PDA

View Full Version : from landscape to abstract

levanty
01-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Is abstract accidental painting or deliberate strokes?
Every time I try an abstract, I throw it out.
I normally copy from photos and am very focused on detail.

A friend of mine who really appreciates art recently presented a challenge.
She asked me to copy an abstract painting for her since she couldn't find any prints to buy and truly loves this painting.

At first glance, it looked very easy. It actually looked like a bird painted by a 5 year-old in kindergarten. It is by Karel Appel (titled The Cry of Freedom). http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jan-2012/980793-cry_of_freedom.jpg

The funny thing is...as soon as I thought I was finished, I began noticing all the little strokes and variations of colour that couldn't possibly have been accidental let alone done by a 5 year-old!

How does one "let go" and do abstract like this?
It is simple yet intentional, random yet precise.
Any clues would be awesome. Thanks

Phranque
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd suggest for you to practice your brush strokes and do another piece all together inspired by the style of the one showing.

ribeyedsmile
01-09-2012, 12:32 PM
This style of painting is one that wants splatter or incidental material reactions. There isn't really an accident so much as acceptable chance occurance.

It is free painterly response.

Each artist is a blend of emotions and tendencies. Some artists like painstaking details while others want the thing completed in moments. There is that personal attitude and attack that the artist tries to emphasize.

You will have great difficulty reproducing that particular painting due to all the variables of material and more importantly, his expression in those materials.

If your particular ambience or mood isn't in line with this style then your friend has set a task for you which conflicts. But maybe YOU want that artists attitude to be merged with your repitoire of painting techniques.

I myself am a chamelion of sorts and will work in formal styles of the early masters but will quite readily embrace emotional "abstract expresionism". I even create hybrids that set up rigid painting adjacent to free form styles.

If you like Karel Appel's style, do it on your own as an exporation of this form of expression and not to reproduce this painting.

levanty
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Thank you for the advice. It is much appreciated.

levanty
01-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Each artist is a blend of emotions and tendencies.
I myself am a chamelion of sorts and will work in formal styles of the early masters but will quite readily embrace emotional "abstract expresionism". I even create hybrids that set up rigid painting adjacent to free form styles.

If you like Karel Appel's style, do it on your own as an exporation of this form of expression and not to reproduce this painting.

Thank you for the insight. It has helped me tremendously. Here is an original I just finished. Although it is abstract, I worked very hard on it and gave it the precision it deserved. Please let me know what you think.

It's called CITY FISH.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jan-2012/980793-city_fish.JPG

levanty
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I'd suggest for you to practice your brush strokes and do another piece all together inspired by the style of the one showing.

Merci!

Ms Nan
01-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Oh this is very good. I don['t usually care much for abstracts, but yours has a lot of interesting shapes, colors, sky, water tank and the sea creature. Just want to look at it and look at it. I'd say that is a success!

ribeyedsmile
01-20-2012, 09:35 PM
ahhh...freedom to be yourself

OkeeKat
01-20-2012, 10:43 PM
Looks like you had fun!!
Freedom from the detailed! I'm one so used to being detailed and its harder for me not to be, so can understand.

levanty
01-23-2012, 11:55 AM
I could have painted this one forever. The only problem is that I promised to give it to my daughter and she came by to pick it up. Sometimes it's best to "let go" before it gets overdone and ruined. It was really fun.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2012/980793-lizard2.jpg