PDA

View Full Version : Insane Idea

rd2ruin
03-21-2003, 03:20 AM
This is going to seem like a ridiculous idea, but I've been thinkin'... (can you smell the smoke? :) )

We all like pastels. A great deal of us are pastelling for the fun of it, and we all have a great time here helping each other out.

Here comes the ridiculous idea... :D

Is there a way we could arrange a 'pastel exchange'? I'm thinking we all have some pieces out there that we're not going to sell that are just going to collect dust eventually. Or one of those quick pastel weeklies that were done on a whim just to do them.

I think it would be fun to spend a couple dollars, or pounds, or whatever, to send someone from the forum an original pastel. Have a kinda 'pollyanna'. I'd be honered to have anyone's painting here hanging on my wall, from beginner to stalwart. Not because it's technically brilliant, but something to remind me that there's someone out there, just like me, that's creating these paintings for others to enjoy.

I have no idear how to set that up, maybe get a list and pick a 'pastel buddy' in the same geographical area (so shipping and postage wouldn't break our wallets). Would anyone be interested in something like this?

Cheers!
- Greg

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 04:21 AM
Greg, I've mentioned in several threads that I am involved currently in the Postcard Project #4. This has been wonderful fun because I have received beautiful little works of art from WC artists all over the world. Even better, I have had a reason and opportunity to force myself to produce 25 little works of art in a relatively sort period of time.

The way this project (and it's the fourth of it's kind) is set up, all the people interested in participating submit their names and addresses to the project moderator who then creates a mailing list and provides it to each project member. Each member then creates a postcard for each of the others and mails them. It's like Christmas every day going to the mailbox.

Anyway, I like your idea and think it could work if set up like the postcard project. The difference might be that the moderator assigns each memeber of the project a person to send a work of art. Sort of like a gift exchange. That way it can't become a popularity contest. Also it's exciting to own a piece of artwork from someone half way around the world. And the cost is nominal. A 1-ounce envelope can be sent anywhere in the world for $.80 US.

I hope your idea goes over. My appetite is whetted for owning some original art from people I talk to on this forum.

soap
03-21-2003, 04:24 AM
I like the postcard idea very much too. Maybe we can limit it to the pastelists?
Just a thought.

E-J
03-21-2003, 04:29 AM
This is a great idea but I would need some guidance on how to pack up a pastel painting adequately so that it doesn't get damaged in the post. Would hate to think of someone opening the envelope to find a blank piece of paper and a pile of coloured dust :(

soap
03-21-2003, 04:38 AM
Would hate to think of someone opening the envelope to find a blank piece of paper and a pile of coloured dust

:D :D LOL

Smudger
03-21-2003, 05:11 AM
Great Idea!!!... hold on i've only got 2 and a half paintings, i better get my finger out!:D

llis
03-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Great idea.

Another way you can do this is just by putting your name in a thread and saying that you have a pastel painting to swap.

Then the first one to see your ad can send you their address and agree to send you a pastel painting back. That way there is no deadline, those that only want to participate for a short time can do so, those that want to participate lots of times can do so.

Only thing they have to do is be the first one to post wanting to exchange with you and not exchanged with you before. ( What a way to boost traffic to the pastel forum! )

Example:

Announcement: Pastel Swap

I have a pastel painting for swap. Be the first one to post to this thread and send me your address saying you have a pastel painting to swap with me and I'll send you my address so the exchange can take place. See my swap image below and please do post your image.

E-J
03-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Right then, I'd just like to get in first and say that I want ALL of erinj, sundiver and doe's weekly sketches :D ... oh, and there's a space on my wall that I'm sure is just the right size for Minky's geranium... LOL

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 12:27 PM
Many of my postcards were pastel or oil pastel. I placed a piece of glassiene (sp?) over the pastel and another piece of heavy cardstock over that and put it in the envelope. They were all received undamaged.

Redsy333
03-21-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 1mpete
Many of my postcards were pastel or oil pastel. I placed a piece of glassiene (sp?) over the pastel and another piece of heavy cardstock over that and put it in the envelope. They were all received undamaged.

Yep...lol thats what I was going to say! I ship my pastels out with a fix of spray, glassine and they travel fine:D Sometimes I use the 2 sided mounting squares to separate the Cardstock from the pastel to keep it from rubbing wrong. :D

We do something like this for the holiday gift exchange! We could do the same here. You send your name to designated peeps in charge of project, once all the names are collected, they randomly pull out names. Like gift exchange, the twist is, that you dont know who has your name...till the day/nite they present them online!
We could do something like that too! Combine all the ideas into one. Set up a size...swap names and mail! You dont know who has your name till you open the mailbox to see what you got:D, Then we could start a thread...post the work we recieve:D Switheroo!! LOL
Only withdrawl to all this....is that the mail is slow from here to overseas:(
Just my usual babble...lol :D But count me in, not sure who would want it but ill do some chicken scratch and mail:D hehe

Mikki Petersen
03-21-2003, 10:59 PM
Oh for joy, Greg! It looks like your idea is going to fly. You sure are handy with brain of yours.

angeline
03-22-2003, 07:08 PM
I'm game to join in........oh heck I better get practicing!

sundiver
03-23-2003, 05:51 PM
In Postcard Project 3, I sent and received pastels that were in wax paper and reinforced with some fairly stiff card. They arrived in good condition.

Gaka
03-24-2003, 04:05 AM
Great idea Greg

I agree with Redsy in picking the names out of a Hat, My only suggestion is limiting the maximun size of each work to 8in x 8in or 200mm x 200mm. If it is any bigger than this it will take me an eternity to complete.

Write my name on the Blackboard for this idea!

Gaka

rwhale
03-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Sounds like a fun idea to me!! Count me in!:D

-Roger