PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant in Victoria, BC

Sylvielu
03-29-2003, 10:52 PM
I did this today from a photo I took in Victoria, BC. The food was GREAT! (13 courses.) It's on 1/2 sheet of 300lb cp paper.

It's getting late in the evening and I am too tired to touch it up. tomorrow I will look at it again. I think the shadows are a bit dark.

lyn lynch
03-29-2003, 10:58 PM
I took kids out for dinner tonight so I am 'relating'...can barely keep my eyes open.

This looking good Syl. I like to see less emphasizing on the red outline of the door and window. Unless, this is prelim and you are going to over-emphasize them. Door on left side bldg, is more what I mean; although, Like to see less continuity of middle separating line.

Some uneven touch downs of dark bits in the tower windows give depth, too.
I look in again tomorrow....

painterbear
03-30-2003, 04:41 AM
I like this, SylvieLu, it has a sort of fantasy, dreamlike quality to it because of the architecture and the colors. I think the perspective is tilted in places which adds to the fantasy.

Will be interesting to see how you finish it. Fookie has given you some food for thought on where to go from here.

frieda_maye
03-30-2003, 06:36 AM
I like it especially because of the "dreamlike fantasy" quality that painterbear mentioned:)

Sylvielu
03-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks for your thoughts and comments and will welcome more! I looked at it and saw that the handrail was not right. I also softened the red some but I will do more this morning.

This restaurant is kind of shaped like the taj mohul in Inida. The ref photo only showed a fraction of it that might be why it looks off.

rks
03-30-2003, 06:13 PM
I really like the lines of this painting.

Did you say a 13 course Indian dinner? I'm drooling. I live close to Victoria, B.C. but don't recognize this restaurant. Do you remember its name?

Roberta

Nitsa
03-30-2003, 06:39 PM
The food was GREAT! (13 courses.)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uschi
03-30-2003, 07:27 PM
Doesn't look "off" to me, I like it!!!!!
Uschi

ripvanblair
03-30-2003, 07:56 PM
13 courses? good stuff! I like the painting as well:cool: :rolleyes: ---------Alan

pampe
03-30-2003, 07:58 PM
yum to the food and the painting

good suggestions from Auntie

Little Old Lady
03-30-2003, 08:06 PM
Lovely painting and I am getting hungry.
JoAnn

Alan Cross
03-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey cool thats a block away from where I teach!
Alan :)

Sylvielu
03-31-2003, 10:45 AM
Thanks all for looking. This restaurant is not far from China town in Victoria.

I also should have said that it was a couple of years ago that I ate there! The waitress and host were very formal. Actually we got an extra course because they accidently brought us something extra so I should have said a 14 course meal. The courses are not large.

alan I hope you have been there since it's close to you. Victoria offers a lot to photographers as well as painters.