PDA

View Full Version : how to start with acrylics, questions about acrylics?

wetbob
01-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I ve a couple of questions

-when do you clean brushes, right after using (in the sink?)
-how do you achieve smooth blendings
-my acrylics dry too quick, i see it drying on my palette
-how much colours do you put on your palette
-how to clean brushes
-which palette
-which brushes for an alla prima effect, how to load your brush

Thnx WB

ribeyedsmile
01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
gee, thats a lifetime of different answers for diferent situations.

Generaly,

Clean up as you go, dont wait too long because acrylic will dry as nonsoluble.

Many use disposable pallettes to start and then move on to palettes like glass or enamel.

Fast drying time attracts artists to acrylics, but "Golden Open" acrylics dry slow like oils.

Blending and How much paint to put out are dependent on you and you habits. Some people set up the whole spectrum for convenient color miving. This means wasting alittle dried paint. Others are methodical and mix the colors and amounts as needed. You must first find out your tendencies and try to work within them.

brushes clean with plain water but sometimes alittle soap and water.

Alla Prima is not driven by brush choice. Alla Prima means "in one coat". Alla Prima does not use glazes or subsequent transparencies. Use the brush that you find comfortable in achieving a particular mark or effect.

Michael

wetbob
01-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Clean up as you go, dont wait too long because acrylic
after about 5 or 10 minutes?
Many use disposable pallettes to
I use about 3 or 4 in one sitting, is this normal? And the acrylics dry really fast on it
brushes clean with plain water but
The cadmiums in the sink?

wetbob
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Alla Prima is not driven by brush choice. Alla Prima means "in one coat
Can i use my pighair brushes/black sables simultaniously for acrylics and oils?

gaykir
01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Many of your questions will elicit varied responses because each of us paints a little differently from one another. A lot of the answers to your questions can be found in the information kiosk at the top of the forum page - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=329 .

We also have a search tool you might try. There are many threads that may provide the detailed answers you are looking for. You can find the search tool in the upper right side of the page. Good luck - I hope we see you back again soon.

Charlie's Mum
01-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Keep oils and acrylics brushes separate - the two mediums don't mix!

The exception is to do an acrylics underpainting for oils on top - NOT the other way though!

I wouldn't advise using sable brushes for acrylics - unless you're a millionaire?

When laying a brush down, put it in a saucer of water to keep it wet/damp -
a wet sponge on the saucer should do the trick - it will dry quickly otherwise and be unusable until you spend a lot of time and effort cleaning it with paint brush cleaner.

If leaving your painting for more than a couple minutes, cover your palette to keep paint soft.

Keep a misting spray handy to mist both painting and palette.
How many disposable palette papers you use depends on how big a mixing you make of each colour.

Use common sense about the amount of paint you put out - if painting small scale, 1/4" at a time should suffice - judge by how much it takes to paint an area of choice ....... if it's big, you'll need more!
Sometimes use paint directly from the tube to spread over a large area.

At the end of the session, clean brushes by removing excess paint onto paper (towels or scrap), rinse thoroughly, clean with soap and rinse again - you want the paint out of the ferrule area to keep brush head flexible. Dry either flat or with the brush hanging head down - not resting on anything.

check this thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278190) out ... be sure to follow this one to the original thread because there have been recent additions.

idylbrush
01-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Can i use my pighair brushes/black sables simultaniously for acrylics and oils?

I personally, would not use the same brushes for oils and acrylics.

If brushes seize up with dried paint, use Winsor Newton brush cleaner. Ideally clean before it gets to that point but all is not lost if you have paint dry in a brush.

I happen to like synthetic brushes with acrYlics, but, that is a personal preference.

Consider a stay wet palette. Also a spray bottle.

Charlie's mum has great advice.

Clean brushes in a container. When water is dirty place in a larger bucket and allow water to evaporate. Hardened acrylic can be removed and sent to the landfill. If you are on a septic system it might not be advisable to clean brushes in the sink except for final cleaning. I use several containers for water, one with water and soap for cleaning, they all get dumped into a five gallon pail, evaporated and sent to the landfill. That is per the suggestion of the local environmental office.

wetbob
01-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Thnx all for your replies! WB