PDA

View Full Version : Mid Summer

Enid Goyers
01-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Hello,
I am still doing in clouds and have experimented, maybe this time, too much. Anyway the sky close to the horizon is, what I think, lacking of dynamic and I messed up the two trees (must exercise trees). If you have any suggestions to make, please let me know, I will be grateful for your help.
Have a good weekend.
Enidhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2012/133937-K640_IMG_0814-002.JPG

Karen70
01-14-2012, 03:20 PM
Looks ok to me, I'd say the clouds are fine. But if I am to be very, very critical, maybe a little more texture or slightly darker on the grassy area on the bottom right would finish it off, leading your eye into the picture, because at the mo they're stopping at the shadows under the trees.
Well done.

Aires
01-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Nice painting, perhaps a few tweaks would make you happier with the overall effect? The upper clouds look very billowy and real but I think you might be happier with blending out that small bottom cloud so it is more of a streamer or less definite. Perhaps the lower horizon area is too blue -- usually you're looking through a kind of saturated smoggy area as you transition down to the horizon line so that may be what is bothering you? Trees are not perfect in nature, I think they are okay but might be improved if you overlapped the first larger one to avoid any hint of the old "kissing" taboo. Just my observations -- I think a few small, easily done tweaks would make you a very happy painter. A few darker tufts of grass in the lower corners might give more weight in the foreground, that's an old masters trick to give the impression of a frame within a frame so the eyes remain centered on the focal area. Just my two cents worth and take it as that. Thanks for posting and don't let it be the last!!!!

Enid Goyers
01-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Nice painting, perhaps a few tweaks would make you happier with the overall effect? The upper clouds look very billowy and real but I think you might be happier with blending out that small bottom cloud so it is more of a streamer or less definite. Perhaps the lower horizon area is too blue -- usually you're looking through a kind of saturated smoggy area as you transition down to the horizon line so that may be what is bothering you? Trees are not perfect in nature, I think they are okay but might be improved if you overlapped the first larger one to avoid any hint of the old "kissing" taboo. Just my observations -- I think a few small, easily done tweaks would make you a very happy painter. A few darker tufts of grass in the lower corners might give more weight in the foreground, that's an old masters trick to give the impression of a frame within a frame so the eyes remain centered on the focal area. Just my two cents worth and take it as that. Thanks for posting and don't let it be the last!!!!
Hi,
Thank you for your comments and I will certainly have them in mind when I will start my next work. Question: Should I overlap the right tree by pulling the left one to the right? And one more question: how do I remove the small bottom cloud without damaging the trees?? I am a novice with acrylics and I do not know about all the trics. Thank you again.
Enid

Enid Goyers
01-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Looks ok to me, I'd say the clouds are fine. But if I am to be very, very critical, maybe a little more texture or slightly darker on the grassy area on the bottom right would finish it off, leading your eye into the picture, because at the mo they're stopping at the shadows under the trees.
Well done.

Hola Karen,
Yes, I will get the corners on the bottom a little bit darker. Thank you for the hint.
Enid
temp. at the Costa Blanca

susme48
01-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Enid, you are doing marvelous with your cloud, IMO, I wish I could get mine to look like that...lol. A few quick fixes and you are definitely 'there'!!

Aires
01-15-2012, 12:50 AM
The lower cloud is not a fatal flaw, just not quite in keeping with the quality of those nice big billowing clouds that so beautifully fill your sky. You can very well leave it as is and leave it to your next painting to try another approach. It's been my experience that you can go back to tweak a dry painting using either a fine mist of water in the area you want to work in or you can use a medium. Either one lets you work without leaving hard edges behind. As long as you keep the paint moist, you can wipe it off and be back to where you were when you started. I've had very good luck with a liquid clear product that is slower to dry and allows one to rework without it showing when dry. There is also a liquid white but the clear seems to me more useful for reworking or tweaking. Why not try a test run on something you don't care about to find which method works best for you? We all have to do tweaks and reworks from time to time so it is helpful to find out which method works best for you. If it were me, I'd just add a few leaves on the backside of the larger tree, making it slightly overlap the back tree in a few places in the mid range area of the tree tops...sort of filling out the front tree on the sunny side .. I hope I've not discouraged you, I think a painting that's well done is well worth a few tweaks to make it even better. As before, just my two cents worth. Keep painting and posting, your talent shows clearly.

Enid Goyers
01-15-2012, 09:46 AM
The lower cloud is not a fatal flaw, just not quite in keeping with the quality of those nice big billowing clouds that so beautifully fill your sky. You can very well leave it as is and leave it to your next painting to try another approach. It's been my experience that you can go back to tweak a dry painting using either a fine mist of water in the area you want to work in or you can use a medium. Either one lets you work without leaving hard edges behind. As long as you keep the paint moist, you can wipe it off and be back to where you were when you started. I've had very good luck with a liquid clear product that is slower to dry and allows one to rework without it showing when dry. There is also a liquid white but the clear seems to me more useful for reworking or tweaking. Why not try a test run on something you don't care about to find which method works best for you? We all have to do tweaks and reworks from time to time so it is helpful to find out which method works best for you. If it were me, I'd just add a few leaves on the backside of the larger tree, making it slightly overlap the back tree in a few places in the mid range area of the tree tops...sort of filling out the front tree on the sunny side .. I hope I've not discouraged you, I think a painting that's well done is well worth a few tweaks to make it even better. As before, just my two cents worth. Keep painting and posting, your talent shows clearly.
Hello again,

Don't be mistaken I value your advice very highly, I depend on it to a very great extent! I will experiment a little bit or try to "hear" you when I paint next. Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Enid

OkeeKat
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Love your clouds, great work!!
great landscape,, few tweeks and it really will stand out.
darker darks and brighter hightlights.

I'd leave the clouds and sky as they are.. no the sky isn't too blue, I've seen it like that.. upper sky can be more deeper blue and lower more green/blue like. Most times the skies, take note alot when you are out.. are mostly blue and as they go to lower towards the horizon are so pale they are almost a whiteish blue/gray.
tip.. many times to push distant trees and mountains into the distance you can put a wash of a pale whiteish blue/green over the green and give it more of a bluegreen which looks farther away.
Your trees in the distance look farther as the building is so tiny, so leave it as it is.
As for the Closer trees and bushes behind I think you might need to add a little bit more color.. like yellow green for the brighter highlights and brighter green for the medium highlights.. surely you can add it to the right branches of the left tree and give it the appearance to being closer then the right tree, and add it to the right branches of the right tree too, as the lighting appears to be coming from the right.
add some blades of grass infront of the trees, shorter infront of the right tree and taller in front of the left tree will show more distance between then, as well as some blades of grass around the foreground.. shorter in the distance and taller as you come closer, more defined in the bottom right corner.
The row of bushes behing the trees can use some darker darks along the bottom and inbetween some branches, which will give the make the lighter colors stand out more.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WoRK!!!

DAK723
01-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi Enid,

This painting looks perfectly good to me! The trees, sky and grasses are very well painted!

Don

Enid Goyers
01-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Thank you all - I am working on your ideas and advices.
Enid

Enid Goyers
01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2012/133937-K640_IMG_0826.JPG Thank you all - I am working on your ideas and advices.
Enid
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jan-2012/133937-K640_IMG_0826.JPG

Hello,
Hope this version is better.
Thank you again.
Enid

valliebeth
01-18-2012, 03:00 PM
The improvement to the trees is wonderful! And the touch of added darkness to the front corner balances the colors out really nicely.

Aires
01-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Bravo, Enid! Isn't it amazing how even a few tweaks can improve even a good painting? I look forward to your next post..... happy painting.

skappy
01-20-2012, 02:46 AM
NIce painting Enid lovely warm light
Robert