PDA

View Full Version : Naomi and child oil pastels WIP

Mo.
03-24-2003, 02:04 PM
I've had to lay off the dusty pastels for a while so trying out the oil pastels...not that easy...this is as far as I reached with this and would love some feedback...still lots to do...but the background is bugging me, the ref photo shows dark green foliage...what would you suggest as an alternative?

Thanks for looking...your comments are valued.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Mar-2003/5154-Naomi_and_daughter..jpg

cheers,
Mo.

angeline
03-24-2003, 02:31 PM
I think this has a lovely feel to it.......gentle.......would the background maybe benifit from having some of the other colours used in the rest of the picture ?......looking at it a purple colour would really set the peice off........there again I could just be talking a load of rubbish???????????
Best to wait for someone who really knows what they are talking about..........lol

BTDogMom
03-24-2003, 02:58 PM
IIt's lovely lovely lovely - I don't know but the 1st thing I thought of when I looked at your picture is a very deep bugundy or deep red. But I don't really know what I'm talking about either so....

Anyway I really love it and am awed that you did this with oil pastels - very very nice!:clap: :clap: :D

Nori
03-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Mo I actually like the green background and the way it sets off the skin tones and hair colour. Your painting has a John Singer Sargent feel to it. Your skill with the oils is admirable.

Smudger
03-24-2003, 03:27 PM
I've had to lay off the dusty pastels

Has the hoover broke?:D

I think this is a stunning first go at oil pastel, you should be proud:clap:

guilliame
03-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi Mo,you are just as good with these oil pastels as you are with soft and i like what you have achieved with the skin tones and the fabric of the nightgowns,and that little lacy bit bottom left nice,you also have a hint of green thro naomi's nightdress and forearm which helps your background colour,you probaly know that cooler daker colours recede or move into the background and i think this green does that,did you do the background colour last?,what was the colour of the paper and what did it look like against that,also if you know how to do it i certainly dont:confused: pm a computer whizz on how to put a copy into a paint programme or photo shop and then i think you can change the background colour to any colour you want:D gee this is a blister on my finger ishould have just said i like your painting:)

Mo.
03-24-2003, 06:30 PM
angeline and BTDog Mom: Thanks, yes you could both well be right deep burgundy/purple both sound good colours,
I'm still a little uncertain what to do there, but your suggestions are good. :)

Nori: Thankyou for the lovely compliment, thing is the green here doesn't look correct, the hue is different here, even though this was taken in daylight.

Smudger: :D..... I wish! :D..... LOL!...It's the dust...affecting my asthma problems. This is not my first ever oil pastel painting, although it's been many moons since I painted seriously with them.
:)

Guilliame:....Thanks my friend.... You have a keen eye. I do have software programmes that I can use.... why do I always forget about them?:D Thanks for reminding me...this could save me hours of agony. :)

Thanks again everyone. Hope to update tomorrow.

Cheers,
Mo.

doe
03-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your asthma, Mo. I like your oil pastel though, especially the baby's dress. I don't know anything about oil pastels, but when using a green background in oil paint the two colors I use together alot are viridian and permanent magenta, I don't know what that translates to in oil pastel sticks but it sounds like you're headed that way anyway. Looking forward to the final painting!

bnoonan
03-24-2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Mo,

I've gone by this page several times hoping the words would come to me on what I just don't like about this. Sorry - but you asked and I'm going to tell you. (Only because I know you'd want me to say so.. right?? (she asked hesitantly))))

Got it now... are those eyes a bit too far apart? I think perhaps they may be and perhaps aren't on the same level. Gosh...

And I'm going to ask... and it may be the truth, but is her right nostril in the correct direction and the right shape?

(Who does BNoonan think she is....????) Well - I'm only saying what I think... - sorry a little internal struggle.

I know you are new to the oils but I think you need to blend them a bit more in some areas. No doubt they are frustrating and I'm not helping you adjust to this new medium very well - but I know, in my heart and from all I've seen from your work, that you can do it and you can do it WELL.

If you are still talking to me after this... send a PM.

Barb

:)

Mo.
03-25-2003, 07:35 AM
Barb: Who does BNoonan think she is? I don't know...but I know what I think she is... a valuable friend to have around, :)someone who is not afraid to say what needs to be done in a painting..... Thankyou Barb, I've taken all that you've said on board...the eyes definitely look off don't they? :D ...not so sure about the nostril, the ref pic is a very old colour snap...the baby is now grown up and married, so you can tell how old it is... I was offered this pic for practise...but at the same time need to get it right, I did a couple of alterations last night, as I noticed the shape of her face was out too.....I am struggling with the pastels a little too...but the more I use them the better I'm understanding them, I think. :D..... I'll PM you with an update and the ref pic...perhaps you would scan your keen eye over them both for me.... if you have the time, I know you are very busy.

Thanks Barb, this is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Mo.

Dark_Shades
03-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi Mo :).... my thoughts for what they are worth..... cant offer advise about Oil Pastels or colours..... only thoughts and observations :)
The green showing on my monitor, is really nice, I like it, compliements the colour of her hair.
Definately agree with Barb about her eyes, but the thing I noticed was her neck, not sure if its the angle or perhaps the length of the left side, perhaps the shoulder has been dropped too much..... hard to tell without the ref pic. Again I would check the alignment/width of the babies eyes. Love the colours of the babies dress....... I know its still WIP, would like to see babies hand worked som more

... gotta fly, the salt mines call

Luvy
03-25-2003, 01:11 PM
I like the green too Wonderful job. *S*

E-J
03-28-2003, 04:36 AM
I think the green works well too, Mo. It's like the kind of marbled background you get in portrait photos, so doesn't look out of place ~ I think foliage would be strange as there's not really any context for it, given that they both look to be wearing nightdresses. I love the delicate pattern lace/embroidery bit on Naomi's dress! You are handling those oil pastels marvellously.

BTDogMom
03-28-2003, 09:28 AM
You know what, Mo? The more I look at your picture the more I like the green as well - gives it a cool summer evening kind of look to it, very airy and refreshing. I think you should leave it 2 !!:D