PDA

View Full Version : any tips on using a pressure roller

DuncanBerenice
03-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi folks,

I had an attempt at a monoprint last night. What I did was use some of my sketches and laid them underneath a piece of perspex, then painted my colours on top. I then laid my paper over the top and used the pressure roller to make the print.

I used oil paint straight from the tube, what I found was that I had to re-lay my paper on top of the perspex, and re-roll. Should I have used thinners? I then did a second and put too much oil paint on the perspex and it all squished out :rolleyes: :D My 3rd attempt I found that I had more paint adhere to the paper, I did have to re-roll a couple more times but not as much as the 1st time, infact, I ruined the 1st attempt by doing some extra rubbing using a palette knife :eek: So I've learned from that one :D

I'm reading a book on Monoprints at the moment and enjoying it. I'll post my monoprint as soon as it is dry.

I forgot to mention, my paper is for oil painting and is fairly firm, it has a canvas texture, but one side is more textured than the other. My 1st monoprint was done on the more textured surface and the 2nd and 3rd were done on the less textured side - I'm more happier with the 3rd.

Duncan

sassybird
03-25-2003, 02:39 AM
I have never used oil paints to do monotypes, but it would appear to me that the oil should be the consistency of printmakers ink, covering all areas you want covered in an even layer, avoid globs or raised areas of oils. The hand pressure roller is mainly meant for relief printing. It would be very difficult to keep the pressure high and consitent. I wish you luck.

I do however do a lot of watercolor monotypes. They are painted from a simple wash to rich glazing. I check the plexi coverage by holding it up to a light. I soak my paper, blot it to get the majority of the water out, and then I do the print on the press. The mositure in the paper is what picks up the watercolor. Since I also use oil based inks in my intaglio work I know that the paper picks up the oils better when wet than dry.

If you are doing these monotypes with the pressure roller I hope you have beveled the edges of your plexi. Otherwise the plexi can cut through the paper.

Let us see you results. And please let us know what you did to come up with a good print using this method. There are lots of people that can not afford presses, and this information will help them.

Little Old Lady
04-01-2003, 09:01 PM
I recently took a class using oils for monoprint. You get much richer color with oils. the colors do have to be brayered to get good consitency and we used burnt plate oil to thi to make painting easier.
I just used print paper. I would think it had greater absorbency.
Wetting your paper would also help get a better image.
Here is one little one I did
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Apr-2003/7714-4-tigre255.jpg
JoAnn

DuncanBerenice
04-02-2003, 06:57 AM
Thanks for your replies :D

Sassybird, I cut my paper to fit the size of my perspex, I tape off an inch around my painted area and then take off the masking tape just before I roll. I've got some paper that is for painting acrylics on, I was thinking of using this instead of my oil painting paper - it's to get rid of the texture, maybe I should buy some printing paper :rolleyes: :D

Little Old Lady, thanks :D but 1 question: what is 'brayered' and what is 'burnt plate oil' I'm not sure if I've read about them yet :D

I've tested my monoprint and it feels dry to touch so it should be safe enough to scan, hope to do that tonight and get it posted

Duncan