PDA

View Full Version : Odd shaped canvas

Painter Snoopy
03-26-2003, 08:40 AM
Have any of you ever streched your own odd shaped canvas? If so I would love to see them. Here is one that I submitted for a juried show in school. It won the college purchase award and student's choice award. I think I need to do another one. It has been awhile. Talk about an infrastructure. It has a bunch of support bars in the back.
Steph

guillot
03-26-2003, 08:49 AM
I voted no. I haven't tried this :D

Beautiful painting BTW!!

Tina

loop
03-26-2003, 09:10 AM
well detail detail how big is this strange shaped canvas.

and if you want weird shaped canvases have you given any thought to masonite or hardwood...you wouldn't need all of that infrastructure

Painter Snoopy
03-26-2003, 09:14 AM
It is 4x5 feet and that is a great idea!

artbabe21
03-26-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by S_Forbes
It is 4x5 feet and that is a great idea!

woohoo, that's a lotta stretching...I'd go the panel route myself...
nice work!

loop
03-26-2003, 01:50 PM
"woohoo, that's a lotta stretching"

your not kidding there...

of course now there is the frame problem as well

BTW the painting itself is very lovely (at any shape)

Tay
03-27-2003, 12:38 AM
S_Forbes,

I think your painting is super. In my more crafty days I painted on many different shaped items. I liked circles the most. None were ever as big as your piece though. I have also stapled canvas to a wall to paint murals of differnt shapes: against a slanted ceiling, around a corner, and with an arched top.

I'd like to see more of your work.

ginatec
03-27-2003, 12:15 PM
That's different from what I have seen before, when I voted i was thinking square so that was a surprise! Nice work as well...so big! You need a big house to hang that. One question...did you frame this or paint the edges of the vanvas? I think it would be a lot harder to frame than to stretch.

Painter Snoopy
03-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Thank you all for your comments. This painting has gallery deep sides and I painted them sort of black. It is not framed and hangs in the college library cause it won the college purchase award. It used to hang in the president's office but he had to share. LOL I love the idea of using all different shapes. When I have more time I am going to have to play with that.:)
Steph

David O
04-08-2003, 11:02 AM
This guy does seriously odd shaped canvases;

Nathan Jensen (http://www.arthive.net/art/artists/Jensen/purchase/image-html/95shybaby.html)

Donna A
07-06-2006, 11:08 PM
Beautiful painting!

Seems to me, as long as the shape of the canvas is part of the composition and the concept of the painting, it works. When someone uses it as a novelty and perhaps a "one-trick pony"----well, another thing. Your work here is quite lovely! Donna ;-}

TinaD
10-18-2006, 01:56 PM
I love square canvases...i also set all my paintings up so they don't have to be framed unless someone wants to, personally I hate frames..although my mother loves them, so i have forgiven her for framing some of my pieces:D

Ive known two artists who painted on salvaged wood, one destroyed the edges the other painted on all sorts of items. Anselm Keifer does some pretty funky paintings that aren't "regular" shaped as well

Shehaub
10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
This guy does seriously odd shaped canvases;
Nathan Jensen (http://www.arthive.net/art/artists/Jensen/purchase/image-html/95shybaby.html)

That link did not work for me, but I googled this :
http://www.natespace.com/

Is this the guy you are talking about?

tach
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
i have some ovals made up and waiting for design and paint, they fit some antique frames i bought . linen stuck to MDF or hardboard .i figure the design will have depth .

avigayil
10-28-2006, 05:16 PM
My personal preference is 60x60cm MDF

I do give my students usualy standards sizes because I don't want to impose more expensive frames on their parents :rolleyes:

NancyMP
02-24-2011, 06:26 PM
I think your painting would have won the award even without the odd shape! It's balanced nicely, painted well, and has appealing subject matter!