PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Naomi

hummerseeker
01-08-2012, 01:39 AM
This is my niece's baby girl, and I'm trying to do her justice. I'm so used to painting birds, and I'm not sure this is coming out right. My reference photo is not the greatest, but it's the best pose I could "steal" from mom's Facebook photos :eek: C and C welcomed and encouraged :)

wetbob
01-08-2012, 08:36 AM
I think the face needs a bit more contrast. And the mouth seems a bit too big

hummerseeker
01-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks! :)

hummerseeker
01-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I've worked on her face until I'm fairly well satisfied. I'll come back to it after I've worked on the outfit she's wearing. Any more C and C's??

hummerseeker
01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Here is the final, I think.....at least for now. :rolleyes: I may change my mind when looking with fresh eyes tomorrow.

lt_scout
01-09-2012, 12:27 AM
I think this piece is great and your drawing is excellent. I don't think the mouth is too big unless you're trying to copy the photo exactly, the mouth is easily plausible. You know him better than us, therefore you can best judge the likeness or character etc. Very well done.

If I was to offer any CC, watch your values as it relates to the sphere-form which is his head, face and chest. Were you to establish the transition from a slightly darker shadow to the light areas, thereby creating a touch more contrast between dark and light... this portrait would be superb. An easy mod if you felt it warranted.

Nice work

hummerseeker
01-09-2012, 12:49 AM
I think this piece is great and your drawing is excellent. I don't think the mouth is too big unless you're trying to copy the photo exactly, the mouth is easily plausible. You know him better than us, therefore you can best judge the likeness or character etc. Very well done.

If I was to offer any CC, watch your values as it relates to the sphere-form which is his head, face and chest. Were you to establish the transition from a slightly darker shadow to the light areas, thereby creating a touch more contrast between dark and light... this portrait would be superb. An easy mod if you felt it warranted.

Nice work
Thank you very much for your comments. I do appreciate them! I do think the photo washes out some of the contrast, but I can see how I could put in some darker darks. While working some of the darks earlier, they seemed too dark to me and I lightened them back up again. I think for this piece I'm leaving it be for fear of messing it up. Maybe I can be bolder on the next one.

RPut
01-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Oh she is quite the cutie and I think you did well!

hummerseeker
01-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Thank you Ruthie!

Well, I sent the painting off to the proud parents as is. They are thrilled, so that's all that counts :)

DominicM
01-10-2012, 01:44 AM
excellent - well done

querin
01-10-2012, 05:25 PM
This is lovely what I see the right side is in highlight I would show that mor,e where the,top lip meets the mouth there is a darker strip in the ref photo .My suggenstion realy look at the photo and play on the light and shadow that helps with creating form .The buttock area is more in shadow bring some of the b/g color onto it I use light against dark and vise virsa to realy caputure the nuinsance some of the b/g color could be added to some of the clothing folds in shadow.I take 2 piece of paper with a small hole punch place one on the ref image one on my work this helps isolate the color to see is it warmer /cooler this also helps with form.
querin

OkeeKat
01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Karen, this is amazing!!
You did a great job on this adorable little one!!
I'd leave it as it is.. great work!!

hummerseeker
01-10-2012, 10:44 PM
querin, thank you for your input! I like the hole in the paper idea, but I had to paint this from a photo on Facebook and that would have been tough to do on a computer screen. I will keep that technique in mind for subsequent pieces, though!

Kathie, thanks :) I did end up sending the photo of it to the mom for her reaction. She was over the moon happy and surprised (I didn't tell her I was going to do it) and so I went ahead and matted it and shipped it to her as it is!

I think on my next portrait, though, I will keep in mind the bits of advice from all!! All advice is much appreciated!!