PDA

View Full Version : Drypoint mark-making?

timelady
03-20-2003, 04:47 PM
Hoping to get the press a bit next week!!!! :)

I've done some drypoint on aluminum but really want to get very large wide soft lines. I've seen them in some Diebenkorn drypoints recently but always liked them in Anita Klein's work (a London printmaker). I've read some people use nails and other kinds of tools but I can't quite figure out how best to do this. I'm thinking of using a hammer to sort of chisel out a deeper line with my drypoint needle (or a nail - aluminium is very soft anyway).

Any other ideas? Anyone succeeded in getting a nice big burr on their lines? (I'm only looking to get 3 or 4 prints from the plate and don't mind re-carving the lines as they'll be monoprints)

Tina.

sassybird
03-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Right now Dick Blick has a set of 6 Burins for $39.99, which is a great price considering I paid $10 for the one I have. Each of these Burins have different end that will give you the effects you are looking for. The handles fit comfortably in your hand, but they do take a bit of practice to get used to them. Another good thing about them is that they can be used on metal or wood. I don't see the sharpening tool in the newest catalog that is used to angle the burin properly for sharpening on a stone, but I am sure that if you look on the website they may have it there.

Another thing I like to use is a dremmel which has loads of fun bits to play with. The dremmel with the cable gives you more freedom of movement, and it doesn't leave you hand numb...lol

Around the house you can use anything that will raise a burr on the plate. I would suggest that you experiment on what works best for you. You can use your whistlers needle to obtain larger fuzzier lines, but that means going over and over the same area, enlarging it as you go. IMHO that is PITA...lol

Congratulations on the new press. I know that excitement :D It will be great to see some of your work.