? He was obviously experimenting with colors too. Uh-huh. Little Smudge The Alien Baby From Mars, I call it. Don't know if I'll post it. I'll try to human-ize it a little tonight.

BTW, the April Monthly Pastels Project is now on!

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by sundiver

BTW, the April Monthly Pastels Project is now on!

been and signed up :D .... did you put a thread in the pastel forum too, telling everyone?

looks great Sundiver

ginatec
04-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Great work on little Smudger Dark-shades...the wibbley Wobbley water is looking good as well!:D

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 11:14 AM
well this is it, I cant seem to get any further than this

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Apr-2003/12116-Pool.jpg

bnoonan
04-02-2003, 12:17 PM
These are wonderful - Dawn I like that wiggly wabbly w... painting. ]

Guillaume you are quick! Excellent work. Looks like you've been doing a lot of painting lately.

Gina - nice job and only your 4th piece. Wow.

Gotta agree that the water is feeling a bit daunting but what the heck - think I'll jump in the pool.

Barb

Smudger
04-02-2003, 12:27 PM
Dawn thats superb, you have captured him brilliantly and i love the way you handled the refraction of the water, especially the way you handled his little toes sticking out of the water.:clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
04-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Smudger
Dawn thats superb, you have captured him brilliantly and i love the way you handled the refraction of the water, especially the way you handled his little toes sticking out of the water.:clap: :clap:

thanks Smudger...... was trying to get the knee out of the water too, but it all kept smudging :) ... found the water a real challenge, and would like to try it again sometime.....

good challenge.... well done to you for selecting it

ginatec
04-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Great! You made a good job of this D. I agree the water was a challenge, but it was fun!

sundiver
04-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I let this sit overnight, which seems to make it easier to add more oil pastel, and went over the green baby with lots of pink.I did not do this adorable little boy justice, but at least he's not green any more. Well, not very.

ginatec
04-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Looks good to me Sundiver and a remarkable likeness to little Smudger. Only on thing...I would have really loved to see the green version. Sorry...I mean this in the nicest way as I am learning Pastels at the moment . I have had years of working in oil...and pastel is a challenge, so it would have helped !

Dark_Shades
04-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks Gina.......... Hey what you going to line up for next week :D

..... really good portrait Sundiver..... love the expression you got there and the teeth ...... I dont know why you dont do more

Mo.
04-03-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by sundiver
I let this sit overnight, which seems to make it easier to add more oil pastel, and went over the green baby with lots of pink.I did not do this adorable little boy justice, but at least he's not green any more. Well, not very.

Great little portrait sundiver, reckon you ought to do a WIP in those oil pastels, I'm still struggling with them. :)

Love everyone's little smudgers and wibbley wobbley bits.

here's another one to add to the gallery, soft pastels 45 mins. 9x12

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Apr-2003/5154-ben.jpg

cheers,
Mo.

Smudger
04-03-2003, 01:38 PM
sundiver and mo... fantastic work:clap: :clap:
i wonder if i'm the only person who has chose the other picture to try:D

Mo.
04-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks Smudger, I'm thinking about it...but every time I look at I see a flying saucer...you know that big one from the film..can't remember the title . :D

cheers,
Mo.

ginatec
04-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Great work Mo...did you do this in oil pastels?

Dark_Shades
04-03-2003, 04:39 PM
nice one Mo.... :)

Mo.
04-03-2003, 06:24 PM
Gina.. thanks... this is soft pastels :) It's been a while since I've used them. I have new set of Terry Ludwigs, which I'm itching to use. :)

Dawn: thanks although the colours are iffy especially the hat which has come out totally black. :)

Mo.

Dark_Shades
04-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Mo.

Dawn: thanks although the colours are iffy especially the hat which has come out totally black. :)

Mo.

ya alwasy gotta use iffies with wibbley wobblies..... didnt ya know :D lol

sundiver
04-04-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Mo.

Great little portrait sundiver, reckon you ought to do a WIP in those oil pastels, I'm still struggling with them. :)
Mo.

Thanks, Mo. But a WIP might seem to imply that I know what I'm doing. Which I don't. It's all trial and error. But I'm going to keep it up because at least they aren't dusty. Last night I worked on a sketch for the weekly sketches thread, in pastel pencils, which aren't too dusty. But then I got out the soft ones for about 15 minutes and forgot to put on a mask...woke up choking and wheezing in the night. *^&%#$! And I've been saving up for some Terry Ludwigs..............:(
Your portrait's great, hope the dust wasn't a problem for you!

But hey! It's Friday! Who's going to volunteer to find a couple of images for the next Pastel Riot?????

Mo.
04-04-2003, 08:42 AM
Sundiver, I appreciate what you mean, it's a bit trial and error with me too, bought some oil boards this morning so going to try them out later to see how they fare with the oil pastels, have tried the oil pastel paper, can't say I liked it much. BTW the Terry Ludwigs are extremely dusty. :)

Dawn, Now I know where I've been going wrong all these years, forgetting to combined all my iffies and wibbley wobbleys. ROTFLOL! :D

Cheers,
Mo.

E-J
04-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Wendy ~ lovely little portrait you've done there in oil pastel. I agree, I think a WIP/demo with the green underpainting would be a useful addition to Dick's 'Oil pastel info' thread. I'm finding it's all trial and error with the op's too... then again, I'm finding that with the soft pastels too :rolleyes:

I haven't commented much on the Riots as I'm not participating in them... but there are some great pictures coming out of them so I thought it was about time I stuck my nose in :) Mark's truck [was that in this thread or was it last week's? Sheeesh talk about dazed and confused] was also superb! Well done everybody. You're braver than I am :D

louiethe_cat
04-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Hi Smudger,
you have a handsome little boy there!:clap: And if I were better at it, I would try painting him with no problem, but the thought of it makes me nervous, I keep putting off a portrait I should be finishing soon, have to get the lead out!:D He is adorable though, and Mo, what a nice job!!:clap: Perfect likeness,and you got the sun shining on him without a doubt! :)

bnoonan
04-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Well I have to say... painting water isn't my favorite thing. But placing a baby inside the photo helped tremendously.

Thanks for the challenge. Yikes - it was a long hour.

Barb

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Apr-2003/13264-kid.jpg

Smudger
04-06-2003, 08:19 AM
hey Barb... i love it, in fact i love them all!! but then i suppose i would being the doting father i am.
Just sat down and showed them all to little smudge and he gives them all a big thumbs up.:clap: :clap:

i'm a bit sorry nobody tried the other pic... well actually i did but only got as far as blocking in the sky!! and i thought last week was bad:(

Anyway great work everyone, who's the victim this week??:D

sundiver
04-06-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by bnoonan
Well I have to say... painting water isn't my favorite thing.
Barb

Well, Barb, you may not have enjoyed doing the water but you sure conveyed it well in just a few loose strokes!
Ok, so far we've had Greg, me, Mikki, and Smudger put up images for the Weekly Riots....who's next? It's easy, you can just find something from the Image Library.
Whooooooo are you? Whowhowhowho?

butterfly
04-06-2003, 04:52 PM
Well I have to admit ... it wasn't that EASY ... I mean how can we compete with the original artists (little smudger's mom and dad) I know I have some more work. But a great learning experience for me. Thank you.

9"x12" Bienfang Paper NuPastels
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2003/19725-Ben#7.jpg

PS Don't want to impose, but ...I could post a picture of a newborn fellie and her mom. We're kinda into horses around my house and she was born two weeks ago. She is cute, (but also ugly) don't tell Gracie (her mom) I said so !

butterfly
04-06-2003, 04:58 PM

Butterfly/Roni

Dark_Shades
04-06-2003, 05:01 PM
butterfly...... no pic :crying:

butterfly
04-06-2003, 05:06 PM

I'm doing something wrong will have to post later ... I'm doing everything right as far as the uploader but it comes out with this little red "X" any suggestions?

Roni

sundiver
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Could be the file's too big?
A horse mom and baby sounds neat. I've never tried doing a horse. I say go for it!

Dark_Shades
04-06-2003, 05:10 PM
R U Copying and pasting the full address of the image into the thread?

you may have part of it missing........ make sure it starts with [img] and ends with [ /img]

Dark_Shades
04-06-2003, 05:15 PM
make sure the image is saved as a file type something like ......

.jpeg
.jpg

or
.gif

butterfly
04-06-2003, 05:21 PM

It says I copied it correctly maybe its the original file done wrong I will also post the horse see if that works and what you think

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2003/19725-#5.jpg

butterfly
04-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Checked with my husband said that there is something wrong with the internet cable server possibly too many people on line and the images can't go thru ...

Its only 16KB and I saved it under jpg ... we have a dinner date and I have to get ready I will try later ...

Thanks everyone Roni

butterfly
04-07-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm trying again using the "browser" button at the bottom of this window and not the uploader

Here goes:

E-J
04-07-2003, 10:35 AM
B/Roni ~ nice one :) I'm impressed by how well everyone's captured the likeness.

Smudger
04-07-2003, 11:06 AM
butterfly...fantastic:clap: :clap:

someone please start a new riot i don't want to be remembered as the one who killed off an entire weekly project:o :o

butterfly
04-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Smudger:

Thank you for your comment on my picture.

How about something like this for a new thread in this riot

After I get back from my daughters college with stuff she "must have" before the weekend, I will try and take some more pictures at the barn of both the fellie and the mother and we could try that for the riot.

How about it?

Dark_Shades
04-07-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by butterfly
I'm trying again using the "browser" button at the bottom of this window and not the uploader

Here goes:

good one butterfly....... love the colours of the water too ...... horsey looks great...... very unusual markings...... need very clear pic as is black ...... so hard to see :cool: :D

guilliame
04-07-2003, 02:57 PM
Butterfly,well it was definitely worth the wait,its really good you have the likeness and i love the hat:D ,in fact i think that everyones painting of little smudge are great so everyone deserves a :clap: :D

ginatec
04-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Butterfly..it was well worth waiting for:D A good likeness and I love the way you did the hat.

Just thinking it's nearly Easter...so why not an Easter theme for the next 'Riot'?

butterfly
04-07-2003, 05:39 PM
Gina:

I like your idea of an easter theme much better than the horse, since I couldn't get her away from her mother to get a clear shot (because her head is completely black). I will have to do it with a 35mm camera not digital and that won't happen until after easter so I really like your idea!

How about everyone paint something that has to do with this holiday season whether Easter or Passover or would that be in the weekley pastel thread instead of the riot

Oh well I'm trying ...

Thanks everyone on your comments on Little Smudger It was a real learning experience for me. And I am still painting too "pastelly" if there is such a word. That's why I joined the Pastel Project for April to try different methods.

Thanks again,
Butterfly/Roni

sundiver
04-08-2003, 07:05 AM
We're sheep, Roni. (artistic sheep, hopefully) Post a picture and we'll paint it! :D I for one was prepared to try that horsie you already posted..I just lightened it a bit with my graphics software so I could see it clearly and it's fine.