PDA

View Full Version : illuminating manuscripts

thepenartist
03-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Does anyone in this forum do illuminating?

thepenartist
03-24-2003, 09:09 PM
Here is an illumation of the letter P.

jjsangel
03-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I do a little. Haven't done anything quite that fancy. Here are a couple of examples. What are you looking for??

jjsangel
03-24-2003, 11:12 PM
And here is a letter S. I also have a couple of pictures posted here in Pen & Ink with letters and dragons.

thepenartist
03-24-2003, 11:13 PM
Where can I get the letter templates?

jjsangel
03-24-2003, 11:18 PM
What do you mean letter templates??

thepenartist
03-24-2003, 11:21 PM
Do you draw the letters from memory? The "P" was someone else's design, I just colored it in. Where can I find more letters? I know there are different ones from different time periods. Do I look up history of illumination and get letters from history books? Where do you get your letters to illuminate from?

jjsangel
03-24-2003, 11:30 PM
I have several books that I get Ideas from.

Illumination, A source book for Modern Calligraphers by Christopher Jarman. ($29.95)

The Illuminated Alphabet *An inspirational introduction to creating decorative calligraphy by Timothy Noad. ($24.95)

Illuminated Initials in Full Color *548 Designs selected and arranged by Carol Belanger Grafton ($9.95)

I like the last two best. The last one has each letter of the alphabet in several different designs (10 to 20) and I just take what I like from other ones or ideas I get from them all to make the letters I want. Hope this helps

jjsangel
03-24-2003, 11:31 PM
Oh, the second one has really good descriptions on how Illuminated letters were created and some nice examples of how they are done. Very nice book.

thepenartist
03-24-2003, 11:32 PM
thanks so much, I will check these books out.

sassybird
03-25-2003, 02:43 AM
I have seen a lot of this type work, and I find it beautiful. I'm going to have to put that book on my list.

BTDogMom
03-25-2003, 02:05 PM
I take it illumination is a fancy colored and extravagantly decorated calligraphic type of lettering? Whatever it is I really like what I've seen here on the WC and the one you colored is very pretty - jjsangel always does real pretty ones like this http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96220 :clap::D

Dave.t
03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
'The Art of Illuminating' by WR Tymms has an interesting range of letters plus some borders. The letters are from Europe and cover the period from sixth to sixteenth centuries...historically interesting. Has 100 colour plates. ISBN 1851700455.

I hav'nt tried illuminating...but hope it give it a try one day:)

thepenartist
03-25-2003, 06:21 PM
Thanks, I will check out this book also... WC! is such a wonderful place. I haven't been anywhere else on the web and found such a nice group of artists. The information here, and the threads of messages inspires me to create more pieces. Thanks to all on WC!

jjsangel
03-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Here is a copy of a page from the Illuminated Initials Book

jjsangel
03-26-2003, 10:00 AM
And here is a page from the Illuminated Alphabet Book (the second one I mentioned)

jjsangel
03-26-2003, 10:10 AM
Oh here is a copy of a K that I did for my cousins little girl (her name is Kamron) and she likes cats. It was done in different shades of pinks and greens.

BTDogMom
03-26-2003, 10:38 AM
WOW! That's really nice, Sharon!http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2003/18803-clap.gif:D

jjsangel
03-26-2003, 10:48 AM
Thanks BTD. And thanks for giving penartist the link to my Illuminated Mask...You are always so nice...:)

thepenartist
03-26-2003, 01:32 PM
WOW! thanks.:clap: :clap: :clap:

yoyita_yoyita
03-29-2003, 10:40 PM
I did a border for my website and have been looking for the letter "Y" examples. Thank you for posting some of the books. The border is made with watercolors over bristol and the powered bronze over it to imitate metal, it doesn't show in the picture.

Yoyita (http://www.yoyita.com)

jjsangel
03-29-2003, 10:50 PM
You're very welcome. This is beautiful work. I hope the books help...:)

thepenartist
03-29-2003, 10:56 PM
Yoyita, that is so good! I love it.... there sure are alot of talented people on wetcanvas!

kitaye
03-30-2003, 01:42 AM
Another place to look for Illuminated lettering is the Book of Kells. It has recently been reprinted due to the interest in Celtic Lore and History. Beautiful work shown here so far.

yoyita_yoyita
03-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Dave.t
'The Art of Illuminating' by WR Tymms has an interesting range of letters plus some borders. The letters are from Europe and cover the period from sixth to sixteenth centuries...historically interesting. Has 100 colour plates. ISBN 1851700455.

I couldn't find that book, it is out of printing. Could anybody show me some examples of the letter Y?

Thank you.

Yoyita (http://www.yoyita.com)

Dave.t
03-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi Yoyita,
The book does have 100 colour plates but most contain only a few letters......have made thorough search of book and come up with only one "Y". This dates back to 12th century and is the work of Henry Shaw. It is thought to be the link between the round open lettering of the 11th century and the square or gothic letters of a later period.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Mar-2003/16662-Y-wetcanvas1.gif

Hope this may be of some use.

jjsangel
03-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Here are the Y's from my Illuminated Initials book. Hope this helps.

gaugin
03-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Wow, I'm just floored.
Amazing work from all of you. And great references for resources.
I worked as a sign writer for many years, and enjoyed it.
But never approached typography this way, you have really renewed my interest in it.
Looks like this forum is off to a great start.
:clap:

Merry Scribe
03-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Wow, I'm just floored.
Amazing work from all of you. And great references for resources.
I worked as a sign writer for many years, and enjoyed it.
But never approached typography this way, you have really renewed my interest in it.
Looks like this forum is off to a great start.
:clap:

I hope you visit here often I am a calligrapher and I want to learn illumination. I am just now starting to get into doing border on my pieces and it I could learn illumination then my peices would be that much better.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scribe:wave:

prairie painter
03-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Dover books has a few really good ones on illuminated letters. The newest versions of some books (including at least one by the author mentioned above, Grafton) come with a CD so you can print the line drawings off.
For me, the whole point of doing calligraphy is to get to do the illuminations, lol! Though some day when I have the time and the layout firmed up, I'm sooo looking forward to doing Jabberwocky in scratchy letters. Ahh, someday...

Alex22
09-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Here is a copy of a page from the Illuminated Initials Book

Oh,yes! "Illuminated initials in full color" by Carol Belanger Grafton is a real treasure.

remclave
11-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I have a book on Illuminated letters.

I read somewhere recently (when I find the source again, I will add that info) that the illuminated letter will actually reflect the content of the passage. From what I've seen, that is the case.

remclave
11-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Learning to do illuminated letters is one of the reasons I joined WC. :D

pat6
11-13-2006, 02:42 AM
IH I am new to this .my grandaught is just starting to learn CALLIGRAPHY is there any one that can help with the best books to get or a starters project that I could print out for her. hope some one kind can help me .pat6 thank you

Merry Scribe
11-13-2006, 07:54 AM
IH I am new to this .my grandaught is just starting to learn CALLIGRAPHY is there any one that can help with the best books to get or a starters project that I could print out for her. hope some one kind can help me .pat6 thank you

The best book to get for a beginner to learn calligraphy is call "Lettering & Calligraphy Workbook" by The Diagram Group. This is an excellent book for beginners then you should follow up with "the Calligraphers Bible 100 complete alphabets and how to draw them" by David Harris. These are the to best book to learn calligraphy on your own. I still use the "the Calligraphers Bible" almost every day in my work. It is a very excellent calligraphers tool more so than the nibs and nib holders.

I hope that I have been able to be of assistance to you and your grandaughter. An welcome to the WC calligraphy forum.

I am The Merry Scribe and I am glad to help in any way that I can.

Blessed Be

Brian

scribblet
11-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Another good one is by Patricia Carter - The Art of Illumination
and by Margaret Morgan - Bible of Illuminated Letters.

Sumariel
11-13-2006, 05:46 PM
If you are just wanting alphabets to practice with, here is a link where you can import old alphabets, lets you practice until you can get your own books.

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/Search/?kw=alphabets

"the Calligraphers Bible 100 complete alphabets and how to draw them" by David Harris.

That book just got put on my Christmas list!! Thanks for the reference!

Suzi

pat6
11-14-2006, 03:35 AM
thank you very much for your help team I do appreciate pat6

alibluemoon
11-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I just started learning about calligraphy and illuminated manuscripts. It's funny, you think being a lit major I would have been interested in them a long time ago...LOL.

I agree about the Calligrapher's Bible by David Harris and also Bible of Illuminated Letters by Margaret Morgan. I stumbled upon these books in the art section of Barnes and Noble one evening. Both books have excellent illustrations and information about the process of calligraphy and illumination. They have representations of medieval work as well as beautiful modern work.

I think I will try to pick up a few of the other books recommended in this thread.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

PS. All the work displayed in this thread is gorgeous! Bravo to everyone. I can only hope to be as good one day.

Merry Scribe
11-15-2006, 11:24 PM
I just started learning about calligraphy and illuminated manuscripts. It's funny, you think being a lit major I would have been interested in them a long time ago...LOL.

I agree about the Calligrapher's Bible by David Harris and also Bible of Illuminated Letters by Margaret Morgan. I stumbled upon these books in the art section of Barnes and Noble one evening. Both books have excellent illustrations and information about the process of calligraphy and illumination. They have representations of medieval work as well as beautiful modern work.

I think I will try to pick up a few of the other books recommended in this thread.
Thanks for the tips everyone.

PS. All the work displayed in this thread is gorgeous! Bravo to everyone. I can only hope to be as good one day.

Welcome to the WC and the calligraphy subforum I hope that we see some of your work here. We always interested in new calligraphers.

adaus
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I do illumination. I have three various types of metal leaf, along with several bottles of india inks which I incorporate in my art. Both of my jounals are illuminated. I would post a pic, but I am too lazy right now.

RachelFlyer
12-12-2006, 06:40 PM
I would post a pic, but I am too lazy right now.

Hey, no fair dangling that in front of us and then denying us a peek! :lol:
Rachel

MONISTROL
02-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Dear friends I just joined to WC some days ago and it's great. Even though I earn my living by plumber I spent more than ten years in illumination only for my own pleasure. You can see my illuminations at www.arteilluminandi.com
I'll be in touch. Bye to everybody

MONISTROL
02-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Here you can see the steps to paint a Capital with fifigree, I hope will be useful to everybody. Byehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Feb-2007/100523-IMG_0006red.jpg

TessDB
02-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Delicately & beautifully done! I'd love to see some detail pics if you'd like to share. :wave:

Tess

DSPIT
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
This a really interesting thread, tons of great info and great pieces, such detail. Makes me want to add some to a piece I am in the midst of, (that is really already over burdened with detail:D )

so, I am imagining, there is a right and a wrong way, with the statement that, there reeeally isnt a wrong way depending on what your goal is. if your goal is to do like it was done way back, then there is a wrong way. if you want to design your own, there is almsot no wrong way.

Does that make sense to anyone. I said it and it barely makes sense to me.

(Btw Tess, that is what is taking so long on the other piece. keep changing, lots of detail. )

MONISTROL
02-07-2007, 05:35 PM
I hope now the size will be big enough
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Feb-2007/100523-IMG_0006red2.jpg

TessDB
02-08-2007, 06:48 AM
(Btw Tess, that is what is taking so long on the other piece. keep changing, lots of detail. )

Well stop it, Bob! :lol: Pick & choose... can't fit *everything* into one piece!

Josep-- It looks like Wet Canvas automatically resized the image for you... and made it the same size as the first post! Regardless, I really like seeing how other artists develop their ideas. Thank you for sharing yours! What are you working on now?

Tess