PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Riot - Week of March 24-30

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 10:42 PM
I know, I know...it's only Friday the 21st, BUT...we just signed a sales contract to purchase a 2 acre mountain home and I will be over my head for the next few days supervising work crews getting my house ready to sell. I'm more artist than homemaker so this is going to be a chore. Since I have no memory anyway, I will surely forget to do this post by Sunday night unless I just do it now.

For those of you new to this weekly thread, Rd2ruin came up with the idea of having a weekly subject that we all paint and post so we can compare each artist's interpretation of the subject. These are not timed paintings. They are studies of a subject. Sundiver's great selection of subjects last week, gave everyone a subject they could feel comfortable with, so I, too, will post three subjects. You may choose to work with a whole picture or to select a portion of a picture to focus on. That's the interpretive part.

#1: A Poppy with Iron Fence
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2003/14550-poppies_and_iron_fence.jpg

#2: (floppy) Miranda's Hat
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2003/14550-Miranda_2002_in_hat.jpg

#3: (jaloupy) 5 Cents a Gallon
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Mar-2003/14550-5_cents_a_gal_a.jpg

Let me know if these are not acceptable and I'll come up with a different batch.

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 10:45 PM
For those of you who wish to take on Miranda, she is a three year old red-headed (auburn), freckle-faced whirlwind. You of course can interpret her any way you wish.

sundiver
03-21-2003, 11:34 PM
Great selection. Mikki! Thanks.
I'm off to bed- it's 12:30 a.m. and I've been busier than a mosquito at a nudist convention all week, feeling totally fried- but can't wait to sink my teeth into one of these a.s.a.p.

chookbrown
03-22-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by sundiver
I've been busier than a mosquito at a nudist convention all week,

Mwahahaha.... you must be Aussie with an expression like that.... too funny..

Chooky (flat out like a lizard drinkin'.....)

Dark_Shades
03-22-2003, 02:05 AM
your place sounds wonderful Mikki..... hope we are in for a treat of paintings from there :)

...... Lolol Sundiver hee hee heee

Artaholic
03-22-2003, 02:12 AM
Mikki, think I will , I am having an orchid block so maybe I will try something new!! Gerry

Mo.
03-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Great pics Mikki...all very challenging, now which one to do? :)

Mo.

Smudger
03-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Did a flower last week and i'm too scared to try the portrait, so it's the jalopy for me... not quite sure what to do with it tho':eek:

xaenee
03-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Hi. I was just wondering... is this open to everyone?

Dark_Shades
03-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by xaenee
Hi. I was just wondering... is this open to everyone?

.... yes it is xaenee ....... look out for further weekly ones too ..... welcome aboard :)

Mikki Petersen
03-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Yes, Xaenee, we welcome all comers to these exercises. In fact, the more who join in, the more fun it is. Welcome aboard and I'm looking forward to your post(s).

xaenee
03-24-2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks. Most of of the other weekly post projects like this said newbies welcome too.. just making sure! :)

sweetiness
03-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Awsome picture selection, 1mpete. I'm going to try Miranda. She is sooo adorable! I've never tried a portrait from a black and white so I hope I can do this. I may give the jaloupy a shot too. That would be a painting I would love to hang on my wall if I can pull it off.
Good luck with your busy week. Your new house sounds lovely!:)

Mikki Petersen
03-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Xaenee, you will find that most things on Wet Canvas are open to all comers. Some of the porjects in the Art ProJects Forum are limited by medium or sometimes by the number of people who can join in. Here in the Pastel Forum though, as in most forums I've visited, all are welcome to jump right in and join the fun. Wet Canvas is a great way to stretch your skills and be inspired to try new things.

Drumbeat-trish
03-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Great pics to choose from Impete -Miranda looks like a real cute handful-beyond my abilities to attempt though.
Your new home sounds awesome-hope we get to some pics of it soon.

sundiver
03-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Okay. okay, why am I always the first one to post? Like some hyper little kid who just can't wait- but this time I waited from Friday till Tuesday and the thread is disappearing, and I'm STILL the first one to post! I guess you're all taking time to perfect your masterpieces, which will look even better compared to my silly truck.
This is oil pastel on yellow tag, 8x10. I thought it was a little too bright so I washed over it with a mixture of sepia watercolor and India ink. I didn't have to worry about getting bogged down in details because I know diddly squat about trucks and just drew the shapes I saw.
Oh, and I reversed the image, don't know why, it just felt more comfortable that way.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Mar-2003/6393-truckwithsepiawash.jpg

Mikki Petersen
03-25-2003, 09:25 PM
You sure took that ho-hum photo and turned it into a great painting. Your truck is terrific, looks just like I remember the real truck in the ghost town of Bodie, CA and the pumps do look more natural on that side for some reason. I also think the wash you did really added an old time look to the whole piece which is very appropriate.

As for posting...I'm still trying to find moments to work on the portrait from last week, LOL. We are in the process of getting ready to sell our house and move to the mountains and the whole timetable just took a very tight shift. I have to be ready to show by Sunday and have the house sold within 17 days or we loose the property we intend to buy because of another offer! So I have no time at all right now.

Luvy
03-25-2003, 11:01 PM
Well I had to take the easy one. I've never done a car and flowers ugh

Mikki Petersen
03-26-2003, 02:12 AM
Luvy, this is just great! You captured her coloring well. I had to laugh when you said you took the easy one! For me, this would have been the most agonizing. I can't wait to show this to Miranda and her Mom. They will enjoy seeing it, I'm sure.

Dark_Shades
03-26-2003, 02:51 AM
Your truck is great Sundiver...... I did try that one out, but I got bogged down in details lol.... and found the 8.5 x 11" TOO SMALL :eek: ... yikes whats happening to me lol ..... yours turned out great..... did you draw it that way or is it the painting transposed?

Luvy you got ya stamp all over that portrait ..... well done

bnoonan
03-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Nice portrait Luvy. I'm the same way - choose the easy path - the portrait and yet that truck was so enticing. Mikki - she's going to love this.

Sundiver - love the fact that you reversed the image. I was trying to crop out a portion of the picture I could work with since I love old trucks but nothing came to mind. You solved that problem.

Great colors and excellent effect.

Barb

Dima
03-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Hi Mikki and the riotgang,

Wonderful truck and a great little Miranda, Sundiver and Luvy.
What is a tag, Sundiver? and do you often apply oilpastels over washes or underpaintings?
I am still trying to find out as much as I can about oilpastels and I think we should in the near future start a thread or article where beginners can go for the basics.

Here is my third one.
Did this last sunday afternoon in little over an hour.
May post some steps in seperate thread.
Mikki I am afraid your littlle Miranda has rapidly grown older and I am to blame:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2003/2034-11.jpg

Dick

Mo.
03-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Sundiver: That truck is super, I thought about it...and that's all...:D so went the same way as Luvy...great portrait you have done Luvy!

Here's mine done with a wash of oil pastels and turps, just using 4 colours, buff, umber, dark brown and orange. About an one hour+30 mins work. Great fun.:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Mar-2003/5154-mirandasketch.jpg

cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
03-26-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dima

Wonderful truck and a great little Miranda, Sundiver and Luvy.
What is a tag, Sundiver? and do you often apply oilpastels over washes or underpaintings?
I am still trying to find out as much as I can about oilpastels and I think we should in the near future start a thread or article where beginners can go for the basics.

Here is my third one.
Did this last sunday afternoon in little over an hour.
May post some steps in seperate thread.
Mikki I am afraid your littlle Miranda has rapidly grown older and I am to blame:

Dick

Sorry Dick missed your post... I'm just getting back into oil pastels too, it's great fun. Love your portrait. :)

cheers,
Mo.

sweetiness
03-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Dima, another good one. Your right, she does look a little older though. I think they have a job for you in the missing persons department. {and what she may look like today} Gosh, i'm sorry if that was in poor taste.

Oh my, Mo. this is wonderful. 1 hour 30 minutes? can I be you?

Sundiver, I love it. Great work. Way better than I can do. :D

sundiver
03-26-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Dima

Thanks, Dick. :) Tag is the kind of paper used to make file folders, a bit heavy, and not textured.
I'm in the experimental stage of oil pastels myself...have tried a couple with underpaintings, still trying. I would love to see a tutorial on oil pastels from people with some experience.

Dawn, I flipped the image in the computer and moved the pumps closer before drawing it.
Luvy, you picked the EASY one??? lol
Great portraits, all three of them!
Let's see another truck or two, maybe from someone who knows a discombobulator from a hoodleaddle! :D

Luvy
03-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Wow Love seeing everyone doing the same pic. So many differeent styles.

Sundiver Yea the easy one This one is hard LOL I'm not doing autos ever again LOL I couldn't get the prespective right I'm lucky it looks like a truck LOL

Think Mo captured her the best. I think I made my face too round. Oh well it's practice

Well here's the truck It's a truck people LOL

bnoonan
03-26-2003, 07:52 PM
You guys - these are looking really good. Love the different ways you captured all the images provided.

I'm not going to attack this one - too busy with a few other things. Have fun!!!

keep them coming. Barb

Dick - no experience with oil pastels I'm afraid but I'll be watching from whomever offers a tutorial. B

Mikki Petersen
03-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Wow! Dick and Mo, you've each done great little Mirandas. Mo I really like your limited palette on the portrait. Luvy, I like your truck and your spirit for taking a whack at it. I'm kind of surprised nobody took a stab at the wrought iron fence. That is the one I thought would be the easiest. Shows what I know, eh?

I'm so jealous of all the great work going on. I want to get back to painting so bad:( . Oh well, once we are moved, I never have to move again and I will have a nice big studio to hibernate in and a whole national forest to wander. Hold that thought for me while I get back to cleaning and packing.:mad: :crying:

Smudger
03-27-2003, 11:40 AM
:clap: Great work as usual... i'm still working on my jalopy but it will be finished by the weekend, promise! the baby has had a virus of some sort this week so i haven't had much time or sleep... well that's my excuse... but i have got a couple of pics for next weeks if nobody has already volunteered:D

sundiver
03-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Smudger
[i have got a couple of pics for next weeks if nobody has already volunteered:D [/B]

Super! Can't wait! :D

Mikki Petersen
03-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Hooray for Smudger! I will be able to join in next week! I miss my studio so much...this packing/cleaning stuff is a lot like work!

Artaholic
03-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Finished , glad we did not have a time limit, like 40 min. or so whew!! Gerry
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2003/18853-fence_and_poppy_(2).JPG

Smudger
03-28-2003, 03:05 PM
:clap: the colour in the ironwork is superb:clap:

Artaholic
03-28-2003, 03:16 PM
I did not get a chance to compliment you all!!:clap: :clap:

Mo, looks like you are doing great with the oil pastels

Luvy I'm so in awe of you doing two of the paintings.

Dima, sometimes the age creeps in :rolleyes: I did puppys in oils and they looked a lot older than the photo.

Sundiver , great truck

Mo.
03-28-2003, 06:58 PM
Mikki... good luck with the move... your new home sounds like heaven, I'm so jealous....you shouldn't be crying you should be dancing with sheer joy...you lucky so and so. :)

smudger: looking forward to seeing your jalopty and next weeks pics... good on you!

Cheers,
Mo.

Mo.
03-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Artaholic
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Mar-2003/18853-fence_and_poppy_(2).JPG

Oh my Gerry...this is an absolutely TERRIFIC piece of work!:clap:
Well done you!:clap:

cheers,
Mo.

sundiver
03-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Gerry. that fence is amazing; beautiful work overall. :)

Drumbeat-trish
03-28-2003, 09:37 PM
Geepers artoholic -that is gorgeous !!!!!! . OK I spent 3 1/2 hours reconfirming for myself that flowers foliage and I don't mix and have now added fences to that list !!!!!!!!!!! But I'll post what I did anyway. And if I don't practice I won't learn right ? :)

The colours are off on my scanner and what looks blue is more a deep violet and there is alot more red/rusty colour in there.
Yah anyways here';s my attempt at the poppy lol

sweetiness
03-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Artiholic, a beautiful painting. You know what your doing with those pastels.

Trish, Trish, Trish. I don't understand why you are so hard on your self. It's unjustified. Take a deep breath, look at your painting and see how good it is. Just admit to yourself that it looks great. Because it really does. At least I really like it. Alot.
If you keep tellin' yourself your no good, then that's darn well what's gonna happen to ya! Bannish those negative thoughts! theyre wrong! wrong!

Artaholic
03-29-2003, 12:17 AM
Thank you , thank you every one!! Blush!
Trish , you did a great job ,wasn't that a fence bugger ??. I had a terrible time trying to get the perspective right . No one commented on the foilage I was so tired that I really faked it there. (thanks for not noticing) Trish your flower is so nice , don't try to say you can't.

I think this was the hardest one to do :D :D But then I didn't try to do the others so I am prejudiced LOL
Gerry

Mikki Petersen
03-29-2003, 02:49 AM
Originally posted by Artaholic

Gerry, this is the subject I thought most people would choose. I'm glad you did because you did a stunning job on it. The fence is grand with all those great colors and the poppy is perfect. What I'm most impressed with is the great job you did on the foilage. Poppy leaves are kinda wierd but you did an outstanding job on it!

Mikki Petersen
03-29-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Drumbeat-trish
Geepers artoholic -that is gorgeous !!!!!! . OK I spent 3 1/2 hours reconfirming for myself that flowers foliage and I don't mix and have now added fences to that list !!!!!!!!!!! But I'll post what I did anyway. And if I don't practice I won't learn right ? :)

The colours are off on my scanner and what looks blue is more a deep violet and there is alot more red/rusty colour in there.
Yah anyways here';s my attempt at the poppy lol

Jeepers, Trish! Your painting is gorgeous, too! Get off your own case, will ya! I cannot imagine what you would want to have different here. It's a great painting! Next time you post, brag a little! Be proud of what you are accomplishing. You deserve it!

Dark_Shades
03-29-2003, 05:11 AM
Excellent work you two, Art and Trish ..... well done :clap:

E-J
03-29-2003, 05:15 AM
Gerry , that ironwork looks so solid ~ and all the colours you've got in there! ~ beautiful, and a much more attractive image than the reference photo.

guilliame
03-29-2003, 02:13 PM
Goodwork in here again,well done everybody:clap:
Sundiver,i like the overall effect of your painting very nice interpretation,
Luvy,nice one good likeness.
Dima,good work for an hour i'll look forward to the progress.
Mo,really good too,love her expression.
Artaholic,nice detail in the wrought iron fence,like your style of the background ferns and poppy.
Drumbeat-trish,i like your version too well done,i thought this and the truck were the hardest to do.
So i tried the floppy,haven't really caught the likeness,it's only 6x5 maybe should have drawn a bigger version,impete i hope this cutie has blue eyes
:D

Smudger
03-30-2003, 05:27 AM
OK so i didn't quite finish, the truck still needs tightening up (especially the wheels) and the landscape needs more texture but the week has got away with me this week so i will have to finish another time... right i'm off to sort out next weeks riot:D

PS. sorry couldn't resist personalising the number plate:D

Dark_Shades
03-30-2003, 07:36 AM
LOL Smudger...... well done to you on all accounts :D :clap:

meowmeow
03-30-2003, 07:56 AM
Beautiful pictures everyone!
Good luck with your new house Mikki! It sounds exciting, even if it is a lot of work!

:)

Sandy

Artaholic
03-30-2003, 12:30 PM
:clap: guilliame, nice portrait, especially like the way you painted the straw hat. Looks like you are liking portraits.

smudger, your truck and the gas tanks etc. are great . These Riots keep us on our toes . Fun!! Good painting:clap:

Mikki Petersen
03-31-2003, 01:49 AM
Guilliame, great portrait and in fact she does have blue eyes.

Smudger, I love the personalized license plate! This is a great rendering and I don't think the truck needs anything more. Love it!

daydrmr317
04-01-2003, 01:48 PM
I usually do portraits, but I thought the old truck was very interesting. This is my first post on WetCanvas, but I look forward to doing more.

Thanks!

Vanessa ;)

bnoonan
04-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Welcome Vanessa!!! this may be your first post but I guarantee it won't be your last. This is a very supportive and addictive thread and you'll find you learn so very much and have a lot of fun doing so.

Great truck! Keep them coming!!!

Barb

sundiver
04-01-2003, 03:11 PM
Vanessa, welcome! Great to have you on board. Stick around, it's fun in here!
I'm late in commenting on all the terrific trucks and Bill's nice portrait. Wonderful work, guys!
(and now on to new Riots and new challenges......)

Artaholic
04-02-2003, 12:39 AM
Vanessa, you did a really nice job on the truck. You will find that you can get all kinds of support and advice here. I can't believe how sharing the artists are. We will be looking forward to more of your work. Gerry:) :clap: :clap:

Smudger
04-02-2003, 03:05 AM
Welcome Vanessa... great truck:clap: don't forget this weeks riot, it's a water torture special:D