PDA

View Full Version : Cold and Clear Serenity, Mimbres Tributary

coulter
03-24-2003, 07:54 PM
Here's my sad tale of woe. Went down to Phoenix to see a spring training baseball game but it rained for two days, then as we were heading home, there was a snow storm in Denver that closed all roads leading to and from it for days. We poked around southern New Mexico and I took what photo's I could when it wasn't snowing or raining. Came home and got stuck in the street three houses away from my driveway, shoveled for two more days, then painted this..... 16x20 o/c

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2003/6690-newmexico_stream2.jpg

I don't think it turned out tooooo bad.....so all comments are welcome! :D

Mark

katz
03-24-2003, 11:06 PM
I really like how you painted the water and reflections. What medium is this? Very nice painting.
Katz

artinoils
03-25-2003, 02:48 AM
Love that water...nicely done. Sorry your plans went awry.

MarshaSavage
03-25-2003, 06:05 AM
Mark,

What a tale!

You did a beautiful painting, the colors are absolutely stunning.

The only thing that bothers me, is the reflection of the three tree trunks in the water. They don't really seem to line up with the trees - mostly the one on the left. And as the stream recedes, I am unsure of the olive green reflection showing at the back in the water. What is the reflection of? Or maybe it is not a reflection, but the muddy side of the bank?

Even with these comments, if nothing ever changed, you have a beautiful painting.

MageofGondor
03-25-2003, 08:42 AM
Very nice!! I like the hazy effect on the background, and the reflections as well. Excellent job especialy concidering your snowy ordeal you have been through!

Helen Zapata
03-25-2003, 09:08 AM
hehehe.. see, artists must SUFFER to advance their Art!

If you wanna get REALLY good... come on back to Phoenix this summer!

I still love this painting. :)

coulter
03-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Thank you Katz, it's oil on canvas.

Thank you Susan! and we're already laughing about it :D

Thank you Marsha, based on your advice, I made the reflections in the back pool sharper, the tree is another thing LOL, it's supposed to be a reflection of the tree on the upper slope but then I went wild with the scrub tree by the rock on the left and it now looks like the reflection belongs to that tree, sigh...

Todd (Mage), thank you!

Oh Helen, I will be back (perhaps not in summer) we've driven down the past 4 years each spring for a baseball game and to visit my parents who winter there. I love all of it! But especially the drive over to Wickenburg, I really wanted to get my camera over that way this year, but I guess I'll have to wait til next.

Mark

JamieWG
03-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Mark, I'm sorry you had to go through such a difficult trip back, but you sure did get a good painting! Hopefully that made it all worthwhile. :D

Jamie

coulter
03-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Thank you Jamie! it wasn't all that tough :D LOL!

Mark

Dave.t
03-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Hi Mark....nice job as always .
Particularly like the colours of water and rocks..a nice glow of light which is set off by the lovely blue green tress in the background.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PS I was in Pheonix last October and it was in the 90's :D

coulter
03-27-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks Dave!

Originally posted by Dave.t
PS I was in Pheonix last October and it was in the 90's :D

Now there's a tale worth hearing, a Welshman in Phoenix!

Mark

ripvanblair
03-28-2003, 07:52 PM
This looks good, there's a nice peaceful solitary feeling in this painting, well captured-----------Alan

USA
03-29-2003, 06:05 AM
Nice work, especially the small rocks and reflections in the water near the foreground.
www.mybrushwork.com

HRobinson
03-29-2003, 10:15 AM
... be careful that the grass doesn't "grow" in the same direction as the tree trunks. This painting shows that you are developing a unique style which is a great accomplishment in the "art" world. You've also captured the essence of what it was that you intended to paint, which is again, a great accomplishment. Your color choice was good. Regarding your recent troubles: C'est la vie.

nsullivan
03-31-2003, 11:17 AM
what is the texture? Just the canvas? How thickly do you apply the paint? Very nice...

Nicole

coulter
03-31-2003, 08:31 PM
oops

coulter
03-31-2003, 08:37 PM
Perhaps this is a better image......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/6690-Dsc00419.jpg

Thank you Alan and Dave,

HRobinson, good observation about the grass that no-one else has had before, I have taken note. And thank you for looking and commenting.

Nicole, I think what your seeing is the pattern in the gesso. When I gesso a canvas, I use 3 or 4 thick applications of gesso (acrylic kind) and sometimes I experiment with creating texture in the last application with the brush. Sometimes it's more interesting than the canvas weave. I've tried to show some of the other texture in the painting where there is very thin paint next to very thick goopy paint, with this detail....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Mar-2003/6690-mimbres_detail_1.jpg

Thanks!!
Mark