PDA

View Full Version : oil pastel

Sueb
03-28-2003, 11:27 AM
9x12 wallis paper, Caran Dache & Sennelier. Just finished an 8 week class in oil pastels. Love the medium!

sweetiness
03-28-2003, 11:36 AM
This is nice. I really like the way you use color.
One thing, shouldn't we see more shadow from the leaves and branches?

Sueb
03-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Sweetness,

Thanks for looking. I think maybe I was concentrating on the light/dark contrasts and lost a little detail in the process. This is a new medium for me. Do the shadows look better in this one?

BTW..I really like your work too.

Sue

sundiver
03-28-2003, 12:26 PM
These are beautiful!
You took an 8-week class in oil pastels? I am soooo envious! I've never even heard of a class in oil pastel.
Please share with us what you've learned. :)I'd LOVE to see progress pics of one of your landscapes.

angeline
03-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Sue they are both lovely pictures and you use of colour is pretty.
Just another note for the 1st pic...........the bench looks like it's 'floating' it needs legs at the back i think.

Sueb
03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. I had noticed that there wasn't much information about oil pastels in the forum. I'll be happy to share whatever I know. Just ask.

sweetiness
03-28-2003, 01:13 PM
Sueb, another very lovely painting! The dappled sunlight and shadow effect on the ground is breathtaking! Again, your use of color is enviable. I wish I could interperate colors this way. Maybe one day.
Thank you for the compliment. I have learned quite alot from this website. Can't wait to see more of your work!:)

Sueb
03-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Angeline, I think it's the perspective that's off as the bench is on some kind of metal pipe. Perspective is a challenge for me, always!! Thanks for looking.

Sweetness, Thanks again. I too have learned for everyone here at WC.

Sue

BTDogMom
03-28-2003, 02:05 PM
This is beautiful!!!!! Sue, I love them both, but the light coming thru the trees on the 2nd one is just gorgeous!! Thanks 4 sharing with us!!! :D:D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sueb
03-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I feel very welcome in this forum.

Mo.
03-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Hello Sue... Your skills with the oil pastels are to be greatly admired, these paintings are really lovely... I'm currently working with oil pastels too, Caran D'ache and Senneliers, I used them a long time ago before reverting to oils, and now I've picked them up again..... a very interesting and challenging medium...you are doing excellently with them. Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
Mo.

Sueb
03-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Thanks Mo. I also work in oils and I took this class only because I admired the artist/instructors use of (1)color & (2) light and I was hoping that I could learn to translate it into my painting. The class far exceeded my expectations and I really took to the medium. I'm still going to work with the instructor on a sort of private basis for a few more weeks.

I'll be on the lookout for your work. Not many working in oil pastels. I started out with the Caran D'ache, next tried Cray Pas, Sennelier and now Holbeins. I like the Caran D'ache and Holbeins the best. I want the really BIG set next.

Thanks again, I'm sure I can learn from your experience.

Sue

E-J
03-29-2003, 06:07 AM
Very lovely colours, Sue :) The Caran d'Ache are great, aren't they? I have their Neopastels, Neocolor & Neocolor II crayons and Supracolor pencils ~ used to have their gouache in pans, too ~ they make superb materials. Oil pastels seem to be enjoying an increase in popularity on this forum. Thanks for sharing yours!

louiethe_cat
03-29-2003, 11:49 PM
These are really nice Sueb, I thought the second was going to be a rework of the first one, but it looks like a completely different painting, they are both quite nice! I have been seeing a lot of people using oil pastels lately, I've never tried them, maybe someday, I guess I would like to master (as much as possible) regular pastels, and improve as an artist. A couple years ago I tried watercolors, yow, what a flop. And the money I wasted. I could have bought the whole Terry Ludwig pastel line! Good and expensive learning experience LOL, Anxious to see more of your oil pastels! Alan

Artaholic
03-30-2003, 02:42 AM
Sue ,a beautiful impresionest work. Wonderful colors!!I admire your style.
:clap: :clap:

Dima
03-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Very nice paintings, Sue.
I like your style very much, partly impressionistic and partly expressionistic.
There is indeed little or scattered info on oilpastels and you are invited to have a look at the thread oil pastel info and see what can be done about that.
I would to see you do a demo with steps.

Dick

Sueb
03-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Dick, Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am just a novice. I was just looking at the tread you started and agree that more information is needed on the medium. I'll slip back over there and post what basics I know.

Sue

Dima
03-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Well you are a very good novice then, Sue.
I am a novice myself as my experience with oil pastels now amounts to two or three weeks and four pastels.
Not as colourfull as yours, though.

Dick