PDA

View Full Version : Long term member at end of rope

AllisonR
01-11-2012, 05:15 AM
OK, now I am beyond infuriated. I have been a member for years. Yet for all these years I can not post to open or structured critique forums. Yes, I know there were delays, the wet canvas web developers were working on it... but that was 2008, 2009... it is now 2012. I am not alone. Other members can not post there either, depending on their location or web browser.
All other forums use the little insert image icon (mountain and sun icon above) and this works fine. But the open and structured critique uses the choose file button, WHICH DOES NOT WORK. Every time it is "Ack, there was a problem uploading your image, please email us." I'm tired of emailing. I AM SHOUTING NOW. Fix the problem, or add the insert image icon so members can post!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2012/133314-Screen_shot_2012-01-11_at_11.19.04_AM.jpg

snoball
01-11-2012, 06:25 AM
I think there are a lot of us long-term members who are about ready to let go of that rope. Does no good to post anything any more, it is just lost the next day or two. No chat, no avatar uploads, now no ability to post and have it stay. And if they do ever merge the database it will be so mixed up that no one will even know what is going on. C'est la vie

RCharleston
01-11-2012, 10:10 AM
I can't get an image into the regular critique forum.....only the WIP critique.

~JON
01-11-2012, 10:15 AM
You may let your thoughts be known to the ownership through their publicized contact page:

http://www.fwmedia.com/contactus

AllisonR
01-11-2012, 11:50 AM
You may let your thoughts be known to the ownership through their publicized contact page:

http://www.fwmedia.com/contactus

This links to a longer list of links, which seem to be for book titles, print services, out of print notices, and text messaging services. Do you have an actual, valid link or actual email address please.

snoball
01-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Allison, I sent to contact_us@fwmedia.com

~JON
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM
The link in the previous post is valid and on the page I posted.
Regular postal mail often gets attention and should not be overlooked as an option; there is an address on the page I linked to earlier.

T.Wayne
01-11-2012, 10:22 PM
this site is pissing me off. my posts keep getting delete.

La_
01-12-2012, 01:16 PM
bloody frustrating aint it http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2012/84648-loosingitsm.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2012/84648-confused.gif
be nice if FnW techs would truly make it a priority to fix the many problems properly. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jan-2012/84648-electricf.gif
in the meantime, stay creative :grouphug:

la

OK, now I am beyond infuriated. I have been a member for years. Yet for all these years I can not post to open or structured critique forums. Yes, I know there were delays, the wet canvas web developers were working on it... but that was 2008, 2009... it is now 2012. I am not alone. Other members can not post there either, depending on their location or web browser.
All other forums use the little insert image icon (mountain and sun icon above) and this works fine. But the open and structured critique uses the choose file button, WHICH DOES NOT WORK. Every time it is "Ack, there was a problem uploading your image, please email us." I'm tired of emailing. I AM SHOUTING NOW. Fix the problem, or add the insert image icon so members can post!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2012/133314-Screen_shot_2012-01-11_at_11.19.04_AM.jpg

WFMartin
01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
Seems to me as though Wet Canvas is going down the tubes. Just let it. What can any member do about that? Complaining beyond the normal reporting of problems when you encounter them seems to be quite futile. Wet Canvas has been a great art-information site (for the most part) for many years now; however there is "life after Wet Canvas". :angel:

Just tolerate the problems for as long as you can, and then merely move on.:)

snoball
01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Such a shocking coincidence that this downward spiral began mid-2007,

WFMartin
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
I once worked for a litho company who exhibited many of the same symptoms. Some of that company's symptoms were a paranoia regarding "accurate inventory", a refusal to get even the most simple, and inexpensive things fixed, and nearly incomprehensible responses by the company to questions regarding what the problems were. Several years later, after it tanked, those who were still on board when it did, mentioned that it was like watching an old friend die.

But, die it did, and it was very sad when that happened, but people moved on.

ianuk
01-12-2012, 06:28 PM
I think it's a difficult problem that the technicians face. WC uses the third party software vbulletin. It's probably the most resource hungry type of forum software out there. It's been known to struggle on high tech hardware to handle 20 requests per second. I'm sure there are more requests made by users here. It becomes a problem to update the software to meet the needs of ever more members and, I see new members here all the time.

I therefore, blame all the new members :wink2:

I hope the technicians can resolve any problems.

snoball
01-12-2012, 06:38 PM
"We have a plan in place to upgrade the site to more stable platform this year. "
But we've been getting this "promise" since 2009, how long does it take? (answer: only a few minutes to type)

ianuk
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
"We have a plan in place to upgrade the site to more stable platform this year. "

I think changing to a new software platform is a nightmare in itself. Imagine trying to match the database with new front end software. There are 16411 threads alone, in each of those thousands of posts. Then each members data, image data, advert data, way too much much data. It's almost an impossible task...

Even an update of the current software 3.5.8 - to the latest version 4, will cause problems.

snoball
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
It's almost an impossible task...

Oh I think they've proven that. :lol:

WFMartin
01-13-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm rather a computer illiterate, but even I can sense the end in sight. However, until it tanks completely, I'll still do my best to enjoy the site as long as it is possible.

bushma'am
01-13-2012, 02:03 AM
The new owners were well aware of the size of the the WetCanvas forum before they purchased - was obvious from the start, main reason for purchasing was Commercial Greed, and this greed left them vulnerable to the sales-pitch of the new software inventors with unproven ware; and to the ego of technicians going to make name for selves by being part of this large world wide project..
Well their popularity and fame is going to die along with WetCanvas, once known as the largest world-wide and respected Art forum is already on its way and condemned to 'death row'.
Yes, as Bill says, we will all move on. When 'big boots' try to step into bigger boots before learning the trade, they trip and fall.
And with it goes the largest roster of experienced experts who so generously passed on their knowledge in the past. We all owe them a thanks and they will be missed more than WC forum, they were a goodly part of its popularity and success. We are experiencing the inevitable 'wake' in advance.
Is definitely like watching a dear friend slowly suffer a painful demise. It will leave a large empty hole in the art field.
Do I hear 'Amazing Grace' being placed in a not too far distance?
As it came to pass: Amen.

Faye

WFMartin
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Do I hear 'Amazing Grace' being placed in a not too far distance?
With bagpipes, I hope! :lol:

bushma'am
01-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Definitely bag pipes!!

ff

Andrew
01-14-2012, 02:29 PM
I think changing to a new software platform is a nightmare in itself. Imagine trying to match the database with new front end software. There are 16411 threads alone, in each of those thousands of posts. Then each members data, image data, advert data, way too much much data. It's almost an impossible task...

Even an update of the current software 3.5.8 - to the latest version 4, will cause problems.

Changing platform is more than a nightmare. Been through twice and the effects can and often are devastating. Even if software says it is compatible, the creators tend to be more generous than realistic.

I don't tend to be all gloom and doom. While I share the disappointment in some of the maintenance upgrades and management of WC over the past few years, I also realize the task at hand. It is easy to criticize when you are not the one facing the problem. From a business standpoint, and not just fiscally, keeping this forum running is in F&W best interest. The members here are more than just a pool of potential customers, they are references and points of contact. A potential springboard for bigger and better things. Perhaps we need a more direct person to person interface with F&W to get a better feel for how things are going.

Andrew

snoball
01-14-2012, 03:57 PM
But we've been getting this "promise" since 2009, how long does it take? (answer: only a few minutes to type)

Where does everyone come up with the idea that they have changed platforms? This was a quote from an email from Sarah (sallspaw) saying that the plan was in place for this year. The question about it taking so long was on the promise of a plan, which has been made again and again. It only takes a few minutes, seconds really, to type that promise. The down time was simply for maintenance. And incidentally, every time they do maintenance we lose a bunch of posts but we all have selective memories and expect them to do differently each time.

Doug Nykoe
01-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Clean the slate (bugs) and start over… to think it lasted this long was an achievement in itself.

~