PDA

View Full Version : It is not you, it is WC

Colorix
01-07-2012, 11:27 AM
The site crashed today, or last night or early morning for many of you. Unless they can recover it, several threads and posts may have vanished forever.

Looks to me like 2 days are missing.

Jon
01-07-2012, 11:34 AM
The site had scheduled maintenance between 3 AM and 7 AM EST and during that time WC lost some threads and posts. The techs will be notified, but I have no idea if they can be recovered.

allydoodle
01-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I think it's more than just some threads and posts, there looks to be a lot that is missing. It's too bad if they cannot be recovered, that is quite a bit to be forever lost :crying: .

Jon
01-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Yes, it is too bad; it affects two full days of posts. We can only cross our fingers that the techs are able to recover them.
Thank you very much for your patience.

Orchid Lady
01-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I had some posts on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday ( in this forum, Photography and A&W) and they are all gone! :crying:

*Deirdre*
01-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks Charlie - As Jon said...it was scheduled - and notified by Sarah Allspaw, the Community Manager, Last night ...all we can do now is wait, to see if they can retrieve it...if not, we'll probably have to do as before...and pop all the broken ones into Merethe's thread for collection....but we'll wait a while first...in case we don't have to!:D

RainySea
01-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Looks to be just about everything since Jan 3rd is gone

johndill01
01-07-2012, 01:14 PM
I just went out to check on the 2 puzzles, only to discover that all the work I put deleting erroneous posts and posting in the correct place were wiped out and replaced by data that is at least 3 days old. Whatever happened to making a full backup before starting work on a database???? And by the way, It's not just my work, but all the work of everyone posting here in the last 2 to 3 days.

John

*Deirdre*
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
As I said ...we'll just have to wait...they might be able to get it back...be patient!!:)

Dcam
01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
It might not be a good idea to start a thread this weekend, if important. Never know what could happen.

I have no guilt, most of my comments were very positive thanks to the beautiful work of our WC pastel artists. :thumbsup:
Derek

sketchZ1ol
01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
hello
an ' All Alert ' might be just three, four subsets ...
> it happened each time last year .
a notice/reminder can't be That difficult ...?
>> a clear and detailed explanation
would be good , with all considerations .

Ed :}

*Marina*
01-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Ed there was a notification. I saw it last night just above the forums.

Jon
01-07-2012, 02:27 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14262741#post14262741

Hello All,

WC's database replication process is taking a very long time because of its enormous size. The exponential growth of WC was actually the reason we needed to add a new web head & storage, etc. during last night's round of maintenance/upgrades.

In order to bring the site back online this morning, while the database replication is allowed to continue, we had to revert to a version from before the maintenance period.

So, as the replication process is completed, the databases will be merged and presently missing content will return. No data has been lost, it's all still there. So it should be just a matter of time before the missing content is returned.

We're sorry that this is taking longer than expected...but very much appreciate your patience while this process is completed.

Dcam
01-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Jon: Thanks so much!

Derek

Ruthie57
01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Hurrah! So everything should be back eventually :crossfingers:

mollerman
01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
I sent a note to the administrator yesterday. The site seemed to be running slow, having to double click to get anywhere and my computer was freezing up on this site alone? Wonder if anyone else was experiencing these issues?

Already things seem to be working better. Hurray, we are still in business!

crazywoman53
01-07-2012, 04:20 PM
I am so glad this forum keeps up with things. I was reading posts in another forum and noticed a post I had made was missing. I was beginning to get paranoid.. sounds like they've got control of things for us anyway.

Davkin
01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Deja Vu?

*Deirdre*
01-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I've reported the missing Pastel Project as well, so as someone will look out for it on their round up! Thanks for being patient! :D

Colorix
01-07-2012, 04:58 PM
As so few notice the notices... maybe they could be made more, like, visible?

And, type, when one tries to, like, log in, like, one gets the message "Database Error", which definitely isn't spelled like a sign saying "Maintenance work ongoing".

Right, things could be made easier for users, like.

allydoodle
01-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I am so pleased the posts and threads arent' lost, that's the most important thing I think. The rest of this is certainly an inconvenience, but having those posts and threads retrieved is really fantastic. I'm sure there is a lot of work/time put into them, so it's great to know all will be restored. I'm always grateful for the little things..... and the bigger things too :lol: .

Turpintine45
01-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I know looking after this site must be a mammoth job considering what has to be done to keep our own pc's in order with back ups and such. My only suggestion would be for a notice to be put in all the forums in the threads where everyone looks. I don't notice the stuff at the top of the page and it would seem many people don't either. That way it would be noticed right away and everyone would be prepared. Just a thought.

japonaise
01-08-2012, 01:01 AM
To expand on Charlie's and others' comments, a crash is an unexpected and frustrating experience for any user of any website. "Scheduled maintenance" is an all together different event.

Generally, when a 24/7 website is about to go through a scheduled test or update, the users/members are notified so that they can back up their info or take their own chances.

I receive regular notices via email regarding PMs on WC. Is it not possible to send PMs to members regarding site maintenance? Relying on all of us to log onto the site to read the "notice" just before the site goes down is pretty iffy.

Positivity is a plus - took my very first Tai Chi class today - but then I had to spend 90 minutes trying to figure out what happened to my Swap Shop thread, why I was getting PMs regarding items that had been sold and removed from WC, and scribing PMs to other WCs to ask them to resend their email and postal addresses. And that was only my experience. Amplify that by the thousands of the other WCs.

Please include a better member notification process into your current update plan. J

As so few notice the notices... maybe they could be made more, like, visible?

And, type, when one tries to, like, log in, like, one gets the message "Database Error", which definitely isn't spelled like a sign saying "Maintenance work ongoing".

Right, things could be made easier for users, like.

*Deirdre*
01-08-2012, 02:02 AM
When the last few days have been restored - we'll be able to see the notification that was done throughout the site...however, given that there are 10,249,493, Members: I would imagine that many PMs would be enough to crash the site!!:)

John Palmer Fine Art
01-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Hi Deirdre, I just noticed that my user name and banner details have all reverted to the old style how they were end of last year, do you think they will be restored?
Best wishes and a Happy New Year to all,
John

*Deirdre*
01-08-2012, 07:51 AM
There are quite a few with missing Avatars ect...this was on the site announcement...Dan Sargent ( Online Site Manager)
Hello All,

WC's database replication process is taking a very long time because of its enormous size. The exponential growth of WC was actually the reason we needed to add a new web head & storage, etc. during last night's round of maintenance/upgrades.

In order to bring the site back online this morning, while the database replication is allowed to continue, we had to revert to a version from before the maintenance period.

So, as the replication process is completed, the databases will be merged and presently missing content will return. No data has been lost, it's all still there. So it should be just a matter of time before the missing content is returned.

We're sorry that this is taking longer than expected...but very much appreciate your patience while this process is completed.

John Palmer Fine Art
01-08-2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks Deirdre!

robertsloan2
01-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Oh wow.

I bet that was the PM that vanished that the site says is in my Inbox. I will laugh out loud if that's what the PM is - the notice of the upcoming maintenance and stuff.

I tried to post at the time it went down after several days absence due to being too sick even to hang out online. Got annoyed when the site went down but it wasn't the first time, was glad to see it again today.

A mystery PM though, that leaves me wondering who sent what. If it's the notice... then that's just less to worry about that someone hasn't resent it and it isn't something more personal and urgent. Very glad it'll all come back so I can find out though!

NRC
01-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Does anyone know if our recently added favourites will reappear when the posts do or will they need to be saved again?

mollerman
01-09-2012, 02:17 PM
I just realized I had lost about 60 posts to threads! My appologies to those threads I may have commented on but may be lost?

saramathewson
01-09-2012, 11:39 PM
this morning i logged on to re-read some PM's regarding some stuff in the swap shop and all of the PM's regarding that post were missing. I kept trying to see if i was just not seeing them etc. i thought it was something with me! LOL! Of course the person that i was PM's wth also lost the whole thread so we had to restart and figure things out again. Luckily I wrote things down in a notebook. I'm having terrible memory problems since my seizures back in Nov. and so i've started to write down everything I think I need to know and I write it as detailed as I can so that ended up being a good thing:)

I mean I even forget to eat and drink. It is so strange. That is why i thought I had done something to delete these messages or something like that! I'm glad it wasn't me.

Sara

Colorix
01-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Oh, Sara, sorry about your seizures! May you recover completely.

*Deirdre*
01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
For those who missed it! This is where to find it...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2012/33616-announcements.gif

Barbara WC
01-11-2012, 03:19 PM
When the last few days have been restored - we'll be able to see the notification that was done throughout the site...however, given that there are 10,249,493, Members: I would imagine that many PMs would be enough to crash the site!!:)

Hi Deidre-

I am curious where you got the 10 million member number?

When I go to the WC homepage, www.wetcanvas.com (http://www.wetcanvas.com), these are the stats I see (sorry, I don't know how to take a screen snapshot):

Current WetCanvas statistics:
Members: 285,575. Online now: 3174. Posts: 9,808,282

Members: 285,575 Online Now: 3174 Posts: 9,808,282 Library Images:

Thanks.

*Deirdre*
01-11-2012, 04:49 PM
OOPS it was me who made the mistake...I've checked three times tonight....on the 3rd go I realised I'd inadvertently copied the number of posts with the text 'members'....more speed less haste Deirdre!:o

I apologise to all our members....all 285,577 of them!:D

Barbara WC
01-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Phew! Even though WC has 285,000 members, it still has a bit of a "small community" feel, not sure that would be true if we did have 10 million members! Imagine how long the threads would get! :lol:

*Deirdre*
01-11-2012, 09:11 PM
I was having a bad day Barbara...pc kept cutting out...and died the following day!:( http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jan-2012/33616-11613-computer_orderlies.gif Have had to get a new one...and began the long process of restoring files & programmes....arrrrgh! So what's a few million members between friends eh?:evil: :lol: