PDA

View Full Version : Essentials of Painting Skies - Discussion Thread

Johannes Instructor
01-12-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2012/135220-WetcanvasLive_logo.jpg

Essentials of Painting Skies with Johannes Vloothuis
Skyscapes in themselves make beautiful paintings and are easy to do. You can create wonderful moods that make paintings sell. Also learn how to integrate skies in all landscapes. You donít want to miss this free 3 Saturday live online course with our resident professional artist, Johannes Vloothuis, who will share why professionals are so fond of depicting luminous skies that can have cumulus clouds, storms, rain, and above all the romanticism of gorgeous sunsets. Skies can either make or break your painting. Join 1000's of other students in this world's popular and most advanced teaching system. This course is applicable to all levels and mediums.

TIME: 1:00 to 3:30 PM EST.Dates: 3 Saturdays January 14, 21, & 28
Fee: Free (Sponsored by F&W Media Inc.)
To register: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/537032297

Johannes Instructor
01-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Wow! This course has 3500 people signed up and it hasn't even started. It's a huge success! See you next Saturday January 14.

The Go to Webinar room will be opened at 12:30 PM. We can only fit 1000 in the Go to Webinar program. It is first-come-first-serve. If you get a "Webinar is Full" message you can still take your class at an alternate option by doing this:
http://improvemypaintings.com
Click on the any of the "Watch Free Live Class" links. If any of the links gives you a choppy video then use the other link. There are two. Use whichever works best for you.

Please take a bit of time to read these instructions:
http://improvemypaintings.com/instructions-for-class.html
There is an easy way to calibrate your monitor for color accuracy there.

Fiestyone
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Jo:

3500....Wow! Just goes to show what a great instructor you are. I am so looking forward to Saturdays class. :clap:

Janet

Amandine
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
What a wonderful way to start a new year : a painting class with Johannes. :thumbsup:

So, we are 3 500 people wanting to attend your lessons Jo. What a fan club you have there !!! :)

Meet you next Saturday. :wave:

Linda Reyes1959
01-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Can't wait. Thanks so so much Johannes for doing this.

wetbob
01-13-2012, 03:57 AM
3500....Wow! Just goes to show what a great instructor you are
It s great! Looking forward to see those skies lessons, WB

jezurus
01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Hello, I am joining in the first webinar with Johanne tomorrow, (Thank you Johanne!) I was wondering, which oil colors should I have on hand and is there a preference as to size of canvas?? Thanks again, Aaron

Improv
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I was wondering, which oil colors should I have on hand and is there a preference as to size of canvas??

Johannes has posted his preferred colours on his web site for oils, watercolours and acrylics. Canvas size is up to you.
Here's the web page:

http://improvemypaintings.com/palette.html

Artglo
01-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I am looking forward to tomorrows workshop. It's like seeing old friends (and with common interests). Thank you Johannes.

Johannes Instructor
01-13-2012, 11:15 PM
I am looking forward to tomorrows workshop. It's like seeing old friends (and with common interests). Thank you Johannes.
Me too. Finally the day has come.

Rosemarie
01-14-2012, 04:19 AM
Hi Johannes!
I went to Improvemypaintings.com and saw that you have two links named Watch Free Live Class. One for US residents and one for Non US residents. Could you tell us why?
I see the when I open the link the screen is a bit different and I like the US version better as it has the chat room to the right of the TV screen..

Rosemarie
01-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Another question. Will you tip us on how to take good skies photos?
Or maybe some one else know how to capture stunning skies?

DaveGhmn
01-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Cameras, especially digital ones, can't handle the gamut of color and values that exist in a dramatic sky in a single capture.

Most of the methods to accentuate the drama... result in bad or false color.

But there's a good basic tutorial here: http://www.exposureguide.com/photographing-skyscapes.htm

And here's a tutorial on using GIMP editing software to do what the old black & white photographers did, use a dark red filter: http://www.scottphotographics.com/making-skies-dramatic-in-gimp/

HDR (high dynamic range) software mixes various exposures together... in effect, you take one picture with exposure settings ideal for the cloud details, one for the blue sky, and one for any visible landscape or buildings... and mix them together.

But the pre-sets in most HDR software are for extremely dramatic, and extremely falsified results. Do a Google image search on "skies hdr" and you'll see what I mean.

Rosemarie
01-14-2012, 07:41 AM
Dave, thank you! I'll look at the supplied links.

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Johannes!
I went to Improvemypaintings.com and saw that you have two links named Watch Free Live Class. One for US residents and one for Non US residents. Could you tell us why?
I see the when I open the link the screen is a bit different and I like the US version better as it has the chat room to the right of the TV screen..
Justin TV blocks people from overseas. They say they are billed extra for the bandwidth. Some people had problems with Stickam so I decided to add Justin.TV as well. I have two internet connections now and will broadcast double. You can use any of the two options whatever works best for you.

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Hello, I am joining in the first webinar with Johanne tomorrow, (Thank you Johanne!) I was wondering, which oil colors should I have on hand and is there a preference as to size of canvas?? Thanks again, Aaron
These classes are basically watch and learn. So you don't need materials during these classes. However because so many want to know my palette here is the info:

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Jo:

3500....Wow! Just goes to show what a great instructor you are. I am so looking forward to Saturdays class. :clap:

Janet

Now 3736 and growing.

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
I will address it in the webinar.

VanPaint
01-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Will there be a handout for this class? Thank you again for doing this.

Sonni
01-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for another great webinar, Johannes!

JulieAnnG
01-14-2012, 04:47 PM
That webinar taught me so much. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

crafor
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Many thanks for this opportunity. I'm looking forward to the homework and to the next class.
Crafor

BumpaBob
01-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Jo:
Justin.tv worked better than the system last time...only little hiccups and video stalls for me. I had one question about your trip to the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon, and the reflected color effect in the clouds. Was the color effect only in the human eye or could you capture it on film? Thanks!

tedzart
01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
What a tremendous class today! Looking forward to painting the homework and viewing the next class. Today's transmission was much better, even though the timing was a bit off here in Missouri.
Congratulations on gathering 8,000 viewers -- Is that a record? If not, it should be.
You are an awesome instructor. Thank you so much for sharing your Golden Nuggets with us.
Teddy
I will posting something on Facebook, too.

BumpaBob
01-14-2012, 05:16 PM
RE: Daniel Smith color theory--in the chat I mentioned some info I saw on the DS website, on one of the S. Quiller palette adverts. When I went to retrieve the reference, it was gone. But good old Google found the url for me! It is: http://www.danielsmith.com/content--id-184
This was a lengthy article in one of his catalogs a few years ago, and is back on the website. Using the website's search function however did not find it, but Googlling for "Daniel Smith color theory" did the job. He does reference his own colors but the info is good. Also the Quiller palettes come with a similar chart and explanation. But a class by a certain well-known artist who understands the effects of color on the eye and not just the theory, would be most welcome....... big hint, Jo!
Good luck!

ArtistKate
01-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Jo and All: In Lesson 1 of Skies class, Jo emphasized the importance of "negative painting", e.g. "painting backward", and painting spaces around subjects. I saw some comments that people in the class want to know more about "negative painting". If you have Carl Purcell's book, Your Artist's Brain, he covers the subject wonderfully starting on page 142. He calls it the Shape of Space.

If you do not have Purcell's book, the February 2012 issue of Watercolor Artist Magazine by F&W Media, has published several of the same pages taken directly from Purcell's book, starting on P.79 of the magazine.

And while you're at it you can view Johannes' ad on the inside back cover!!

See you next week!:thumbsup: ArtistKate

oCDs01-711
01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Once again, Johannes began with a bang IMO ;) ; within the first five minutes of talking, I heard about, but really SAW the earth's reflective colors in the clouds! What a great class, can't wait to purchase it and look at it on my time. Thanks, Johannes!

Shirley

Sonni
01-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Negative painting:

In every good composition there are negative shapes (or space if you want to call it that) and positive shapes. Your negative and positive shapes should not be equal--think 1/3- 2/3 or something close to this.

Negative painting is painting in the negative shapes to form the positive shapes. In Johannes' demo he used the "sky" shape as the negative to form the positive "cloud" shapes. You can do this with anything against a sky--tree shapes, building shapes, rock shapes, etc...any positive shape can be formed by painting the shape around it--the negative shape. You can also use the land as a negative shape, painting it in to form tree shapes, building shapes, etc...And you can use a large body of water or a stream with stuff in it the same way. Generally, negative shapes recede, positive shapes come forward. Johannes gave very good advice as in this helps you to keep from "cloning." I like that description for repetitive, boring shapes, BTW. :D

susy q
01-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Thank you Johannes for the great webinar today....I will now have to fix all my paintings that have water, skies and mountains in them. So pleased to hear about the portrait classes in the future as that is what I am concentrating on...can't wait while I continue to learn from such an excellent teacher.

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Jo and All: In Lesson 1 of Skies class, Jo emphasized the importance of "negative painting", e.g. "painting backward", and painting spaces around subjects. I saw some comments that people in the class want to know more about "negative painting". If you have Carl Purcell's book, Your Artist's Brain, he covers the subject wonderfully starting on page 142. He calls it the Shape of Space.

If you do not have Purcell's book, the February 2012 issue of Watercolor Artist Magazine by F&W Media, has published several of the same pages taken directly from Purcell's book, starting on P.79 of the magazine.

And while you're at it you can view Johannes' ad on the inside back cover!!

See you next week!:thumbsup: ArtistKate
Is it the half page or quarter size page katie?

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Jo:
Justin.tv worked better than the system last time...only little hiccups and video stalls for me. I had one question about your trip to the Grand Canyon and Bryce Canyon, and the reflected color effect in the clouds. Was the color effect only in the human eye or could you capture it on film? Thanks!

For sure it was in the human eye. Much more than the photo. I don't see it in this photo.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jan-2012/135220-IMG_2897.jpg

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
What a tremendous class today! Looking forward to painting the homework and viewing the next class. Today's transmission was much better, even though the timing was a bit off here in Missouri.
Congratulations on gathering 8,000 viewers -- Is that a record? If not, it should be.
You are an awesome instructor. Thank you so much for sharing your Golden Nuggets with us.
Teddy
I will posting something on Facebook, too.

Message to all who took justin.tv video.
The video out of sync in some areas was not from your end. I was recording the audio on my PC while broadcasting. That stalled it a few times. Next week it will be a breeze.

Saskia Rembrandt
01-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Hi I'm new here from New Zealand. I couldn't find a place to post an introduction, so just saying hello here and that I enjoyed the 3 1/2 hours online this morning, even though it started at 7am for me. Thanks so much. Look forward to next Sunday morning :-).

Johannes Instructor
01-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Negative painting:

In every good composition there are negative shapes (or space if you want to call it that) and positive shapes. Your negative and positive shapes should not be equal--think 1/3- 2/3 or something close to this.

Negative painting is painting in the negative shapes to form the positive shapes. In Johannes' demo he used the "sky" shape as the negative to form the positive "cloud" shapes. You can do this with anything against a sky--tree shapes, building shapes, rock shapes, etc...any positive shape can be formed by painting the shape around it--the negative shape. You can also use the land as a negative shape, painting it in to form tree shapes, building shapes, etc...And you can use a large body of water or a stream with stuff in it the same way. Generally, negative shapes recede, positive shapes come forward. Johannes gave very good advice as in this helps you to keep from "cloning." I like that description for repetitive, boring shapes, BTW. :D
You can also refer to the surrounding space as the negative space.

jezurus
01-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Johannes has posted his preferred colours on his web site for oils, watercolours and acrylics. Canvas size is up to you.
Here's the web page:

Thank you!!

jezurus
01-14-2012, 10:05 PM
These classes are basically watch and learn. So you don't need materials during these classes. However because so many want to know my palette here is the info:

Thank you Johannes.

SandraW
01-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I just wanted to say a big "Thank you" to you Johannes for so freely sharing your wealth of knowledge. It was a 4am start for me to join your class this morning, but definitely worth it!

I'm doing only my third landscape at the moment and was ready to throw it away and never try landscapes again, but watching you this morning has inspired me to keep trying.

' can't wait for next week's class, and have been reading through Robert's notes on previous classes (thank you too, Robert!). Already, I know about 1000% more than I did before the class, and am all fired up to give it a go.

Many, many thanks!
Sandra

robertsloan2
01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Thank you for a great class this morning! I loved seeing the shapes of the clouds develop in your first demo, the negative painting is just what I need to avoid those ugly ice cream scoops in cumulus clouds and get more lost/found edges in them. Wonderful lesson.

Sgourlayart
01-15-2012, 01:04 AM
I only viewed the course in Justin.tv and it was just terrible with choppy video, choppy audio, frequent freezing and frequent commercial banners. This was the only link that the website gave me. Needless to say, I was disappointed that things were so bad. I thought that Stickam worked better and would like to be offered that option next time. Sorry to complain, but the constant disruptions ruined the program for me. I hope it can be improved.

tuzigoot
01-15-2012, 01:10 AM
JO - please read...
It would be really helpful to me, and probably to many others, if you could have the homework assignment for us right after the class is done. Many of us work and can really only paint on weekends, so getting the homework on Saturday would work much better. Also it would be good to get started while your suggestions and, um, commandments are still fresh in our heads!!
I realize you put a lot of time into the class each Saturday but this would only take a minute or two to handle.

Thanks as usual for a great class -

nougat
01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
hi johannes
thanks for a great class.

i am disappointed tho by the last hour or so when i could not make head or tail of the demo due to the video freezing and my having to refresh the browser literally every few seconds.

i have been following your courses since you started with the long course and altho there have been a few glitches, i've NEVER had the dreadful transmission - or lack of it -that spoilt yesterday's class.
i know that from my side everything is adequate, having, as i've said, followed all the previous courses.

i've bought ALL the lessons from the long course and paid for every other course since that required it.
however as my financial status has changed drastically recently, i have had to put all the downloads from the free courses on my 'wishlist' for the present. i have been studying and sitting for examinations and hopefully will find employment in the next few months which will give me purchasing power.

yesterday i did try ie, chrome and firefox - all with the same result. i would also like to stress that i was not the only one. some people just left. the more tenacious of us stayed till the end - for some it resolved spontaneously - i was not so lucky and the last hour of the demo was completely ruined.

i also don't think it was quite fair to tell us 'foreigners' that we may be 'kicked out' of justin tv and expected to pay. and halfway into the class? just completing such a transaction would take the better part of half an hour for sure. i was online on both justin and stickam an hour and a half early to ensure a place and to be 'kicked out' cos i'm 'foreign'???
there was no alternative for those who were having difficulties with justin tv.

it would be easy to dismiss my complaint as 'whining', it would be easy to say 'purchase the download' but, as a loyal student, i would feel disappointed and indeed hurt by such comments.

i would suggest that for the next class there is an alternative video streaming site available. maybe stickam?? and not sacrifice it and those using it for the sake of improving quality on just one site.

thanks for listening to my grumble
now i must go and find the homework thread....i didn't hear that bit either...

nougat
01-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Justin TV blocks people from overseas. They say they are billed extra for the bandwidth. Some people had problems with Stickam so I decided to add Justin.TV as well. I have two internet connections now and will broadcast double. You can use any of the two options whatever works best for you.

if it is the case that overseas users are blocked from justin tv having many international students should make it even more important to use a site that is available to all.

sorry for complaining - but i feel so disappointed :crying:
hope next week's class will be ok cos its watercolour and i would hate to miss that too!

Rosemarie
01-15-2012, 01:44 AM
nougat - I living Sweden and have never have been blocked out from Justins.tv. Maybe because Justin does have a swedish page (which I don't like and I make sure I get the us one).
I have had troubles with all live streaming companies used for these classes, a few times I just had to leave and then buy the video. The last WC demo on water was like that. Bought the class videos. You do get a lot for the money.
Internet is a complexed world. I think Johannes and FW is taking long steps to the better. When connection worked well the video was of stunning quality!!

Improv
01-15-2012, 02:36 AM
I think that the reason for US/non-US server connections is to balance the load of students watching. I strongly suspect that 50 per cent or more of the viewers are from the US. In theory, you choose the server by your world location and this means fewer users in total trying to gain access.

I think that threat of possibly having to pay is more of a warning to use the closest location.

Cheers

Doug

Banner
01-15-2012, 03:08 AM
I missed the first part of the demo because I do not live in the US I tried the non US and just got adds & a blank screen until I tried US & bingo all was revealed. Thank you very much for your excellent session.

Rosemarie
01-15-2012, 04:16 AM
Banner where do you live?

nougat
01-15-2012, 04:25 AM
nougat - I living Sweden and have never have been blocked out from Justins.tv. Maybe because Justin does have a swedish page (which I don't like and I make sure I get the us one).
I have had troubles with all live streaming companies used for these classes, a few times I just had to leave and then buy the video. The last WC demo on water was like that. Bought the class videos. You do get a lot for the money.
Internet is a complexed world. I think Johannes and FW is taking long steps to the better. When connection worked well the video was of stunning quality!!
i don't deny that the downloads are well worth the money you pay, but i am not in a position at present to purchase them, as i have previously - including the long course. secondly participating in the live class is really great.
third i have never had a problem - apart from comparatively minor glitches - with justin OR stickam.
personally i would prefer for the live stream to be of less 'stunning' quality but be able to see and hear the demo.

nougat
01-15-2012, 04:30 AM
I think that the reason for US/non-US server connections is to balance the load of students watching. I strongly suspect that 50 per cent or more of the viewers are from the US. In theory, you choose the server by your world location and this means fewer users in total trying to gain access.

I think that threat of possibly having to pay is more of a warning to use the closest location.

Cheers

Doug

and 'balancing the load' makes it ok?? so i was waiting for hours to secure a place only to have the transmission ruined by latecomers?
i am fine with chosing the server closest to my location - if i even knew which it was. was it stickam?? that was switched off and everyone was directed to justin. so there was no choice.

Rosemarie
01-15-2012, 04:50 AM
and 'balancing the load' makes it ok?? so i was waiting for hours to secure a place only to have the transmission ruined by latecomers?
i am fine with chosing the server closest to my location - if i even knew which it was. was it stickam?? that was switched off and everyone was directed to justin. so there was no choice.

I don't think so at all! Remember there are many servers between Johannes, Justin and your server that can have problems which we can't do anything about! It was a better quality on the movie this time and still it worked better for me than the last Water demo which I had too leave as the video froze and the the sound was choppy and of no use.

I wish we all had a perfect video with perfect sound but some days it doesn't work for some and the next time it doesn't work for others. You are lucky that you have had barely any problems during 2011.

Felisa
01-15-2012, 04:54 AM
Johannes, I did not have problems with the webinar and the class was excellent. Thank you for all your time and effort.

I had problems with the demo for the first time since I started taking the classes, however was able to follow most of it just by reloading the connexion.

I cannot find the thread with the homework for this class, has it been posted?

Thank you again.

henriquesouza
01-15-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks johannes for other excelente webinar!

How do you normaly prime your canvas, do you use acrylic paint?

Henrique.

paskavau
01-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Thanks to Johannes for this very great and informative class. The technical quality of the webinar was quite good as always, but the demonstration on justin tv stopped nearly all 15 seconds. After Johannes changed the internet-connection it was quite better. Unfortunately I've so lost more than the half of the demonstration. Hope it will be better next time.

Klaus

VanPaint
01-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Thank you for the webinar - I learned a bunch. Looking forward to the homework.

nougat
01-15-2012, 08:05 AM
I don't think so at all! Remember there are many servers between Johannes, Justin and your server that can have problems which we can't do anything about! It was a better quality on the movie this time and still it worked better for me than the last Water demo which I had too leave as the video froze and the the sound was choppy and of no use.

I wish we all had a perfect video with perfect sound but some days it doesn't work for some and the next time it doesn't work for others. You are lucky that you have had barely any problems during 2011.

i wish we ALL had perfect sound and vision ALL the time but i know it's not possible. i have had choppy sound very often, but stuck it out.
i am glad you and many others had 'perfect video and perfect sound' this time - but it would have been better to have just 'ok' transmission for everyone. from the comments, you will see that i was not the only one.

Rosemarie
01-15-2012, 08:18 AM
i wish we ALL had perfect sound and vision ALL the time but i know it's not possible. i have had choppy sound very often, but stuck it out.
i am glad you and many others had 'perfect video and perfect sound' this time - but it would have been better to have just 'ok' transmission for everyone. from the comments, you will see that i was not the only one.

Absolutely! I second that.:thumbsup:

nougat
01-15-2012, 09:48 AM
YAY!!!

johannes has replied to my whinging in another thread and there WILL BE an alternative site for next week. :)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Johannes Instructor
01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks johannes for other excelente webinar!

How do you normaly prime your canvas, do you use acrylic paint?

Henrique.
I buy canvases and let the manufacturers worry about it, unless I make my own in which case do the first layer with acrylic modelling paste, then two layers of gesso.

Improv
01-15-2012, 09:59 AM

I was just telling you the possible reason. Don't get upset at the messenger just because you don't like the message delivered! :rolleyes:

nougat
01-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I was just telling you the possible reason. Don't get upset at the messenger just because you don't like the message delivered! :rolleyes:

aaaw apologies improv i did not mean to 'shoot the messenger'.

Improv
01-15-2012, 10:06 AM
You are lucky that you have had barely any problems during 2011.

And let's not forget that we are very lucky to be getting the Skies webinar series for free. Paying $30 or whatever for the recorded webinar later is only fair.

Many of us have had at least one webinar over the past year that had poor reception. So what? Just get the recorded webinar later. After all, we don't have a constitutional right to get these webinars for free ! :rolleyes:

Cheers

I

nougat
01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
And let's not forget that we are very lucky to be getting the Skies webinar series for free. Paying $30 or whatever for the recorded webinar later is only fair.

Many of us have had at least one webinar over the past year that had poor reception. So what? Just get the recorded webinar later. After all, we don't have a constitutional right to get these webinars for free ! :rolleyes:

Cheers

I

i have purchased previous classes. those i have not have had to sit on my wishlist due to present financial situation. hopefully this will be remedied in the coming months.
altho i have enjoyed every single class, not one was without glitches and/or poor reception. only those of us who were frustrated at yesterday's justin tv can really understand just how bad it was.
thankfully johannes is more sympathetic to our disappointment and has arranged an alternative site for next week.:clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

now stop rolling your eyes at me :eek: :smug: ;)

Arantxa
01-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Jo, what colors do you choose to paint different times of day?

Thank you

Donald_Smith
01-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Rosemarie,

With a digital camera, you can aim at the ground, then slowly raise the lense towards the sunset and watch your display. At the ground it will be dark, if you point at the sky it will be washed out. There is a happy medium where you get a nice blend of lights and darks.

My daughter's Nikon has a neat feature I've not seen before. You push one of the buttons and it lets you adjust the exposure up or down, so you can quickly and easily bracket the exposures like they used to do with slide film. It works with digital too. then you can pick which one you like the best and delete the others.

I hope this helps.
Donald

uthule13
01-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I'd like to see the finished painting of the late afternoon sky, please.

Donald_Smith
01-15-2012, 11:29 AM

Johannes,

Thanks for teaching these wonderful webinars. Skies is the second or third one I've been able to attend. I'm learning a lot, and I bought the first two lessons of the "Paint from Photographs" and I'm enjoying and learning from them too.

I see so many professional artists use Viridian. I've tried it and don't care for the colors of green I get when I mix it. I'm curious what it is about it that so many artists like it. I know you can't speak for others, but why do you like it? I prefer SapGreen, which I know some professionals hate.

I also have a suggestion. I work full time as a computer geek, so for what it's worth.... I would try setting your demo settings to the lowest setting, and see how everyone likes the quality. I would rather have a slightly poorer quality, but continuous transmission, than trying to sync. things up. Besides your also dealing with lag times. I used to play Airwarriors online, and I had dial up. I would be flying an airplane, moving in for the kill, almost ready to shoot and the guy I was fighting would suddenly shoot me down. My lag with dial up was 2 to 5 seconds if not more, than the guy I was flying against who had DSL. You are experiencing the same problem. So when you put the clock up and start your count down, different people will see it at different times because of the lag in the internet. It looks like we are all seeing and hearing you count down at the same time, but it's a miss conception.

In my humble opinion, you're much better off just setting the settings to a lower quality, and having a good transmission, than to have higher quality, and constant break ups, and inturptions. It's your painting demonstration, so you will do what you want.

I hope this helps in some small way,
Donald

nougat
01-15-2012, 11:50 AM
"you're much better off just setting the settings to a lower quality, and having a good transmission, than to have higher quality, and constant break ups, and interruptions."

i agree. in this way we can all enjoy the live interaction experience and have the high quality later in our purchase.

nougat
oops

nougat
oops

nougat
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
oops

nougat
01-15-2012, 11:51 AM
oops

Improv
01-15-2012, 12:22 PM
i have purchased previous classes. those i have not have had to sit on my wishlist due to present financial situation. hopefully this will be remedied in the coming months.
Good! problem solved! :thumbsup:

altho i have enjoyed every single class, not one was without glitches and/or poor reception. only those of us who were frustrated at yesterday's justin tv can really understand just how bad it was.
You really do have a sense of entitlement. :rolleyes:

Look, everyone who has ever watched a video or webinar on the internet has experienced out of sync videos, slow downs, dropped signals,etc,etc. due several technical reasons. Welcome to the intertet in 2012. We all wish it was better, but it's not. By the way-a perfect video would need someone to pay for the cost of state of the art hardware. So much for free webinars. :rolleyes:

thankfully johannes is more sympathetic to our disappointment and has arranged an alternative site for next week.

That's all fine, but there are no guarantees that you, me, or someone else won't experience problems. All JV can do is his best, he's stuck with the state of the internet as much as we are. No one's to blame, it's just the way it is until better/faster internet is universally available.

Whatever-I've got videos to watch and painting to do.

Good-bye.

nougat
01-15-2012, 12:40 PM
wow!
wow!

johannes is great - at no time did i lay any blame on him - but he can't help find a solution if we don't tell him the problem.

thank you improv for your thoughts and comments.
good bye

wow!!

Kat5
01-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey Jo,

THANKS for the Skies class! Seriously, although I couldnt get the video/audio feed in any of the links (with latest software - perhaps becauseim no from usa maybe?) it really doesnt matter that much to me. Yes I love watching your demos, and although I missed it, I must say that I AM VERY GREATFUL FOR ALL THE GOLDEN NUGGETS AND INFO FROM THE FIRST PORTION OF THE WEBINAR! Knowlede can be such a powerful thing. Please keep giving these webinars as they are very helpful for so many.

sapphirelynn
01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Jo I think we can sum this up by saying " you get what you pay for" I for one am VERY grateful for your time and effort. Those of us who have been with you a long time are so excited and eager that if it dosn't go well we are naturally dissapointed We love you and value your talent.:heart: Technology is a wonderful thing, yes it is not perfect, but let us not forget that it is all relativly new and just a few short years ago, not even possible. As more of these classes happen the more the 'problems' get ironed out.:crossfingers: Patience is a virtue. I for one have to keep reminding myself of this. As the word of what a 'fantastik teacher' Jo is get out we will have even more attendies and of course more tecno problems. So thank goodness we can buy them, if not right away due to finances then we can buy then later. Patience again. I for one have no problem buying them now or eventually as I feel that JO is worth every penny and more. Hard to put a price on what he is giving to us, impossible really......hugs Lynn :grouphug:

elizabeth ours
01-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Saturday's class was just pure greatness! Technical problems didn't bother me at all. Can't wait till next Saturday.

Improv
01-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Well said, SaphireLynn! :grouphug:

Cheers

Doug

West Vancouver, BC, Canada

Tresgatos
01-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Johannes - thank you once again for the valuable information on painting skies - I look forward to your classes made possible by your sponsors.

Barbara

Monica1
01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Thank you Johannes and F+W media for all these webinars, free or paid!

I got my Imac computer back from the repair shop just in time for the webinar! I got a new hard drive.
The transmission was so great on my end, I was really happy with everything, only in the end there was the sync problem, but it didn't bother me at all.

Thank you!

cranbrook
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
What a wonderful class and I can hardly wait for next week's Golden Nuggets of information as well as the watercolour demo.

nougat
01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Jo I think we can sum this up by saying " you get what you pay for" I for one am VERY grateful for your time and effort. Those of us who have been with you a long time are so excited and eager that if it dosn't go well we are naturally dissapointed We love you and value your talent.:heart: Technology is a wonderful thing, yes it is not perfect, but let us not forget that it is all relativly new and just a few short years ago, not even possible. As more of these classes happen the more the 'problems' get ironed out.:crossfingers: Patience is a virtue. I for one have to keep reminding myself of this. As the word of what a 'fantastik teacher' Jo is get out we will have even more attendies and of course more tecno problems. So thank goodness we can buy them, if not right away due to finances then we can buy then later. Patience again. I for one have no problem buying them now or eventually as I feel that JO is worth every penny and more. Hard to put a price on what he is giving to us, impossible really......hugs Lynn :grouphug:

i agree with you 100% saphirelynne.
but for the problems to be ironed out, they have to be recognised and ackowledged not ignored. my complaint was just that. i hope that johannes has not also misunderstood and knows that i hold him in the highest esteem as a generous and caring teacher.

cltherrien
01-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Johannes thanks, once again, for a really informative session! I love painting skies, and like you said, you don't see much in the way of books on just skies. I so look forward to my Saturday afternoons with you :wave:! I wish there had been less technical difficulties but you get a definite :thumbsup: on handling them and trying to make it all work ok. I will :crossfingers: that it all works properly next Saturday - more for you, then us even! Thank you for so readily sharing your knowledge :) .....Cathy

mickisew
01-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Johannes - You have the patience of Job, my friend. You are aware of the technical issues - and I personally think enough has been said in this forum. I thank you for all your efforts and feel privileged to be one of your students. Yesterday's class was most informative, and Robert's notes are the icing on the cake. Thank you Robert! Again, thank you for sharing your ability and love of art.

Micki in Florida

jezurus
01-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Hello,
I am new to Johannes class, a freebie for me, I think it would be wise to start a separate thread for technical problems where folks can vent, save these threads for the art!!
Saying that, as limited as my free involvement was, I learned so much, the painting I worked on while watching the live feed from Johannes site showed much improvement implementing Johannes advice and techniques, I did not mind the time outs as it gave me a chance to catch up!
Thanks to the folks at Northlight for hiring a great instructor and thanks to Johannes for not holding back any "Golden Nuggets"!!

Kat5
01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Has anyone seen the homework thread yet, and if so can you paste a link to it? Thanks.

Tonalist
01-15-2012, 06:05 PM
It's just back one tier Kat..
here you go.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971632

woody

Kat5
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks Tonalist!
I searched several times and couldnt find it. Must've been doing something wrong - lol!

uthule13
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I can't find the class notes. Help, please. I think there are two pages about cumulus clouds--which is what I need. Thanks.

Johannes Instructor
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Johannes - You have the patience of Job, my friend. You are aware of the technical issues - and I personally think enough has been said in this forum. I thank you for all your efforts and feel privileged to be one of your students. Yesterday's class was most informative, and Robert's notes are the icing on the cake. Thank you Robert! Again, thank you for sharing your ability and love of art.

Micki in Florida
It's only a few people that have issues. We need to discard that someone else in the house is using the internet. Are they on satellite and the weather is acting up? Is their modem which is wireless in a spot that is not allowing good enough connection? There can be a mumber of reasons why their connection breaks up. For 1500 people all to be happy is not an easy thing. Even in go to meeting we get people saying they lose sound or video and that software is as full proof as it comes. So that tells me not everyone has a solid internet connection.

karenlee
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Well I thought it was a marvel, even with the occasional glitches. I mean, just to sit at home and receive this info from a gifted art teacher (how often do you find those??) is a real treat. Thank you, Johannes!

totsy
01-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Robert, thank you so much for taking time to put such expansive notes together for us.

Appreciate you for sure.

carol_lee
01-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Robert, thank you so much for taking time to put such expansive notes together for us.

Appreciate you for sure.

Thanks Again

4evrAutumn
01-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Jo, I am so appreciative of your efforts to share your love of painting with all of us. I tuned in late, due to my own fault of misreading the email with class time - duh!, but the last hour or so of what I saw was great! Thank you! Btw, i'm in So.Cal, northern foothills of beautiful San Gabriel mtns. I connected my macbook to a 42" hdtv. Wow, the video was amazing! :clap:

And since I had set aside several hours for your class but missed half of it, I bought the mountains series to get my Jo fix. :D I watched the first two parts and learned a lot. :thumbsup: I hope to watch the rest today. I paint in acrylics so there is a little adjustment of technique here and there, but still lots of valuable information and at such a reasonable price. Thanks to all the sponsors for their generosity, too!

Looking forward to next Saturday's class. I set an alarm on my iphone so I wouldn't mess up the time again. :o Have a wonderful week!

KarenB
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi,

This is not really complaint, just a FYI. My connection is the best I can get out here in the wilds of Eastern Washington State. (A satelite dish aimed at a tower 5 miles away.) So I haven't really joined in with the feedback, knowing my reception is marginal at best. I guess that makes my reception sort of the "canary in the coalmine," as it is the most borderline.

Go to Meeting works for me every time, if I start trying to get in as early as possible. It was at 9:00 PST, now at 9:30 PST. Whenever transmission changes to something else, it is always of a stop and go nature.

JustinTV was OK during one transmission (I think it was in "Water"), then in the background I heard Jo say, "OK, let's turn up the quality now," and my connection immediately stalled, went jerky, then I had to sign off. So my direct experience leads me to agree with Donald Smith in regards to quality vs transmission speed.

I do appreciate the efforts to develop this new technology/marketing strategy, as my pastel landscapes have improved and benefitted from hearing Jo's viewpoint. And I have purchased most of the NL books he has recommended, so that has benefitted him, as well, too.

Have a great day, everyone. Oh there's mist in the valley, just partially covering the pine trees. Gotta go...

junemoon
01-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi, I had to give up on the reception I was getting because I had a repetative
glitch that repeated everything after a 2 sec. delay. Also, after I had exited (I thought) the program I was still receiving 1 of the audios.
Anyway, on one of you former webinars someone was recording notes from your presentation. Are those notes available now from this "Skies" presentation, and if so, how do I access them? Thank you.

KarenB
01-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Hi June,

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875402 is where sweet Robert posts his notes. They are a wonderrful help.

sylvia
01-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I love Roberts notes!! BUT I cannot seem to find a way to copy them, I would like to copy some of them to reference while I work and share with a couple of "buddies" I have plenty of microsoft programs and adobe. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have no idea what I am doing wrong Please help! Phyllis

mij
01-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I just open the thread, right click to see the 'save image' menu. I then ensure it is going to save to the desktop (saves me hunting where Vista deems to put it) then wait for and then click on the 'save' button.
How you file these is up to you.
I put each batch into a folder that is appropriately named. Then I put these folders into another folder named JV class notes by RAS.
HTH
jim

catinlapaz
01-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Can someone please tell me where to find the homework assignment for this class? Thank you.
Catherine (catinlapaz)

ArtistKate
01-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Jo, in response to your question, your ad in the WC Magic mag looks to be about 1/3 size: it is half the page vertically, and about 2/3 of the page horizontally. It is positioned at the top left of the page and is the first thing that I saw on the page--I wasn't looking for it and it jumped out and grabbed me!

Note: When do we get to see you live on your Webinar!!? Would like to see expressions on your face and get some life to the photo we usually see...Thanks :thumbsup: ArtistKate

Johannes Instructor
01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Can someone please tell me where to find the homework assignment for this class? Thank you.
Catherine (catinlapaz)
www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971632 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971632)

pastel37
01-16-2012, 07:52 PM
I am following :essentials of painting skies and can not find the homework assignments for this class. Where do I look.? Pastel37

Dorothyww
01-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Read Jo's post just above yours.:clap:

happypaintgirl1
01-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi Johannes,
I am trying to access the photo references that you spoke of on Saturday for doing the homework? I am not sure where to find it? Can you help me please? Thank you, Linda (happypaintgirl1)

Johannes Instructor
01-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi Johannes,
I am trying to access the photo references that you spoke of on Saturday for doing the homework? I am not sure where to find it? Can you help me please? Thank you, Linda (happypaintgirl1)
Read above

happypaintgirl1
01-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Never mind I figured it out. Thanks anyways.. the pictures are beautiful!

suzlebeau
01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Jo - Thanks for all you do. I am new at a lot of this. I've been painting sporadically for about 2 years, but this series really inspires me! The skies class was awesome. I've been doing it wrong, with too much color, flat "non-melodic lines", no center of interest, etc.
Also, how do you ever have time to paint with all the class prep, and all this on WC? Keep it up!

sylvia
01-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Thank you MIJ I did finally get a copy but when I right click I do not get the "save as" I get a choice of print or select all. but any way I did get to copy so Thank you.

Improv
01-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you MIJ I did finally get a copy but when I right click I do not get the "save as" I get a choice of print or select all. but any way I did get to copy so Thank you.

Which web browser are you using and where are you right clicking? You have to right click over the image of Robert's page. FYI, Robert posts a scanned in image of his notebook, (jpeg) . What you see is not a page of text.

Rosemarie
01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
What I do dragging each page/image to my word processor and name the document i.e. Roberts Sky Notes.

T13 St Jean
01-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Johannes - Thank you just doesn't seem to say enough. Loved every minute of this class despite the few technical glitches. Mom was watching from Florida and I was watching from Quebec. It is great to share this passion of painting with her.

Robert, you are a precious gem. Merci, merci, merci for your class notes.

Therese

jezurus
01-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Hello fellow paint slingers!! Every morning on my ride in to work I travel toward the sunrise, I always have a camera and sketch pad with me, here is a couple pics with some clouds, I have more on my other hard drive I will get on here soon, also some great N. Carolina mountain tree shots from Brown mountain and Boone area, hope someone can use these for inspiration!! Thanks AAronhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2012/157715-Sunrise.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2012/157715-sunrise_2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2012/157715-DSCN2980.JPG

mij
01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Which web browser are you using and where are you right clicking? You have to right click over the image of Robert's page. FYI, Robert posts a scanned in image of his notebook, (jpeg) . What you see is not a page of text.

Reading this has made me realize that I have an image manipulator/down loader called 'irfanview' which automajically opens and downloads the image when a file it is associated with (.jpg) is encountered. Gimp is also free and will do the job. Perhaps 'paint' would if it was pointed at jpg's?
Using this app. means that any browser works.
jim

Johannes Instructor
01-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Carl Purcell, the author of Your Artist's Brain, has a an article in the February Watercolor Artist magazine. You may want to read that. If you do then you will see the magazine endorsing the class at the last page of the magazine.

nougat
01-18-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello fellow paint slingers!! Every morning on my ride in to work I travel toward the sunrise, I always have a camera and sketch pad with me, here is a couple pics with some clouds, I have more on my other hard drive I will get on here soon, also some great N. Carolina mountain tree shots from Brown mountain and Boone area, hope someone can use these for inspiration!! Thanks AAronhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2012/157715-Sunrise.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2012/157715-sunrise_2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jan-2012/157715-DSCN2980.JPG

what lovely shots :)
i too travel towards sunrise on my way home from the school run - but without the camera and sketch pad cos i'll be driving :)

dljaques
01-18-2012, 04:15 PM
I missed last week's class. I was out of town. Can any of you tell me if Johannes did a painting demo. If so, what medium did he use?? Oil, Watercolor pastels etc.

Thanks

CatherineOnTheLake
01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
The first part of the class was a discussion about the Essentials. It was great. All the things we need to know about how to approach painting skies with cumulus clouds. The second part was a varied selection of parts of other demos (I think) wherein Johannes was able to show us how he painted differing kinds of sky/cloud areas. There were several different kinds of skies demonstrated (ie. moody, sunny, rainy, sunset, and more). I believe they were all done in either oil or acylic - but I may be mistaken. I believe this coming Saturday will be in watercolour and perhaps the last Saturday he will demo in pastel (unless that has changed). Since you missed the class for now, you could consult Robert's notes for now, but of course, when the time comes, you could buy the downloads from F+ W Media. I hope that helps.

dljaques
01-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks a million! It sounds like I missed a great class. I will be buying the series when it comes out.

Thanks again!

Valleygarden
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Johannes, just wanted to add my gratitude for your classes ( free and those that have a fee). I feel I have learned so much, and it's due to your generosity in sharing your experience, skill and knowledge. Thank you for holding these webinars. They make it so easy to take quality art classes.
Sue, aka ValleyGarden

usucitrus
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks so much for the class. The comuter based classes are amazing and a great way to learn.

usucitrus
01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Carl Purcell book is amazing. I thought painting was mostly about training my hands, but it's really about training by brain to "see."

susanc
01-21-2012, 12:54 PM
I hope everyone's class comes through great today! I'm not an internet specialist, but...I seem to remember that in last year classes, whenever basketball playoffs started, many people's class transmissions would degrade or end because of all the demand on their servers in their area, or on the servers used en route to their area. If a lot of people in your area are using the internet (or if your server is routing through another server that has a lot of traffic) , that can cause you to have problems, even if there is nothing wrong with your equipment and Johannes' is also working perfectly. That was my understanding of the situation at that time, but as I said, I'm not an internet know-it-all! :) Good luck, everyone!

susanc
01-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Guess I wrote that for myself! Go to Meeting was full (I had been in it but signed out at the break), and couldn't get sound on any of the 4 streaming options despite refreshing, opening new browser, etc. ( :crying: ) But glad that I can buy the recordings one day! Will keep trying...

wetbob
01-21-2012, 04:09 PM
thynx joh and others for a great lesson!

painterted
01-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Great session today Johannes. This is the best yet in video quality.

ted

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that the Carl Purcell book is amazing. I thought painting was mostly about training my hands, but it's really about training by brain to "see."
amen it's about training the brain.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Great session today Johannes. This is the best yet in video quality.

ted
Ted it went like clockwork. Everything turned out well. Like a three ring circus.

ckball
01-21-2012, 04:27 PM
I missed the first class as it was full-bit LOVED today's and want to know about homework and how to submit it. Can anyone help me please?

lorigina
01-21-2012, 05:43 PM
I love those pictures, Jezurus. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.

CatherineOnTheLake
01-21-2012, 05:53 PM
So much info today! Wow that was amazing and so satisfying for us watercolour people. Thank you so much Johannes. I really had trouble last week with the homework but I'm sure will do better trying it again after today. I have never tried pastels with watercolour. Can anyone tell me what brand and type of pastels to buy and what would be the starter colour choices that he uses. I think I heard him say that he used white, lavender and cad orange.... Thanks to all.

Weeksie
01-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Trying to access Robert's notes from last week by Karen's link, I find all of his notes from 2011 - wonderful - but nothing from last week's "Skies." Help... please...

Ruth04
01-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Trying to access Robert's notes from last week by Karen's link, I find all of his notes from 2011 - wonderful - but nothing from last week's "Skies." Help... please...

Try this: post #58 and #59

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14509142#post14509142

Mirsa.

Ruth04
01-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Johannes:

as always an excellent class and demonstrations . Your paintings are so beautifull!

Robert: thank your again for your notes.

Mirsa.

Donald_Smith
01-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Johannes,

Great class today! Thanks for all the hard work you do to make them happen. I was glad to see you have found an excellent solution to the problems you've been having during the demos. My wife threw a monkey wrench in my plans today, and I had to take my daughter to town, so I ended up sitting in McDonalds using their Wifi, and I didn't have any problems at all with the webinar or the watching the demos. Note to self, "Never try to watch a webinar in McDonalds during LUNCH." :)

Is there another homework assignment for this next week?

Jo, please tell me what it is you like about Viridian? I'm frustrated with it, and can't figure out why it's so popular. I've been using it for about 2 years now, and I'm about to go back to Sap Green. I'm just curious, you're not the only Professional artist I know that uses it. Richard Schmid, Jack White, and I think Kevin MacPherson also use Viridian.

Thanks again for your great class on painting skies!
Donald

Weeksie
01-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Ruth04
Your link took me right where I needed to be. Thanks so much!

Sonni
01-21-2012, 07:39 PM
It will be interesting to read what Johannes has to say about viridian . I use it because it makes beautiful grays, one of them (I hate to say it) combined with a little aliz crimson. But there must be other reasons.

CatherineOnTheLake
01-21-2012, 09:00 PM
Perhaps he uses Viridian as a convenient secondary, and also because it is transparent and is non-sedimentary. I find Viridian is not good used on it's own at all, but is a good mixer (I'm speaking of watercolour...). Also as Sonni points out it makes excellent, quick darks as it is saturated but also because as a secondary it's already a mixture of blue and yellow.

Johannes Instructor
01-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Perhaps he uses Viridian as a convenient secondary, and also because it is transparent and is non-sedimentary. I find Viridian is not good used on it's own at all, but is a good mixer (I'm speaking of watercolour...). Also as Sonni points out it makes excellent, quick darks as it is saturated but also because as a secondary it's already a mixture of blue and yellow.
I don't use viridian for watercolor. It ends up leaving sediments. I use viridian in oils and acrylics because it is a cool green so when mixed with the yellows it makes greens that are not fired up. Many pros use a primary yellow and ultramarine blue. Also you could try for watercolor to use:

ultramarine blue
transparent yellow
hookers green
raw sienna
burnt sienna

painterted
01-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Joe, what kind of pastels do you use, hard ,soft?

ted

nougat
01-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I missed the first class as it was full-bit LOVED today's and want to know about homework and how to submit it. Can anyone help me please?

hi and welcome :)
first you have to have 2 (two) posts before you can upload a pic.
a thread will be created soon titled 'skies homework week 2' or something like that. you will have to post your picture there.

this link is a video tutorial of how to do it. you must pick the 'advanced reply' option.
http://www.screencast.com/users/Yorky/folders/Jing/media/f0c3af8a-085d-44ba-b5d3-aab27d1d8457

nougat
01-22-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't use viridian for watercolor. It ends up leaving sediments. I use viridian in oils and acrylics because it is a cool green so when mixed with the yellows it makes greens that are not fired up. Many pros use a primary yellow and ultramarine blue. Also you could try for watercolor to use:

ultramarine blue
transparent yellow
hookers green
raw sienna
burnt sienna

these water colours are for mixing greens right?
did you say, Jo, that you liked a smooth paper?

thank you for yesterdays class. you have managed to solve the transmission problem :) :) :)
the first (homework) hour went without a glitch. as the demo started, those of us in livestream had a fright when we lost sound and then it froze...but thankfully it settled and worked well till the end.
we did have some people coming in who said that justin had asked them to pay!
there were also some folks who 'stumbled' upon the class loved it and will possibly be back and joining us here on wetcanvas. :) :) :)

THANKS A MILLION Jo it was GREAT!!!

carol_lee
01-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks for another wonderful session... after critiques I tried Justin but after a few minutes was asked to pay... went to second option... livestream and it all worked out fine... there was a time when sound was not clear.... but I saw others were having the same problem which Johannes solved quickly... picture was amazing.... Thanks again!!!

Marvell
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
I love these classes! I learn so much and I so appreciate Jo sharing all his little secret tips that you can't get anywhere else!

chalet_dor
01-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I was in the class today and I just want to thank Johannes for all his hard work! Thank you dor:))

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 09:11 AM

thank you for yesterdays class. you have managed to solve the transmission problem :) :) :)
the first (homework) hour went without a glitch. as the demo started, those of us in livestream had a fright when we lost sound and then it froze...but thankfully it settled and worked well till the end.
there were also some folks who 'stumbled' upon the class loved it and will possibly be back and joining us here on wetcanvas. :) :) :)

Yes for mixing greens. I mentioned cold pressed paper.

Waterplay
01-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Thank You Johannes for sharing your knowledge and expertise and time. Both sessions have been trouble free, the quality of transmission is excellent.
Yesterday's session was most enjoyable and informative and I look forward to trying out what you shared. Your addition of pastels has me intrigued and on the verge of giving them a try... :crossfingers:

uthule13
01-22-2012, 11:39 AM
Jo, as a watercolorist, I thought yesterday's class was the best ever. I've been with you for over a year and really appreciate your including watercolors. I'm still torn about using pastels with wc--afraid they would put works into the mixed media category. I've spent years trying to become a traditional transparent watercolorist and feel guilty using even a dab of white.

Thanks so much for your efforts and generous sharing of your golden nuggets.
Mary

just having fun
01-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Johannes yesterdays demo's were outstanding!. I have been with you for over a year now and have all your videos, I have to say this course is a must have, I for one have learned a great deal more being shown how to do something. Your demo's instructions are the best I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!. Are you planning Seascapes?:wave:

raxu
01-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Jo, as a watercolorist, I thought yesterday's class was the best ever. I've been with you for over a year and really appreciate your including watercolors. I'm still torn about using pastels with wc--afraid they would put works into the mixed media category. I've spent years trying to become a traditional transparent watercolorist and feel guilty using even a dab of white.

Mary

My words exactly! Thanks again for great demos and all the golden nuggets. I could not get the 1. class in skies properly, yet now it was simply a joy!!! Thanks for trying so hard, for our benefit.

Artistic License
01-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Johannes, thank you for sharing your knowledge with the "world". Now I will repaint my ice cream-scoop clouds with negative/positve shapes.

Artcat369
01-22-2012, 01:40 PM
hi Johannes,
thank you again for a stellar class and the demos yesterday! Now for those of us who joined you late in the year, what do you recommend we do to "catch up"? I only participated in your water and skies courses. I do realize I could download your other courses, but wondered if I could still get your critique of my homework on these courses? I don't know if purchasing all of them at this point is wise, vs. starting off with the one or two you think have the most to offer with regards to general knowledge and "golden nuggets." Also, I was wondering how to download and keep the courses if, for example, my computer crashes or something. Once downloaded, can we copy them onto a DVD? I'd like to have access to them via my second computer (laptop) if I travel away from home, for example. thanks, ArtCat:clap:

LADickerman
01-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Are we to use the same pictures for week two's homework only do it in watercolors?

Kenots
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Johannes,
Just love your webinars! Have taken the water and now in the skies one. Have already signed up for the waterfalls next month.
What is the homework for next week?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and love of painting! You are truly an inspiration!

Holly B.
01-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Hi Johannes,
Love all your webinars and they just keep getting better as are my results (even 'tho it doesn't feel like it sometimes). The classes help me to stay motivated to keep trying to improve and inspire with new skills, aka: Nuggets. So THANK YOU for so generously sharing your passion and expertise!

Holly

painterted
01-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I'm trying to down load some of Johanneses videos. Can some one tell me what the "Billing Zip code" is?

ted

chalet_dor
01-22-2012, 05:24 PM
I am assuming that you are downloading the videos from http://www.northlightshop.com Those videos are not free.........so they are asking for the zip code where you live to bill you..........:angel: please be an angel and forgive if I have not understood your question.

painterted
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I've paid for them. They ask for order ID, email address and Billing Zip Code. I'm in Canada so I have a postal code. If I use this - no luck.

ted

domeland
01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
The billing zip code should be the same as your postal code. Also do you have an account with northlight? If you do just sign in and look for the downloads in your account and they should be there for you. I hope this helps you.

chalet_dor
01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I go to http://www.northlightshop.com/ and then I sign in they recognise me and click on my account and then click on downloads.............and have no problems..........good luck

CatherineOnTheLake
01-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Hi Ted. If you continue to have this problem try contacting Sharon at 1-855-842-5267 extension 13414. Try leaving a message for her during business hours (Central time) Mon-Fri. I think that is a toll free number from Canada. Sharon was great and fixed a problem that I had in December. P.S. Say hi to her for me!

painterted
01-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks Dor.

ted

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Mary
Yes they would be a mixed media. But don't you owe it to the beauty of the painting if you can improve it with pastels? Doesn't beauty overirde self imposed rules?

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Joe, what kind of pastels do you use, hard ,soft?

ted
Soft

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 06:59 PM

For small watercolors, definitely clod pressed. If I do a full sheet and need good wet on wet control I would use rough paper. All in all cold pressed is my favorite. It also takes pastels, rough paper does not work well with pastels.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Yes for greens

Yes for mixing greens

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Johannes yesterdays demo's were outstanding!. I have been with you for over a year now and have all your videos, I have to say this course is a must have, I for one have learned a great deal more being shown how to do something. Your demo's instructions are the best I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!. Are you planning Seascapes?:wave:
Yes Seascapes are in the works.

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 07:02 PM

Mary
Thank you!

Johannes Instructor
01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
hi Johannes,
thank you again for a stellar class and the demos yesterday! Now for those of us who joined you late in the year, what do you recommend we do to "catch up"? I only participated in your water and skies courses. I do realize I could download your other courses, but wondered if I could still get your critique of my homework on these courses? I don't know if purchasing all of them at this point is wise, vs. starting off with the one or two you think have the most to offer with regards to general knowledge and "golden nuggets." Also, I was wondering how to download and keep the courses if, for example, my computer crashes or something. Once downloaded, can we copy them onto a DVD? I'd like to have access to them via my second computer (laptop) if I travel away from home, for example. thanks, ArtCat:clap:
Yes you can store the downloaded files any which way you want as long as it is for your personal viewing.
I will address the remaining homework next week.

Donald_Smith
01-23-2012, 07:31 AM

ultramarine blue
transparent yellow
hookers green
raw sienna
burnt sienna

Thank you Johannes!
Donald

jillmc3
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Are the finished paintings from Saturday posted anywhere? I've been trying to find them to work with until the videos are available for download.

Thanks again for another wonderful session! I will miss this Saturday, but plan to purchase these asap.

:music: :heart: :music::thumbsup:

cgalin
01-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Will the notes be available in pdf format for the Skies class ?

Johannes Instructor
01-23-2012, 08:27 PM
Will the notes be available in pdf format for the Skies class ?
No only in the recorded purchasable videos.

jezurus
01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
You're very welcome!

jezurus
01-24-2012, 05:55 AM
I love those pictures, Jezurus. Thank you for sharing them with all of us.
You're very welcome!

Johannes Instructor
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Are the finished paintings from Saturday posted anywhere? I've been trying to find them to work with until the videos are available for download.

Thanks again for another wonderful session! I will miss this Saturday, but plan to purchase these asap.

:music: :heart: :music::thumbsup:

Here

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2012/135220-Bass_Harbor_Lighthouse.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2012/135220-Finished_Sunset.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jan-2012/135220-Finished_Fogscape.jpg

domeland
01-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Very nice! Thank you for posting the paintings. :)

Johannes Instructor
01-24-2012, 11:40 AM
I have just been informed that all the mp4's of the water course and tree course are complete. I checked the list myself.

Deb Leger
01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi Jo,

Saturday was another fantastic class! :clap:

I didn't have any technical problems whatsoever on Saturday. :thumbsup:

I remember when I first started lessons with you, maybe about ten or eleven years ago. Our way of communicating and listening during a class was through yahoo messenger and you had a video cam set up which was no where near as sophisticated as the equipment you use today. I think Kenny was a teenager then and would often help you during classes. Patty was the rock behind you (and most likely still is!) and your classes came to us live from your home in Mexico. We didn't mind the great amount of lag while watching you paint and teach - we were just amazed to be actually watching you paint 'live' and teach 'live' from half way across the world! (The fact that video was even available online like that was just so technologically advanced at that time!) Classes were about ten to twelve people and we all happily paid to be there, knowing what priceless information we were being gifted with. When you visited Toronto, Canada before your move here, we met at Susan's home in Kitchener / Cambridge for a workshop and you gave me a huge gorgeous California Mission watercolour painting for helping you out with some things. It still hangs in a place of honour in my home and still looks as beautiful as the day you painted it.

Fast-forward ten years amidst the leaps and bounds of internet technological advances and .... classes have "come a long way, Baby!"

I'm slowly buying all your class recordings because they are truly priceless! No matter how many classes I've taken with you, I always learn more and more with each new class.

For those who think watching Jo paint on video is awesome, watching him paint in real time is even better! It may take more time but one day, I'm going to be at one of your workshops again!!

Thank you again for all you do for us, Jo! :)

Deb Leger in Eastern Ontario

sue.w
01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
For those who think watching Jo paint on video is awesome, watching him paint in real time is even better!

Deb,
I loved reading of your long history of learning from Johannes. How wonderful for you and others who have been there from the beginning.

Happily I can share that our local art association has booked Johannes to teach a 3 day workshop at the beginning of May. Members of course have a lead time to register, but it's nice that it is open to non members too.

Also, as guest adjudicator for the association's art show in March he will be giving a free 2 hour talk/demo on March 3rd; a preview to the workshop.

So those of us in the Central East part of Ontario will be able to do just as you said - have the great opportunity to take instruction from Johannes - Live & in Person!

How cool is that!:clap:

Sue
The west edge of Eastern Ontario!

mlgk
01-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I bought lessons 3&4 Painting Landscapes From Photos July 2011 and never could open the wmv files until now when I downloaded Flip for Mac per your instructions Sat. However the pictures were postage size and I couldn't even see them with a magnifying glass. So am very reluctant to purchase any more. Any ideas on how to get them larger. Also the mp4 lesson 3 file was so large on the monitor I can't see the controls and I can only get the first picture. It does not progress. . Any suggestions?

Rosemarie
01-26-2012, 12:06 PM
I bought lessons 3&4 Painting Landscapes From Photos July 2011 and never could open the wmv files until now when I downloaded Flip for Mac per your instructions Sat. However the pictures were postage size and I couldn't even see them with a magnifying glass. So am very reluctant to purchase any more. Any ideas on how to get them larger. Also the mp4 lesson 3 file was so large on the monitor I can't see the controls and I can only get the first picture. It does not progress. . Any suggestions?
When you use an application look in the menus to see how to zoom. Using Mac you have in the Finder a Help Menu too. What you are describing doesn't have anything to do with the files per se.
Cmd + plus key usually zoom in and Cmd + minus key zooms out.

sprtdc
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
This is my first post, even though I've been following along on WC and have been taking Jon's Saturday classes. I'm hoping to submit the homework this week and am basically posting this to get my 2 required posts in. Having a heck of a time figuring out the system.

Shadow_2010
01-26-2012, 05:31 PM
:wave:Wet Canvas is a maze! i am still hunting for where the homework for last Sat.'s class has been posted. I don't understand about the "2 postings" hope this counts as one also?
I went to the Welcome forum to post and could find no where to do it, I think we tutorials here for WC! This site is not totally user friendly.
I love the Sat. classes and am sad that I didn't discover them ten years ago like Deb. What a great teacher, he is!
I'm going to go hunting again for the homework,,, wish me luck!
Peggysue.

CatherineOnTheLake
01-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Hi Shadow 2010!
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. I know it is confusing as it was for me when I started using this site. As for the homework this week, just click your browser to go back one page. Then move your cursor down two threads to the one called Essentials of Painting Skies - Homework Week 2. If you go to the first post on that thread you will see Johannes' entry and TWO pictures that he has posted for our homework. I hope this works. (I wish I could cut and paste the link right to this thread for you, but it doesn't seem to work!)
Good luck! :) Catherine
P.S. It appears that to be a painter these days one has to ALSO be a computer whiz???? LOL

Rosemarie
01-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Click on "Partner: WetCanvas Live! with Johannes Vloothuis" at the top of this page and you will come to starting page with all the threads.

susanc
01-27-2012, 11:04 AM
I think Rosemarie's way is best because it's a great shortcut. It gets you back to the "front page" (or directory) for all of Johannes' topics any time you are in a Johannes-related thread.

You'll get the following page when you follow her instructions. You might want to bookmark it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

The homework link for our current week is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981732
When you scroll down Johannes' front page, it's the link titled:
Essentials of Paintings Skies - Homework Week 2

Johannes has a real talent for translating John F. Carlson into English. I don't know how many times I've read Carlson's Guide, and would have had to keep reading it to equal the clarity of one class by Johannes! (Especially skies. My mind's still a bit dizzy over all the different cloud lightening and cooling properties.)

painter 55
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
Dear Jo. I am glad that problems are being worked out for students experiencing difficulties. My wish is that I had enough money to purchase those lovely paintings you publish. I am glad that you have started using your own work as examples as well as pointing out other professional painters for worthy review. I started with you in early 2011 and truly appreciate what your instruction has done for my painting. I also want to mention the fact that no matter how 'busy' you were last year when I was having difficulty with my computer you took the time and made the effort to make sure I was not excluded. You even answered one of my emails past midnight in my Eastern timezone, last year. You are a gem of a human being as well as a great instructor of art.

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2012, 06:42 PM
I' m letting you all know that you can confidently purchase and download the Essentials of Painting Trees and Essentials of Painting Water courses. I have checked the files in Northlight myself and I found them to be all correct now. To purchase these and any other previous courses just go to
http://improvemypaintings.com and click on "Buy Recorded Classes"

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
I think Rosemarie's way is best because it's a great shortcut. It gets you back to the "front page" (or directory) for all of Johannes' topics any time you are in a Johannes-related thread.

You'll get the following page when you follow her instructions. You might want to bookmark it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522

The homework link for our current week is:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=981732
When you scroll down Johannes' front page, it's the link titled:
Essentials of Paintings Skies - Homework Week 2

Johannes has a real talent for translating John F. Carlson into English. I don't know how many times I've read Carlson's Guide, and would have had to keep reading it to equal the clarity of one class by Johannes! (Especially skies. My mind's still a bit dizzy over all the different cloud lightening and cooling properties.)

Yes when you read Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting with the clarity of the classes you have been getting, everything he mentions should be crystal clear. It is not just white clouds that get warmer in the distance, the spooky thing is everything does. Even sunlit snow on mountains and white buildings are warmer far away. I dedicated a portion of a painting demo to address this tomorrow. I don't understand the scientific principle behind it either. Maybe some people can do some research into why.

Johannes Instructor
01-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Dear Jo. I am glad that problems are being worked out for students experiencing difficulties. My wish is that I had enough money to purchase those lovely paintings you publish. I am glad that you have started using your own work as examples as well as pointing out other professional painters for worthy review. I started with you in early 2011 and truly appreciate what your instruction has done for my painting. I also want to mention the fact that no matter how 'busy' you were last year when I was having difficulty with my computer you took the time and made the effort to make sure I was not excluded. You even answered one of my emails past midnight in my Eastern timezone, last year. You are a gem of a human being as well as a great instructor of art.
No man left behind my dear!

Susi B
01-28-2012, 12:34 AM
Hi Jo,
I'd like to put in a request (really a strong plea for help) to review painting rocks and cast shadows and reflected light when you tackle the waterfall series. Better yet, how about a series on just rocks, or "buses and cars" as you like to describe them?

I frequnetly return to the painting I completed the day we painted rocks in the falls to Jenny Lake (and Macpherson's book on Color & Light) but am still not sure I fully understand the placement of cast shadows and reflected light.

How about it - anyone else interested in such a class???
Susi B
www.SusiHavensBezaire.com

nougat
01-28-2012, 06:01 AM
i'm interested in EVERY class... whilst we're on water i'm looking forward to seascapes.... :)

Johannes Instructor
01-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Hi Jo,
I'd like to put in a request (really a strong plea for help) to review painting rocks and cast shadows and reflected light when you tackle the waterfall series. Better yet, how about a series on just rocks, or "buses and cars" as you like to describe them?

I frequnetly return to the painting I completed the day we painted rocks in the falls to Jenny Lake (and Macpherson's book on Color & Light) but am still not sure I fully understand the placement of cast shadows and reflected light.

How about it - anyone else interested in such a class???
Susi B
www.SusiHavensBezaire.com (http://www.SusiHavensBezaire.com)

That will be covered partially in the waterfall course, totally in the rock course coming up in a few months.

Katsan
01-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I have entered the go to webinar, but get a screen message "enable java"
Can you explain? I have done nothing different. Thanks much

Improv
01-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Which browser are you using? Are you on Windows or Mac?
Let us know and we can help you further.

Katsan
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm on Mac - thanks for any help

Sonni
01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Great demo with Pan Pastels, Johannes. Please remember to tell us what kind of paper(s) you were using--sanded or not. Thanks!

lonelm
01-28-2012, 04:21 PM

In Safari under Preferences (click on Safari and choose Preferences on your menu bar at the top of your screen). Then under the security tab make sure your enable Java is checked.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jan-2012/212898-screen-capture.jpg

That should do it.

Improv
01-28-2012, 04:43 PM
And which web browser do you use? In Firefox, you go to the Tools menu, then click Options, then click the Content Tab. Now put a tick mark next to where it says "Enable Java" and "Enable Java Script"

EDIT: I see Judy got back to you first. Thanks Judy! :-)

chalet_dor
01-28-2012, 05:05 PM
In I.E 9 Click on Tools then click Manage add-on's.........look at list and find Java and enable it.:) If you don't see it listed, go to Google search for it, download it and install.

nancysue10
01-28-2012, 05:49 PM
Loved the class on painting skies. Would like to try the Pan Pastels, wondering if there is a preferred brand for them? Also since I have a ton of Arches Watercolor paper what do I need to do to it to use the pastels on it? Thanks again for a wonderful class. Looking forward to the one on Waterfalls!

lonelm
01-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Answer on Jo's behalf.

For the paper and process Jo used for this week's demos we used pan pastels to block in and create our underpainting and then used sticks and pencils to create detail work on each. We found the pan pastels ideal for this and both of us feel that this is an ideal way to begin the painting. With Jo's background in brush mediums the pans lend themselves to carrying the same feel into this dry medium. For the papers we used, these are the ones you saw today and keep in mind our thoughts on them are based on the above workflow. It is our intention to explore them again using just the sticks.

The first painting, the glowing sky with trees and water was done on Clairfontaine Pastelmat from a pad. We used a warm golden colour. We found it blended well but we were unable to get much detail on it because of the soft texture of the paper. It did not take a lot of layers but allowed a few and our subject did not really require it. We did not use spray for this particular painting. We felt we could not push the pastel around enough and had to really stroke it more that we liked. This paper absorbed too much pigment. We did not need several layer to get the job done so this paper did not meet our expectations.

The second, which was the winter stream, was Artspectrum Colourfix Suede and a beige colour. Both Jo and I found it did not allow for many layers. Very early in the painting I felt like I was just pushing the same colours around. Spray did not help much but did allow a bit more working.

The third, the fog Peggy's Cove painting was on Ampersand Pastelbord. I saw Robert's comment about it eating the sponge applicators used in Pan Pastels and boy was he right. I found it to be very toothy and difficult in the early stages of the painting. It did get better but I don't tend to use a lot of layers so it was not something I would use again for pans. Someone on the board mentioned they use alcohol and lay down a base early on to reduce the number of layers required. I think it would be a substrate that would be difficult to ever say, "I ran out of tooth" It really failed for us in our trials but again that is based on the workflow we were using i.e. pan pastels for block in followed by sticks to finish.

The last paper we used was a homemade one from a local store in Cambridge, ON Canada called Pastel Studio (pastelstudio.ca (http://www.pastelstudio.ca/)). The paper is called Lavagrit and it was a light beige. We both loved this paper. It was a fine sanded surface, took lots of layers, spraying it with Spectrafix allowed continued work with no change in pigment. It gave a lovely "dry brush" effect using the Diane Townsend pastels we picked up from him as well and overall it was a great surface for the method we used.

Amandine
01-28-2012, 08:16 PM
For the first time since January 2011, I missed a part of Jo's class. I entered in a bit after 2:00 so I missed the critiques of homeworks. I didn't get critique last week because Jo ran out of time and this afternoon, I wasn't home. Oh la la ! (this is french) :crying:

Now, I'll have to wait for the recordings. Oh la la ! (again) :)

Anyway, those were great classes and while waiting they become available, I'll study your notes, Robert. Good you're here for us. :heart:

Thanks Johannes for another great journey, for all this knowledge you're passing us, for your patience and commitment. You're one of a kind :thumbsup: :heart: :thumbsup:

Sonni
01-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Loved the class on painting skies. Would like to try the Pan Pastels, wondering if there is a preferred brand for them? Also since I have a ton of Arches Watercolor paper what do I need to do to it to use the pastels on it? Thanks again for a wonderful class. Looking forward to the one on Waterfalls!

There is only one brand Pan Pastels--www.panpastel.com

Sonni
01-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks, Judy. You might try Canson Mi Teintes paper smooth side. You can't get many layers with it, but it's good for the underpainting, where you use the softer pastels like Schmincke or Great American...

Is Lavagrit close to the very fine grit of UART? I've found the professional grade of Wallis also eats up the sponges--along with Art Spectrum and Ampersand.

lonelm
01-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks, Judy. You might try Canson Mi Teintes paper smooth side. You can't get many layers with it, but it's good for the underpainting, where you use the softer pastels like Schmincke or Great American...

Is Lavagrit close to the very fine grit of UART? I've found the professional grade of Wallis also eats up the sponges--along with Art Spectrum and Ampersand.

I have tried both sides of mi teintes and do prefer the smooth over the rough. We were just interested in trying different substrates to see where it took us. I have a ton of different surfaces to try so Jo's classes were a natural fit to finally get into them. I do have some UArt various grits but have yet to try them. The Lavagrit is fine but it does not eat the sponges from the applicators, took several layers and took the spray well without changes in colour, loved the texture we got when we used the sticks for the trees. I really liked the feel of it and of those we tried it was the clear winner. We will be exploring more as the classes go on. It is all so subjective depending on what effect you are trying for, what application method you are using. I have definitely got the bug for pastels again. The problem is Jo makes all mediums enjoyable so I can't decide where to settle. Maybe it just means I should continue the adventure to see what island I land on. It makes life interesting. :wink2:

Mato Kuwapi
01-29-2012, 12:12 AM
For future reference. I stumbled on these sky/cloud photos today. They are breathtaking and at times wildly abstract!

Clouds (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.167118543365754.41283.159928490751426&type=1)

Rosemarie
01-29-2012, 01:45 AM

I get it to lately when using Safari. I don't know what has changed. I have the latest Java for Mac so it has something to do with the browser.
I use Firefox instead to GoToMeeting. It works fine.

nougat
01-29-2012, 01:46 AM
JOHANNES
thank you for a great course packed with golden nuggets :)

thank you also for your efforts to assure that all of us get a good transmission. the last class in particular was excellent

thank you :)

marionh
01-29-2012, 03:56 AM
Thank you Johannes for another enjoyable course and for your review on my painting, it is much appreciated as I have always avoided scenes with clouds.

It was interesting to see your use of pan pastels. It is the first time I have seen them demonstrated and I was surprised at the depth of pigment picked up with the brushes, I had thought that it would need several layers to get depth. It is tempting me to go back to pastels, which I love but had to abandon because of the dust.

It's great that you have sorted out the technical problems. Previously I have abandoned several demos as I never had good quality streaming. Thank you for that. It must have taken quite some research and organising.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2012, 08:45 AM
Great demo with Pan Pastels, Johannes. Please remember to tell us what kind of paper(s) you were using--sanded or not. Thanks!

Answered above

paskavau
01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Johannes, many thanks to you for this excellent class. I learned so much things over painting skies.
Robert, many thanks to you too for your very helpfull notes, what should I ever do without them.

Klaus

carol1949
01-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Many, many thanks for this great course, you are a wonderful instructor. Can't wait for the waterfall course, now maybe I will be able to make my
waterfalls LOOK like waterfalls!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

carol1949
01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Robert,
I wish to thank you for your wonderful notes, they are so very helpful. You and Jo are just great! Thank you again.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sgourlayart
01-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Excellent lesson, excellent course, Jo. Much more pleasant without the technical glitches and complaints. Looking forward to the waterfalls course. Have you given any thought to a course with figures/animals in landscapes/cityscapes for visual interest and impact (Sorolla, Degas, JSSargent, David Curtis, etc.)? Would love to see that. Stu

painter 55
01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
I just want to mention a few things about pastels which I had to find out the 'hard way' through experience. They are a dry pigment and it is difficult to handle pastel without some dust presenting itself in the process. When I first got interested in them I kept purchasing different sets of colors (25-225 sticks at a time), not knowing that many of the colors will duplicate in the sets so when I started to organize them I found I had 3-5 of every color and well over a thousand soft pastels--all in varying sets and brands. I would have done well to purchase a good set and add individual pastels as I progressed through painting with them. I became so confused that I found it difficult to remain 'fresh' in my painting; trying all the different colors. I finally realized that unless I stuck only to pastel for the rest of my lifetime I'd never begin to use up my stash. I sold over 500 of them to a friend who is an art teacher and I never missed them. Perhaps Jo can give those who are new to pastel a few hints on how to start out without being overwhelmed in the process. Until yesterday, I thought that pastels were for those of us who like to draw (as well as paint) but seeing how he used the applicators and pans the process has been narrowed down to almost a wet-painting style with a dry medium. Exciting potential there for sure.

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Excellent lesson, excellent course, Jo. Much more pleasant without the technical glitches and complaints. Looking forward to the waterfalls course. Have you given any thought to a course with figures/animals in landscapes/cityscapes for visual interest and impact (Sorolla, Degas, JSSargent, David Curtis, etc.)? Would love to see that. Stu
We will be giving a whole study on Sargent, Sorolla, Zorn, etc.

Improv
01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
We will be giving a whole study on Sargent, Sorolla, Zorn, etc.

Excellent news! Thanks so much! :clap:

Any chance of a studies of Constable and/or Turner as well?

Cheers

Doug

tennisqueen
01-29-2012, 10:05 PM
I can't begin to tell you how much I love and appreciate your golden nuggets and the fact that you have a gift for teaching them. This was another exceptional class and looking forward to the next one!!!
Thank you, Jo!!!!
Judy Your student for life:)

Johannes Instructor
01-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Excellent news! Thanks so much! :clap:

Any chance of a studies of Constable and/or Turner as well?

Cheers

Doug
My son Kenneth will be giving this webinar. he is the one that answers the questions in the webinar. When we announce the course let him know in the thread.

Improv
01-29-2012, 10:46 PM
When we announce the course let him know in the thread.

I don't quite understand. Do you mean let Kenneth know that I am interested in Constable and Turner webinars?

Thanks

Cheers

Doug

Johannes Instructor
01-30-2012, 07:26 AM
I don't quite understand. Do you mean let Kenneth know that I am interested in Constable and Turner webinars?

Thanks

Cheers

Doug
Just post in the thread when it gets opened a few months from now that you want to tknow about these artists.

Improv
01-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Just post in the thread when it gets opened a few months from now that you want to tknow about these artists.

Ahh, ok.

Thanks Jo.

Doug

BumpaBob
01-31-2012, 01:49 AM
I get it to lately when using Safari. I don't know what has changed. I have the latest Java for Mac so it has something to do with the browser.
I use Firefox instead to GoToMeeting. It works fine.
Hey Rosemarie and other Mac users:
What operating system is your Mac running? The latest GoToMeeting requires OSX 10.5 now, and uses the newest Java 11. I tried the download per the instructions on the Webinar and Joh's website, but it would not load on my G4 Mac with the Power PC processor. You will get a message about requiring the Intel processor on your computer. (Much to my chagrin, I can watch GoToMeeting on an older windows-based netbook using Windows XP, although the screen is pretty small! So I run the video into a larger screen; it's still not as clear as on the Mac, tho.)
If you have an older Mac running OSX 10.4.11 or earlier, you will not be able to use GoToMeeting. However both Justin.tv and Livestream do work on the older Mac, so you can watch Joh's broadcasts. And unfortunately we cannot upgrade the non-Intel Mac's up to 10.5 or higher; the computer must have the Intel processor to upgrade to 10.5. That's progress, I guess......

Rosemarie
01-31-2012, 02:08 AM
Hi, BumpaBob! My computer is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. and it has worked with Safari 5.0.5. That changed in october or november when I got the error message that I had to have the latest Java. At that time I did have the latest Java for Mac, newly released, and safari 5.1. I had a mail communication with the Gotomeeting people and they meant it wasn't their problem but Apples.

I downgraded to Safari 5.0.5 and also reinstalled Snow Leopard to being able to upgrade Java to the next to latest version. That worked until two weeks ago! I don't understand what is happening as I during that time haven't installed anything that would have changed the Java. I have last week updated to the latest Java but that didn't help.
It is something with Safari that is the problem I think and I have reported it several times to Apple. Maybe a later version of Safari will work but I am reluctant to try as it is a hassle to downgrade again esp. as the setup worked earlier last year. BUT Firefox does work. It doesn't complain about the Java so it can't be a Java problem.

Then we have the Adobe Flash problem. Adobe doesn't have a flash version that works well on Leopard on PowerPC. I hate it when they think all people have the latest version of computers. That might be true for PC but not for Mac.
MacOs 10.5 does work on PowerPC but the Adobe Flash doesn't! I have a PPC with Leopard 10.5 with a 20" screen but I can't use it with GoToMeeting as the Adobe Flash plug-in doesn't work.

LadyMadonna
01-31-2012, 07:43 AM
Rosemarie ..I am running the exact the same system as you are and I use Google Chrome as my main browser with no problems what so ever. You may want to try that next time. Hope this helps.

Katsan
01-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Thank you everyone! The classes with Johannes - those that I have been able to attend - have been exceptional! But, to expect such tech help from everyone! What a surprise! What a great group this is.
Katsan

BumpaBob
01-31-2012, 07:45 PM
Hi, BumpaBob! My computer is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. and it has worked with Safari 5.0.5. That changed in october or november when I got the error message that I had to have the latest Java. At that time I did have the latest Java for Mac, newly released, and safari 5.1. I had a mail communication with the Gotomeeting people and they meant it wasn't their problem but Apples.

I downgraded to Safari 5.0.5 and also reinstalled Snow Leopard to being able to upgrade Java to the next to latest version. That worked until two weeks ago! I don't understand what is happening as I during that time haven't installed anything that would have changed the Java. I have last week updated to the latest Java but that didn't help.
It is something with Safari that is the problem I think and I have reported it several times to Apple. Maybe a later version of Safari will work but I am reluctant to try as it is a hassle to downgrade again esp. as the setup worked earlier last year. BUT Firefox does work. It doesn't complain about the Java so it can't be a Java problem.

Then we have the Adobe Flash problem. Adobe doesn't have a flash version that works well on Leopard on PowerPC. I hate it when they think all people have the latest version of computers. That might be true for PC but not for Mac.
MacOs 10.5 does work on PowerPC but the Adobe Flash doesn't! I have a PPC with Leopard 10.5 with a 20" screen but I can't use it with GoToMeeting as the Adobe Flash plug-in doesn't work.

Hi Rosemarie:
You have provided an interesting twist to my understanding of the change in processors; I was told to not bother spending money on 10.5 since my two Mac's are G4's....just deal with old age! I guess the flash problem was part of the advice I got. I still love working with the older Mac's and will continue to find ways around such issues.
As I mentioned in the previous post, I use an HP netbook feeding a 23" monitor to get around the GoToMeeting fail and it works OK. F&W uses G.T.M for its other free classes so I have a working solution. Thanks to Johannes for finding the two alternatives, Justin and Livestream; he is a true teacher, really caring that his students get the full message. Well, gotta go -- happy painting!
P.S.: have you contacted the Apple forum at apple.com? There are some real geniuses at the forum who can search out and squash just about any bug in the system! There may already be a discussion on the failure to load the latest Java, as you mentioned. Good luck!

Rosemarie
02-01-2012, 12:33 AM
BumpaBob, I can't get around that one need an Intel machine as Flash isn't supportd for PPC machines nor is Gotomeeting supporting PPC.
If you are going to upgrade you have to get an Intel machine.

BumpaBob
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
BumpaBob, I can't get around that one need an Intel machine as Flash isn't supportd for PPC machines nor is Gotomeeting supporting PPC.
If you are going to upgrade you have to get an Intel machine.

Hi Rosemarie: Yes, you have hit the problem squarely on the head.....need to spend $$$ to stay with Mac. Or just use my little netbook with Win XP. And I was hoping to convince my wife to get a new iMac desktop..... Oh well.. I will be ready for the next course, though. Happy painting! bob.c

Rosemarie
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM
See you in the next class, Bob!

ddbella
02-09-2012, 02:41 PM
I see that Robert will no longer be taking notes for our webinars. Since Yorky added, "sadly" to his post, I'm wondering if Robert is ok. While I have appreciated his notes immensely (even tho I take my own, his are much better), I'm more concerned about him as a person. Since taking your webinars (Johannes) I feel connected to many of the folks who are frequent members. Robert has performed an invaluable service, I hope he's ok.

KennethVloothuisart
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Regarding the masters course I am supposed to give, I was thinking of tracing the historical origins of everything we have taught, from the artists and movements that advocated such concepts. The most relevant artists for what we have taught are the Impressionists and the Holy Trinity, as I call them. However, none of this is a fact since I do not even know if F&W Media will allow such a course that depends solely on the material and photographs from sources other than my own. Johannes, as I understand, has not brought up the topic with the head office, so until I know that we have the executive green light for it, there is no reason why this course should take place.

Improv
02-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Regarding the masters course I am supposed to give, I was thinking of tracing the historical origins of everything we have taught, from the artists and movements that advocated such concepts. The most relevant artists for what we have taught are the Impressionists and the Holy Trinity, as I call them. However, none of this is a fact since I do not even know if F&W Media will allow such a course that depends solely on the material and photographs from sources other than my own. Johannes, as I understand, has not brought up the topic with the head office, so until I know that we have the executive green light for it, there is no reason why this course should take place.

Hi Kenneth-might be a good idea to start a new thread so that more people see your post.

Which three artists are the 'Holy Trinity'? My guess might be Turner, Constable and ? (Claude Lorrain maybe?)

Please keep us posted on the Masters Course.

Improv
02-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Bump!

Ruth04
03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi Jo
any news about when "Essentials of Painting Skies" is available for purchase?
Regards
Mirsa.

Johannes Instructor
03-14-2012, 07:27 PM
Hi Jo
any news about when "Essentials of Painting Skies" is available for purchase?
Regards
Mirsa.
I am still waiting for word from F&W.