PDA

View Full Version : Roman Holiday

artmom
03-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Roman Holiday

9 x 9 1/2 Arches 140 not W&M

My son took this picture when we were in Rome, 20 years ago. Photo not particularly good.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2003/11722-Coleseum_Arch.jpg

Here's the painting--comments, critiques welcome. Thanks.
Yellow is not quite as bright in reality as on scan.

Lyn

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Mar-2003/11722-Roman_Holiday.jpg

andylavallee
03-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Hi Lyn , not the easist reference picture or subject.I think you need to darken openings just above yellow band, the tunnel your in appears to be to uniform a colour, the bricks need to have more varity of colour I think. other than that perspective and depth seem fine to me. you have captured the roundness very well:D

frieda_maye
03-30-2003, 06:57 AM
Hi Lyn,
I think its really good that you take on things that require your brain to fill in what you imagine to be there, i truly appreciate this and feel it must be a tremendous learning experience.

critique: i think it would look better if the lines at the back wall werent uneven. At the bottom i am not sure if that is a brick wall or cobblestone path. If it's a path, the perspective on the stones would get thinner i think as the went back.
otherwise, i think you did a good job achieving the sense of depth and perspective, like Andy said.

ive realized that some who ask for feedback dont really want it...i really hope youre okay with this. anyway, im just a beginner so i really dont know much:)

lyn lynch
03-30-2003, 11:59 AM
There are some good suggestions for you already, lyn and in my brain-drain morning I don't have anything else to add....

Except, this is a wonderful reference...no matter its quality...now is time for your artistic license to take over and insert how you 'see' it. I like the repeating shapes of the arches in main and far of the colisum--I am in love with curves and love to see them repeat. Many paintings from just this reference...many little crops to make more. I suggest you think of series using just this reference---use different angles, vary palette just a bit in each one. Wonderful reference. Keep working it, all sorts of learning things in there: curves, straights, bricks, add curved brickwork to arch, even grass and tree or two to courtyard, suggest break in building foundation and show beginning of tree coming up, flower stuck in broken bit, etc. Make it an interpretation from the actual artifact. Lots of fun for you if you can forget this actually Roman Colisum....

ripvanblair
03-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Good start Lyn, only thing is I would like to see the tunnel darker, then the rest will pop out at you-------well done----------Alan

artmom
03-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Andy--thanks for the suggestions--and for looking!

Frieda--I'm not sensitive at all--when I ask for critiques, I really mean it:D I've only been working in watercolor since January, with no lessons! BTW, that's supposed to be a brick wall.:o
Thanks.

Auntie--what a great idea--my mind immediately started clicking w/images. Thanks for taking time to look and comment.

Alan, thanks for looking and commenting. I agree!

Lyn (The other Lyn, Auntie!)