PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen the Sistine Chapel?

the drover's dog
01-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Thought you might not have seen this. http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

Hold down your left mouse button and look around.

Enjoy.

Dale

Potoma
01-17-2012, 07:25 PM
I went last summer and too my binoculars. Looks very different with 1000 people in the room!

the drover's dog
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
That's what I thought was so nice about this view. No hordes of the great unwashed to hide stuff.

Do you know that it's cheaper and easier for you to visit Italy than for me to visit Queensland, Australia?

Dale

bluefish
01-17-2012, 10:20 PM
that's because we just have to row across the pond.......:lol:and cruise ship prices to tour that coast line have gotten dirt cheap.......:lol:

allydoodle
01-18-2012, 01:32 AM
Thank you Dale, that was a nice treat! I needed a mini vacation, it was like a private tour! :lol:

Lynndidj
01-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Chris - for 6000 Euros you can actually have a private tour - we had to go with the rest of humanity! But it was a beautiful sunny day and so everything was beautifully bright and colorful and amazing. I did get a serious crick in my neck from gazing up the entire time ... it is no wonder Michelangelo was permanently disabled after painting the chapel. He did not lay on his back as I always thought. He cricked his neck back and looked up and painted!!!

Thanks for the tour Dale!! You can't ever get enough of great art!!

Lynn

Colorix
01-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Thank you, Dale. Really nice to see an overview without at least 1000 people and immovable guards who hush you.

Do take a look at the paintings around the walls, they're not by M, and much better. As Raphael said about M: "It is good to know how to paint muscles that are contracted, and it is even better to know that not all muscles are contracted simultaneously." If you look at the Last Judgement, somewhere in the center is a skin without meat and bones in it literally hanging around -- that is M's self portrait. I mean, with that kind of self-image... His paintings lack spirituality. Pricy overrated wallpaper. ;-)

allydoodle
01-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Thank you, Dale. Really nice to see an overview without at least 1000 people and immovable guards who hush you.

Do take a look at the paintings around the walls, they're not by M, and much better. As Raphael said about M: "It is good to know how to paint muscles that are contracted, and it is even better to know that not all muscles are contracted simultaneously." If you look at the Last Judgement, somewhere in the center is a skin without meat and bones in it literally hanging around -- that is M's self portrait. I mean, with that kind of self-image... His paintings lack spirituality. Pricy overrated wallpaper. ;-)

I never knew that Charlie. I just Googled it and found a closeup, ewwwwww! That just puts a new spin on the whole thing doesn't it? Not that his art has ever been a favorite of mine....... Interesting nevertheless, history always is....

Colorix
01-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Sorry, I think I'm raining on the parade a bit, with history... somehow reality is so fascinating, and sometimes better than fiction! Actually, M himself sort of agrees with not being a great painter, he grumbled over having to paint the chapel, "I'm a sculptor", he said, and complained about having to sling paint. There are hints that he actually was ordered to paint it as a penance, for having been too close to men.

DBfarmgirl
01-18-2012, 06:42 PM
I've never seen it, I did enjoy your link.
Funny, the Sistine Chapel has been showing up a lot for me lately- 2 movies, a catalog for work clothing (Adam is wearing jean shorts!) and now here.

bluefish
01-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Charlie

you amaze me.......whatever the subject, you are have a better than average knowledge of.......and that's why I highly respect and solicit your input on a variety of subjects......thanks for sharing so much with us.....

'when Charlie speaks, the world listens'.........:thumbsup:

DAK723
01-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the link!

Well, this may be the first time I've disagreed with Charlie about anything :eek: , but in my humble opinion, Michelangelo's paintings in the Sistine chapel are among the greatest figure paintings ever made. Their power and glory are almost without peer. As for the other paintings in the chapel - yes, they are quite nice....

And that's the great thing about art - everyone tastes, likes and dislikes are different! And they should be!

Don

robertsloan2
01-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Wow! Thanks for the link, Dale! I got dizzy looking at everything, it's very cool.

LOL Charlie, the stories enhance my experience. I do like the paintings on the sides quite a lot. I think I'd need binoculars to really appreciate the ceiling, that and the expensive tour so that I don't get trampled by all the crowd. Very cool to find it online. I'm going to have to look up the Michelangelo self portrait, it sounds interesting.

I'll have to check on it tomorrow, forgot about Wikipedia protesting SOPA. But they'll be back tomorrow and I'll definitely want to see what Michelangelo painted as his self portrait.

Found the image on another site and it was fascinating. Beautifully done and a clever concept. I've got a strong stomach, it's an interesting way the artist depicted himself.

SherryC
01-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Don I totally agree. I am blessed to have been there to see it several years ago. It was so magnificent that I simply stood there with tears as did many of the others in the group. One gets the deep feeling that his hand was guided by more than innate artistic ability and his goal was not technical perfection.

Colorix
01-19-2012, 06:52 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jan-2012/117343-Michelangelo_self.jpg

Horrid self image. At least, seen through modern eyes. Not sure what they thought at that time.

And look at Mr Universe holding it, he could become a govenor. :)

Don, actually, you've disagreed with me before, once. :D "Better artist" depends a bit. Some can be technically highly skilled, but have less heart. And some can have big hearts and less skill, and I tend to like big heart more, and therefore say it is "better".

Blue, I happen to have studied art history at Uni. As I was interested, some things stuck and can even be retrieved from memory (although those old files are not entirely compatible with today's brain model, so they're somewhat thin and ragged edged).

It is established that there was a controversy during the Renaisance/Renascimiento. The whole idea of a re-birth was to bring back the glory of Rome and Greece, and in that package the pantheons were included, and so was philosophy. And magic. Of course it was controversial at that time.

M was of that way of thinking, while Raphael was not, nor Leonardo, a bit earlier. Intellectuals, powerful people, and artists, they took sides. There is a plethora of interesting statements in the paintings that clarify the standpoints of the artists. It is no chance that I chose to copy Raphael for my christmas card, as his standpoint fit the theme.

Michelangelo is bringing in the pagan into the Vatican, which was quite clever of him. Those were odd times, with many corrupt rulers, ecclesial and temporal.

But, I'd better stop now, or this will become a paper... where I show images proving my points, quote authors, and add foonotes. :eek:

the drover's dog
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Did everyone discover they could zoom in and out with their mouse scroller or the little + or - gizmo in the bottom left corner of the screen?

Dale

bluefish
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
would make an interesting painting for the group here to do and post......."Charlie On Her Soap Box".........:lol: