PDA

View Full Version : Taking pics of artwork to post.

barriespapa
01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Here I am again just as inept as ever when it comes to using a camera.
It seems to me that whenever I post a painting that it always appears to be right up close and in your face. Is it not true that a painting is best viewed from a distance of at least 3 feet. So how do you post and get that effect without having all unwanted area in the post. I take a picture at about 3 feet away and edit in picasa crop the unwanted area and export resize and it is ready to post here. but the crop is a zoomed in copy is there a way to edit or take the photo, that it is not so close. My Camera is a nikon D 60 With a
AF-S nikkor 18-55 also have a 300 nikon zoom lens. any help in this regard would be well appreciated.
David

westcoast_Mike
01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Sounds like you don't like the size of the posted image. See if limiting the longest side to 600 pixels when you resize it doesn't look better.

barriespapa
01-11-2012, 06:34 PM
I will give that a try mike thanks. I just find that the paintings Ipost appear as they would if you had your nose 12 inches from your face. Which I feel is to close to critique a painting, having said this I may be completely wrong. I would also like to know if for example must your art work be able to stand this type of scrutiny if you were competing in a contest.

allydoodle
01-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I will give that a try mike thanks. I just find that the paintings Ipost appear as they would if you had your nose 12 inches from your face. Which I feel is to close to critique a painting, having said this I may be completely wrong. I would also like to know if for example must your art work be able to stand this type of scrutiny if you were competing in a contest.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes Dave, it probably does have to withstand this type of scrutiny (and more probably) in competitions. Who knows what the judges are looking at when they are contemplating each piece?

As far as posting images, I think when you post smaller images they appear more as if you are viewing them from a distance. The downside is that you might loose the detail, which would make it more difficult for someone to give you a reasonable critique (if that's what you want). You could post two images, one larger and another smaller. I've seen Larry Seiler do that (he's on the Landscape Forum mostly, and he paints in gouache and sometimes oils I think). He sometimes posts a larger version first, then below it a smaller one, so the viewer can see what the painting would look like from a bit of a distance.

Hope this helps.....

Colorix
01-12-2012, 05:51 AM
Or ask people to "ctrl -" to shrink the image on the screen.

I usually post 600 size. Maybe because I have a fairly big screen, but that seems entirely sufficient, while 800 looks huge, and, yes, in your face.

sketchZ1ol
01-12-2012, 07:18 AM
hello
David - looks like you have good gear
so don't worry about that ,
and 3-5 mpxl is good for RAW or JPEG .
> relatively smaller file to store as well ,
but if you have external storage
then what the hey .

Charlie's on point about sizing ;
a competition/preview/whatever
should have specifics about file size
whether a cd or an online submission .
> just follow that
and let whomever make the adjustments .

i look thru a reduction lens when i'm
too dang lazy to get up from my laz-e-boy :)

Ed :}

barriespapa
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Chris Happy you got a good laugh out of this It really is quite funny. It is sort of a pet peeve of mine when people viewing art work get there noses 2 inches away from the painting I like to tell them we are looking not smelling. having said that i will do it myself after looking at the painting from a sensible distance close in to see what i can learn about strokes colors etc. And As you say I suppose art Judges would do the same.
Charlie thanks for your advice I had no idea that you can do that imagine me walking back a few feet to have a better look ha ha ha.
Ed thanks a lot for your input I cans see you know your cameras.
David