PDA

View Full Version : Question about toning wallis paper

bnoonan
03-25-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi there,
I understand there are several ways to tone wallis paper and I'm wondering who could help me with this.

One option is to do this with acrylic and then I think they add some alcohol to the mixture or something? Anyone have any idea?

The other is gouache or watercolor but I'm not sure how diluted or if I need to add something else too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Barb

CarlyHardy
03-26-2003, 01:20 AM
I haven't tried this on my Wallis paper but I've toned watercolor paper by using a nupastel and scumbling lightly over the surface, then I used alcohol (because it dries fast) and brushed it over the surface thinning and spreading the nupastel like a wash. Because alcohol dries quickly, you do get some streaking.

You can do this with Wallis using turp or water. Wallis paper won't separate if you use water on it like some sanded papers.

I've also painted a watercolor wash over paper, then used pastels on top of that...I like the abstract look of the texture over the smooth.
If you use acrylics, keep it thinned to a transparent wash. Acrylics form a plastic finish when the paint is thicker and wouldn't give much tooth for pastels to adhere to. Using Wallis, an acrylic wash would be fine since the paper has a lot of tooth.

carly

...and don't add alcohol to your acrylics...thin them with water.

bnoonan
03-26-2003, 02:11 AM
Carly - thanks so much. I'll give this a try in the morning.

Barb:)

bnoonan
03-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Carly,
I'm also in search of the acrylic toning process since a friend of mine uses it and then if she doesn't like the painting, she can just hose it off the wallis paper and start from scratch again. she does it all the time. The acrylic seals the paper with it's plastic finish and you have a brand new sheet of paper (well almost).

If I get the recipe from her, would you like it?

Barb

Nodosaurus
03-26-2003, 11:45 PM
I took a workshop from Kitti Wallis a couple of years ago. She always uses watercolor on her paper, and required it as part of the workshop. The issue of using acrylics wasn't raised, maybe next time. I'm sure she feels watercolors are superior for some reason, she didn't seem to do anything arbitrarily.

-Randy